Why don't they sell parts to put together laptops like they do desktops? It can't be that complicated...

Why don't they sell parts to put together laptops like they do desktops? It can't be that complicated, we deserve affordable laptops.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/apr/02/laptops-suitable-for-high-speed-typists
laptopmag.com/articles/help-me-laptop-i-want-a-notebook-with-a-classic-style-keyboard
catb.org/jargon/html/C/chiclet-keyboard.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They do, it's just to a lesser extent.

Hard drives and RAM are easily put together/replaceable.

CPU's...somewhat, much more limited than desktop sockets.

GPU's, with modern day laptops, sol as they're either usually integrated into the CPU, Chipset, or motherboard itself.

I agree with you though, actually. We need to start having laptops be as modular and replaceable as desktops now.

I mean it's the current year.

Because laptop manufacturers love propietary design bullshit. Apart from that, laptop guts are cramped and not much fun to meddle with for the most part.

Even the process of adding a simple SSD to my laptop is almost not worth it it's so overly complicated.

because it would be fucking dumb, people hardly build desktops anymore, why the fuck would they waste their time cobbling together some frankensteined overheating piece of shit laptop?

>I mean it's the current year.
while (TRUE) {
if (CURRENT_YEAR != CURRENT_YEAR) {
break;
}
}

>people hardly build desktops anymore
What is the treshold beyond which nobody will sell PC parts anymore except in bulk to pre-build OEM companies?

not for a long time, people may not build desktops but it doesn't mean their modularity isn't utilized at all

>People don't hardly build desktops anymore
Then why can I not seem to get my hands on a GTX 1070 or 1080 they always seem to go immediately out of stock.

Proprietary design is the height of design. When you're held back by standards you get garbage.

In that context, please explain why you can't buy a laptop not having a chiclet garbage "keyboard" anymore.

>but look at these anecdotes
maybe because "hardly" doesn't mean "all"?

Because maybe they aren't, you retarded hipster?

that's what ThinkPads are

you are like little babby

get a quadro then

>not wanting a chiclet keyboard is now "being a retarded hipster"

Oh dear.

theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/apr/02/laptops-suitable-for-high-speed-typists

>not for a long time
Nvidia just release desktop class performance parts for laptops so sooner than you fucking think kiddo.

>please explain why you can't buy a laptop not having a chiclet garbage "keyboard" anymore.
Because almost no one cares.

depends on the laptop. HP ones are easy af to add parts and even disassemble

Well I have an acer aspire.

Wrong. They have simply been forced onto everyone. Those who don't care is those who force it. Just like "telemetry" is forced upon Windows users and systemd is forced onto major Linux distribution users, those who make the decisions disregard any opposition and say "fuck you, it's the future because we say so, live with it".

>Wrong
How many typists do you know? I know 0. People don't care about chiclet keyboards.

I know several people who are technologically inept that hate chiclet keyboards. Personally I make more mistakes on those keyboards and they cut my typing speed almost in half.

Probably no touch-typist (I happen to be one) would defend a chiclet keyboard.

Right. They seem to be more suited to hunt-and-pecking with fat fingers, but even then, the small travel, no curvature and no feedback make it tedious and unergonomic.

I'm afraid that these "keyboards" may be an intermediate step towards removing physical keyboards altogether, making future laptops into folding dual tablets instead.

i didnt ask for these feels

yeah that's tough

>People don't care about chiclet keyboards.
Go ask in the mechanical keyboard thread what they think about chiclets.

laptopmag.com/articles/help-me-laptop-i-want-a-notebook-with-a-classic-style-keyboard

Many people hate these keyboards, but they are simply ignored. We have come to live in retarded times where there market segmentation is being done away with if only possible, forcing the lowest common denominator onto everybody.

From the Jargon File:
catb.org/jargon/html/C/chiclet-keyboard.html
>Vendors unanimously liked these because they were cheap, and a lot of early portable and laptop products got launched using them. Customers rejected the idea with almost equal unanimity, and chiclets are not often seen on anything larger than a digital watch any more.
Unfortunately that was many years ago, and since then the garbage has returned with a vengeance and been pushed onto everyone.

>Vendors unanimously liked these because they were cheap
...which probably hasn't changed much unitl now, most likely quite to the contrary.
>Customers rejected the idea with almost equal unanimity
Unfortunately turning the majority of consumers into dumb cattle has had its consequences, most indeed didn't give a fuck anymore years later, so neither did the manufacturers.

There are the clevo laptops that let you choose.

I'm unsure if you can upgrade them down the line but it's the closest thing you have to a proper pc in the laptop market.

>turning the majority of consumers into dumb cattle
no they were always cattle. the consumer base expanded so that they became the majority