Do people actually use this or is it just a meme?

Do people actually use this or is it just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

torproject.org/docs/tor-hidden-service.html.en
raspberrypi.org/blog/onion-pi-tor-proxy/
sandboxie.com/
whonix.org/
tails.boum.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, it's used.

Yes

i use it to spam vote strawpolls

Yes, but not to post here (it's banned due to spammers, shitposters and idiot pedofags who can all use it too, because anyone can use it).

I buy overpriced drugs from there.

Mostly junkies and pedophiles.

No. Onion web is infiltrated already. Also
>facebook uses tor
>not leaving the honeypot

Facebook uses the Internet
>not leaving the honeypot

>overpriced
how? maybe i don't buy the same stuff that you buy, but i seriously thought everything is cheaper by default compared to street as fewer parties take a cut

How do you guys even order?

Do they deliver to your home? Do you trust a random druglord to know your home address?

>infiltrated
If you mean, anonymity systems work for everyone, including LE/IC running undercover operations? - then yes, you're absolutely right.

>Facebook
Have you actually talked with the engineers in the Facebook security team in London who did the facebookcorewwwi dot onion thing? I did.

I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of countries like blocking major social media sites like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, particularly during times of unrest, or because they feel like it.

Facebook's still Facebook, yes; I and my friends have our strong disagreements about their advertising practices and their real name policy (of course that's not something the security team are in a practical position to do much about, and I sympathise with anyone who has to keep the code of a horde of rabid brogrammers whose given motto is actually literally "move fast and break things" as secure as is practical - not to mention having servers in places they don't trust, which they try very hard at keeping secure, even if that is an uphill struggle at best).

Facebook still know who the user is if they log in, because that is what they do. But the user's ISP doesn't; and that is at least something valuable. They do gain something from the whole thing: about 20-50 thousand users, often in countries like Iran, who would otherwise be unable to usefully reach the site or would have to go via an outproxy - just another opportunity to stain the traffic and attack the Tor network.

Tor is excellent at censorship circumvention, particularly when keyed obfs4 is involved.

It's not perfect, or even close, but it is a rare positive step from a place which rarely makes positive steps.

They probably use the PO boxes

gets sent by post. it's not so different to shopping on amazon/ebay

Buy a letter box
Install it at some random run-down house
Write fake name on it

People use it and its somewhat a meme as well. Most people doing shady shit will use other options as well.

send it to a PO box idiot. If you live in a country that does not care for personal use your fine.

ie first offensive is a fine and mandatory AA meeting or whatever rather then jail time.

>Do they deliver to your home?
They can, although it's probably not a good idea unless you live somewhere where authorities don't give a shit like slav countries.
Do you trust a random druglord to know your home address?
No. But you can send it somewhere else and pick it up.

I speak academically, as an outsider vaguely interested in the practical operational security difficulties; no value judgments for any party involved - I'm not getting into that, it's off-topic.

I never saw the Silk Road myself, but from what I've read in various places, it and its successors were/are literally mail order drugs, yes - with all the obvious operational security/logistics difficulties that would entail.

I don't think a lot of people generally got things delivered to their home. There was talk of forwarding addresses, collection stuff, post-office boxes and the like - which doesn't really add a strong layer of protection but seems to have been operationally significant for some.

Interestingly I've not seen a credible report of anyone buying weapons via such a site in any scenario where that wasn't a law enforcement sting. The same seems to have been true for other services.

The frequency, volume and diversity of traffic to the Silk Road, and indeed onion services in general, was still absolutely dwarfed by the outproxy traffic to the wider internet - something like a 1:50 ratio from the few analytics we do have (bearing in mind that some analytics, such as Gareth's, have been shown to have wide inaccuracies).

Normies use to certain degree to buy drugs or other illegal shit without the slightest knowledge of what they're using, how it works and that the NSA could rape 'em all balls deep.

Setting up onion sites is actually cheaper and easier than clearnet sites.

So... why arent there more hidden torrent sites?

Because torrenting through Tor causes harm to the network.

Somebody buy me some truffles with bitcoins and il pay you in GBP. I dont want a digital wallet.

I meant indexing sites, not torrenting itself.

This. Obviously you shouldn't torrent through tor, it's not worth it, not only do you slow down the network you also won't get much download speed at all. And the reason behind there not being that many indexing sites is normies don't know or are afraid of tor so you're targeting a very small audience, also tor would get more popular and more censured the more people are using it, sites would be even slower if the network becomes infested with normies thus significantly increasing time required to search for torrents and browse tor in general. It's just not profitable unless more people start running exit nodes and media stops presenting tor as the place filled with crime.

depends on what you're getting and what city you live in. The coke is really expensive compared to local dealers, but LSD is really cheap

>I have no idea what I'm talking about

the post

>lsd is cheap
Where do you buy it? I haven't found cheaper ones, but I did see some extremely cheap tabs which made me suspect the quality.

Pedos, """"freedom fighters"""" and script kiddies who want to pretend to be elite haxors.

People use it to access the black market.

If i ran a server or website on this, would it protect my IP?

Not even doing anything illegal, i just wanna run a server from my house without fear of hackers getting my IP and me getting BTFO

>mfw country is rich and no run down houses near me

torproject.org/docs/tor-hidden-service.html.en
Check the instructions. It shouldn't reveal your IP. I recommend running it on a raspberry pi or something similar because it uses less power than your everyday PC.

If your going to use 'TOR' or the Onion router it is suggested that you use an Onion PI, I would suggest operating TOR on a Linux VM, Tails and whonix are a good couple of VMs to use, Also suggest you use a different computer then you use for gaming and socializing. Encrypt that computers drive with BitLocker, stay away from any company that is associated with internet business machines. Configuring your exit notes is also suggested and also using sandboxie in conjunction with TOR. Knowing networking will really help as this helps with threat detection. Also its a good idea to reconfigure your DNS
Links
raspberrypi.org/blog/onion-pi-tor-proxy/
sandboxie.com/
whonix.org/
tails.boum.org/

links

*exit nodes* typo

People only use it when they want to buy drugs or fap to children.

If you're worried about the NSA/FBI getting your IP if you run a hidden service then yes, they can get your IP. They will either use a timing attack and use data from your ISP to get your IP, or they will exploit whatever server software you use and get it that way.

They wouldn't do that unless the site is doing illegal shit, which he said he wouldn't do.

>if im a good boy big brother wont ram me raw

must be nice to be a stupid american

Not even an American, retard. They don't care about a random edgy kid running a tor service for anime girls.

It's only used by pedos and criminals

You mean Tor

I heard dutchcandyshop sells good LSD for a reasonable price on hansa

Meme

LMAO
>bitlocker
>non FOSS
good luck with your NSA backdoor

>Is x a meme?
Fuck off.

>>>>>> /r/Darknetmarkets

>Encrypt that computers drive with BitLocker
BitLocker is Microsoft's proprietary backdoored encryption service. Please use Veracrypt and run your Linux VM on a Linux machine instead.