Why Amd should live on

I keep hearing people say that amd is going to die and should die on this board. Im going to explain why that's a bad thing to happen in the computer industry.

Im just going to talk about the processor part of this because that's where the most damage in the industry would happen.

Back when in the early 80s intel made the x86 processor instruction set that we see modern desktop and laptop processors run on. Intel has only licensed out the instruction set to one other company to act as a back up manufacture of there processors. That company was AMD. Eventually AMD gave the middle finger to intel, and started making its own processors and starting a competition with intel that we see to this day.

Now what will happen if Amd dies will be a bad thing for the consumer. Intel will probably buy out amd and at that point intel would have a monopoly on the market. They could raise prices on there products, have bad products altogether and buggy drivers. And we would have to deal with it. No one else would have the license for the x86 instruction set. And intel would probably never license it out again seeing how it originally bit them in the ass. It would be a bad time all around. I know i sound like a AMD fan boy, but im not. I prefer nivida gpus and intels cpus. Im just saying how this would wreck the industry all around.

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/news/amd-zen-cpu-stock-market,32520.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

AMD isn't anywhere near bankruptcy, and they aren't being bought out by anyone. They're not going away.

Stop listening to shitposters.

> amd dead lul
Its a meme, amd is in its best shape since years.
It wont die for a long time if they dont fuck up something real bad.

Its only the absolute worst Nvidiots that say this shit. Don't worry, AMD ain't dying.
Stocks are up over 330% from what they had been not too long ago.

This.
tomshardware.com/news/amd-zen-cpu-stock-market,32520.html

wtf i want amd to live now

Yeah they are doing well i guess. Its been while since i checked the stocks. Alight point taken.

You're wasting your time, anyone unironically hoping that AMD dies is a Sup Forumstard or just wants to watch the world burn.

yeah i realize now.

I am praying a third competitor enters the gpu market (the matrox rumor caught my attention). I like both companies in various regards, but i am fucking sick of their schemes and bullshit pricings, pointless and beyond childish arguments between the fanbases. It would be exciting to see how the gpu wars would unfold should a third manufacturer enter the race.

And not like the sods who say that are the sort that would listen to reasonable argument. Much less - God forbid - change their worldviews based on rational things like that.

Top kek.

This is their net profit from the last 3 years (in thousands).

Literally losing BILLIONS of dollars.

They have about 4 years to get their shit (poo) together before they are done for.

Did you even see their Q2 report?

Yup, first time they pulled a profit in 2 FUCKING YEARS.

One positive quarter does not save a company, they are DOWN 40 MILLION this year.

not that i would invest in AMD but you can see a positive trend, they've improved from being $660M in the red to actually turning a profit

>we should prop up failed businesses that don't actually compete with other companies in their field(s) in order to preserve competition!

berniefags actually believe this shit

a better solution would be to allow x86 to be licensed freely so that other companies like nvidia (their denver cpus can already emulate x86), qualcomm, samsung, etc can design their own.

A positive trend? Look at their net income over the last 5 years.

Notice how it's all negative except a few tiny peaks.

They're doing the same shit they've been doing for a long time, losing shitloads of money.

I find this board's shilling passion for AMD quite amusing. Nowhere else do I see this kind of thing.

But, yeah, totally, amd should live on so they can keep up competition, even though it's been 10 years since we had last seen a competing amd product, specially in the CPU department. That makes for a fine piece of logic.

Also, yeah, you're totally spot on, intel would buy out AMD and create a monopoly. It's not like we have laws to avoid this precise situation and even break down companies in case this were to happen or anything.

And yeah, AMD is totally fine. They are only losing losing millions of dollars every month consistently, but hey! Their stocks are up! That's what keeps a company afloat isn't it?

Maybe they wouldn't be getting close to bankruptcy to the point where they have already received a warning last year if they spent more money actually trying to compete with intel and nvidia instead of hiring you people to damage control for them.

This. AMD needs to die because it cannot compete. We need real competitors to replace it.

>I find this board's shilling passion for AMD quite amusing. Nowhere else do I see this kind of thing.

Sup Forums loves the underdog. Just like Linux and other bullshit that is obviously inferior.

>And yeah, AMD is totally fine. They are only losing losing millions of dollars every month consistently, but hey! Their stocks are up! That's what keeps a company afloat isn't it?

Well of course it does, specially in amd's case, whose stocks are like 4~5 dollars now when they used to go for 40+ dollars each about 8 or so years ago. That just screams healthy.

This shit gets quite tiresome over time because these threads make this board seem like a huge overcompensation chamber filled with mental gymnastics trying desperately to seek anything positive in the mud and focus solely on it. Kind of like when there is a synthetic benchmark where an amd product performs better and they basically keep shouting for you to keep looking at it and disregard real world scenarios.

Who could replace AMD? VIA? Don't say ARM.

Apple, Qualcomm, Samsung, NVIDIA.

We need a choice when we buy CPUs. Intel obviously makes the premium product.

But if you trust a company that once tried to attach individual user footprints to their chips, then you're at least partly stupid. We need AMD's existence to keep Intel in line.

China says hi.

THIS

amd only has an x86 license because of EU interventionist bullshit, it's only fair if others can also use x86 otherwise it's fucked up that only shitAMD gets this privilege

>Intel obviously makes the premium product.

That's not even true anymore. Intel has the best price performance in all sectors now except extremely low cost. And even then you're better off just getting a used Intel processor than an AMD.

Uh huh, because amd totally keeps intel in line with its blazing hot -10% market share amirite?

>except extremely low cost
Such as?
MSRP of an x7-Z8700 2.4GHz quad core part is $37 dollars. I don't believe AMD even has a comparable low end part that competes.

I believe you're both missing the point. As long as there is an alternative, Intel can't dominate the market as they see fit.

For a little while back around 05/06, AMD did surpass Intel before Intel figured out how to properly get two cores on one die. So to Intel, AMD is still just smart enough to be dangerous. That's generally good for the consumer.

Without AMD we would talk about the latest 32 bit CPU from the Intel monopoly

AMD Gains 4.8% Market Share In Q1 2016

'In total discrete graphics, AMD gained 4.8 share points to 34.2% of market by unit volume (based on Mercury Research). In desktop discrete, a subset of total discrete, AMD saw a 7.3 share point increase, rising to 29.9% market share. This is another positive testament AMD’s strategy is working as the company drives forward towards "Vega" offerings for the enthusiast GPU market, which AMD expects to bring to market in 2017 to complement our current generation of "Polaris" products.'

Nvidia on suicide watch

and then nvidia took a dump on amd with the pascal cards

>muh vega
probably doesn't even have simultaneous multi-projection and 1080 ti will be out by then

Are you retarded enough to think anyone wants an x86 license? It's a cross use deal btw, Intel gets the x64 extensions.

your gonna look pretty silly when their reserved HBM2 hits the market first and instantly sells out

yes there is, you think people actually want ARM shit for anything besides mobile/embedded? nvidia was going to use ARM cores on their graphics cards but you can bet they'd consider using x86 if they had it available to them

>Also according to Demerjian, Project Denver was originally intended to support both ARM and x86 code using code morphing technology from Transmeta, but was changed to the ARMv8-A 64-bit instruction set because Nvidia could not obtain a license to Intel's patents.

Not hard when you have a grand total of 20 cards in stock like with Fury X.