In a few years time, ad blockers will be illegal. you know this to be true

In a few years time, ad blockers will be illegal. you know this to be true.

what can we do to stop or delay this? is there a solution to sites earning money without intrusive ads?

literaly can't happen

>you know this to be true
Sure, at the same time they block firewalls.

its simple. just host the ads on the same server as the page.

Yeah.
They could stop with INTRUSIVE ads.
I wouldn't mind ads if it was just a few static banners. All those blinking, moving banners, videos that start playing out of the blue, etc.etc. is the cancer that made ad blockers necessary.

quite the opposite, it's illegal for websites to block adblockers in EU

Even then surely we can filter what gets loaded from a page.

not if there is no way to tell what is legitimate content and what is an ad.

Any ads that are not an unobtrusive jpg banner should be made illegal.

I thought that was illegal in a bunch of countries.

Though I am fairly okay with self hosted ads. The main problem with web advertising is that the hosts don't really know what is being delivered to their visitors. It can be anything from obtrusive video ads, popups and malware.
They also don't know what legitimate products they are advertising and the loading of the adverts can have a negative impact on the feel of the site.

The problem with most web advertising is that it is done of the terms of the advertiser, rather than the hoster. The advertiser has the most control over the advertisements rather than the content provider.
It's completely backwards to all other advertising models.

Machine learning, databases of adds, it's not completely hopeless.

How the fuck do you block those ads that keep changing every time you load the page?

As in, you block it, refresh or load another page from the same site, and it's still there.

I don't want to have to see turbogrannies flicking their ancient beans.

Aside from the fact it's not possible, people would simply stop visiting the site. It would be a massive opportunity for a competitor to step in and offer an ad-free service.

George Orwell's 1984 will be a reality in a decade or two. Hopefully Hawking knows his shit an AI slaughters us all by 2050. Humanity is shit.

Is it? What about BILD and the guy they sued the shit out of?
In many ways it's worse already

>In many ways it's worse already
I don't disagree.

How long until we're not allowed to travel without hazmat suits or live in houses without radiation protection?

/thread

this

even orwell couldnt have imagined that jews would do 9/11

what they usually do is generate an class id for classes, so you cannot automatically see what is advertisement or block a specific id.
Then they proxy all their advertisement through their own servers, so you cannot block it based on origin.

But I don't think they will find a way to work around the placement issue, as users will find it really weird if the content and ads were placed randomly on the page, but I wouldn't put it past them to do this as well.
They could also make the ads look more like content, so it would be even harder to block it on network level, but then they would nearly double the network traffic.
But the current method is to have the ads provide crucial functionality, so the site breaks.

Make ads non-intrusive that don't use cookies to fucking spy on your web browsing, simple plain jpg images, not animated, not flash or with sounds and not covering the page in the middle of reading "hey bro enjoying the article, too fucking bad heres an ad you piece of shit". The only ad that I actually liked was one that used the gyroscope on my phone to move some parts of it, very clever.