Just finished the build and I'm having an issue

Just finished the build and I'm having an issue.

With one stick of ram, everything boots up fine. I can replace that stick with any of the 4 I have an it works fine. The moment I try to insert 2 or more sticks, no dice. Just power cycles and won't even post.

Any ideas?

you have a virus

Thanks, how do I get it to stop power cycling so I can uninstall it?

does it give you a code?

you should write that and further details in the sqt

Could be your motherboard or the integrated memory controller on the cpu. Try flashing the latest BIOS on the motherboard.

No code.

I was thinking that as well. Will do that now

Download more ram

Have you tried the second stick in each of the memory slots?

Either:
1. Bad RAM
2. Bad RAM slot
3. Bad CPU
4. Bad CPU socket

Do you have PC speaker connected? If not find one and tell us what "beep" it does when it fails to boot with your RAM.
Tell us what BIOS you have too.

1. If it works with different RAM sticks then you just had a fault stick.
2. Circle through RAM slots and see if you can boot.
3. If you have a spare CPU compatible with your motherboard socket try it to see if it boots.
4. If you're sure it's not 1,2,3 then you might have bent CPU pins

and Sup Forums is not your tech assistance board. Next time you call geeksquad ducking cunt I won't bother staying in this thread.

None of the above.

I just updated the BIOS.

I can use any of the 4 sticks, in any slot and it will boot fine so long as it is just a single stick of ram. Any stick, any slot. The moment I try to use 2 or more, 5 long beeps and it restarts.

Sounds like your mobo is fucked on arrival, OP. :(

Read

Sounds like either your motherboard or your CPU is bad. Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to say which one.

There are instructions in the motherboard manual telling you which ram slots can be used together.

Slots are like: ABAB
You can only use the A's or B's (or both when you're using 4 RAM modules). Using one A slot and 1 B slot won't boot.

This is the complete opposite, you need to use one A slot and one B slot to get dual channel to work.

It depends. OP should check the manual.

Updated bios.
Single stick works in any slot, 1-2-3-4.

2 sticks work in either 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

4 sticks still won't work.

Are the sticks the same?

What cpu and how many gigs or ram are you trying to use

>I just updated the BIOS.

I want the manufactuer of your BIOS
AMI ? Pheonix ?

Beep codes aren't the same between manufacturers.

All sticks are identical, they all worked in my previous machine.

6700K, 4x8GB

Gigabyte

>Gigabyte

That's the brand of your motherboard.

You know what, just give me the name of your motherboard.

first time I assembled my pc it would start up then instantly power down. after much googling I looked in the case and finally realized I forgot the 8 pin atx power cable

many months later I installed a fan controller. had to do some internal USB expansion. same fucking problem, except this time the atx power cable somehow came unplugged from the power supply

I'm glad my troubles aren't like this

Have some popcorn. Hope ya'll can figure this out for OP.

For me it's like
>did I screw down the heatsink enough
>did I screw it down too much now?
>oh god I hope that crunching sound isn't the processor
And of course when I turn it on it works and temps are great, but that inbetween is fucking horror

If it's an ASUS board, try hitting the MemOK! Button or turning on/off the auto XMP switch if you have those.

Otherwise try manually setting RAM parameters with a single stick in and see if that works.

Also: You're putting them in the proper slots, yes? Usually you go with the two same colored slots (lighter color on most boards) or if they're all the same color, go with the slot closest to the CPU and then the slot after the next slot (so one slot in-between)

My bad, I just looked and I guess it's the slot furthest from the CPU and then a slot between.

I must be thinking of PCI-E slots

As I was building this new PC I have one of ASUS' new X99 boards with the fucking CPU installation tool thing. I could not figure out how to work that dumb shit and just wanted to install the old fashioned way, but the socket was so tight I was sure I was gonna break some shit.

Finally just said YOLO and mashed down on the locking arm, seems fine but fuck me that was nerve-wracking.

My previous board wasn't that tight nor was my old Sandy Bridge ASUS.

Shit motherboard, throw it in the garbage.

Some also claim wrong torque on the cooler can fuck up ram slots as the memory controller is built into the CPU.

I know that feel, i thought that the mb pcb would crack under such force but luckily everything worked like it should