youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7664379246A246CB

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>How to get started
> [YouTube] 2016/2017 MUST-KNOW WEB DEVELOPMENT TECH - Watch this if you want to be a web developer
youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k
> [YouTube] Javascript is Easy - "JavaScript is Easy" - If you can't into programming, you probably won't find a simpler introduction to JavaScript than this.
youtube.com/watch?v=zf_cb_Nw5zY

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com
openshift.com

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k?
youtube.com/watch?v=rRbY3TMUcgQ
freecodecamp.com/
nodebeginner.org/
gwtproject.org/overview.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Go.

I work fulltime as a web developer but I'm itching to code as soon as I get home, only problem is I don't have any ideas at all on what to built. Since our methods is so shit in regards to every stage of the development and deployment process I don't really learn anything exciting or useful at work.

Is there a list anywhere with essential tools for a web developer, like youtube.com/watch?v=sBzRwzY7G-k?

I'm interested in learning things like grunt, docker, and other modern tools. I don't know what people use though.

> Shit-tier pepe image
> No link to last thread
>

You're probably better off in the web dev general thread. People browsing here are usually elite cunts when they see web buzzwords

I don't know what to do.

There's a chance that a place where I'm doing my obligatory internship for uni will want to keep me. It's a frontend position. I'm nothing special with it because I don't care, but they need someone who can design good. The projects are boring as fuck, basically CRUDs with a bunch of meme frameworks. Everything looks and functions similar.

This is my first internship so I don't have any experience outside of it, but I don't like it very much. I didn't learn anything on a job. I feel there is no way to improve here, especially since I'm the only one doing frontend, nobody knows any design either.

Basically, it made me miserable already, because it's pretty much a code monkey job, you just solve your tickets without thinking.

If I accept the position, it will mean I accepted that I failed at life and should've pursued a better degree. (Keep in mind my degree only has webdev from the CS world, other classes are different, so no, I couldn't transition to something else easily, even if I wanted). I don't even like anything programming and web related, the only exception is web design, but even though I'm good at it and enjoy doing it, I don't see myself as a professional, the salaries are not that good either afaik.

grunt is good for automation, docker is good for deployment and environment standardization. I honestly use grunt more than Docker for personal projects to help with linting or testing automation. Personally, I use node + express for all my development. I like JavaScript a lot.

You have an infinite amount of possibilities you can work on. If you're a web dev and want to build small games, check out Phaser. It's a fairly simple html5 game dev framework. If you wanna dig deepers, get a udemy course on Unity. I have a virtual reality app I'm practicing with in c#.

Find something that you like to do outside of programming, and challenge yourself to build an application to supplement that. If you like jogging, try to build a mobile app (Cordova + Phonegap and Angular) that tracks your runs. If you like video games, find an API and do cool data visualization (d3). Employers cream their pants if you have a sexy data visualization project you can show off. I always think it's easier to work on something if it can relate to other areas of your life, and gives you a little more motivation than a product you would never use.

drop me a line if anyone's interested in making a blog theme with some YouTube/twitch integration a la vinesauce

[email protected]

pretty flexible ish with budget

First find out if you like to do front end work. I hated it at first, but then dove a littler deeper into better practices with my frameworks and liked it the more I learned about it. Doing cool tricks is cool. If you're using something like Bootstrap there's a ton of neat stuff you can do.

Second find out what you like to do. Do you like to set up servers and stick to back end work? Do you prefer to build games? See my post for finding some motivation. Once you start having fun, pick a small project and complete it. Have stuff that an employer would be impressed to see.

Lastly, If you're not happy with where you are, then think about what you would look like to an employer who you apply for. Noted above, but work on personal projects if you don't have a ton of resume experience. If you want to keep to web dev, the job market right now is looking for node developers, angular devs, react devs, and ruby on rails devs. Find a position you would be happy with, and be the candidate they want. Don't get fucked over again with sweat labor.

Don't get so down about your current position. You are not your job. Find something to get passionate about. There's always something for someone to code.

>You're probably better off in the web dev general thread.

Where do you think you are, user?

If you're business oriented and love the idea of running the show, then make a website with the idea of making money.

It's a fantastic hobby and very rewarding. Even if it fails it will still be a learning experience.

Now if your nose is short, then consider learning game dev. Either toy around with GameMaker or jump into Unreal with C++.

If you just want to learn a new web language and you don't know Angular, then learn Angular.

Are any of you guys self-taught? What route did you take to become employable specifically?

I've taken some free online courses but they don't seem to go deeper than the surface so I've been using the free programming books in the OP. Just want to know what you guys did to eventually become competent enough to get a job or freelance.

>Are any of you guys self-taught?
Entirely.
>What route did you take to become employable specifically?
I'm not.

Some people here got jobs by just uploading their completed course projects to github.

What languages are you planning to work with? I took the self-taught route and I'm currently employed and I did A LOT of research so I can give you many recommendations if you tell me what you're wondering about. Ask away.

Where does /wdg/ get public domain social media icons for their websites?

Why are there so many symfony jobs but no good tutorials, videos and books? In my country 80% of web jobs are wordpress and symfony jobs.
Should I really learn symfony or still learning Laravel? And why?

Laravel is a meme. If you want a job, learn whatever is in demand. For personal projects use something more solid than Laravel or PHP.

>Laravel is a meme.
So why are there so many tutorials, books, contributors, github stars, ...
>More solid than PHP.
What is currently more solid than PHP except oldish C or ASM?

>So why are there so many tutorials, books, contributors, github stars, ...
Because it's a meme.
>What is currently more solid than PHP except oldish C or ASM?
Go and Node.js

>What is currently more solid than PHP except oldish C or ASM?
are you joking? anything is.

>Not using OTP
youtube.com/watch?v=rRbY3TMUcgQ

user, in Sup Forums the language is more important than the programmer and experience.

I'm still learning HTML, CSS & Javascipt but based on the video in the OP, I'll most likely move on to React for front end and node.js from backend.

How long was the time period between starting to teach yourself and your first job? What languages to you use at your current job?

What resources did you use to teach yourself?

Same question to

Golang seems to be fast but what the hell is that syntax, how people could create solid projects with it? There is also a big problem about it, the google paternity. Google is known to kill/mess its opensource projects!

Current node.js is slower than current php and a lot of people said that working with node.js is completely irrelevant for today projects.

I'm working on polishing the style of the commissions section of my website in preparation for a launch.

How does this look?

What do you guys use as an alternative to cmd if you're working with windows? Preferbly something that has linux commands. I used gits bash but it's a bit buggy sometimes so I uninstalled it.

Cmder

Powershell is the only viable solution.

Syntax is simplified on purpose to improve readability, which is crucial in large projects with many developers. It's a language initially developed by Google employees, but is living its own life for many years now.

>Current node.js is slower than current php
Source? Hard to believe.

Are you on windows 10? If yes, install their Linux subsystem. If not, dualboot or keep a VM.

Benchmarks proved it multiple times, node is slower than php7+ for almost anything and you can find modest web hosting for less than $4/year! So it's fantastic for personal projects! I saw somewhere that clusters of more than 100 machines with node could be a little bit faster but who cares? I think it's more relevant to use C/C++/Golang it this special case.

Fair point.

Alright, I'm and I'll give you a "path" to follow, involving the bare minimum you need to know to land a job.

You don't need to spend that much time with HTML & CSS unless you're going to be a web designer, but you should understand still understand it very well. The exact source you choose to learn this from doesn't really matter since these are very easy languages and aren't really programming in the real sense of the word. They are markup languages. There's not going to be much logic to learn and understand here.

If you're going the node.js route, you obviously need a good understanding of Javascript and the majority of your time should be spent learning the language. This includes the functional side & the OOP side. I'd recommend getting pretty good at JS before even starting with node. I think freecodecamp.com/ would be perfect for you. It has a clear path to follow and you'll practice making real things. The site is 100% JS (with HTML & CSS of course). I don't recommend fully completing it though. Just the "Front End Cerftication" part which is pretty huge in itself.

When you're done with that you can move onto node.js and web development. I'd recommend you learn to create a website WITHOUT any frameworks to begin with, so you get a good understanding of how requests and responses work and what a framework actually does for you. You have to experience the bad way to appreciate the good way. I know treehouse has a course that teaches you this exact thing, but it costs money and I don't think there's a way around that. Here's an alternative: nodebeginner.org/ it costs $9 but you can get it for free if you just google " The Node Beginner Book" + pdf.

Now that you understand the old, and bad way of doing things, you'll fully appreciate moving to a web dev framework. We'll choose Express because it's a bare minimum framework so it's very easy to learn and understand. All the concepts will be transferable knowledge when you move to more advanced frameworks later on. I already knew about frameworks before starting Express so I didn't need a tutorial per se, but you probably will, and a comprehensive one at that. So get a book with good reviews and plow through that bad boy. Just google node express book and do some research.

When you're done with the book, you need to create something that you can put on your resumé. A semi big project that includes as many technologies as possible to show off your skills. HTML&CSS, JS, Express, SQL and/or NOSQL, REST, making calls to other APIs, Redis are also good to include and learn about. You should also practice git and apache/nginx while building this project. It's very important to understand.

Does everything work with Cmder? I know just using the Python interpreter was pretty buggy in Git Bash, and it also had a lot of issues with packages for different languages in general.

Tried so hard to like it but I couldn't.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about that. I'll check it out.

I'm not very familiar with web dev, and have a question.

I've been working with a company that's expected to get a lot more hits, and they want a new web host that can handle the increased volume. What are some good options out there?

Anyways, I hear Sup Forums likes maki, so have one in exchange.

Go with AWS

Is it a good idea to use erlang for back-end development? Anyone have any experience?
I'd just like to do it as a hobby btw.

Someone link me to how I can setup a dev environment using Docker for web dev.

I'm exposing the fucking ports and publishing then when I run a container but for some fucking reason I still can't access the site on my host OS.

When I'm inside the container I used local tunnel to making the port publicly accessing over the internet and that worked so I don't know why it's not working.

Theme for what platform?

Why would you use PHP for web dev? Who the fuck wants to make a new request for every page of a website when you can just request the data you need into a SAP.

Laravel is based on Symfony.

SAPs need backend.

busybox.exe , it's a ~200 kb executable file that supports the most basic bash commands

Thanks for taking to time to write all of this. A lot of useful information. I appreciate it.

Just use JS for both so you can share common libraries and models? PHP has two different functions to get the length of an array, clearly a shit tier language made by invalids.

Do you expose your container web port to port 80 in host? Should be something like docker run -p 80:80. Also maybe hosts firewall blocks?

[] == ![]

So PHP has alias for some functions for historical reasons, so what? New versions have really improved OOP and other things making PHP better language with each update while Javascript is still struggling to not suck.

hipsters are starting to use it (Elixir), so yeah, it's a good idea, I suppose

>Golang seems to be fast but what the hell is that syntax, how people could create solid projects with it?
it was made by some of the same that created C... you can imagine that they know their shit.
go to tour.golang.org , learn it (it won't take more than a few hours, if that), use it, love it.

Yes I'm doing that when I curl port 8080 in the container I get a response. Outside I get jack. I'm on a Mac.

If you could just link me to a good source or example maybe I spot what I'm missing.

I didn't know about elixir, thanks for mentioning it dog.

JavaScript is the most portable thing going. Almost every device you own comes shops with a JS VM by default.

Not better than HTML.

PHP 1 - JS 0

If i use a homeserver for a public domain i assume i will have a lot of problems with the traffic.

What do I need to do to prevent this?
What are the big companies doing?
Is there, like, a special router to handle all the servers?

>What do I need to do to prevent this?
Not host it on a home server.
>What are the big companies doing?
Hosting on VPS services like AWS and Digital Ocean.
>Is there, like, a special router to handle all the servers?
People use load balancers and multiple web servers. All requests go via the load balancer which in turn picks which server should handle the request.

Guess I'll go with a VPS then. Thanks user!

How much traffic can a raspberry pi home server connected to 1Gbps (it actually never gets to 1Gbps, but around 300mbps) handle?

i need advice Sup Forums, i need to make a java web project for a college assignment (it needs to be made in java) but i don't know which technology or framework to use, i'm quite good with core java and i've made web projects using angular+express, can someone point me in the right direction?

It depends what your serving and to how many peers.

Web server hosting a personal website you'd probably be fine, as long as the Pi or your internet connection doesn't crap out.

Media server serving content to friends and family? Probably fine.

Business/enterprise/client website your better off using a VPS.

GWT looks cool.
gwtproject.org/overview.html

spring boot, GWT, Play framework.

Thanks again!

With wild differences that make any hope about portability wet dream. And there are better alternatives on every platform except browser.

Best analytics service?

cuckberry pi can't into Gbps, it caps at 100 mbps

Can i help user ?

Hey guys. Codekit baby here trying to adjust to developing on Windows. I have gulp running and understand how it works, but I was wondering what your guys' recommended "starter" setup would be?

I'm only doing wordpress this week, so I don't need any js linting / unit testing. Just basic sass and minification, I'm pretty sure. Anything else I should be using?

Because it's quick to get something out the door, it's tried and tested, it isn't a meme, and if you actually use the language properly it isn't really all that much of a mess either.

Google

What the easiest framework to create solid websites with multiple user roles/rights and automatic payment for subscription without spending days on it?

Is it worth working a job which offers almost no challenges or knowledge? I don't want to spend my time learning and improving webdev skills in my spare time. I have other interests. But I realized that this position is practically braindead and just takes a huge amount of time for nothing in return. I feel like a factory worker, doing same shit all the time and wasting my life. It feels like a dead end.

Am i retarded? Why cant i find a single working vagrant box with ubuntu 16.04 with php7 LAMP stack with a synced www folder. Tried a billion old boxes and trying to upgrade them but shit never ever works.

Did anybody have to write a CV in their thesis? I have no idea what to put there, it's not, like, a job application... What, should I list my education in that same institution and then list my skills, put past work experiences and all the other shit as well? I don't get it why are they asking for it.

Anyone have any portfolio inspos?

Primary objective of job is getting paid. But there is no reason why you should not try get better job. So basically keep working your current job but also look for better one. Just don't quit until you have confirmed new job.

Wat. Are you looking for inspiration to design a portfolio or are you looking for ideas for apps to build to put into your portfolio?

When will webasm be standard?

>What resources did you use to teach yourself?
Books.

I find it easier to learn if I sit away from the computer with a book and only go to the computer to work on an exercise.

It's fun to sit outside in the early morning learning a new language to a cup of coffee.

It's still at least a couple years away from being anywhere close to complete. Then you have to convince the powers-that-be to agree and accept it as a standard. Then you have to wait for web dev community to actually start learning C and make stuff with it. Then we all go through the same awkward phase we're all in now with ES6 where it's technically the current standard, but support is still patchy enough that you have to use babel to ensure compatibility. Considering it's ${CURRENT_YEAR} and something like 4% of people are still using IE, I expect that last part to take a while.

I would estimate at least a decade before it really catches on, if it even does catch on at all.

People will start to develop tools and more language transpilers as soon as there is an specification available, and I hope that will encourage adoption. HTML5 wasn't finished but everybody starting using asap.

Is it possible to host the same site from two different computers on the same network?

I want to have a setup where I can leave my desktop and pick up from my laptop without too much hassle.

uhm, just host it in one machine and log into it from the other one, or use git... or something? learn a bit about networking and use the tools you already have?

Don't host from home. It's really stupid

Learn to use the command line, and stuff like scp and ssh.

I'm not hosting to the internet officially yet. Just practicing and localhosting to test.

ssh or whatever remote thing you need to use
desu, your post is confusing. you clearly need some knowledge of networking.

Wordpress.

>automatic payment for subscription
Can you elaborate more on what you're thinking of implementing here?

how/where do I get free bootstrap themes?

I've actually just managed to get a Web2py server working in a Docker images to launch and run correctly using SSL on an Azure machine.

It took a bit but I'm happy with the results. Its really flexible and easily updated.

thoughts on php7?

looks really neat so far

good improvement, but it's still PHP

Good job at being indoctrinated by Sup Forums memes.

youre the memer, this whole thread is nothing but PHP shilling

Are you new? wdg in particular talks mad shit on php.

Learn a real language

very thoughtful reply. listen to this.

By mad shit you mean the PHP shilling just started a few weeks ago? Thats pretty funny that someone has picked the absolute worst scripting language to meme

>... [PHP] doesn't follow established patterns laid by more complete languages which many don't want to sort through vs any technical difficulties.
>[The] Web 2.0 movement really took off roughly 5 years ago, CS graduates found web apps could work with languages and principles they know and now we're in a place where smart educated people can use familiar, tried and tested methods to build applications on the web, after having to deal with legacy PHP for the ten years before that.

Look at all the PHP memes the PHP memers are shilling, PHP is faster than Go lol, Laravel is a meme, you want to code SQL by hand, wow, the retarded shilling doesnt get better than this

>Laravel is a meme. If you want a job, learn whatever is in demand. For personal projects use something more solid than Laravel or PHP.
>Current node.js is slower than current php and a lot of people said that working with node.js is completely irrelevant for today projects.
>Benchmarks proved it multiple times, node is slower than php7+ for almost anything

>Why would you use PHP for web dev? Who the fuck wants to make a new request for every page of a website when you can just request the data you need into a SAP
>Because it's quick to get something out the door, it's tried and tested, it isn't a meme, and if you actually use the language properly it isn't really all that much of a mess either.