Limits on unlimited data

>limits on unlimited data

>2016

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/t-mobile-ends-cheaper-plans-and-imposes-new-limits-on-unlimited-data/

Other urls found in this thread:

consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/article_attachments/202626474/openinternet.pdf
rogers.com/consumer/wireless/smartphone-plans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>throttles video to 480p
What? Why do you guys accept this?

My data has always throttled after a set amount. After 4 gigs I'm dropped to 3g coverage nowadays.

obama save us
please just nationalize deutsche telekom's assets in the US

After reading this.

Tmobile is shit.

FUCKING OBAMA YOU MADE ME A RACIST

Jesus, youe American ISPs and networks are terrible. Laughing from my €20 a month unlimited data phone.

>tfw quotas on """" unlimited""" has been the norm in my country for years now
>tfw """ unlimited""" only means that you won't have to pay shitloads of money for using your connection after having exceeded your quota

*Your
Damn morning typing.

I pay exactly 0$ and I get "unlimited" 50kbs data too.

>tfw 5€ unlimited mobile internet in Romania (21.6 Mb/s)
Life feels good when you're not American.

>no safe tap water
>poor housing
>bad health care
But hey, look at this cheap internet I subscribed to with my 300 bucks a month salary.

Off yourself.

he's probably not living in a gypsy town

The tap water is safe and the housing is slick.
I must say that the healthcare is indeed shitty, sadly.

The salary varies from 200€ to 1000€, but if you're employed at a computer-related company like Ubisoft (Ubisoft really loves us) you easily get 3000€+ per month. The prices here for any product are insanely low, so if you know how to manage your shit then life is pretty good in Romania.

The gypsies are a pain in the neck, but if you live in a big city you'll see them very rarely.

If I can comfortably watch 480p video on a 24" screen from 1 metre away, there is no reason it should be 'unacceptable' on a 4"-6" screen from 0.5 metres away.

>lives in uk
>unlimited data £24 a month

Feels good :)

I thought all of those hipster commercials of T-Mobile being the "Un-Carrier" made it "truly unlimited" and shit like that.

That was last I remember. I don't use T-Mobile. I'm a poorfag with Cricket.

Why is every cell carrier so shitty with limits and throttling?

Australia's only internet user is laughing at your new limits.

because there isnt that much of a benefit to anything higher on a fucking 5" screen unless you hold it 3 inches away from your face
enjoy your over crowding and getting raped by migrants

Murrika!

I thought you were talking about the US when you mentioned no safe tap water, poor housing and bad healthcare.

You're literally the same as Romania from a Northern European standpoint

>inb4 muh war machinery and no automatic rifles

Verizon doesn't throttle those few left with unlimited plans, but they've started sending out termination letters to heavy users (>150GB IIRC).

I only use 20-30GB between two phones so I'm not worried. The $230 a month cost is killing me though ever since they raised the price for unlimited from $30 to $50. That's even with 20% discount through my employer.

>65$ for 6GB of data

What the fuck??
I'm paying like 20€ for 60GB
Unlimited data is like 30€
What the fuck, USA??

Tbh this is all because of the assholes who who terrabytes of mobile data. It's essentially abuse but the term 'unlimited' gives normies a high. Imposing limits won't effect 99% of the people using the plan.

>expecting Deutsche Telekom to be good
topkek, you haven't seen nothing yet

>unlimited data
>but using more than the average is "abuse"
Are you retarded? Don't offer unlimited if you can't actually deliver

Magnitudes more.

It's worse in Canada

6GB will be at least $90-95, and often over $100

Unlimited 4g for 20 euro Ireland banter

Stops tethering to pc I suppose

What is wrong with amurica? Meanwhile europoors get unlimited 4G for dirt cheap and are starting to enjoy 5G

Are they getting rid of stashing? I've been slowly building up my allotment for a few years now, was it all in vain?

pffff america
i got unlimited 4g + 100|100 absolutely free of charge lmao

finland wins again

How are they even allowed to called it unlimited?
Corporations unironically run the USA.

You can only hold 20GB and data only keeps for a year.
Current plans aren't forced to switch, they haven't even phased out buying the current plans, which they will eventually.

are you serious?
Watch something on youtube. Then change the resolution. Even at an arms length, you can see a clear difference.
Stuff like text is unreadable with lower resolution and everything else just looks worse.

T-Mobile will be in violation of the Open Internet Order by delivering video traffic at a throttled rate unless given an additional fee.
The only reason the current zero rating system was allowed was because it was entirely optional without financial burden and provided a consumer benefit.

File a complaint with the FCC:

consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/article_attachments/202626474/openinternet.pdf

at least it's better then Canada. Using your own phone on a month-to-month plan for nationwide talk/text + 1GB of Data = 80$ a month before tax

Yes, that's why you call it unlimited.

lol

>am on plan with parents and 1 other person so 4 people total
>we have 30gb of data between us
>every gb over they charge use 20$
>i don't use data so whatever
>mother uses it like crazy, they usually pay and extra 100 to 200 $ a month

>Romania
>if you're employed at a computer-related company
We somehow got the only fuckers in the country to host a big datacenter whose employees have shit internet.
Romanians are kinda ok as far as tech goes, but i've worked in the logistic business too and holy fuck, the truck drivers had an IQ lower than the number of wheels the trucks have.

No it was to appeal to normies to pay higher fees to use not much more. It backfired and they're on damage control. Their intention was never to provide unlimited internet.

Cellular carriers are literal cancer. Only outshone by the actual US government and it's related jews, as well as the entire medical industry.

HAIL HAIL FREEDONIA

Where's that tmoblie shill when you need him?

We don't. This is being regarded as the worst plan ever by pretty much everyone on both Twitter and Reddit.

>Twitter and Reddit

Just wait until ISPs start capping data. That will be it then. The internet will die overnight.

But the thing is, people don't read the fine print. It's "unlimited*" with that * showing for like half a second and the size of a pixel.

They say unlimited but after a certain amount they reduce your speeds. They could say it's truly unlimited and in the fine print they say after 15gbs your speed is reduced too 1kpbs.

People really need to learn to read.

It's easier for them to be honest in advertising than to get people to read a EULA and the fine print. They know exactly what they're doing anyways and it skirts the ethics of the matter. Instead of unlimited it should read for example 6GB data at 4G/LTE speeds and in fine print 3G/2G once over. It's pretty simple and yes it's usually said in the fine print but labeling it as Unlimited is disingenuous at best. A spade is a spade.

>A spade is a spade.

>Unlimited* Spade

>*transmogrifies into a spoon after 5 spadefuls dug each month

My Three nigga. It's not even €20 since we keep the credit.

>living in a literally third world country
>rock solid unlimited LTE Advanced (4G+) for ~15$ in a month
How is that possible?

I'll just stick to my 99 pln plan with 50gb.

If you don't want this, don't support them.

>unlimited2034*i**9 4G LTE

oh well
rip supscript

>tfw unlimited with verizon
feels good man

unlimited UDP or just TCP only?

more reason to vote for memes

>mobama care

Shet son, even in my shitty country where everything is overpriced as hell (see: RX 480 for 650 USD) we got unlimited plans for 26 USD.

What were the changes to Verizon?

im not familiar with this so youll have to explain what you mean. i can do whatever i want with my unlimited data except things that require port forwarding
using currymod on my phone so hotspot is also unlimited LTE

>Jesus, youe American ISPs and networks are terrible. Laughing from my €20 a month unlimited data phone.
I'm paying five.

Fight me.

America is third world too. Third worlds vary.

>tfw only pay $55 a month to boost, get legit unlimited high speed data and stream 1080p youtube on my phone all day with 0 problems

my previous operator claims unlimited traffic but thats only for TCP, they offers only 500mb of UDP. That was sad because my VPN based on UDP tunneling so im fucked up with that. Now I changed to a real unlimited plan which offers unlimited UDP too.

If you use your phone only for Sup Forums, youtube, facebook or general web browsing, you probably cant notice it because all web runs over TCP (expect the google's new QUIC protocol which is implemented over UDP but its support TCP/SPDY or TCP/HTTP fallback if UDP blocked)

I live in hungary, middle of europe

>6GB
>$100 CAD

rogers.com/consumer/wireless/smartphone-plans

what if I run it though a vpn?

they cant tell what is in SSL encrypted packets

no way to throttle that or impose restriction if they dont know what I am doing

But they say unlimited data meaning the user can have access too all his things but they don't have to mention speed.
To the companies, as long the user has Internet access, that's unlimited data for them, no matter the speed.

> Live in a third world shithole
> Get data plans that advertise "free" "unlimited" facebook
> It's a stripped down Facebook version that won't even load images or videos
> You have to use your data allowance to view those
Just end my life senpaitachi. I only get 350mb a month on my data plan and "free" "unlimited" facebook

I have a 1000/1000 connection that costs less than an hour of work

yeah well I have a 100/10 connection that goes out every single day for only $100 american pesos

Limited unlimited data, how innovative!

>live in Canada
>dollar is shit
>no unlimited data on Rogers
>5 GBs of data but unlimted everything
>$115 on a 2 year term

>unlimited data is possible in Canada
>if you only want 2 GBs of 3G then after it's 2G
>fuck my life

I hope this shitty exemption to net neutrality gets struck down, fuck everything about this shit any any company that practices it

I don't use unlimited since I rarely use mobile data anyway.

Hahahaha you cucks. I pay 16€ for an actual unlimited 150mbps mobile connection. I average about 50gb/month.

I have wifi so why the fuck would i need more than a few gb a month?

If I'm not at home, I'm probably:
>at work
>at a store
>at a bar with my pals
>hiking
None of these activities involve me being glued to my phone, what're y'all using your data on?

>home internet goes out every day
>sometimes for 12+ hours

Some of us use our phone as our home ISP as well. T-mobile is obviously not recommended for that.

Is it really that hard to believe someone might use more than 2GB of data while away from the house?

T-Mobile has shit coverage, that's why I switched to Cricket.

>the year 2016
>mobile data speeds are only 2x faster than dial up
>data usage limited to 2GB or 6GB
>watching standard definition video
>only approved radio stations can stream music without affecting data usage
oh but its over the internet so it's completely different

I mean, if you are good with deals you can ALWAYS negotiate a retention plan at like 4GB and ~$60 cdn, it's just most people are so fucking retarded they would rather complain about transgender bathroom rights instead of the $90 they pay for $90.

Those prices are robbery, no two ways about it. How the oligopoly hasn't been broken up is beyond me

>$90 they pay for 1gb

2 is around what I use, T Mobile is offering 6. I'm not suggesting it's impossible, I'm just honestly curious what you guys do that causes you to use so much data while you're out and about.

In America there is no mobile provider makes this possible, that I know of. I pay $60 a month for unlimited 4G, with 8gb of hotspot usage.

meanwhile elsewhere in the tech sector
>CPU performance has improved like 100x
>GPU performance has improved like 100x
>Hard disk densities have increased like 1000x and read/write speeds have improved like 10x
>NAND flash memory is now so dense you to store 128GB in a space smaller than a fingernail
>SSDs with read/write speeds 100x that of hard disks
>3D XPoint bringing even further improvements in density and speeds over NAND flash

How is it that these shitty internet companies have not found a way to make their internet not so garbage? Every other part of the tech industry have managed to improve. Making processors has to be way more complex, expensive, and risky than running some extra fucking wires. They're actually regressing with data caps.

Video uses a lot of data especially "HD" video (in other words video that is the same resolution as the phone's screen). I think if you browsed facebook you'd probably use it up quick because of all the videos and pictures there. They might actually exempt facebook but that doesn't make it right, it's an artificial limit and acts as a barrier to entry for small startups that cannot afford the toll.

>3k per month

Holy fuck the cost of living must be dirt cheap.

This. If we file enough complaints the FCC will do something about it.

Because America is run by a massive circlejerk that couldn't be bothered to even consider giving a shit about our welfare beyone what gets them back into power

Watching a few youtube videos here and there can't be that much? 5 minutes of 480p is like what, 25 mb? I honestly don't know, but i know Netflix in 1080 is like 4 gb an hour or something ridiculous.

But like, where do you use this data? I've found that if I'm away from home I'm either having fun or I'm busy working, running errands. If you take public transportation i could see that being an issue.

Well I only have chinese cartoons for reference on hand but even they're like 200-400MB for about ~24 minutes of video. I assume live action video could only be bigger. Youtube also has 60fps videos too now so that's another factor.

But that's just the happy case. The average salary is 500€ per month.

>Twitter and Reddit
:^)

>They pay less than $75 dollars per GB

lmao, get on my level you underpaying plebs.