Why does my Steam gaming performance on Linux suck so much...

Why does my Steam gaming performance on Linux suck so much? Using the latest Nvidia drivers on Arch with 32 bit libraries installed. Rust and Insurgency are unplayable. Arch wiki doesn't have any tips either. Non-steam games work fine, just like games like DoD or CSS that don't have big hardware requirements. Are all the other games just badly optimized for linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-steam-integration/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> Arch
Consider trying to run it in a non-meme distro.

Install Windows

install gentoo

install windoo

>gaming
>on GNU/Linux

Because loonix sucks

Like?

>he fell for a meme perpetuated by neets and degree-less poverty line IT workers

specs?

The drivers are unoptimized shit since nobody's serious about using it for gaming.

Insurgency runs fine on my Arch machine.

>Rust
Garry stopped supporting it on Linux. Blame him

Something Debian derived that's actually supported. Why would you expect it to work with Arch, let alone put in the useless effort?

Big developers don't give a fuck about linux, the only 3D post 2012 ports that actually run well are the ones from vavle and croteam, and bishock infinite.

Confirmed has no idea what he's talking about. Having the most up to date kernel and video driver is essential for Linux gaming

Any linux distro works the same for gayming, as long as you have all of the packages you need.

I'm not an AMDPRO user. What the fuck do I care about the latest kernel?

Werks in my machineā„¢

If you want good performance and improved stability with steam games you'll have to either:
1)Switch to Solus
2)Set up aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-steam-integration/

A geat deal of issues with steam stem from the fact that valve ships runtime libraries from ubuntu 12.04 which are ancient and buggy.

You'll get better results with solus due to specifically preconfigured and prepatched kernel for such demanding tasks.

Nvidia are lazy as fuck with their Linux drivers.

NoVidya have seriously better drivers than MAD. I have radeon and I can't even play Life is strage.

>Linux

Found the problem

Does option 2 update all those runtime libraries you mentioned?

I don't really want to ditch Arch

>filename
>bazingernet exploder

>GNU/Linux
>Steam

top cuck

>Confirmed has no idea what he's talking about.

Says the retard talking about up to date kernels when OP uses closed source NVIDIA blob modules.

>Having the most up to date kernel and video driver is essential for Linux gaming

Why do archfags get such a hardon for "muh bleeding edge packages"

rust linux builds are really low priority. They probably dont optimize them at all and thats if you imply that they are trying to optimize the windows builds.

Because Steam doesnot give a shit about Linux. They made SteamOS which got overhyped but got fucking no where, only to satisfy Ubuntu losers, which is honestly good because the quality of Linux has decayed, it's like all constructive progress in Linux halted; so it's probably slow because your meme distro is a joke, and Steam doesn't give two fucks about you

>SteamOS which got overhyped but got fucking no where
It's hasn't even been a year. Steam itself took almost a decade to catch on. It was HATED at first

True this.

It's the year of our Lord, 2016, long development time is not a realistic thing anymore

People expect a new device, game, movie, anything come every 6 months, or the name fades out of people's head. Just look at Nokia, their struggle is mainly because they had a downfall, and as such, people just kinda forgot them, and never took them very seriously

really only game that i have on linux but have to use windows for is Rust. CS:GO is also fucking buggy on linux (nvidia memory.level bug and random fps drop to 4fps on some random round start with high shaders) but still beats random crashes that i get on windows (1/4 chance for the game to crash during loading, and often game crashes during round start). Other than that im really happy using steam on linux, especially since xboxdrv allows me to emulate xbox360 controller perfectly on my shitty natec genesis p44.

Could you pull some more bullshit out of your ass, please

Yeah probably

>I don't use it, so it's not relevant

New nvidia drivers work best with new kernels. Do you like bugs and shitty performance? Because old packages is how you get bugs and shitty performance

Ask me how I know you fell for the steam os meme

I've never even used it, I'm just saying it's not time to write it off yet.

Make sure AA is disabled, it caused me a lot of trouble with the nvidia linux drivers.

What? Most of the times NVIDIA drivers actually break every single time a kernel update is released until it's updated.

You need GNU, too.

This, the ones in my repos aren't working on 4.8rc2

>rc
Nice b8, m8

They're updated together with arch. Why are you updating them seperately

Right. So why's your performance so shit on your cutting edge kernel?

It's not. I'm not OP. He didn't even bother to come back and post his specs

>using LInux for gaming

1) Install whatever Linux you like
2) Install VM software with VGA-passthrough support
3) Install Windows 7, 8, 8.1. (or 10 if you REALLY want to)
4) Setup your GPU to be passed through to the Windows VM
5) Use internal graphics of motherboard for your Linux. (internal graphics is perfectly fine for non-gaming work)

Enjoy your gaming and good OS.

Bonus optional shit, strip your Windows VM of anything and everything that isn't essential for gaming.
Set it up to boot to your own program that will let you boot to Steam full-screen or whatever other gaming platforms you like.

Be sure to find a GPU and motherboard with support for VGA passthrough.
If it is recent, it will likely support it fine.

>he fell for "linux is viable for gaming" meme
enjoy nogaems and shit FPS

Considering the only games worth playing any more are 1.6 and TF2, Linux is perfectly viable

HAHA SAME OLD SONG WHERE LONIX USERS SAY HOW EVERX DISTRO IS SHIT THEN CLAIM LINUX IS BETTER THAN WINDOWS LOL

>Considering the only games worth playing any more are

This is like the lincuck gaming version of freetard software where nothing works and you just tell yourself you don't really need it anyway.

lonix so good that the users have to play 20 year old shit games

I only played them when I used Windows as well, so your argument is invalid

Nigga what?
I can play Insurgency on max at 1080p no problem.

You don't have to. Those are just the only games worth playing, period.

>Rust
unoptimized meme garbage. This really isn't anyone's fault but the devs.

>works on my machineā„¢

is it a gt 610 user?

No optimisation for Linux
Linux is a small market share so theirs no economic gain from spending time making stuff run smoother on Linux

When are you fucking Sup Forumsaggots going to realize that Steam is a piece of garbage? Not only that but playing titles like that on GNU/Linux? If you like gaymen then go back to Windows kid.

Dammit man why the hell would you want to use Linux to play steam games? Clearly windows is the right tool for that. You don't use a normal saw to cut through a metal bolt, you don't use a coffee maker to make tea, you don't use a toaster to grill fish, you don't put diesel in a petrol car, you don't join the army if you want peace in the world, you don't cum in your coffee if you've ran out of milk.
The right tool for the right job, faggit.

tried this a year back and i was too retarded to pull it off, did things get easier recently?

For Linux gaming, should I rather go with Solus, Debian or Arch? Solus seems interesting given how it is quite a comfy environment

See:

I have a windows computer for gaming, and a linux computer for everything else.

I hardly even turn on the windows computer anymore, because AAA titles are shit, and the few games I still play work perfectly fine on linux.

No integrated GPU here. Should I just buy a cheap-o GPU and run it side-by-side my 980ti?