Why is Apple so amazing?

Why is Apple so amazing?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html
truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/
telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358134/Apples-Jobs-confirms-iPhone-kill-switch.html
npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/apple-says-game-about-palestinian-child-isnt-a-game
ifixit.org/blog/7401/ifixit-app-pulled/
mashable.com/2014/02/07/apple-app-tracks-drone-strikes/
theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/01/siri-abortion-apple-unintenional-omissions
theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/22/stagefright-flaw-ios-iphone-imessage-apple
theintercept.com/2016/04/12/apple-bug-exposed-chat-history-with-a-single-click/
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart0=
theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/apple-music-subscribers-siri-questions
blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/
web.archive.org/web/20160608183145/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/
theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair
computerworld.com/article/2541250/apple-mac/update--apple-plays-hardball--upgrade--bricks--unlocked-iphones.html
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49951/how-can-i-download-free-apps-without-registering-an-apple-idcool
apple.com/icloud/photos/
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033
theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/naked-celebrity-hack-icloud-backup-jennifer-lawrence
gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html#digitalcash
finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/privacy-advocates-worry-over-new-apple-iphone-tracking-feature-161836223.html
arstechnica.com/apple/2014/05/new-guidelines-outline-what-iphone-data-apple-can-give-to-police/
washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html
firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/22/apple-data/
motherboard.vice.com/read/switzerland-wants-a-single-universal-phone-charger-by-2017
eff.org/deeplinks/2008/11/apple-downgrades-macbook-video-drm
arstechnica.com/apple/2007/08/aacs-tentacles/
boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-yo.html
boingboing.net/2014/02/07/apple-yanks-last-remaining-bit.html
weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2008/03/07/code-signing-and-you/
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/11/papers-please-game-ipad-nude-body-scans
9to5mac.com/2014/12/01/ios-8-1-signing-window-closed/
web.archive.org/web/20150721065208/http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Status
youtu.be/sfrYOWlKJ_g
youtu.be/t7XSckjRPo0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>image.jpg
You tell me

Wanna see my dick op?

not op but yes

>amazing
In what way?

Also, nice dubs.

OP here

It's my it amazing how easily apple products take on water damage

Isnt*

>black gloves

You don't know where that water came from

Is that an MBA mainboard or what?

Seconding this.

i think that's a motherboard from an old macbook

Nah, it's too small.

Can you hack it?

Apple's Operating Systems Are Malware
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html

Malware means software designed to function in ways that mistreat or harm the user. (This does not include accidental errors.) This page explains how the software in Apple's computer products are malware.

Malware and nonfree software are two different issues. The difference between free software and nonfree software is in whether the users have control of the program or vice versa. It's not directly a question of what the program does when it runs. However, in practice nonfree software is often malware, because the developer's awareness that the users would be powerless to fix any malicious functionalities tempts the developer to impose some.

Apple Back Doors

Mac OS X had an intentional local back door for 4 years, which could be exploited by attackers to gain root privileges.
truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/

The iPhone has a back door that allows Apple to remotely delete apps which Apple considers “inappropriate”. Jobs said it's OK for Apple to have this power because of course we can trust Apple.
telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358134/Apples-Jobs-confirms-iPhone-kill-switch.html

The iPhone has a back door for remote wipe. It's not always enabled, but users are led into enabling it without understanding.
npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone

Apple Censorship

Apple censors games, banning some games from the cr…app store because of which political points they suggest. Some political points are apparently considered acceptable.
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/apple-says-game-about-palestinian-child-isnt-a-game

Apple banned a program from the App Store because its developers committed the enormity of disassembling some iThings.
ifixit.org/blog/7401/ifixit-app-pulled/

Apple rejected an app that displayed the locations of US drone assassinations, giving various excuses. Each time the developers fixed one “problem”, Apple complained about another. After the fifth rejection, Apple admitted it was censoring the app based on the subject matter.

As of 2015, Apple systematically bans apps that endorse abortion rights or would help women find abortions.
mashable.com/2014/02/07/apple-app-tracks-drone-strikes/

This particular political slant affects other Apple services.
theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/01/siri-abortion-apple-unintenional-omissions

Apple Insecurity

A vulnerability in Apple's Image I/O API allowed an attacker to execute malacious code from any application which uses this API to render a certain kind of image file.
theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/22/stagefright-flaw-ios-iphone-imessage-apple

A bug in the iThings Messages app allowed a malicious web site to extract all the user's messaging history.
theintercept.com/2016/04/12/apple-bug-exposed-chat-history-with-a-single-click/

Apple Interference

Various proprietary programs often mess up the user's system. They are like sabotage, but they are not grave enough to qualify for the word “sabotage”. Nonetheless, they are nasty and wrong. This section describes examples of Apple committing interference.

Apple forced millions of iThings to download a system upgrade without asking the users. Apple did not forcibly install the upgrade but the downloading alone caused lots of trouble.
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart0=

Apple Pressuring

Proprietary companies can take advantage of their customers by imposing arbitrary limits to their use of the software. This section reports examples of hard sell and other unjust commercial tactics by Apple.

Apple Siri refuses to give you information about music charts if you're not an Apple Music subscriber.
theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/apple-music-subscribers-siri-questions

Apple Sabotage

The wrongs in this section are not precisely malware, since they do not involve making the program that runs in a way that hurts the user. But they are a lot like malware, since they are technical Apple actions that harm to the users of specific Apple software.

The Apple Music client program scans the user's file system for music files, copies them to an Apple server, and deletes them.
blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

Apple stops users from fixing the security bugs in Quicktime for Windows, while refusing to fix them itself.
web.archive.org/web/20160608183145/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/

iOS version 9 for iThings sabotages them irreparably if they were repaired by someone other than Apple. Apple eventually backed off from this policy under criticism from the users. However, it has not acknowledged that this was wrong.
theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

An Apple firmware “upgrade” bricked iPhones that had been unlocked. The “upgrade” also deactivated applications not approved by Apple censorship. All this was apparently intentional.
computerworld.com/article/2541250/apple-mac/update--apple-plays-hardball--upgrade--bricks--unlocked-iphones.html

Apple deleted from iPods the music that users had got from internet music stores that competed with iTunes.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs

Apple Surveillance

Users cannot make an Apple ID (necessary to install even gratis apps) without giving a valid email address and receiving the verification code Apple sends to it.
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49951/how-can-i-download-free-apps-without-registering-an-apple-idcool

iThings automatically upload to Apple's servers all the photos and videos they make.
apple.com/icloud/photos/
iCloud Photo Library stores every photo and video you take, and keeps them up to date on all your devices. Any edits you make are automatically updated everywhere. [...]
(From Apple's iCloud information as accessed on 24 Sep 2015.)

The iCloud feature is activated by the startup of iOS. The term “cloud” means “please don't ask where.”
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033

There is a way to deactivate iCloud, but it's active by default so it still counts as a surveillance functionality.

Unknown people apparently took advantage of this to get nude photos of many celebrities. They needed to break Apple's security to get at them, but NSA can access any of them through PRISM.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/naked-celebrity-hack-icloud-backup-jennifer-lawrence
gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html#digitalcash

It's a logic board from a MacBook Air

It's kind of nice for something so compact

The iBeacon lets stores determine exactly where the iThing is, and get other info too.
finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/privacy-advocates-worry-over-new-apple-iphone-tracking-feature-161836223.html

Apple can, and regularly does, remotely extract some data from iPhones for the state.
arstechnica.com/apple/2014/05/new-guidelines-outline-what-iphone-data-apple-can-give-to-police/

This may have improved with iOS 8 security improvements; but not as much as Apple claims.
washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html
firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/22/apple-data/

Apple DRM

Apple uses DRM software to prevent people from charging an iThing with a generic USB cable.
motherboard.vice.com/read/switzerland-wants-a-single-universal-phone-charger-by-2017

DRM (digital restrictions mechanisms) in MacOS. This article focuses on the fact that a new model of Macbook introduced a requirement for monitors to have malicious hardware, but DRM software in MacOS is involved in activating the hardware. The software for accessing iTunes is also responsible.
eff.org/deeplinks/2008/11/apple-downgrades-macbook-video-drm

DRM that caters to Bluray disks. (The article focused on Windows and said that MacOS would do the same thing subsequently.)
arstechnica.com/apple/2007/08/aacs-tentacles/

Apple Jails

iOS, the operating system of the Apple iThings, is a jail for users. That means it imposes censorship of application programs.
boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-yo.html

Apple has used this power to censor all bitcoin apps for the iThings.
boingboing.net/2014/02/07/apple-yanks-last-remaining-bit.html

Apple, in the iThings, pioneered the practice of general purpose computers that are jails, and the term comes from iThing users, who referred to escaping from the censorship as “jailbreaking.”

Here is an article about the code signing that the iThings use to jail the user.
weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2008/03/07/code-signing-and-you/

Curiously, Apple is beginning to allow limited passage through the walls of the the iThing jail: users can now install apps built from source code, provided the source code is written in Swift. Users cannot do this freely because they are required to identify themselves. Here are details.

While this is a crack in the prison walls, it is not big enough to mean that the iThings are no longer jails.

More examples of Apple's arbitrary and inconsistent censorship.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/11/papers-please-game-ipad-nude-body-scans

Apple Tyrants

Apple arbitrarily blocks users from installing old versions of iOS.
9to5mac.com/2014/12/01/ios-8-1-signing-window-closed/

The iThings are tyrant devices: they do not permit installing a different or modified operating system. There is a port of Android to the iThings, but installing it requires finding a bug or “exploit” to make it possible to install a different system.
web.archive.org/web/20150721065208/http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Status

>It's kind of nice that everything is soldered so that if one component dies the entire laptop goes to the trash

i'll have a look

>He doesn't know how to des older and resolved components on motherboards

Good thing I know how to do that ;^)

>Can't solder
You're pathetic.

>logic board
>falling for the apple meme words

Desolder*

This work iPhone sucks

>Assembled in China

>itoddler pretending he's ever touched a soldering iron

>browses /gee/
>knows how to solder

Kek

They manage to sell trash for money

DELETE THIS

>Child mad that he can't solder
Don't worry, one day your parents will let you use hot things.

don't tell anyone i said this but the new iphone circuit boards are going to be waterproof. they tried to do it with the iphone 6 but ran out of time

dont offer what you aint willin to deliver user

>damage controlling THIS hard to defend your fruity toys
lmao

Logic board is not an Apple phrase.

>He can't solder
Come back when you've done more than assembled legos and installed windows.

normal people say motherboard
literally only macfags say logic board
because they're so speshul

Yes because apple expects that the vast majority of their customers will replace soldered components when they fail. In fact this was a top down design intention. Apple knew and heeded the soldering prowess of their customers and did this as a cost saving measure, which is why their laptops are so inexpensive compared to PC options.

HURRR I watched how to solder on youtube, this is grounds to deny every criticism of apple DURRRR

>he can't change his ram in 2 seconds
Keep on damage controlling your fruity toys Rajeesh. :^)

>walking dead
whoever it is deserves apple
fucking retards

>Too much of a baby to solder
>Resorts to spamming Sup Forums to feel better about having to buy a new motherboard every time his computer won't POST

Logic board is a common term.
Is this your first week on Sup Forums?

>STILL damage controlling this hard over being cucked by his own devices

So they only sell you 30% of a motherboard?

>spends 25 minutes doing a 2 second task
>feels superior
many hues

Have I said anything about apple?
I'm calling you a newfag for acting like solder is some impossible obstacle.
>25 minutes
You're a special kind of skrub if it would take you that long.

>being this butthurt about a word
>being this butthurt about being outed as a hipster using a different word just to stand out
no, it is not. find me non retard macfags who use this instead of motherboard.

>i-i-i-it just werks!!!1111

>worlds fastest macfag
how many logic boards have you burned Pajeet?

>apple was the original poo in loo tech company

Holy shit.

>non retard macfags
That's a contradiction in terms.

I still haven't said anything about apple.
It's telling when neo Sup Forums would rather freak about semantics and how haaaaaard it is for them to solder, rather than talk about more legitimate drawbacks of using a mac.

I meant non (retard macfag) not (non retard) macfag, obviously.

Are you seriously arguing that macs can be repaired?

>This surprises people

Are you seriously arguing that soldered components are impossible to repair?

STREET

Are you seriously arguing being forced to solder is better than not being forced to solder to change basic components?

What?

>semantics
>how haaaaaard it is for them to solder
>legitimate drawbacks of using a mac
>>damage control this hard

how in the ever loving fuck is memory that you have to solder not a draw back? Most normies can replace PC memory over the phone. You MacFags, could be forcefed dogshit from apple and told it was for your own good.

You can't even easily open them and access the components. Soldering is the easy part. Look at iFixit reports.
I know macfags are retarded, but at this point you must be a troll.

Did I say it was better?
You just implied that macs are impossible to repair because they use soldered components, which implies that you believe solder is impossible to remove.
I'd say it is a drawback, but not the biggest drawback about using a mac.

It's just crashoverride, he'll be gone once September rolls around and middle school starts up again.

>backpeddling

>but not the biggest drawback about using a mac
you're right, OS X is.

>le harder is better meme
I know how to solder, but instead of having to get my kit out of the closet every time I want to do upgrades or fix things I'd rather just have a screwdriver and a piece that can snap in. It's 2016, interchangeable parts was a thing of the fucking 18th century.

Sure, macs sometimes make solid products, but you have to admit the lengths they go to for obsolescence are shameless.

/thread

>You can't even easily open them and access the components.
According to ifixit, for most of the laptops, you remove some torx screws and pull the bottom off. It doesn't look that hard to me. It looks like they made the imac even easier to take apart, which is a welcome change from the intense clusterfuck that G5s and early intel imacs used to be.
My point always was that complaining about solder is retarded, because soldering is piss easy.
That can be fixed with windows or gahnoo linux. I'd argue it's the lack of ports and non removable battery.

see pic

i bet you hate usb cables too, we should solder and desolder each time we want to plug a device

>My point always was that complaining about solder is retarded, because soldering is piss easy.

see

meanwhile in real life, this is the skills of macfags

>industry standard exists that eliminates the need to solder for changing major computer components
>apple ignores standard and goes out of its way to fuck over consumers and jew them
>b-b-b-but soldering iz so ez even tho i never touched a soldering iron!!111

Mactard logic.

>My point always was that complaining about solder is retarded, because soldering is piss easy.

wew lad!
you know whats easier
*snap*

>My point always was that complaining about compiling your packages from source is retarded, because compiling your packages from source is piss easy.

Macfags have reached Gentoofag autism tier.

>having to solder ram to your Apple® Logic Board™ is a privilege

I'm not denying it's easier, all of my hardware uses socketed RAM.
If you'd bother to read, you'd see that the first post I replied to was,
Which implied that the guy who posted it doesn't know how to solder, despite posting on a technology board.

this guy didn't solder

He's not wrong. That's literally what happens 99.999999% of the time when a fagbook dies from overheating itself.

So by your standards Apple doesn't know how to solder either because that's exactly what they do, trash it and replace it with a whole new board.

how can I solder this? help

>waterproof circuit boards
you retarded son?

Which one seems more practical to you?
>buy normal ram sticks
>open the area where ram slots are and replace the old ones in 15-20 seconds
Or
>search for compatible invidual ram chips
>desolder old chips
>solder new ones
>hope you didn't make a mistake and waste all the time you spent

I could move a video file that is around a gigabyte by splitting it onto a shitload of floppies instead of simply transferring it with a flash drive and claim that everyone else is a casual because of this but it wouldn't make sense, would it?

>If you'd bother to read, you'd see that the first post I replied to was,
>>going back to the first post
>>after you said shit like:

>rather than talk about more legitimate drawbacks of using a mac.
>I'd say it is a drawback, but not the biggest drawback about using a mac.
>because soldering is piss easy

you can backpedal pretty far but not that far....

>also he's still right
maybe you
>a technician (lol)
can solder a board but not every normie can. PCs just werk and make it easier.

sorry but you're wrong macfag

louis pls go

does he know how to solder?

kek

>Calling other people a macfag
>PCs just werk and make it easier.
Oh the ironing

louis doesn't even like Macs
>youtu.be/sfrYOWlKJ_g
>youtu.be/t7XSckjRPo0

He just work on them because it's a large pool of similar hardware.

which makes buying replacements in bulk cheaper and easier.

>T-Trust me guise I use Windows, i'm like you
just stop cuck, you've gone too far.

>Can't solder
>Whines about it
>Spouts buzzwords
You're a real winner.

no amount of Windows screenshots will forgive you for saving shit like:

>It's telling when neo Sup Forums would rather freak about semantics and how haaaaaard it is for them to solder, rather than talk about more legitimate drawbacks of using a mac.

stop backpedaling so hard kid...

>doesn't want to solder = cant solder
cry harder

>can't solder
>pretends to be able to solder
>tries to act superior to people who actually know how to solder but prefer a better alternative
You're a real winner.

Saying that you have to throw out an entire motherboard because components are soldered implies that whoever posted it has no clue how to solder.
I haven't backpedaled from people who post on Sup Forums and can't solder are pathetic.

>We put on a black solder mask and didn't bother with the silkscreen layer
>If anything breaks we just replace the whole board so that our 'genius' bar doesn't have to think too much. This way we can pay them less than actual geniuses, and we can afford to have genius bars at each apple store.
>We can now mass produce these boards with specialized hardware and drive down the cost and not need to pay for connectors and other extraneous components.
>Innovation!

Color me impressed.

>thinking that having to do a thing the most inefficient and time consuming way possible makes you somehow superior

Just stop forcing this nonsense, replacing BGA chips is easy but only a retard or someone whose time is worthless would think that having to spend 25 minutes to perhaps hours(depending on skill level and the machine itself) instead of spending less than a minute isn't important. It's not like preparing a mac for a RAM change/upgrade is easy either. You have to take the whole thing apart in a tedious way instead of simply taking off the cover of the RAM compartment.

because they have achieved excellence through lying instead of actually achieving it

Logic board as a name for the motherboard is something Apple has done. Prior to that logic boards were something that plugged into a motherboard.

>think that being able to do something as simple as soldering makes you superior
>claim that having to spend several orders of magnitude longer time on something that normally takes less than a minute is not an issue

I guess wasting your time by doing things in inefficient ways to feel superior isn't a problem for a basement dwelling NEET.

i dont care about the cuck who couldn't solder
you're the dipshit who thinks having to solder your memory isnt a legitimate drawback of Macs

this is militant fanboism and you're a faggot

>It's telling when neo Sup Forums would rather freak about semantics and how haaaaaard it is for them to solder, rather than talk about more legitimate drawbacks of using a mac.