"""universal""" serial bus

>"""universal""" serial bus

Other urls found in this thread:

geek.com/news/usb-forum-manages-to-confuse-everyone-552910/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Your referring to the connector, and that's not even all of them.
Universal serial bus does use a universal communications protocol, so it is universal in that aspect.

this

yeah, a completely disfigured-abortion-tier ugly """universal""" communications protocol. You might as well shove a bunch of depreciated 1950's radio teletype protocols together and you'll still get something better than USB.

And Type-C is going to solve the connector part anyway. Universal in all aspects.

Do it faggot
Make something better and make profit
It's your duty as a citizen in a country that claims to be capitalist.

With older USB cables one side has to be standard A but the other side can be anything. On newer cables both sides can be type C I think but type C cables are not directly compatible with the others.

TypeB 2.0 fits in TypeB 3.X.
MicroB 2.0 fits in MicroB 3.X.

Almost nothing uses MiniA/B anymore because MicroB is more reliable.

>MicroB is more reliable.
Hahahahahahaha

>get shitty Chinese tablet
>type-C connector was soldered on sideways and it shorts out if I plug it in all the way
I've never had this issue with non-type-C connectors, even on cheap chink shit.

MicroUSB was designed to wear down on the cable not on the port on the device. MiniUSB ports wear down really quick and quickly become loose and unreliable

When are you going to realize that there are no such things as
standards?
They are and always have been a moving target.
What is standard today almost certainly will not be in the future.

Like type b did?
Like mini usb did?
Like micro USB did?

Leaves out miniA and microA but barely anyone uses either in the first place.

Mini and Micro were designed for small devices. MicroUSB replaced MiniUSB pretty successfully.

Type A was designed for computers. Type B was designed for devices that connect to computers.

Type C is doing away with all of those old standards to simplify the whole thing for everyone and is also reversible.

Time to put this USB meme out to pasture and find a new protocol

Types A and B were intended to stop you plugging 2 PCs together via USB.
Given that USB on PCs is a minefield of spec variation, there was always the risk of fire. Just a difference of 0.5V would be enough.

You're*

Wait what, I thought white meant USB 1.0

>Like type b did?

there's nothing wrong with type-b, it's to distinguish that type-a is the provider of power, and in general to stop tards plugging 2 male-a cables where it's not going to do anything

>Like mini usb did?

mini-b is a fine connector but the problem is that it's too good at protecting the cable resulting in damage at the pcb level, remedied by micro usb...

>Like micro USB did?

which is a fine connector, however people are tards and don't want to look when they put a cable in which can result in damage if forced, again, tards, ergo type-c

there's type a connectors that perform the same function as type-c but they're non-standard and are generally a bit more fragile, I wouldn't be surprised if the trend catches on and there's an official standard-c and a micro-c connector in the future but standard-a is fine as it is otherwise

All the Mini and Micro stuff were invented by vendors, not USB.

Mini b master race

>Types A and B were intended to stop you plugging 2 PCs together via USB.
What would be the point anway? Both PCs would try to detect a USB device and fail, because another PC is not a "USB device" to a PC.

>However clear this may seem to the consumer, the USB Forum decided that things had to change. Customers had started to view USB 1.1 as inferior to USB 2.0 due to the slower speeds it is capable of, and so they wanted machines with the faster version. This did not make sense to the USB Forum, so in December of last year it decided to rename USB 1.1 USB 2.0 while keeping the faster USB 2.0 with the same name. The only difference in naming between the two would now be that the slower format would have the tag “Full Speed,” while the faster format would have the tag “Hi-Speed.”
>geek.com/news/usb-forum-manages-to-confuse-everyone-552910/

>USB 3.0 has retroactively been renamed "USB 3.1 Gen 1"
>USB 3.1 has retroactively been renamed "USB 3.1 Gen 2"

My problem with usb is that everything is master&slave, not peer to peer like ethernet. Someone will probably have a good reason why I'm wrong but I don't care.

We already have ethernet for peer to peer and its bandwith is certainly not bottlenecking anything

>not understanding how electricity works

But I can't plug a printer via RJ45 into a usb soundcard and expect it to work. And that's just plain terrible.

How about a design that doesn't wear down at all? I must have gone through a dozen micro-USB cables since I started using smartphones in late 2012. Some of them don't even connect reliably out of the box.

Super fucking mario!!!

I don't care how many variations there are as long as there are non-proprietary standards, the design is good, and replacements are priced reasonably.

Lightning is the worst thing Apple has shit out in decades. It's about as reliable as the cartridge connector in the original NES. Never mind that strain reliefs have been around for well over 60+ years and Apple decided that they are too ugly.

That would require everything to be botnet. Do you want your soundcard and your mouse and keyboard to be botnet?

>Mini-B 5 pin
>Obsolete

What makes it obsolete compared to the other types? My microphone, DSLR, and PS3 controller all use that connector. I have more mini-b devices than I do micro-b or type-b.

I want to ssh into my mouse. Yes.

>How about a design that doesn't wear down at all?
Is it made of fucking adamantium?

It does.

It's also used on many keyboards even to this day.

So what will take hold faster?

>usb c
>everything being wireless

>USB 3 type-b
>USB type 3.1

holyshitwatrudoin.fuckoff

Literally the worst idea USB forum have ever shit out.
At least USB 3.1 type c is good. Well, besides the cheapshit connections some manufacturers have gimped out on!

Multiple versions create competition.
The best USB 3 format will win in the end.

>it's the daily "we need USB C everywhere now" thread

Everything will be wireless as soon as wireless power at a distance is perfected.

Same here. Also have many full size type B.
I bet the USB 3.0 connectors will fade out before 2.0 type Bs; they are still niche connectors (arguably 3.0 micro b has hard drives, but it's by far the worse connector and people will gladly abandon it).

It's not the connectors fault the Chinese are too stupid to solder it on right

>Admits it's a shitty Chinese tablet he bought
>Assumes that the problem is the technology, not the implementation

I'm glad RJ-45 has a good run.

first post only necessary post

/thread