Given our current understanding of physics, what is our best chance at FTL?

Given our current understanding of physics, what is our best chance at FTL?

Other urls found in this thread:

golem.de/news/em-drive-der-warp-antrieb-muss-noch-warten-1606-121641-2.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Alcubierre drives, even though it technically isn't FTL

Current? Impossible.

did you get banned from /sci/ ?

Yes, how did you know?

Since /sci/ seems to be 90% trolling about flat earth and arguing about which STEM branch is the best, not sure what you COULD get banned for on there.

what happened with this thing?

It'd be pretty amazing to see it work, mars will become less than a days trip away, the outer solar system hours away.

Even if travelling to another solar system is a muti-year undertaking still, just having our own solar system at our fingertips would be incredible.

As far as i've heard, still not disproven, still not 100% proven. Still makes /sci/ 100% mad.

It's in the weird stages of proven and disproven. The claims made have little merit. It works to a degree but no where near what was claimed. However it gets better and better as it gets reworked and tinkered with

Using Quantum weirdness to achieve great speeds that are not restricted by the speed of light. The problem is matter can not move that fast however information can and even faster than we can observe. There has to be a way and we will find it.

>golem.de/news/em-drive-der-warp-antrieb-muss-noch-warten-1606-121641-2.html
sorry for german link but too lazy to find other

tldr: its pretty much disproven after the chinese did a test in February this year where they used a battery driven test unit, which didn't produce any measurable thrust, seems like before, the thrust was produced from the interaction with the powerline

Well, obviously we just need to shoot a helium atom at a black hole @ 1.3473728288x the speed of light.
The result is the creation of a space rift, momentarily allowing us to create energy from nothing.

>however information can
wut

Ever heard of Quantum Entanglement? It's some neat shit. There is a few other ways information can travel but I can not remember the names.

Seeing as nasa is still experimenting with it the Chinese likely lied (because they have EVERY reason to). It doesn't produce much thrust at all though, it's only useful when in space and even then it's a matter of energy efficiency, not speed.

Explain how you can transmit a data point (say, either a 0 or a 1) with QE.

I kind of never really expected it to work, but its kind of a pity it doesn't. Then again... chink science is about reliable as chinkshit.

You're thinking of information as computer information, it's a tad bit different. Anyway I'll try to explain and do keep in mind I am no physicist. Now Imagine we have the tech to alter a quarks state to a positive or negative charge and good enough tech to entangle a particle(say a photon) and put it somewhere(anywhere in the universe) now switching states of one of the entangled photon quark will cause the other to be the exact opposite.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem

That was a good read, thanks for the cite. That's pretty lame we can't convey information that way. However there has to be a way to do this even with or without QE, wouldn't you agree? Maybe our understanding of Quantum Theory isn't enough to allow it at this time.

>mars will become less than a days trip away, the outer solar system hours away
Did something get mixed up here?

If you trust the Chinese you've got a huge problem man.

We just have to become tacyons

>There has to be a way to do it
There isn't. Information cannot move faster than the speed of light. Ever.

>there has to be a way to do this even with or without QE
There might be a way that we just haven't gotten to yet, but there certainly doesn't have to be.

Lame

Of course not but you don't get anywhere if you don't atleast try.

>there has to be a way!
>no there doesn't
>of course there doesn't but-

Misworded my post nigga, Just stoked on physics.

>this is totally damage control.

If you were "stoked on physics" you'd actually learn physics instead of acting like a stoner coming up with "whoa dude" scenarios.

>Rook here capitarist scum, drive no workie! Stop researching em technorogy!

Take your shitpost to
You don't instantly know everything about physics mate.

Making a real topic

It can in quantum level ways

He knows more than you. And he's right. You're literally that kid that spouts a bunch of physics memes to sound smart.

>defensive shitposting at maximum

I'm afraid we'll only see that in video games. Only robots will ever reach other stars.
Not FTL.

No it can't. If you think so, you don't understand those processes.

Anyway, there really is not much hope to practically manipulate space time enough to achieve FTL travel. Not happening.

So no civil conversation here? We going to resort to calling each other shit? Because Im not a physicist I can not engage in the discussion to try to learn more is what you're saying..

100%

>Because Im not a physicist I can not engage in the discussion to try to learn more is what you're saying
Nobody's saying that you retard. Because you don't know physics, you should learn physics before trying to have public conversations about physics.
Sup Forums is not your physics tutor. You did not come here to learn physics, and if you did you shouldn't have. Learn physics from something actually intended to teach physics, and then spawn as many discussions as you want.
Until, you're just uselessly spouting shit and wasting the time of the people who for some reason reply to you.

Fuck FTL, fuck space alien niggers, I don't want to spend trillions of dollars on a machine so we can watch some cunt alien mowing his lawn on Planet X.

Never said Sup Forums was my tutor. I came here to discuss and see what others have to say about it. I am trying to study physics, it doesn't happen over night. Also you choose to digress.

That is dependent on the monies fo dem progremz and the latest Wars for Liberating Brown People from their Resources.

We already have TR3B and AYYLIMUS. The elites will leave the planet and leave it to the niggers and mudslimes.

>We already have TR3B and AYYLIMUS. The elites will leave the planet and leave it to the niggers and mudslimes.

I read that as:

>We already have three bait and AYYLMAO. The elites will leave the planet and leave it to the niggers and mudslimes.

>RTFM
Physics has an arch community equivalent?

We can't FTL is equivalent to time travel if relativity is true, and last time I checked we had some pretty good confirmation of relativity.

>
>>RTFM
>Physics has an arch community equivalent?

Yeah pretty much any person who can literally use the title Physicist will tell you thought. Science enthusiasm is great but is poorly portrayed by "I fucking love science" fans. "What the Bleep Do We Know" is not science but uses loosely sciences based speculation to make metaphysical arguments. Half of the new age bullshit on the market uses sciencey words to self legitimize.

If you can't back up an assertion with a peer reviewed citation, don't make it and go read more. You shouldn't give advice about error codes you've never seen, and you shouldn't just make up science because it conforms to the biased model you've created in your mind.

Given our current understanding of physics, it's impossible.

>Maybe our understanding of Quantum Theory isn't enough to allow it at this time.
Yours definitely isn't.

No shit, Im still learning. We are all still learning

FTL travel suffers from the same problem as time travel: if it were possible, people would be visiting us / harvesting us for energy already.

our radio waves are pretty suspicious, but we are just one rock, around one star, among countless stars, among unknown numbers of galaxies

we're not that rad or important that we'd definitely have to have things on our ass if there was other, much more advanced technology and life out there

If someone on our planet would ever figure it out, he'd visit our planet. So that means we will never find it out.

>Implying

I'm sorry, but QE still doesn't imply FTL information transfer.