GPU Thread

So I got this GPU for $20. was it a win?
Also GPU Picture Thread, Show of that GPU now!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CI6EpKHRv68
videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=geforce 9800 gt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But why?

I didn't want a "Low End" card so I got this. Its easy to OC. I don't play very demanding games when it comes to graphics.

It's not even dx10, Is it?

Anyways, I got a pair of HD5770s for 50aud a couple of weeks ago.

DirectX 10 and OpenGL 2/3 (depends on your card edition for OpenGL)

It is DX10.

Doesn't perform as well as a modern integrated GPU, though. OP fucked up and literally actually unironically threw 20 bucks in the trash.

Not completely related to the OP but... whats the cheapest 2nd handed GPU i can buy which supports gaymes in 1080p? doesnt matter if it must be on low, however it must run okish (30 FPS+)

HD5770 for 30fps low 1080p, HD5870/6870 for 60fps low/medium/high.

Or a gtx 550/460.

Literally worse than an iGPU. Good for nostalgia though. the 8800/9800 GT was a classic. Probably the best bang for buck ever.

why not a 7850 / 7870 / 7950

gtx 970

It got a score of 1024 on Passmark not really much. People are saying its worse than iGPUs, I'm using a Q8200.

How would a HD 7770 perform? someone on CL is selling one for 50 bucks.
Im trying to get something not so old, since my PSU has a pretty low wattage, and old GPUs tend to be power hogs.

I can't decide if i want to go for a mid-range card now, like the 470 or 480/1060. Or wait until christmas and maybe treat myself to a high end card.

Theres stuff i'd like to play, but it won't kill me to wait... And it would be kind of lovely to have a real 1070/490/furywhatvertheyllcallit in my hands.

R7 370

7770 would be fine

>pic related

Absolute waste of $20. A dub of crack would've been more fun and rewarding.

This. It'll do ya 1920x1080 on low/medium.

pretty much about market value or even more, it's an old as shit card after all

Are people actually charging for this shit? No friend of yours that had something better just lying around?

It's 9 years old. I didn't even think there was a market for these things.
I hope it was 20 AND shipping. Anything below 15, in my opinion, is not even worth being sold, so, if you REALLY wanted it, it was a fair price.

But, you could have spent maybe 40 bucks and got a gtx560, which is like 3 times faster and is not almost a decade old.

my gtx 560ti

true, i even saw hd 7950/7870 nv770/760 sell less than $100, but that 9800gt is good if u hurry to replace ded gpu.

That is a very low end card.

Dude, upgrade to an x5450, they're like 20 bucks on aliexpress and perform almost as well as an i5 2500.

How long until this card turns into charcoal and burns down my house too?
>60 fps overwatch in 4k, all settings maxed
>60 fps on tw3 with all settings on ultra except jewwerks
>maxes out at 82c on full load

Got this here windforce gtx 680 4GB for 50aud a year ago.

I still live with my evga 550ti

Onboard GPU doesn't have dedicated VRAM.

i like how the box art isn't focused on a jet, but rather the flames coming out of a jet

I still live with a GeForce4 Ti 4200 and a Q6600

I got 50$ and a dying gtx460 what can I get that will give me adequate performance? All I do is play skyrim and watch movies.

>i-it uses system RAM so it can't be better than an 8 years old dedicated mid-range graphics card !
Hate to break it to you, but that's not how it works.
Both modern AMD APUs and Intel graphics are faster than a 9800 GT.

Ayyyyyy

I'd be using it instead of this old ass 8600 but it overheated one too many times and now it won't boot. It just gives me a fucked up version of my boot logo with yellow lines through it, a garbled version of the boot options screen with letters missing, and then goes to a black screen forever. So I'm stuck on the 8600 until I get a new card and finish my upgrade.

Great series of cards. It was taking ~2010 games like a champ until it started overheating even after new paste and pads.

Hd 5870?

I still got my 8800 ultra, don't use it anymore though

The 9800GT 512MB V-ram version uses V-Ram and system memory. for Vista(optional) and up

Do they really run that hot? how good would i be with a GTX 750 ti?

750 Ti isnt based on fermi so you're good with that. those cards are pretty cool senpai

I have several 8800GT's and a 8800GTS just laying around. They all work fine just are not very useful. Also have a 5400 PCI card that I'ved used forever. A completely passive 7400 as well.

All set then, i may get one this weekend... my computer only has a 300w PSU so i need a low profile GPU which may run off PCI-E socket only, and apparently the 750 TI is the only decent GPU which fullfills that.

Thanks, famalam.

everything is OC now
do non-OC cards even exist anymore?

>60 fps overwatch in 4k, all settings maxed
how the fuck

my 1070 with a 6700k does like 30 FPS unstable and/or lower on 4K with ultramax settings. The FPS says it's at 60-90, but that shit is dropping frames and playing like a slideshow.

Thats marketing for you.

well framboole even on a r9 390 you get a minimum frame rate of 47 and avg of 50, so if you had not been priced out the ass for monitors you could have used that extra 170 you saved by buying the 480 and get a freesync monitor(mine has a range of 35-64) and play beautifully smooth games and still have 70-100 left over.

Those fucking single slot 8800GT's were exceeding 100°C. You probably replaced them soon, they never lasted long.

Surprisingly they both still work. They also still get amazingly hot just idling. I used to have them both in a machine running four displays. I had a 120mm fan in front of both of them keeping them cool.

My 8800GT single-slot crashes at ~85C so I doubt that's true. They were hot cards but I don't know of any card that doesn't shut off in the 90s.

Geez, my 9800GT only goes up to 67C when Overclocked and benchmarking/stress testing.

The 8 series was notoriously hot. The Ultras idled at like 70C. But at the time they were fucking monsters of cards for the money.

Does anyone else get really comfy when they think of older graphics cards? I love older designs and older builds and the "greats" like the 8800 series. Old tech demos are also really cool, and it's fun to see how far companies have come along. There's just something so cool about reading old gpu benchmarks and the author is in disbelief about blazing fast ddr4 memory.
youtube.com/watch?v=CI6EpKHRv68

Yes. Designs used to be so much more aesthetically pleasing when every card didn't have to be 3 inches thick and have 2 fucking jet turbines strapped to it to stay cool.

The 8/9 series from Nvidia and the 7 series from AMD is the sexiest fucking line of cards ever.

The 7970 is clean as all fuck. Just look at that god damn card. That's so fucking aesthetic.

Too bad they're hot as fuck.

Older amd reference designs were the shit....fucking battleships.
Also what happened to dual gpu cards? I miss the gtx 29x nomenclature.

It will be on par with modern integrated graphics, whoever says it's much worse than modern intel iGPU is just wrong.

I ha e that card too, but an OC Gigabyte, that after some extra overclock it goes up to 40°C as much with full work. Also it's summer, so it gets those Temps because of that.

I may change my PC to get a powerful as fuck one when the 11X0 comes out in like one or two years, is an i5 4460/750ti/16GB RAM too much overkill for a server/media center?

wat?

This was after the benchmark. never passed 71 degrees C

What settings to you have to use to get 60+FPS in modern games? I just checked a DOOM benchmark video and he was getting obvious drops to mid/high 20s with default High settings

I've got a 7870 that I've been running for 4+ years now. Gonna upgrade to a 1060 or a 480 when I get paid.

>tfw slight differences in FPS don't matter to me since it's gonna be a huge improvement no matter what
>tfw just a $250 upgrade breathes new life into my OC'd 3570k build

but it looks fucking terrible.

I had a Gainward Phantom 560ti and it was the coolest card I've ever owned desu.

A had a Zotac Gt430 that could play some stuff at min/1080p at 30fps avg
A 750ti is always the best choice though

What's the longest gpu I can get for sub 100$
I just wanna have a multipurpose gpu, aesthetics, performance, room heating, possibly propelling my case across the room with the blower fan, home defense, etc

560ti is the same price and same performance as the 6870, 550 is aids

pair it with another nnivdya curd and use it as a dedicated physx card
that;s still a thing right?

I bought a used XFX 7950 for $50 5 months ago. Best decision I've made. Seller even threw in a TX650 along with it.

Hd 5970?

He's gotta be full of shit.
If not post some speccy

except that it does lmao videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=geforce 9800 gt

No you idiot, if it has not died already it will soon

I only play bf4 on my 680 and I'm getting ~80 fps max settings 1080p or 50-60fps high settings 1600p