There are people on Sup Forums right now who don't have a Mac or Hackintosh

There are people on Sup Forums right now who don't have a Mac or Hackintosh

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously/
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html
truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/
telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358134/Apples-Jobs-confirms-iPhone-kill-switch.html
npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/apple-says-game-about-palestinian-child-isnt-a-game
ifixit.org/blog/7401/ifixit-app-pulled/
mashable.com/2014/02/07/apple-app-tracks-drone-strikes/
theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/01/siri-abortion-apple-unintenional-omissions
theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/22/stagefright-flaw-ios-iphone-imessage-apple
theintercept.com/2016/04/12/apple-bug-exposed-chat-history-with-a-single-click/
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart0=
theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/apple-music-subscribers-siri-questions
blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/
web.archive.org/web/20160608183145/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/
theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair
computerworld.com/article/2541250/apple-mac/update--apple-plays-hardball--upgrade--bricks--unlocked-iphones.html
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49951/how-can-i-download-free-apps-without-registering-an-apple-idcool
apple.com/icloud/photos/
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033
theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/naked-celebrity-hack-icloud-backup-jennifer-lawrence
gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html#digitalcash
finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/privacy-advocates-worry-over-new-apple-iphone-tracking-feature-161836223.html
arstechnica.com/apple/2014/05/new-guidelines-outline-what-iphone-data-apple-can-give-to-police/
washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html
firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/22/apple-data/
motherboard.vice.com/read/switzerland-wants-a-single-universal-phone-charger-by-2017
eff.org/deeplinks/2008/11/apple-downgrades-macbook-video-drm
arstechnica.com/apple/2007/08/aacs-tentacles/
boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-yo.html
boingboing.net/2014/02/07/apple-yanks-last-remaining-bit.html
weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2008/03/07/code-signing-and-you/
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/11/papers-please-game-ipad-nude-body-scans
9to5mac.com/2014/12/01/ios-8-1-signing-window-closed/
web.archive.org/web/20150721065208/http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Status
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I know.

Good job pajeet. 0.1 sheckels have been deposited into your shilling account.

Why the fuck would I have one? GNU/Linux is superior to OS X in every way.

Make up your mind. Do Pajeets shill Microsoft or Apple?

>people like this exist

Kek

Are you implying I'm a currynigger or use Debian? Because I'm not and I don't.

Sure Mohammad Pajeet

I could be wrong but doesn't osx just function like a locked down Linux?

user, Pajeets shill anything that they will be paid to shill. I would not be surprised if one Pajeet is simultaneously shilling Apple and Microsoft and Nvidia and Android. You can't afford a 10-piece McChickenTikaNuggets through shilling just one single product, after all.

>applecuck

Yeah wave your accessory around, i dont care because i use a computer.

Don't worry Sup Forumsuys. Summer ends and the macfags will go away.

You're saying that there are people on Sup Forums with an high iq than the average?
It's obvious, the majority use a better OS, GNU/linux.

I do, in fact I'm posting from it right now.

Maybe, but it's definitely not superior in commercial software support.

they need to justify their stupid purchase.

No, it functions like a normal BSD.

Your so Sup Forums-cucked that you are calling it GNU/Linux

Thank God!

That just means the proprietary shitware is inferior by not supporting GNU+Linux.
Not really, it doesn't. BSD has a proper package manager, for one. Brew is unofficial half-assed shit with old packages.

>Commerical software
I understand on a work provided computer but why would you need that on a personal computer?

I'm calling it for what it is.

>Brew is unofficial half-assed shit with old packages.

Wanna know how I know you never owned a mac? Brew is completely fine and packages are always up to date.

Yeah that's retarded.
When I make a bad buy decision I sell it or trash it, I don't try to rationalize it. But they put way too much emotion in their purchases.

I bet you say that irl too when people ask what OS you use. No, you say Linux. If not your a condescending faggot who got memed into real life.

>hipstertrash.

Go breathe underwater for me please.

>BSD is hipster trash

Hey it's okay if you don't wanna use BSD, but posting that nobody uses them is just outright ignorance. Microsoft's own infrastructure is built on BSD to give you one example.

Not an argument

I'm saying GNU/Linux or GNU. Linux is the name of the kernel.

Yeah, it's nuts. It's fun to get them to tell you exactly how they'd hack into a Mac though. Not one fucking clue.

Fuck, I nearly puked
And I diidn't puke for freaking 11 years

Interesting how only linuxfags get triggered by this while Windows users don't give a fuck.

>Microsoft
literally the worst possible example you could give
Netflix is a far better example

My point was that people do use BSD. I don't care who or what company it is, but BSD is widely used and it competes pretty fiercely with Linux in the professional market.

Corporations use it for servers, not people.

>but BSD is widely used and it competes pretty fiercely with Linux in the professional market.

Maybe try to actually read my posts fully instead of reading the first sentence then stopping.

>BSD has a proper package manager, for one.
It does, it's the same one on Mac OS.

>BSD is hipster trash
He didn't say that

Interesting how only winfags need to shield themselves while Linux users don't give a fuck.

Since I'm neither a fag, nor doing anything a Mac would be the best choice for, I don't have any use for one.

Okay good for him. I was making a point.

Again you were triggered

Nice defense of your irrelevant point. Learn to read so you can save yourself the embarrassment, later.

Nice backpedalling. Learn to come up with an actual argument so you don't waste my time.

Honestly, why do you guys buy macs?
Not even part of the apple hate meme, but I don't understand why you guys who browse Sup Forums, who would have the awareness to avoid such products, would buy something that is not able to be serviced by the user.

see

90% are trolls
the other 10% haven't understood they were not welcome

I use OSX for work because Linux would take too much time to configure and maintain. Sure you give up some flexibility but any less time spent in dependency hell is a win for me. I basically view it as the most mainstream Unix-like distro you can get.

Windows for me would just be why.jpg

I have the awareness to know that Linux is cancer that attracts users with mental illness.

not a real reason?

I mean, sure you'll get perfect osx without issues if you don't go the hackintosh route, but that doesn't change the reality.

Mac
>can't service it at all
>less ports
>no physical button for trackpad, no trackpoint
>no swappable battery

honestly, how does a Sup Forumsentooman use something like this? I've looked at macs in stores, and of course I thought they were cool. thin, light, visually appealing. that doesn't solve the issues though, and these are not minor ones that can be overlooked.

why do you take that criticism to apple personally? is necessary to call names to random people just to defend your tastes?

>can't service it at all
I serviced my 2011 MacBook Pro (which is my main computer) several times before.
>less ports
When used as a portable computer, it has enough ports, when at home I use the Thunderbolt connector for my monitor, one USB port of my external Time Machine drive and the other just has a hub connected to it to accommodate all peripherals. Not many laptops have more than 4 ports, and I use more devices with my hub.
>no physical button for trackpad, no trackpoint
I use a mouse at home but rely on the trackpad otherwise and it's by far my favourite pointing device on any laptop I've owned. The Trackpoint on on T410 is also nice to use, but I find that the MBP's trackpad is more comfortable and convenient to use. Doesn't need buttons when you can tap to click.
>no swappable battery
The battery can still be swapped when necessary, it's just a lot more inconvenient than on other laptops. Not that big of an issue when you only need to swap it once every few years.

When my current MacBook Pro needs to be replaced, I might opt for a Hackintosh laptop, if OS X works perfectly and the performance/cost ratio is worth it.

It really depends on the model you get. The new Macbook gets away with being as thin and small as it is by sacrificing all those things. That would be the most consumer-targeted model.

Meanwhile in the pro market, you aren't going to be moving as much volume of these computers so they are pretty much an afterthought to Apple. The Mac Pros are always a generation behind. They are somewhat serviceable (SSD, RAM, CPU), but generally speaking the people in this bracket value their time more doing work than putting in more memory etc, not to mention the warranty.

>would buy something that is not able to be serviced by the user.
But I can service it. It hasn't broken in 3 years, though, so I doubt I ever will before it gets repalced.

Im thinking about buying a mac mini to replace my old desktop. I just cant justify paying a grand for laptop.

>5 year old apple battery
sure thing buddy

It's not using a 5 year old battery though.

>mactards are so inept they find the retarded behavior of their OS fine
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously/

>how-to geek
>geek
mac hipsters are not geeks, stop pretending
no amount of thick rim frameless glasses will fix this

Oh look it's you again. What a coincidence.

We both know you're lying.

>less time spent in dependency hel
its 2016, you only fall into dependency hell if you're running weird ass hardware, setting up a server or doing some autistic project

Are you seriously denying this is real?

BTW it happened to me one of the few times I had to use MaCoS 10.

Do it. You will enjoy using your computer more.

>Are you seriously denying this is real?
Ye,s because, at least since OS X 10.9, there is no issue.

even assuming it was fixed, that does not erase the past
just because you weren't born doesn't mean it doesn't exist
fucking summerfags

You don't move directories much do you?

I do, yea. Works fine.

Apple's Operating Systems Are Malware
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html

Malware means software designed to function in ways that mistreat or harm the user. (This does not include accidental errors.) This page explains how the software in Apple's computer products are malware.

Malware and nonfree software are two different issues. The difference between free software and nonfree software is in whether the users have control of the program or vice versa. It's not directly a question of what the program does when it runs. However, in practice nonfree software is often malware, because the developer's awareness that the users would be powerless to fix any malicious functionalities tempts the developer to impose some.

Apple Back Doors

Mac OS X had an intentional local back door for 4 years, which could be exploited by attackers to gain root privileges.
truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/

The iPhone has a back door that allows Apple to remotely delete apps which Apple considers “inappropriate”. Jobs said it's OK for Apple to have this power because of course we can trust Apple.
telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358134/Apples-Jobs-confirms-iPhone-kill-switch.html

The iPhone has a back door for remote wipe. It's not always enabled, but users are led into enabling it without understanding.
npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone

Apple Censorship

Apple censors games, banning some games from the cr…app store because of which political points they suggest. Some political points are apparently considered acceptable.
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/apple-says-game-about-palestinian-child-isnt-a-game

Apple banned a program from the App Store because its developers committed the enormity of disassembling some iThings.
ifixit.org/blog/7401/ifixit-app-pulled/

Apple rejected an app that displayed the locations of US drone assassinations, giving various excuses. Each time the developers fixed one “problem”, Apple complained about another. After the fifth rejection, Apple admitted it was censoring the app based on the subject matter.

As of 2015, Apple systematically bans apps that endorse abortion rights or would help women find abortions.
mashable.com/2014/02/07/apple-app-tracks-drone-strikes/

This particular political slant affects other Apple services.
theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/01/siri-abortion-apple-unintenional-omissions

Apple Insecurity

A vulnerability in Apple's Image I/O API allowed an attacker to execute malacious code from any application which uses this API to render a certain kind of image file.
theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/22/stagefright-flaw-ios-iphone-imessage-apple

A bug in the iThings Messages app allowed a malicious web site to extract all the user's messaging history.
theintercept.com/2016/04/12/apple-bug-exposed-chat-history-with-a-single-click/

>Hackintosh

Still trying to get into the Applel club without paying the membership fee, poorfag?

Apple Interference

Various proprietary programs often mess up the user's system. They are like sabotage, but they are not grave enough to qualify for the word “sabotage”. Nonetheless, they are nasty and wrong. This section describes examples of Apple committing interference.

Apple forced millions of iThings to download a system upgrade without asking the users. Apple did not forcibly install the upgrade but the downloading alone caused lots of trouble.
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart0=

Apple Pressuring

Proprietary companies can take advantage of their customers by imposing arbitrary limits to their use of the software. This section reports examples of hard sell and other unjust commercial tactics by Apple.

Apple Siri refuses to give you information about music charts if you're not an Apple Music subscriber.
theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/apple-music-subscribers-siri-questions

Apple Sabotage

The wrongs in this section are not precisely malware, since they do not involve making the program that runs in a way that hurts the user. But they are a lot like malware, since they are technical Apple actions that harm to the users of specific Apple software.

The Apple Music client program scans the user's file system for music files, copies them to an Apple server, and deletes them.
blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

Apple stops users from fixing the security bugs in Quicktime for Windows, while refusing to fix them itself.
web.archive.org/web/20160608183145/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/

iOS version 9 for iThings sabotages them irreparably if they were repaired by someone other than Apple. Apple eventually backed off from this policy under criticism from the users. However, it has not acknowledged that this was wrong.
theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

An Apple firmware “upgrade” bricked iPhones that had been unlocked. The “upgrade” also deactivated applications not approved by Apple censorship. All this was apparently intentional.
computerworld.com/article/2541250/apple-mac/update--apple-plays-hardball--upgrade--bricks--unlocked-iphones.html

Apple deleted from iPods the music that users had got from internet music stores that competed with iTunes.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs

Apple Surveillance

Users cannot make an Apple ID (necessary to install even gratis apps) without giving a valid email address and receiving the verification code Apple sends to it.
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49951/how-can-i-download-free-apps-without-registering-an-apple-idcool

iThings automatically upload to Apple's servers all the photos and videos they make.
apple.com/icloud/photos/
iCloud Photo Library stores every photo and video you take, and keeps them up to date on all your devices. Any edits you make are automatically updated everywhere. [...]
(From Apple's iCloud information as accessed on 24 Sep 2015.)

The iCloud feature is activated by the startup of iOS. The term “cloud” means “please don't ask where.”
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033

There is a way to deactivate iCloud, but it's active by default so it still counts as a surveillance functionality.

Unknown people apparently took advantage of this to get nude photos of many celebrities. They needed to break Apple's security to get at them, but NSA can access any of them through PRISM.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/naked-celebrity-hack-icloud-backup-jennifer-lawrence
gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html#digitalcash

The iBeacon lets stores determine exactly where the iThing is, and get other info too.
finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/privacy-advocates-worry-over-new-apple-iphone-tracking-feature-161836223.html

Apple can, and regularly does, remotely extract some data from iPhones for the state.
arstechnica.com/apple/2014/05/new-guidelines-outline-what-iphone-data-apple-can-give-to-police/

This may have improved with iOS 8 security improvements; but not as much as Apple claims.
washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html
firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/22/apple-data/

Apple DRM

Apple uses DRM software to prevent people from charging an iThing with a generic USB cable.
motherboard.vice.com/read/switzerland-wants-a-single-universal-phone-charger-by-2017

DRM (digital restrictions mechanisms) in MacOS. This article focuses on the fact that a new model of Macbook introduced a requirement for monitors to have malicious hardware, but DRM software in MacOS is involved in activating the hardware. The software for accessing iTunes is also responsible.
eff.org/deeplinks/2008/11/apple-downgrades-macbook-video-drm

DRM that caters to Bluray disks. (The article focused on Windows and said that MacOS would do the same thing subsequently.)
arstechnica.com/apple/2007/08/aacs-tentacles/

Apple Jails

iOS, the operating system of the Apple iThings, is a jail for users. That means it imposes censorship of application programs.
boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-yo.html

Apple has used this power to censor all bitcoin apps for the iThings.
boingboing.net/2014/02/07/apple-yanks-last-remaining-bit.html

Apple, in the iThings, pioneered the practice of general purpose computers that are jails, and the term comes from iThing users, who referred to escaping from the censorship as “jailbreaking.”

Here is an article about the code signing that the iThings use to jail the user.
weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2008/03/07/code-signing-and-you/

Curiously, Apple is beginning to allow limited passage through the walls of the the iThing jail: users can now install apps built from source code, provided the source code is written in Swift. Users cannot do this freely because they are required to identify themselves. Here are details.

While this is a crack in the prison walls, it is not big enough to mean that the iThings are no longer jails.

More examples of Apple's arbitrary and inconsistent censorship.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/11/papers-please-game-ipad-nude-body-scans

Apple Tyrants

Apple arbitrarily blocks users from installing old versions of iOS.
9to5mac.com/2014/12/01/ios-8-1-signing-window-closed/

The iThings are tyrant devices: they do not permit installing a different or modified operating system. There is a port of Android to the iThings, but installing it requires finding a bug or “exploit” to make it possible to install a different system.
web.archive.org/web/20150721065208/http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Status

>lying to strangers on the internet to protect a brand image

You'd have to be pretty butt blasted to post something like this.

>2007
>bug
>oh noes app store
>oh noes icloud

>even assuming it was fixed, that does not erase the past

So does that mean I should refuse to use Windows on the grounds that at one point MS pulled even scummier shit than they do now?

Oh well, at least there's Linux or BSD. Oh wait, shit, nope. Once upon a time dependency hell existed, so I guess I can't use those either.

Well shit, I guess there's not a single operating system I can use, given how you love to move the goalposts.

Why do you think Gentoo is called Gentoo Linux and Debian is called Debian GNU/Linux?

No need. Custom desktop and Surface 4 pro satisfies everything I want in any situation.

the macfag claimed it never existed

guess the thinkpad

I have one. It's garbage. The OS is garbage. The keyboard is garbage. The screen is garbage. Even the build quality is garbage.

I'm just going to use this until it dies completely, even if fixing the dying GPU is possible

Just buy a thinkpad.

>implying not an apple shill trying to shut down discussion

He said that it hasn't been an issue since version 10.9, and thus it is no longer an issue. He never once claimed it was never an issue, but keep on trying with those straws you're grasping at. I'm sure you'll get something. It's easy to make anything look like shit when you cherrypick enough, even Chinkpads.

Kill yourself.

Getting ready to build a tower myself. Love my rMBP but am really feeling its limitations at this point.

To answer the inevitable Sup Forums question of
>why not linux?
The answer comes down to polish. It's frustrating how much desktop linux software feels like an amateur hack job. Missing features, badly designed UIs, and bugs abound. Not that these things aren't present in commercial/closed software as well, but at least there's enough of it to have a choice and be able to steer clear of the lemons. Too often are there only one or two linux apps that do exactly what you're looking for and half the time both suck ass in some way.

The GTK/Qt divide is damned frustrating too. Just fucking decide already so at least open/save panels can be 100% consistent across the board like they should be in any OS written since 1996.

>It's frustrating how much desktop linux software feels like an amateur hack job.
This. I really enjoy working under a Unix-like environment but can't stand the lack of consistency and pleasant user experience under Linux. Even a "full-featured" distro with many included packages feels like it's been thrown together out of unpolished pieces by amateurs. Nowhere near as comfortable and on-point as OS X.

>being so pajeet that you think pajeet can't shill both
How much does it cost to make you think that?

>The GTK/Qt divide is damned frustrating too. Just fucking decide already so at least open/save panels can be 100% consistent across the board like they should be in any OS written since 1996.
Or better yet, if Linux is really as much about choice and modularity as its advocates say it is, why not just exclude open panels from UI toolkits –entirely– and instead let open/save panels be provided by a user-selectable system service?

40 million

>no buttplug
0/10

>Just buy a thinkpad.
Would you install hackintosh on it?

t. dualboot thinkpad and macbook owner

>non retina

Your right, it is shit.

No buddy you're on point. It's why I have a Windows desktop, and why I'll be getting a Macbook as my next laptop. I've tried to like Linux but it consistently feels so amateurish and hackjob.

Of course it's great that those options exist, but some of us just want to open software and have it work, not spend ages fiddling with settings to make things "just right".

>not spend ages fiddling with settings to make things "just right".
And that's really where the devil is in it, isn't it? It's easy to get a Linux desktop that covers 80%-90% of your needs but that last 10%-20% worth of fine details can take ages, or potentially even forever. The latter was my experience – my setup would be very close to what I want, but just wrong enough to remain frustrating, and no amount of tweaking seemed to be able to fix it.

>Windows for me would just be why.jpg

Funnily, I see Windows somewhere between Linux distros and Macs, since:

Linux -> Pure freedom, much tinkering for some things
Windows -> You can pretty much do what you like, most shit works
Mac -> Walled garden, but if shit doesn't physically break, everything works exactly as expected

based pajeet

>Mac -> Walled garden,
Meme.