/tpg/

Previous thread:

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch (embed)

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1 (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ld0l8J9YffU
amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/152-4487207-2765956?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=x220
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for T430 Nvidia master race.

is it theoretically possible to put a larger resolution display on an older thinkpad if it has its whitelist disabled via libre\coreboot or a hacked bios?

does anybody know how to check battery warranty?
obvious note: it is not battery included with laptop but separate one
note 2: it is accually from recall, I am checking papers that came with it, but there is no link betbeen papers and battery (SN is never mentioned)

there is no whitelis for screens, bios also doesn't matter, what matters is physicall support on board, if chip can handle that, if connector is the same etc.

there is no whitelist for displays, thats only for the pcie slot for wifi.
and yeah it's theoretically possible, it's just that nobody makes any good lvds screens that will fit in an older thinkpad.
have you tested the vidya much with the 5400m?
any chance you've played gta 5?
Now that I've set up my w520 for server work I'd like to replace my t420 (intel only) with a t430 with nvidia for both the 1600x900 screen, and the possibility of playing vidya on it

I've been playing gta 4 and postal 2 paradise lost for the moment, as I've never played the postal 2 expansions and gta 4 was played in a rush.

Anyway, what I can tell you is that I installed gta 5 and it runs (I only launched it and say that it ran and was playable with minimum settings). It's a good laptop for some light gaming.

Ever since I updated to Ubuntu 16.04 the wifi on my X220 keeps cutting randomly. There is nothing interesting in dmesg, and restarting the networking service has no effect (nor enabling/disabling wifi in NM). Toggling the physical wifi-switch works though, as does a reboot of course.

So, anyone have the same issue and is there a fix? Note that I've been running Ubuntu for years on this machine with no issue, so its really weird that this suddenly happened now...

same shit here on my t420. Im probably going to just go back to 15.10 or distrohop.

Check syslog.

Anyone tried the x250? Looking at either this or the asus ux305ca for a cheap linux laptop for development.

Get a x220 or x230. way cheaper.

Not as many features as later think pads but you can't beat the retro feel

Does my thinkpad have a virus?

JUST BOUGHT AN X220 WHAT DO I DO ?

install gentoo

buy and install SSD, RAM, and a new screen.

in the middle of installing debian. bootloader fucked.
i got ssd and 8 rams. which kind of screen? ips?

IPS screen, higher res if you need it.

they don't make higher res screens for the x220
unless you do some modding, and even then you get like a 1080p screen at best.
and with a 1080p screen that means you either get eye aids from having to squint consantly, or eye cancer from using scaling

This X200 I got has both annoying VRM whine and some static crackling through the built in speaker. Is there anything I can do about either of those? I didn't really notice until I put in a SSD because the old hard drive was noisy enough to cover it up.

>picture of full screen video on youtube
x220 i5 with Windows 7, what causes pic related?

Happens under linux as well, doesn't have to be full screen.

try taking out one of your sticks of ram and see if it sticks
I feel like it's a gpu related issue, and since the gpu uses the normal system ram (that you've probably touched) it may be going bad or something.

Oh ok, that explains it, the RAM in my x220 is old and from a different system, I been wanting to buy new RAM anyway, any RAM good?

if you are buying new ram just spend the little bit extra to get 16 gigs
also get 1333mhz minimum. anything lower is pretty slow at this point.

>16GB

I thought x220 could only have 8 total

no, sandy bridge - haswell supports 8 gig dimms per slot
it's the 3rd gen core 2 duo and 1st gen core i that only support 4gb per slot.
then will broadwell + it's 16 gigs per slot

anyone have problems with thinkvantage? trying to use it to update drivers on w7 but it keep failing when i try to download

T420 for $350 at my local thrift shop running Ubuntu. Has it become a mainstream machine now?

i think one of the dudes just googled 't420 price' and concluded that it was worth 350 dollars. hate it when they do that shit.

1024x768 is enough with some scaling and good font rendering, it's perfect for shitposting/programming/decent webpages, but newer meme webpages might look weird in 4:3
Seriously 4:3 is great
Libreboot is ridiculously safe on the X60, but you lose tp_smapi capabilities and thus battery thresholds/recalibration
You can always flash your original firmware to change such things though, it's really easy to flash back to original or to flash Libreboot
Libreboot with the default GRUB2 payload makes booting insanely fast, just for that it is definitively worth it, even if you don't care about freedumbs
Coreboot should work equally well but it's a a pain to install compared to Libreboot

$350 is way to high for a t420
fuck that's too high for even a t430
that thing better come with a free hand job.

anyone else order an x62 from the guy coordinating us orders?

me

Got this baby for $175

Forgot image

can anyone comment on the heating properties of the x220? I've had a t420 for comparison, is it any more or less ball-melting?

i5 X220 temps are comparable to an i5/Nvidia T420. Expect upwards of 80C under load if you don't turn off Turbo Boost and use manual fan control to force the fan to run at full speed without slowing down as soon as temperatures dip back below 65.

you're gonna replace the keyboard, right?

>le unusable chiclet keyboard xD

sounds pretty solid. now i just have to find one at a decent price that doesn't have chipped corners.

But the chiclet keyboard is shit?
Enjoy being a pleb then I guess

Is there any general guidline on when kaby lake thinkpads (specifically t-series) are to be expected?

they canceled every line except Edge and Yoga

Just ebayed a t430 myself, what screen did you get? I plan on doing the classic keyboard mod.

so new t-series will only come out once cannonlake is out?

Loving my T440p so far.
Second hand, £300, 18 month Lenovo warranty and the battery is still very good.

Just got a T420 for my dad, comes with a win7 product key. Can I use this key on an SP1 ISO? Shitty internet so I don't really want to install vanilla then wait for winblows upgrade to get me that SP1.

And no loonix is a no go because dad.

Put the T450 trackpad and enjoy it more.

>Can I use this key on an SP1 ISO
of course you can

maybe you need to install without a key and install the oem certificate (.xrm-ms) + key afterwards. guides how to do this can be found easily on the internet.

This x220 is going for about 40% less than average around the price of x201.

I was looking at x201's but the x220 if I can get a good price seems better all round, save the 16:9.

So

Is the i5 acceptable?
Can I check if IPS from serial number?

Asked the seller about screen but they are literally too retarded to check in the driver details to find out.

Only other notable points is no HD. But I intend on dumping an SSD in it anyway.

Worth it?

Holy fuck. 3 sellers now too retarded and unwilling to verify screen type for me.

>ask and give instructions
"Sorry no idea"
"Sorry I don't know my husband is away"

Is 150€ a good price for a T420 sporting a not-guaranteed 1h battery?

I'm in the market for a memepad and will probably get the T420. Is there anything I should know about its battery, and would it be recommendable to get a new one?
Ideally I'd want about 8 hours.

Don't buy from pajeets

There you go. Just remember to get the 2GB 5400m variant (and possibly 28nm one instead of 40nm, if you're lucky).

also settings

14 inch

Keyboard isn't bad. It's different but not bad. All the people who shit on it are tards who have never actually used it.

cont settings

2/2 settings
Also:
-Fallout 4 works fine at 1600x900 and almost everything set to medium (except textures, which are high)
-FC4 works fine (same as above)
-BF3/BF4 works flawlessly
-all source-based gaymes are working at 1920x1200 and everything set to ultra
Any other gaym I should test?

how often you have problems typical for older laptops (like gpu falling off and having to reball it) with thinkpads? mostly wondering about x230.

gpu falling was only related to t61p quadro series. Intel GPUs were never affected.
Also all nvidia/amd gpus since t61p were completely fine.

I've been testing my recently arrived t420s. It idles at about 53ºC with fan at 0, going up to about 75º on 60fps videos and light games, fan at 7.

Can I expect a major benefit if I open it up and switch thermal paste, along with the whole heatsink thing? t420s seems like a bitch to open for that

No, not really. It's fine.

Alright, thanks.

Just found out there's a 256gb ssd in the x201 I just bought. But it smells kinda toasty when I turn it on so I guess it's time for some dust removal.

Is it worthy to buy x220 for 290$?
- 256gb ssd
- 8gb ram
It was only used to be exhibitory item in shop.

Wait, this is a T430!? Can it play No Man's Sky at all? Or Hawken with no frame drops?

I don't know, I can download one of these and test it.

Not absolute though

ok, so hawken will work perfectly fine:
youtube.com/watch?v=ld0l8J9YffU
it's 630m which is slower than overclocked nvs5400m.
I'm not sure about no mans sky, I can't download it now to test it.

T450s for $500 (8go RAM 180go ssd) should I buy?

specs?

i7-3630qm, 16gb ram, nvs 5400m 2GB, intel 530 120gb ssd, kingston savage 480gb ssd, 2tb samsung m9t hdd
I'm testing the i7 right now with HT disabled. Seems to be a lot cooler (85C max instead of 95-100 under full load) with turbo enabled.
Holy fuck I want t460p with gtx1060m. That's the only laptop I'll get to replace my old T430.

if you consider the mney spent upgrading and buying this computer you could have bought one t460p!

except t460p comes with GT 940MX at best. So I'll have to wait for t470p.

Looking for a good laptop after my x230 broke i can spend around 1200 dollarydoos im about to buy an E460 with 16gb i5 and 250 gb ssd is this a good choice? Would anything be better?

Bought a T420 used form a local PC repair shop the other day for $270 CAD. Pretty happy with it, running Xubuntu on an SSD

>buying unused shit
Kek. Enjoy your waste of money

it's just not a /tpg/ thinkpad if it doesn't have that nice little overlay of neckbeard cum from the previous owner over its keyboard

You probably mean corporate employee's cum.
Also you should sterilize your thinkpad after arrival

Depends on who you buy it from I guess
And still, even after sterilization, that wouldn't bode particularly well with me

Currently writing on an x220 that's running Android 6.0, feels pretty good guys.

>that wouldn't bode particularly well with me
then replace the entire keyboard for $10 you autistic cuck.

Post screenshot Google cuck

why android?
Just install debian on it. Android doesn't work well with the igpu

>le cuck maymay
go watch some anime on your crusty toy laptop sperglord

Hey E460 buyer here cant reply cuz hacked nokia brick cbf explaining.
I have no problems with used but employer said choose whatever upto 1200 after x230 broke.

I don't watch anime.
My laptop isn't a toy. It costs more than you, your father and your mother combined.

>implying
post specs you fucking faggot
inb4 consumercuck equipment like a fully-specced out Dell XPS 15 that you consider a """workstation"""

>guy who unironically asked about buying an E series trying to act superior to anyone else for using "consumercuck equipment"
o i am laffin

actually not kiddo
my posts start at

Thoughts?
>amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/152-4487207-2765956?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=x220

there you go, cuck. Soon I'll be upgrading the CPU to i7-3740qm.

okay
>guy who is defending a guy who unironically asked about buying an E series trying to act superior to anyone else for using "consumercuck equipment"
still laffin

>using sandy bridge mobile cpus in 2016
You might as well just kill yourself now.

if it doesn't have a Xeon, a Quadro GPU and ECC RAM it's a toy
literally get good

>xeon
>laptop
Kek. Show me ONE model with "xeon" and 14" screen. I dare you.
Daily reminder: mobile xeons are basically i7s with misleading names
>quadro GPU
It does have Quadro NVS GPU.
>ECC
>laptop
I'm not even gonna explain to you how stupid you are. KYS

try again nigger, I was making a general statement regarding used laptops

>buying consumershit laptops
>calling somebody a nigger