Sup Forums, is Arch a meme? Ive used a ton of *buntus and have been using Fedora 24 these past few months...

Sup Forums, is Arch a meme? Ive used a ton of *buntus and have been using Fedora 24 these past few months, but I wanted to know if I should install Arch, and if so should I go balls deep, use Antergos, or use an installer?

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It may be a meme, but I have used it as my primary OS for almost 5 years and I am quite satisfied with it.

what's your favorite anime

use antergos

arch without autismal installation and the just werks feature

all linux distros are memes
arch is fine and it just werks

Arch is as much of a meme as SICP is, doesn't stop either from being good.

Although the Arch meme is about it being shite and breaking all the time which has really no base in reality. Hell Gentoo is much more prone to breakage than Arch.

I don't watch anime, im not a fag.

This
If you wanted to install it yourself, you're just going to be following a guide and probably learning nothing from it. That's what I did. Antergos will probably be a fuckload easier and you won't be doing unnecessary work.

It may be a meme, but in the (rather brief) time I used it I quite enjoyed it and would definitely go back if some programs I need better supported *nix

Arch is one of the VERY few binary based distro that has *BSD like ports system called ABS.

AUR is actually awesome and thanks to ports, compiling things are as easy as ever.

10/10 distro I'd use if were using Linux.

t. FreeBSD, ex Arch user

*Antergos or Manjaro

> xDDD BSD
> thinking a hipster's opinions matter

I swear, BSD users are the vegans or vape users of Sup Forums.

Case in point, I had an Arch box sitting in my closet for a year and a half and decided to update/use it.

Despite the recent hook change described on the homepage, and despite using a 4xxx ATI card, I was able to get it up-to-date within a few hours. I had originally installed it from 2011 and have never had to reinstall the OS.

Now, if you go mucking around with shit that you know nothing about, as I have in the past, you may find yourself chrooting from a livedisk to fix shit. But by the same token that mucking around has been a learning experience.

I've always done the standard installation. It isn't that hard. Installing it on a new machine with UEFI was weird at first but it got done.

What makes you think your opinions matter, newfriend?

A U R
U
R

I've never used Linux but I'm tired of Windows. Is Arch right for me?

>>>/reddit/

>One of the, if not the best wiki
>Software rich Arch user repository
>Comfy package manager (i.e. find me a shorter alternative for #pacman -Syuu vlc)
Arch is the best, Ubuntu is my second favourite

Manjaro or antergos

No, it's a distro.
Pros:
Good documentation
Active community
Decent package manager
Good integration of source-based packages
Vanilla packages (better upstream support)
Rolling release (cutting edge, never have to reinstall)

Cons:
Small repository (no, the AUR doesn't count)
No officially supported installer (no, that's not a feature)
Vanilla packages (some default settings just suck universally and need to be patched)
Rolling release (several updates per day, and you should read the Arch news beforehand to avoid issues)

Try Ubuntu first, for like a day or so. Just play around with it in a virtual machine. If you can stand it try Arch (use Manjaro) on a separate storage medium (if possible, so you don't wipe out everything on your Windows installation)

The fact that I'm not a BSD user.

It is a badge that allows entry into the Soopur Seekrit Klubhaus.

why would you try outUbuntu before installing Manjaro?

I use it everyday on a old laptop. I have experienced one problem with xorg at the poweroff. Simply rollback, block specific updates and wait the new version next month.
Arch is the most serious Linux distribution I know.
You can install it with Antergos or Architect. sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/

Does Arch have no ways to control the cuttingness of the edge? Because it sounds like a rather obvious feature.

Discarded

I just thought it would be really easy to run in a VM. I don't remember is Manjaro supports a live CD. Does it?

I'm using arch linux right now and the level of ricing capablilites it has is incredible. It's not a meme, you really should give it a try.

It does

there's an LTS kernel, and you can reinstall old versions of packages. You actually have to manually clean out the package cache every now and then, it just keeps building up since they aren't automatically deleted since it's the only way to unbreak stuff. there's a command to clean it.

No, it doesn't.
Manjaro holds back Arch's packages for a week or 2 and does some automated tests before releasing them.

Anime is sick and perverted trash.

Be careful with that cutting edge

Strange. Was it too difficult to maintain several versions of programs in the repository and mark them as testing, stable etc?

Can I make a widows backup or something, so if I don't like linux I can revert?

they do do that. stable is the default, and it is pretty stable.

They do that.
They push the stable packages to the users.
There are testing and unstable repos that are even cutting-edgier.

if you have a spare drive. or you can just split up your hard drive and keep windows, since it is still sometimes necessary.

I'm just disgusted by how it's destroying western culture. It's turning men into fags, trap fags, and NEET. This degenerate filth would have been banned a long time ago.

>a few hours

Antergos

Apologies, then.
OP just use the Manjaro live CD

I prefer Antergos because it comes with pamac, which makes installing and upgrading AUR packages a lot easier.

It's also a peace of mind that worst case scenario you can always re-install in a matter of minutes.

what's hard about yaourt?

He's just too lazy/dumb to copy paste some stuff on the terminal

Try it for a while, if you don't like it you can always go back to wathever distro you like the most.
As for antergos, I wanted to give it a try , I really did, I've tried it 3 times, and the 3 times something on the indtallation went wrong, as a result the system booted fine, but worked like crap.

Cory in the House, obv

is this the new desktop thread

>after a year and a half with no updates
With almost every other distro, you'd be looking at a clean reinstall to get it up to date again. Except with Slackware, where you'd get a new version of Alpine and nothing else.

Does yaourt -Syua do what I want it to do, namely upgrading my entire system including AUR packages?

yes
also,
alias yolo='yaourt -Syua --noconfirm'

>Anime is sick and perverted trash.
>on an anime imageboard

>You have to like chink cartoons to post here

yes

I've been using it for just other a year and never had any problems with it, once you do the install you just need to update every now and again, the only think which sometimes breaks is steam and nvidia because you're bleeding edge and they're badly developed

There is no rule saying you have to like anime and post here.

anime website

That's just meme, degenerate tripfag.

Go back to your normie winbabbie imageboard.

Do I need an extension to filter this gigantic fucking flaming faggot or is there an option on the stock site I'm missing?

Just follow the beginners guide. You're gonna get fucked over later if you take the easy way out with an installer and don't know what you're doing later

>japanese website created for anime/weebshit
>meme

out.

still waiting for it to break

>>after a year and a half with no updates
>With almost every other distro, you'd be looking at a clean reinstall to get it up to date again.
Never had that happen to me

based on the content of your posts I can only say that you're a gigantic faggot and don't deserve an answer, user

Go hang yourself race traitors, your jew cartoons will mean the end of the white race.

Name one thing installing it by hand teaches you that'll help you later (You can't)

wooooooow pls don't hack me bro

>talking shit about honorary aryan cartoons
>doubting the Führer

kys traitor.

Honorable ayran just meant we gas you last and this filth would never fly with Hitler.

same, more or less.

but I want to try out fedora in order to have a more user-friendly and better out of the box experience. Anybody knows how it compares to arch?

You forgot to wipe your trip faggot.

nani

>implying anyone got gassed at all

nice meme americuck.

He would have gassed them all after the war.

>and you should read the Arch news beforehand to avoid issues)
Never did that, yet never had upgrade issues

I use arch to fuck your sisters tight ass

>the fatguy silhouette

I JUST CAN'T UNSEE IT ANYMORE

o

So what are the advantages of Arch over other distros? Less shit that slows down your system?

It's like a more casual Gentoo.

So what are the advantages of Gentoo over other distros? Less shit that slows down your system?

I use antergos and it's working better than any ubuntu based distro - no crashes or anything weird like on ubuntu. All packages that i used on ubuntu also exists on arch (plus more); and the packages are more up to date, also antergos comes with latest nvidia drivers unlike ubuntu distros.

Everything just werks.
Btw im using antergos with gnome.

You decide what you install, and don't have all the packages anyone with any hardware might ever need for every use case preinstalled.
Plus, you don't have to reinstall after 6 months like you do on Ubuntu cause the dist-upgrade never works right.

You get to piece together your system in a manageable way, just the way you want it.

That doesn't necessarily mean less shit that slows down your system, because you yourself can screw up or be too inclusive in what you want, or set something wrong.

The cost of all this is time. Gentoo much more than Arch, because with Gentoo you compile every package/program, and with Arch you download a readily compiled binary.

Using Gentoo or Arch won't make you a "Linux Pro" simply by use, but you'll get to know some of the basics since you're forced to. You'll have to jump into plenty of config files and watch text scroll by.

I'd pick them if you have an interest in Linux and have a lot of spare time on your hands.

There is nothing Arch does specifically that another distribution doesn't do better.

Except memes

See

I use kubuntu everywhere but my desktop. I only use arch (antergos) on my desktop because of aur packages, mainly the linux-vfio patched kernel for gpu passthrough.

Arch is quite easy to install. If you don't want to go through the learning process why are you running linux anyway?

>Unnecessary work
You're going to be partitioning either way. Either you spend 5 minutes getting a shitty GUI to do it for you or you do it on the commandline and spend the same amount of time doing it. If you don't know how to then you're still going to learn

notice how he said less autistic install, not easier install

Antergos doesn't have 32 bit versions? I checked their site and it's not available on their servers.

It was discontinued.

So any good alternatives for Arch in 32 bit systems? Or should I dive into Arch?
(Used Ubuntu before so fairly competent in Linux)

>Manjaro
kys

Use pacaur instead of yaort, it's better

8 years.
Only thing i dont like is that systemd was forced upon me.