Linux for the Desktop General

I want to install Linux on my Desktop, I've had both Ubuntu and Arch installed on my laptop. Is Ubuntu with Gnome or Unity the best distribution for a desktop? Why or why not? Is Linux on a Desktop even a good idea if you don't want/play AAA games; and even then you can just dualboot.

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/696650/install-pantheon-desktop-on-ubuntu-15-10
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also thinking Debian/Devuan might be a good choice for desktop use

Linux distros are optimized for every kind of device, and as you've no doubt heard before, you can run Linux on a toaster.

Different people use different distributions. If you're a beginner, start with Debian, or a derivative of Debian (Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mint), when you get more comfortable, some would recommend Arch, and if you're a neckbeard, Install Gentoo.

If you're serious in learning Linux, look up "Learn Linux the hard way".

>I want to install Linux on my Desktop

Good choice Windows is for straight up retards

>Is Ubuntu with Gnome or Unity the best distribution for a desktop?

Ubuntu with unity is the best consumer OS for users who want something that looks good and just werks and is modern.

I use Fedora with GNOME but I recommend Ubuntu to new users because Ubuntu has better defaults. Fedora needs the fonts tweaked and needs the rpmfusion repo for codecs.

> Is Linux on a Desktop even a good idea if you don't want/play AAA games; and even then you can just dualboot.

Games are for faggots

On a side note: Gentoo is the best OS for people who want full control over their system.

I'd throw in Fedora as a pretty decent beginner distro. You do have to probably mess around config files and the terminal, but there's a lot of easy to find information online to get you started.

What's that theme?

Thoughts on elementary?

What's the software availability like on Fedora? My first distro was Arch and I loved the AUR, but I switched to Ubuntu since Arch can be a pain at times and Ubuntu basically has as much software you could want as Arch. Also Ubuntu package management is not as good as Arch
That's what most people seem to think, what advantages does it provide over Ubuntu
Looks nice but doesn't it have really outdated packages?

vs code is for faggots that can't into vim

Also just another thing I wanted to ask, I have a Deathadder 2013 and a CM quickfire keyboard would they work on Linux or do I need to install special drivers if they exist?

No idea, im still at the learning to rice and finding the software I like stage, I will probably get concerned with the fact it is outdated later.

you can install the Pantheon DE on Ubuntu or just about any other distro

>askubuntu.com/questions/696650/install-pantheon-desktop-on-ubuntu-15-10

Keyboard should work just fine with no configuration, my CM ultimate has no problems using the multimedia functions. My mouse has a configurable dpi switch, but I just programmed it once in windows and it works the same because it saves the settings on its own integrated memory.

I find Cinnamon to be a good desktop OS and laptop. Unity is okay if you like. Gnome 3 is also good for 1900x1080 resolution and up.

I like cinnamon because it has windows feel and gets updated often

>cinnamon
>os
what

I mean DE. I dunno why the OS would matter. my bad. typo

just use windows you're not impressing anyone with ur epic riced out LEET LEENUX DESKTOPZZ XDDDD

I like Antergos.

No autismal installation, just werks and includes Numix out of the box.

Am i fucking up by installing Ubuntu Gnome?

If you go Arch go with the Architect GUI installer.

You do the same thing but in a comfy environment where you only need to press enter.

I personally use Fedora on my desktop. Most comfy distro that will ever exists. Thanks RedHat.

gnome is very different . if you like it. all is well. it's a solid DE that works great. But very different style

You may like cinnamon or xfce4

xubuntu is nice and antergos cinnamon is good

Why would one move to arch after Ubuntu? Both are Linux. What does arch offer?

more newer packages. different package management. the AUR which is like PPA's for ubuntu but ore selection and easy.less packaes to make you look more leet.

debian based systems more stable IMO and nicer community. but arch forums have answers to everything which work all around

is this the new desktop thread

whats the theme

so which theme is this? it can make ubuntu and its damn de watchable

Bump,

The theme!

Not him but that is flattr icon set whatever with random numix looking background. numic circle is also good. a good thing wiht linu. you're not forced with default an dit's easy to pick themes

THEME

openSUSE is also great for newbies, buy i would strongly recommend it for developers!

Arch is command line diy absolutely everything. you can build it from the ground up. Ubuntu has almost everything you need plus some. so if you want a lighter system in Ubuntu you need to uninstall packages and clean up the system. Arch is install as you need, Ubuntu "just werks" out of the box. There is no real "Need" to switch to Arch, It feels more fluid and lightweight to people and more cutting edge (Thus less stable).

Windows 10 Anniversary wrote my 6 month old SSD in my few year old laptop to death, so i'm probably going to put Ubuntu MATE on it SSD after I get it replaced.

I like using Fedora, i'd like to know more about CentOS, but in terms of ease and software, it would probably be better for me to use ubuntu right now.

Pretty sure it's flatabulous, arc-osx themes are similar, same with

Fuck didn't finish the post, I meant to say same with like "white" gtk theme

it's not arc-osx

or it may be since the buttons are replacable. it really makes you think.

Flatabulous you dingus

Xubuntu is the most comfy desktop distro if you spend 20 mins post installation for rice a bit.
Its the first time I stay in a Linux distro for more than a couple of months.

That's some good font rendering

>if you rice

Every linux distro on a desktop or laptop PC is like this user

the DEs are all broken, ugly, poorly designed garbage and need to be riced
you need to piece together your own environment if you don't need one and that will be broken, ugly garbage without rice

you can't escape the rice

can you share your wallpaper? thanks

sure my user

thanks a lot!

Winfaggot here. Are there any neat GNU/Linux programs that are compatible with Cygwin?

what all did you do to rice this?

Almost nothing:

-Plank Dock
-Flatabulous theme (css tweaked for colors, focused window is light blue in the pic, now is light red)
-Tweak xfce panel
-Paper icon theme

>Xfce with a dock
>dock and taskbar

youtube-dl

KDE neon

Ubuntu MATE or Elementary OS?

How easy is it to install software on Elementary OS through the terminal?

I need a video editor (PiTiVi, Kdenlive, Flowblade, Fusion, and Resolve if it's no longer on some weird proprietary system), a graphics editor (GIMP and Pinta), and an audio editor (Audacity).

Ubuntu + KDE is the perfect combination for most people. Can you think of anything better?

gnome, kde looks like garbage

Enjoy your tablet UI

This tablet UI looks really good, too bad it's very impractical

>he's never used anything other than Windows/KDE
kek too scared to try something new?

>he thinks not liking something means that you never tried it
I've tried pretty much all major DEs, GNOME is garbage

reason?

How do I get that on ubuntu mate?

>Fedora
>beginner distro

You nearly fooled Sup Forums there...

Reposting this from another thread

>It's looks like a tablet UI
>It's much harder to do very simple things like changing the theme than on other DEs
>The options menu is a joke, you can't even change basic things like mouse acceleration
>The developers are idiots who don't give a shit about the users

result of getting the smartphone generation to design a working and practical desktop.

it's a gtk3 theme i think and Mate only runs gtk2
kek how's being 45?

>kek how's being 45?
fucking great.
beats being a 15yo virgin

>points out the flaws of mondern GUI design
>"haha le oldfag is mad XD"
Fuck off

>implying i'm 15
>implying i'm a virgin
>thinking sexual activity pertains to this discussion in the slightest
lol

Not that guy but

>everything in lower case
>kek
>using age as an insult
You're obviously underage, lurk more

>How's being 45

Oh yeah I forgot, you have to be at least 30 to use computers for anything but viewing and organizing media

>but linus uses...
Linus only uses a browser and a terminal

How do I switch my close buttons to the right?using gnome and Ubuntu

Since both are Ubuntu / Debian based distros you won't have any problems installing packages through the terminal with apt (if you already know how to use it of course).

I'd personally recommend Elementary since it looks good as fuck out of the box, never tried Mate but I heard people saying that it was good.

Since as already said those distros are Debian / Ubuntu based most video editors will be available.

I'd recommend live booting them and see which one you like the most.

Looking at getting Fedora for gaming since Wendell from tek syndicate has a thing on how to get gta v to run with fedora. good or bad idea?

gibe all your wallpapers

Thoughts on Manjaro? I'm looking for a Windows feeling linux I can start on to get used to bash etc

If anyone still wants to know that theme, I think it's Arc-Black for Ubuntu.

How dare you

Any other creation tools? I am having a hard time with all things video related. I assume that ardour is good for audio editing/processing but there is also lmms, cant decide on these two.

Manjaro is great, I'm going to try out the openrc version, I hope it's good enough to replace systemd, then I will install it on my desktop too.

What's a good anti-aliased font? I have a 1080p monitor on my laptop but the regular font still looks meh, I need something that looks real nice, something like consolas, except for linux obviously.

Audacity is great, throw out gimp it's garbage teebeeh

But user, that leaves me only with a vector graphics editor.

You're going to have to use ps with wine if you want image editing on linux.

Oh and what text editor is in that list for programming and stuff?

>What does arch offer?
feeling superior

>dumb idiot posting on the internet
kek

Ubuntu Gnome is the most comfy distro.

what's your theme/icon set OP?

>gnome
>comfy

Oh it's easy to shit on people on the internet, it's much harder to actually try and use the clusterfuck that is gimp.

Atom it is.

I love Linux on the desktop for package management alone. No more opening up that program that need once a week but when you need it, you need it now, just to be met with "hey, there's a new version, please go to our website to download and install it!".

Personally I use Fedora, if you're a GNOME 3 fan I feel like it's the obvious choice, at least if you're wanting an "out-of-the-box" style distro (meaning not Arch/Gentoo where you do it yourself). It comes with very little preinstalled software, it's freetard compatible, and it's dnf package manager makes using RPM a breeze.

It takes slightly more work out of the box than Ubuntu, at least if you want proprietary software because you have to enable third party repos for this, either RPM Fusion (my choice) or UnitedRPMs seem to be the most popular. If you're a gamer, you may find it slightly more difficult to obtain your proprietary graphics card drivers as well, and doing so will almost certainly break your Plymouth boot animation, but it's not hard to fix with a guide.

I think it's worth the extra steps to get a much cleaner, more stable, and ultimately more usable computer than even Ubuntu GNOME, but again, that's my opinion.

P.S. if you're having trouble installing software, see if it's available in a tool called "Fedy" they offer some one-click installers for common applications as well as tweaks for better font rendering, remaking grub config, remove muse acceleration, all of that.

Atom is horrible in my opinion, tried it, but just meh. Using more RAM than the OS to edit 10kb text files is just no.

I really like sublime but it's not open source, anyone know a good free alternative to sublime that can compete?

install gnome tweak tool

I would say use GWorkspace + WindowMaker but creating an application wrapper is a mistery. So use KDE I say.

how to make Sup Forums look like that?
don't hate me, I just want to know

>good free alternative to sublime that can compete

lmao is this sarcasm?

Linux has had the very best free text editors for forever. Use emacs.

least it looks good

Same here, it is the next logical step for those that are wanting to graduate from Ubuntu or Mint. I was a die hard Mint user but I've switched.

Fedora even comes with Cinnamon now. I use KDE but its pretty easy to get whichever you want, just search Fedora Spins.

I thought that supporting JS to customize your editor would be neat since it is widely adopted. Oh well.

Come on Dan, we told you how to change your hostname