/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

raw.githubusercontent.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/master/screenfetch-dev
raw.githubusercontent.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/master/screenfetch.1
youtube.com/user/MrAngryTeach/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
github.com/servicemanager/servicemanager
twitter.com/AnonBabble

install gentoo

How do i fix this

I wish this meme would go away. It's so fucking dead.

Fix your fonts, go to preferences and change to a good font.

Click the arrow and then filter tripcode.

Alternativly install noto fonts.

well what do you know, the meme debian works now

it'll never die

see

Update your screenfetch.

Tell it to fuck off back to plebbit.

use Sup Forums filter

I've just installed it
if you were referring to the logo, it's because that's Devuan

download 4chanX and put this in your filters under Tripcode:
/^!/;

Ubij se.

nepristojno

>noto fonts
Wen Quan Yi is good for fallback font.

>that font rendering

screenfetch-dev supports Devuan.

sudo curl -s raw.githubusercontent.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/master/screenfetch-dev -o /usr/local/bin/screenfetch

sudo curl -s raw.githubusercontent.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/master/screenfetch.1 -o /usr/share/man/man1/screenfetch.1

ttf-symbola-ib

The only way to beat systemd and prevent it from becoming standard forever is to develop a better alternative init system with a modern codebase, that does not become an invasion of the bodysnatchers precisely like systemd

Agree or Disagree?

The future isn't in the past init systems. There's gotta be a new one.

looks good to me

I don't see any problem.

/fglt/ desktop environment survey time

what's your opinion on

>GNOME
>KDE Plasma
>Budgie
>Cinnamon
>MATE
>XFCE
>LXDE/LXQt
>WM vs DE for productivity

Why is Ubuntu running at like 20 celsius more at idle than my Windows installation?

>nouveau
Because you are fucking retarded.

this isn't plebit

>GNOME3
It works. It's heavy, so only use if you have decent hardware. Shell extensions make it neat. It's lacking in the default menu config options but it's not too shabby. My go-to "heavy" DE.

>KDE Plasma
Never liked it, specially how unstable it is. It feels super bloated, and this is coming from someone that likes GNOME3. The option menus are very good though.

>Budgie
Don't know it

>Cinammon
Very nice GNOME3 fork, specially if you're coming from Windows.

>MATE
Light and great GNOME2-style continuation

>XFCE
Don't like it. Felt broken and unnecessarily complicated

>LXDE
Wonderful. Lightest DE I know. My go-to DE for old hardware, when I don't want to go DE-less.

>LXQt
Haven't tried it yet, but I hear it's slightly heavier than LXDE, but not by much

Eh. Really it's getting in the nitty gritty. It's like asking if someone who uses vim is more productive than someone that uses Visual Studio. WM-only setups take time to get used to, and when you master them you can do everything faster. But it's up to you to know whether it's worth it to make that time investment.

Go be toxic somewhere else, tripfag. Nobody wants you here.
Filtered

My Brother HL-2240 printer was working, then one day all my printing jobs were stuck on pending.

I was going to try removing then readding the printer, but when I removed, I wasn't able to add it again. Not sure what to do since it seems to be recognized, just not in the Printers GUI things.

>GNOME
I like the concept of infinite virtual desktops, but I hate the design, both visual and software design
a DE depending on an init system is just silly.

>KDE Plasma
eats too much RAM for my tastes, 4GB isn't enough to give away to just anyone.

>Budgie
>Cinnamon
>MATE
>XFCE
not a fan. no reason in particular, I just like my DE enough to not switch

>LXDE/LXQt
I'm using LXDE and it's great. Coupled with pytyle I can even get tiling when I need to.
Everything I need is there and everything that isn't is obviously a gimmick.

I prefer DE's, because the WM I'd use would probably be openbox, and after installing a file manager, a panel and a terminal I'd end up with LXDE.

>4GB isn't enough to give away to just anyone.
I have 4GB in total and plasma 5 doesn't come close to using it all.

what's the cutest distro
what's your favorite anime

I'm running more than a DE though and I usually come close to 4gb usage
and I mean actual usage, not just disk cache listed as ram usage.

Please get rid of your trip code and then I'll answer your question.

no

Then fuck off. Filtered

wow rude

How much do you have though?

What's bad about systemd?

4GB

it's compromised

opinions on openSuse tumbleweed?

Please fuck off

One of the best rolling release distros, best KDE implementation by far, bloated with layers upon layers of GUI frontends. Slightly lacking official repos, with a weird way of adding more.

I'm still trying to get the hang of using Manjaro. I currently have KDE. How exactly do I install and switch from KDE to Cinnamon or another DE?

I installed Mint 17.3 KDE /fglt/

I'm pretty new to this whole linux thing but I've heard that you should upgrade the kernel because it gives you speed and security and stuff. On the other hand people at Mint say updating kernels is dangerous and will break things.

It took a while but I managed to find the place where I can update the kernel - and I did, to 4.4.0-34. from 3.9 something. Everything works so far, but I'm scared shitless, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Still, i'm surprised I can only update to 4.4. I've read somewhere that the latest kernel is like 4.7?

Anyway, my main question is, did I mess up my system by this? Will I gain noticeable speed? Or should I just reinstall and start over.

You seem to have clicked on the wrong thread.
You were probably looking for this one:

I'm too stupid to learn how it works

It means people who don't like giving stallman the proper credit have an argument against calling it GNU/Linux because it takes care of nearly every core OS function

Good /fglt/ youtube channels?
youtube.com/user/MrAngryTeach/videos
inb4 I'm self promoting

Relax. You didn't mess up your system. You likely won't gain anything noticeable either. By default, after upgrading your kernel, the old one is still there, added to your boot menu as another option, so if shit breaks, boot the old one, remove the newer one, and you're back to normal.

You're going to end up ricing and installing alternatives anyways so it doesn't matter

>muh ram, muh deps
doesn't matter on any system you'd install wayland/an X server on

You probably won't notice much difference. Kernel updates can break things but mostly not. Usually if the kernel boots for you then it should be ok.

At most proprietary drivers for the video card won't work with the latest kernel.
I'm on 4.6.6 with nvidia drivers on my desktop and on 4.7.2 on the laptop with intel IGP.
You don't have to reinstall.

>GNOME
shit but usable
>KDE Plasma
shit
>Budgie
shit
>Cinnamon
shit
>MATE
shit
>XFCE
xfeces. worst DE
>LXDE/LXQt
shit
>the one I'm using
the best

I would take a look at Manjaro as well.

They have really good out of the box ISOs for most major DEs and some tiling WMs.

List of /fglt/ approved distributions (incomplete):
>Void Linux
>Exherbo
>Funtoo
>Devuan
>Bedrock Linux
>Source Mage GNU/Linux
>Slackware

If you need systemd:

>Debian
>Gentoo

If you want something out of the box:
>Ubuntu
>Manjaro
>Linux Lite

If you want to be an edgelord while simultaneously being the laughingstock of the Linux community:
>Arch

You should learn what the kernel is.
But as for stability, updating the kernel doesn't usually break anything.
So if you can boot, you are probably safe.
You should keep old kernels, so if you update into something that doesn't work, you can boot into something else.

The alternative is to compile your own.
This teaches you a lot.

>the one I'm using
which one is that

This is a good thread to ask. Thanks to Microsoft retarded ideas, i plan to do this in the future [YouTube] Skylake Linux Box with PCIe Passthrough - OVMF + Qemu + KVM = GTA V (embed) the sad part is that i'm a total noob at this computing stuff. For now, i plan to dual boot. So my question is:

¿is there a way to "suspend" Linux when i go to Windows so i don't lose any data (and viceversa)?

>I explain it further since nobody got my question in a last thread

What i want is way that if i'm working in Linux and i want to play a game on Windows, i could go there without shutting down Linux.

Is that even possible or am i out of luck?

When I first joined Sup Forums everyone and their dog was jerking it over Arch, and now I see more hate for it than anything else.

What changed that made Arch less acceptible than Gentoo?

>GNOME
Gnome 2 > Gnome 3
>KDE Plasma
gas-works
>Cinnamon
Bugs
>Mate
Love It
>XFCE
Bugs
>LXDE/LXQT
Not bad

all the Sup Forums posters couldn't install it

SSD as boot drive and hibernate

systemd + all the edgy teenagers and anime fags that started using it and thought they were hardcore hackers for installing it.

Not on the same machine

I'll admit, I tried to install it myself, and after encountering an issue that, according to multiple threads around the internet, the only solution was to reinstall arch, I gave up and went back to my normal distro.

But I blame that on me being an impatient retard, not the distro.

>But I blame that on me being an impatient retard, not the distro.

This is the mentality that is fucking obnoxious about Arch

>it's never Arch's fault. Arch is perfect. YOU'RE the problem

hibernation

Thanks anons, very useful info!

I do have a few more questions though. So if I don't gain any noticeable speed from this upgrade, does that mean I need to install a distribution that comes with a 4.4 kernel by default and that one would be faster?
What I'm trying to say is: does the older OS negates the kernel upgrade's benefit? Or if you upgrade any distro to a new kernel, it gets as fast as any new one?

Also, do you think I should install these upgrades, or am I better off without? I mean...they are kinda red.

>Recommends Manjaro
>Disfavours Arch
Shut the fuck up, neo-Sup Forums

Arch is far from perfect, no distro is perfect, but as somebody coming from xubuntu because it's the only other fucking distro that will install on my piece of shit laptop, I don't have the patience to go through a 3-4 hour install twice

then use Architect which pretty much makes the install process same as , for example, Debian's

Why would it take 3-4 hours?

not as obnoxious as the mentality that if something doesn't perfectly cater to your wincuck needs it's flawed and broken, fucking entitled retards on my board.

>they are kinda red

You have hit the reason as to why most people here don't recommend Linux Mint. Yes, it's an easy to use and friendly derivative of Ubuntu - but the problem is that the codebase behind Linux Mint is really weird. With the default settings, those updates form upstream (From Debian, from Ubuntu) don't download because they first have to test them with the clusterfuck that is the Mint codebase for any incompatibities. They are known to recur to coding malpractice such as violating the namespace of another program, thus causing the original to be unusable. Stuff like that.

The shitty thing is that this includes security updates sometimes. So, by default, sometimes you won't have the latest security patches from upstream because they haven't been tested to be fully compatible with Mint. Which puts you at risk of exploits. And on the flip side, if you install them on Mint, you don't know if it's gonna break anything.

This is why Mint is a good "babby's first" distro, but definitely not something you want to use as your actual operating system.

When you feel comfortable, you should switch to something better, like Debian (and then upgrade it to Testing branch once installed). You sound like you'd be up to learning about it

Kernel updates are bug fixes, regressions, driver updates, file system updates etc.
Having an older kernel vs a newer kernel isn't going to make that big a difference unless you have some hardware that finally gets full support with the new one.

I don't want to be the guy telling you "you chose the wrong distro" but 17.3 with KDE? Why?
If you want a lighter desktop go with something that's not KDE, if you want the most up to date OS go with something that's rolling release or at least based on the latest Ubuntu.

Holy cow, i'm retarded. It was this video

youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4

Damn, for years i wondered what was the difference between "Sleep" and "Hibernate", but i only remembered about it when i was shutting down my PC. I suppose Linux has a similar option, right?. (i'll be using Mint for now, since is the only one were i have experience. I will jump into Debian in the future.)

thanks

>>Void Linux
>>Exherbo
>>Funtoo
>>Devuan
>>Bedrock Linux
>>Source Mage GNU/Linux

>/fglt/ "approved"
More like "mom I just heard of those hipster shit distros, so cool that I've never used it myself"

Reminder that only NEET permavirgins suffer from such level of mental insecurity

>Harder than Arch
>hipster shit

>Easier than Arch
>"haha noob get on my level :)"

>Harder than Arch
>Any of those distros
>"Harder"
Have you considered suicide yet, mouth breather?

Out of all of those I've only heard of Funtoo and Devuan, and it's my understanding that Funtoo is just Gentoo for people without patience, and Devuan is Debian for people who are too hipster for systemd

All the others sound like the most obscure bullshit he could find

> Only 8 people in the world have even heard of this distro before, so I definitely recommend it.

i'd say windows is harder than arch overall

pic related is my OS partition.
the fedora partition was enlarged, but I need to expand the filesystem.
Do i need to extend ext and gparted is just displaying it wrong or is the filesystem actually "lvm2 pv"?

>All the others sound like the most obscure bullshit he could find
Exactly. Also I'd bet the NEET only started Linux this month but his spamming is quite persistent

epic

you think i'm joking? how much experience have you had with both?

Agree in beat systemd, but some of us still like sysvinit way of scripts, and so we don't think it was ever broken, the new init better have something really cool and unix like to provide, and don't bother in making a new init if is either on python or shit libraries like that.

By the way, beating systemd is not all about having good programming skills, systemd has Red Hat bigots to force everybody to join the borg collective. Never mind there is a better alternative than theirs, what they actually want is vendor lock-in. Remember upstart, not even Canonical oppose them. Also the last guys who tried to make a sane alternative got trolled, hard github.com/servicemanager/servicemanager

So good luck with systemd and its trolls.

>>Void Linux
>>Exherbo
>>Funtoo
>>Devuan
>>Bedrock Linux
>>Source Mage GNU/Linux

O shit user r u an ebic haxor? R u da legiun XD?

let me guess, because pacman -Syu is easier than keeping software up-to-date in Windows?

Windows doesn't break every other major kernel update like Arch does.

slackware is older than anything you've used, get the fuck out

Is there any reason I should make a swap file on a new installation?

8 gigs of ram

Is not obscure bullshit, fuck you illiterate pleb

yes.

no

>my distro is older than yours so it's better

BTFO

>Windows doesn't break every other major kernel update like Arch does.
t. never used Arch before

And yet only a handful of people use it. Slackware needs a larger dev team

Do you do high end video editing or 5 simultaneous virtual machines with full GUI?

>he doesn't know Void Linux

sad

I installed slackware.

Why would anyone use this piece of literal dogshit?

Void is a useless piece of shit with no real driver support