/sqt/ Stupid Question Thread

/sqt/ - Ask your stupid questions here
Old one here: OP Question: Does anybody still have that headphones guide where you stick an external mic for cheap to a good pair of headphones?

Other urls found in this thread:

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
64.230.195.105/bg/IPRESSaveback/index.html?policy=1&policyname=IPRESSaveback&time=1471708821&url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File:1316372662626.png
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315466
acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
pcpartpicker.com/list/788p2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/XfmTJV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When does the next Xeon socket come out?

I wanna get a server, but I don't want my socket to be outdated in a fucking year.

My desktop died so now I am running on a 4 year old laptop with windows 7. I am experiencing the windows rot like no other. Are there any ways to cure this?

Dumbass

People are searching for "stupid" not "small", fuckhead.

People search for sqt, shitstain. That's the whole point of it being in the OP

I upgraded to W10 recently (PC that is only used to play gaymes and little else, don't meme about it), and it fucked up my boot, and I have no clue why. I can only get it to boot if I hold F8 to prompt the boot menu and manually select the disk where Windows is installed, otherwise it leads me to a screen that says my installation is corrupt, mentioning winload.exe.

I tried googling around, which led me to trying to repair it by using bootrec.exe in Recovery, but when I do so, the commands tell me that I don't have any partition with Windows installed, therefore doing nothing.

Additional info that might be relevant, while in Windows, it always shows one of my 2 disks as an external disk, but only one or the other, never both. (SSD with Windows on it, HDD without).

Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Shit's really fucking weird.

Wrong thread, see

Which windows 7 is the best one?
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

Wrong thread, see

Yeah I noticed that afterwards.

memes aside. why should i use arch over mint

Wrong thread, see

Hi guys,

What's your way to pronounce nginx?

engine ex

Why has Hitbox.tv stopped working for me on every single fucking browser?

Try asking in the /sqt/

On windows 7, when WinUpdate is disabled, there is this annoying message telling me to activate it on my taskbar, beside the clock.

How do i remove it?

I fully encrypted my SSD. Does the length of the passprase affect performance? So would everything run slightly faster if it was 20 charachters instead of 30?

Wrong thread, see

What antivirus should I use if I'm on Windows 7?

Wrong thread, see

I'm running windows (along with arch) on a thinkpad from 2008 and I've never even heard of windows rot. Why not try gentoo?

I could just be bad ram sticks, because I have put it to sleep often over the years.

I just installed Ubuntu 16.04 on VirtualBox and i'm getting the following message when trying to boot after restarting the machine: intel_rapl: no valid rapl domains found in package 0. I google'd but was unable to fix it. Also intel vt-x is enabled

If FLAC is lossless then how come I can find .flac for the same song in different sizes?

Wrong thread, see

Just installed windows 7, had to install a shit ton of drivers and some other updates.
I believe I'm still missing a few.

If i uninstall windows 7 and install windows 10, will it come with the updates and drivers or will I have to install some of that shit too.

Some examples of the updates I'm talking about is that emoji update thing where I could see the emoji text rather than a box.

Wrong thread, see

I don't see a nostalgia thread, and I have nothing to bump with, so I'll post here.
>/hc/ - Hardcore
There is a surprising amount of CTR monitors and bulky laptops. I thought Sup Forumstards would have a laugh or something.

if my total load wattage is 382 for everything i need for a cheap build, will a 430 psu watt be fine?

Wrong thread, see

It will be "fine", but just know that maximum efficiency is achieved at half the load.

You better have a pretty efficient PSU at that load, 90 percent efficiency is preferable.

Can you give us your build and budget?

shut the fuck up

should i major in cyber security. I would do comp sci but math skills are not great. Coding is easy to me.

Wrong thread, see

Wrong thread, see

Do whatever you want

Wrong thread, see

So this link >64.230.195.105/bg/IPRESSaveback/index.html?policy=1&policyname=IPRESSaveback&time=1471708821&url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

randomly pops up in my browser whenever I reload a page, what the fuck is this?

Wrong thread, see

Thanks b0ss

I just bought an lg monitor the 29um68-p
Should be freesync compatible and it also appears in the official list on the amd web site but on Readon Setting i cannot enable freesync becuase it says not compatible.
I don't understand the problem where is, i also installed the monitor drivers 2 times

Wrong thread, see

my bad, misclicked

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File:1316372662626.png
i bought the headset it links, it's decent quality, but the earpiece is literally useless so you will need to do the velcro thing with some headphones as it shows or replace it to use it.

>add two monitors to mobo, my 144hz one remains on GPU

>this starts happening, and doesnt leave till i refresh dwm/super+d

win7
what wrong help plse

Wrong thread, see

what is the difference - discounting semantics?

running the .exe file of a Qt project tells me i'm "missing q5widgetsd.dll". but i'm not
what do

also the location i create a Qt project is the only location it will run from

what's a good alternative for C++ GUI (not visual studio 2015)

PS: i closed some tabs (like the one on the far left, ctrl+1, ctrl+2 etc), how do i open them again (can't find a "view")

not that guy, but everyone else is already in that thread so you are more likely to get a response there. it makes more sense to consolidate them instead of having multiple threads for the same thing

yeah that makes sense i didnt realize this one was like, abandoned
thanks lad

Why are CDs time based? Why can't I write a 10 hour 500mb audio file to a 700mb audio disk? It should fit theoretically, its not like a vinyl where the physical properties matter during playback
Why is this?

>theoretically
do you know what you're talking about. I bet you don't. Because if you really knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't be asking this question.

Which is exactly the difference between python and C(besides the allocating memory part). What can python do that C can't, and vice versa. Same question, but with C and C++.

I'm trying to install tomato firmware on my router however I found it wasn't compatible what's the next best router I should buy?

Is there any reason bird food shouldn't be part of my pup bf's diet?

So almost EVERY website I go on gives me a: "This website is unable to load, maybe this website changed its address" for Google, YouTube, Netflix.

I've reset my browser, but can't think of anything that would fix this

I just got a new laptop
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315466

and found the motherboard drivers
acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

But they don't list support for windows 7. Does that matter much, or should I just leave windows 10 on it?

if i buy 3rd party router will I get new ip address? isp is comcast

Can anyone link a guide or just tell me how to install gnome on kali?

I've broken my menu about 3 times in the last hour and don't know why gnome takes away my workspaces and glues all windows to the top left.

It's time to retire my laptop from 2009. It's done me well, but I need a desktop 'cause of the hours I'm putting in.

Will I get 7 years out of this?

pcpartpicker.com/list/788p2R

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($419.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: EVGA Micro 2 Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($202.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($654.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($127.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1992.39

Spend half that, wait until it's not good enough, then do it again.

What kind of work are you doing that couldn't be handled by any cheap SBC?

Some time mid next year with Skylake-E, LGA3647 on the high end with 6 channel RAM, possibly a 2xxx pin quad channel variant that's more mid range.

Everything gets outdated in a year or two, that's how progress works, you have to buy sometime.

If you're paying for a static IP, no. If you're on a dynamic IP, it'll likely change even if you just unplug your current modem for a few hours and plug it in again

How do I turn auto quoting off this shit makes everything so clustered.

Pic related

Is it possible to run both windows and linux at the same time on two different hard drives in one pc?

How do I make my foobar window look like left? Is there any complement I'm missing?

How do I make my foobar window look like the left one? Is there any complement I'm missing?

To hot swap? No.

Use CCleaner to clean out junk files and uninstall unnecessary programs.

Then defrag the harddrive.

That should help.

Avast is good as free antivirus goes.

>MPC-HC64 K-lite codec pack
Why these settings are greyed out?
How do I enable them?

I am an accounts payable team (well me my virtualised user accounts/bots are) for an insurance company and process about 1800 to 2100 transactions a day. I remote in currently, but have got permission to run off-site. I'm trying to avoid having a server rack style setup in my home-study looking all ugly and being loud.

Also, I like to play games (hence the 1080).

What's a good distro that works out of box for non-thinkpads?

I've tried to use various flavors on my gateway laptop but I have a feeling it might be too locked down to use it for anything besides windows.

Mint

Do a USB boot to see if you like it.

>Have 2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" Running El Capitan.
>Enable File Vault.
>Keyboard backlight does not function, and is not adjustable in log in window.

Is this intended functionality??

I use my laptop alot, but I also use it in a office type environment daily too. To the point where I probably use the equivalent of two full battery charges per day. In terms of increasing longevity am I better off leaving it plugged in to the charger whenever possible, or letting the battery run down and only plugging it in when it needs charge? I'm guessing if I let it run down I should only let it get to around 20% before charging right?

Was this build a mistake?

pcpartpicker.com/list/XfmTJV

I read reviews for days and had the whole build approved by a friend but I'm kind of wondering if I fucked up because I feel like its not performing as it should be , and I think its either my build or Win 10 being weird because I was dumb and didnt do a clean install.
Also I bought all this six months ago.

defrag, ccleaner to mop up any random files. use ccleaner to go through and uninstall any and all programs you don't need or use any more. run ccleaner again to clear up aything maybe left behind. then use the tool to clear up the registry.

Check you windows startup options and disable anything from starting on boot that you don't need. check you HDD to make sure it's not near capacity too. delete shit if it is.

The H60 and 380 were mistakes

After a multi purpose laptop. Would be nice if I can run win 7 on it too.

It should have an ssd or i should be able to put ny own ssd in it I already have.

I'd like to do some gaming. Not too hard core or high end but should be at least playable.

Multi purpose for work / travel. (Don't need a large screen can use monitor at home) so lightweight would be handy.

Will run Photoshop and Adobe suite on it too.

Some casual gaming of the newer stuff (Intel HD won't cut it).

Suggestions?

Ok

So I am trying to unistall windows 10 for 8.1
I have 8 on a USB and all the videos and google searches say I have to find the UEFI settings in advanced options
It should be in the menu in the pic but its not
What do?

I was planning on waiting for the (now) new Nvidia cards to come out and wanted something to hold me out until then.

Any advice on a better cooler?

Can SCSI hijack letter assignments? I installed a SCSI controller so I could use a zip drive but now the drive is assigned as D: when my second HDD was D: and now the HDD isn't showing up in Windows but it shows up in the BIOS.

I mean its an okay cooler so it may not be worth replacing unless you want to spend a lot more, its just that it costs twice as much as air coolers that work just as well.

So I've heard about CPU transistors reaching a size limit and the amount they can fit on a chip, and it makes me wonder: what's stopping them from just making the chips bigger?

2x size the chip, 2x the amount of transistors = more calculations = more speed, no? Mind you I know just about bum-fuck about CPU technology, but this is my current understanding.

Wut?

Backup
Format
Reinstall

it's that easy.

I believe it has to do with energy efficiency and heat dissipation in commercial models.

Cooling, yields

how does Sup Forums feel about preordering the 1080?

>preordering
>already released

I can't install without getting to BIOS

What's the best method of activating windows 10 pro? I downloaded daz loader but apparently they don't support windows 10.

I have a cheap refurbished business PC are there any decent slot powered graphics coming ?

there is a 950 bus powered model, might be a 1050 eventually but nothing scheduled

>Why can't I write a 10 hour 500mb audio file to a 700mb audio disk?
because you don't understand how CDs work
the red book/audio cd/CDDA standard defines exactly what the format of the audio is, and how it's stored
that format is raw, uncompressed PCM at a specific bit depth and sample rate
this means the amount of audio in real time is fixed from the beginning

just the fact that you said "700mb audio disk" tells me everything, "700mb" is only applicable to (mode1) CD-ROM, cd-rom and cd-audio are /different standards/ which simply use the same physical media

you can fit arbitrary compressed audio on a cd, but unless it meets the standard, it won't play back in standard players properly

am I actually a fucking schizoid

tell me I'm overreacting pls