Hey Sup Forums, I'm a new Windows-to-Linux convert. Anything I should know as I start this journey?

Hey Sup Forums, I'm a new Windows-to-Linux convert. Anything I should know as I start this journey?

Included is a screenshot of my desktop. I'm using Ubuntu.

what's your favorite anime

OP here.
I don't watch anime.
I don't have an interest in it.

you should watch k-on

Why?
I don't even watch regular TV shows.
I don't really care for anime, nor any other TV shows.
Besides, I'm here to discuss Linux help, not anime.
If you want to talk to someone about anime, go to Sup Forums.

this is a cute thread

watch k-on and aiura

Install steam
Have at it

no

watch non non biyori too
and the aria series

>Anything I should know as I start this journey?
Learn bash scripting, comes in handy

To become a true magician, install:
Xmonad
Vim
Vimperator

welcome to Sup Forums
where autistics cannot comprehend the difference between a drawing and technology.

watch umaru

OP here.

Yeah. I've spent a while here on clover, mostly on Sup Forums and /mlp/, but I came to this board for some advice. Apparently, some faggots here can't tell the difference between Sup Forums and Sup Forums.

Ubuntu or Mint are basically your best ways into Linux.
1. Learn your way around the terminal.
2. Install VMware, so you can try out other distros, because Ubuntu is going to get easy pretty quick.

>shes dead
>and you didn't even watch her animu

>Sup Forums
>/mlp/

kill yourself.

They are trolling you, newfag. Disregard them

season 3 never

OP here.

Yeah. My ultimate goal with Linux is to eventually get to Arch Linux levels of proficiency.

OP here.

I guess I'm still a newfag even after three years.
Goddamn it.

>three years
>still hasn't realized this is an anime image board

emacs is better
fuck off and die shitlord

Well fuckhead the first lesson you need to learn is to not forget the GNU in GNU/Linux

acme > sam > ed > dogshit > ex/vi > vi clones > vim > sandy > ne > joe > nano > teco > kate > geany > gedit > sublime text > atom > notepad.exe > emacs

It's Systemd/Linux now. Systemd's next release is going to even include a unix shell and a compiler.

Stop shitposting

you got > and < mixed up

Get rid of Ubuntu and install Debian. Now. If you must use that shitfest, install Numix and WINE.

Honestly, you don't need any skill to run Arch at all. It just comes with less stuff out of the box, which some people like. Personally, I find it easier to use than Ubuntu, it just forces you to set it up yourself before use.

You can get the same kind of thing with a Ubuntu netinstall, or by stripping your installed distro.

Learn to use apt-get to install programs and to update your system and just learn to use the terminal in general. Learn about file permissions and stuff like chroot, chmod, chown. Learn about formatting and mounting shit, learn to use dd. Did you know that the ext4 file system reserves 5% of the space for root by default? This is useless on a data partition, you can turn it off by issuing "sudo tune2fs -m 0 /dev/sda2" (assuming /dev/sda2 is your data partition). Did you know that you can create boobtable live usbs via a single dd command? Also you should learn about the different folders like /dev, /proc, etc.

Also you should stop watching my little pony.

Start by choosing your favorite anime character.
Then pretend she's real and that if she was she'd like you despite you being pathetic.
Then decorate your OS with pics of the anime and just always open pictures of anime and post in desktop threads.

That's literally all Linux users do.
Source: Windows fan

Richard Stallman's GNU/Linux*

>Sup Forums
>/mlp/

Only if you admit that anime is garbage

Arch isn't too difficult, hardest part is installing it. You should learn how to use the terminal, which you can do on any distro.

do you expect any better from a mobilefag?

Fuck off

Kill yourself

What animeme is that from senpai?

Kill yourself, stupid Sup Forums spill

im not trolling
watch nichijou

>> Sup Forums

>thinks 3 years is a long time
oh now that's just cute

if you wait until I reach home, I'll post some stuff relates to user experience and not install vim memes even though I should workout

is this the new desktop thread (pls r8)

needs more anime

>That's literally all Linux users do.
>Source: Windows fan
Wincucks with their mental retardation

fuck that wallpaper is painful to see

Hello desktop thread

How's this?

S A V E D

here I am

If you're using a laptop it's quite easy you'll eventually run into a driver issue (laptops are more prone to this). As a user, I made some mistakes in my learning curve and had to wipe my system a bunch of times (being NVIDIA proprietary drivers the biggest pain in the ass to set up at first).

First read about desktop environments and window managers (what's the definition of both and which alternatives you have) and keep in mind if you want to be safe while changing things you can always change things first in a virtual machine and then apply them to your system.

If you don't get somewhat comfortable around the idea of a terminal and bash commands you are going to regret it. You don't need to work as a mechanic, but if you know how to fix some silly stuff of your car you'll have less trouble. Because, once again, you'll break things. It's ok, it happens. But it's a pain in the ass when it happens; we all know it.

Breaking your system twice or thrice is depressing, that's why you should look into LVM (google LVM snapshot ubuntu and you'll find a great thread in askubuntu about this). Setting up a snapshot will make things easier since you can go back to a previous state.

If you want to get your feet wet about technology in linux, read about GNU and what defines the linux kernel, get a general idea of how linux architecture work (a very general one) and assume that there are many things you can learn to improve how you use your computer but it'll take you some time.

If you're *interested in computers* linux is fun, and if you plan on working/studying (or already are) in something related to IT it's actually pretty good to get a good grasp about some stuff you won't get taught and be more versatile as a professional.

btw forget about vim and emacs and all those meme things if you're no related to CS or IT

vim keybindings are pretty good and are well integrated in many programs (I use vimFX for firefox, i.e.), so if you highly value keyboard shortcuts invest some time in learning some vim basics (mainly shortcuts)

OP here.

Thanks.
I am both an IT technician, and a CTE teacher at the school I work for.

cool then

I'm studying computer-related stuff and almost managed to land a job thanks mostly to what I learned like 6 years ago when I installed ubuntu. Now I'm using debian stretch. I almost went for arch when I changed but since testing build is already pretty up to date I stayed with the debian family.

The best thing loonix can do for you is learning to use TTY/terminal and using things as low level as possible. Maybe you won't feel like needing "low level software" and you don't really need to but it helps you grasp better how everything works.

Take into account this is just how I feel with this, it doesn't necessarily apply to what you'll find in linux. Also, try to keep in mind that people (specially on 4chin) will be pushing too much their own vision of things (vim/emacs nonsense, i.e.) but you need to focus in your workflow and the way you learn and enjoy the things you use.

hope you have fun with linux! I'm glad I got into it and hope you'll feel the same way soon.

Everything in linux is a file. EVERYTHING.
I'd look up guides to using the terminal efficiently

Also depends on what you do with your box.
Are you programming?
Using it for a personal fuck around box?

>he thinks Arch users are proficient

No.
Everything is a file descriptor or a process.

Go back to your IRC circlejetk, faggot/
>muh mininalism

He's right tho and you know it exactly.

If you are going to say that better come prepared with some good resources like Also, in this day and age learning the command line is almost unnecessary thanks to Ubuntu and family. Think how many windows refugees we have.

Set up your firewall m8
su
pass:
rm -rf

>Anything I should know as I start this journey?

You'll go back. They always do.

Get a life troll.

Starting with Ubuntu myself, am using "The Linux Command Line" (Schotts) in order to learn how to work with the terminal

When I tried Linux for the first time I was in my teens and wanted to be an edgy hacker lord so used Kali, couldn't even install steam kek

How are you using Linux? Are you using a vmware or are you booting on a drive?

>pic
Where's Slackware?

IRC is bloat

yes, I came back 8 hours later to post this.

Wrong as all fuck

Some things are special files
Other things are dbus interfaces
A lot of things are dbus interfaces
Install 9front

>install steam on kali
>install kali to disk at all

teenagers are stupid
more exciting news at 11

Yep was stupid, however Kali is not. This might be sort of ironic but years later when I got into uni my computer science course had us doing penetration testing and I was faced with Kali again, I won this time.
Pic related: The teenage edgelord himself, I got so much pussy back then

>Where's Cuckware?

FRIENDLY
GNU/LINUX
THREAD

USE IT

Top kek