How hard is it to learn loonix to the point where you are proficient in a terminal and can do all sorts of neworking...

How hard is it to learn loonix to the point where you are proficient in a terminal and can do all sorts of neworking stuff, like sshing into a headless machine and adjusting its running servies and whatnot..?
I used to work as a windows IT guy, but i actually never touched linux in my life and want to give it a fair shot.

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
zdnet.com/article/why-ive-finally-had-it-with-my-linux-server-and-im-moving-back-to-windows/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you are tech savvy then you should be able to pick it up with time. Lots of commands to know and understand, but the interface to them is pretty straightforward.

It's pretty easy.
I used the FreeBSD handbook to learn, and it worked.

why the fuck would you want to learn a dying system?
linux marketshare is getting smaller every day, it's almost nonexistent in the desktop use, and it's being pushed out by windows even out of its intended domain - server usage. More than 50% nonweb of servers run on windows nowadays and the number of windows webservers grows rapidly as well.
Learning linux is like learning ancient aramaic and expecting it to be actually useful

>I don't like something and you shouldn't like it too.

I wish Cirno was my friend

;_;

>i chose to ignore statistics clearly showing the linux is dying and am going to waste my time by investing it a technology which is more and more obscure by each passing day

Just get something with something on it and fuck around with it for a bit. You'll pick up the important stuff within the first week

we all do, user. we all do.

the basic stuff isn't nearly as hard as it looks and you can pick up the essentials in an afternoon.

where it gets hard is when you want to (for example) fuck with firewall rules from the command line. But if you knew your shit in the windows world it's nothing that you won't be able to learn.

(You)

Maybe he need an openstack job as me. :P

> Yes, senpai! I'll buy all those licenses for dev, test- and release servers! I'm not poor! Fuck me harder, MS!

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

>more than 50%

[citation needed]

>How hard is it to learn
Easy.

One afternoon to get to the basic. Another afternoon for the rest you mention.

The command you need to know first is "man", especially "man -k "

100 hours of actual reading, study and experimenting and you'll be off to a pretty solid start. Best to spread it out a bit so your brain absorbs it all without burning out and forgetting important shit ... so two three-hour sessions a day on average.

After that, you need to decide what you're using linux for and target your priorities for another 100 hours.

tl;dr -- about a month if you're not acting like king of the retarded asslords and actually put honest effort in.

linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
This is a nice book covering all you need to know to use the cli. For specific commands you can read the manpage to learn those. I'd say you can learn to use Linux for not too difficult server stuff within 1 or 2 months.
And besides all that. When you realise what you can do with Linux and what is running Linux you notice how nice it is to have the knowledge.

lmfao, that picture is gey as fuck. Of COURSE I can interact with /mai/ waifu.

Don't be an aho, baka~!

>not obtaining the industry standard software free through high seas piracy

>How hard is it to learn loonix to the point where you are proficient in a terminal and can do all sorts of neworking stuff, like sshing into a headless machine and adjusting its running servies and whatnot..?
That's fucking easy, it'll take you an hour at most

Don't.
Unless you are a neet and your time has no value then linux is useless.
zdnet.com/article/why-ive-finally-had-it-with-my-linux-server-and-im-moving-back-to-windows/

A few hours in code academy.

Install Linux, compile some shit, practice grep, cat, touch, find, xargs, awk, bash/perl5, and process handling (top, ps, nice, kill, killall and others)

Then, install Solaris and repeat

When you finish you will be proficient using Unix