The NSA hack proves Apple was right to fight the FBI

businessinsider.com/nsa-hack-apple-fbi-2016-8

>After the unprecedented breach of hacking tools and exploits stolen from the US National Security Agency's elite hacking unit, some privacy advocates see it as clear vindication of Apple in its fight with the FBI earlier this year.

>"The component of the government that is supposed to be absolutely best at keeping secrets didn't manage to keep this secret effectively," Nate Cardozo, a senior staff attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, told Business Insider.

>In February, a judge ordered Apple to help the FBI unlock an iPhone that was used by Syed Rizwan Farook, one of two attackers who killed 14 people in a December terrorist attack in San Bernardino, California. That order set off a vigorous debate between law-enforcement officials seeking evidence and technologists worried over broader implications for personal privacy.

>While the company's legal team fought the order, Apple CEO Tim Cook published a letter arguing against being forced to build a so-called backdoor that would subvert the encryption that not only kept the shooter's phone secure, but also the smartphones of millions of other Apple users.

TL;DR

>Apple: If we're forced to build a tool to hack iPhones, someone will steal it.
>FBI: Nonsense.
>Russia: We just published NSA's hacking tools

Reminder that there were a sizeable amount of "people" (alt-right) on here that were damning Apple for not handing the keys to iPhones to the FBI.

Tim Cook vindicated.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2016/08/is-apples-cloud-key-vault-crypto.html
qz.com/332059/apple-is-reportedly-giving-the-chinese-government-access-to-its-devices-for-a-security-assessment/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

APOLOGIZE

Would Google or Microsoft have done the same?

>Gee i thought exploiting your userbase was a good thing
>sarcasm

>apple fights the fbi
>still gives them the identity of the kat admin
???

They didn't do that though

blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2016/08/is-apples-cloud-key-vault-crypto.html

"A key assertion I've heard is that if Apple can do this, then surely they can do something similar to escrow your keys for law enforcement. But looking at the system shows isn't true at all."

>protects terrorists that murdered 50 americans

>gives up torrent tracker admin in a heartbeat

What did Apple mean by this?

This has got to be the most pathetic thing I've seen in years.

>we protect everyone's privacy
>especially terrorists

>but not pirates
>especially when they're bad for our iTunes profits

wtf i hate apple now!

>things that never happened, the post

They gave server IP logs. Making the link to the KAT Admin was the FBI's job.

Regardless, we should remember that all big tech companies are under PRISM and will give data to the Enn Ess Ayy when they're asked, but I can't see any other company fighting the FBI in this situation.

#ThankYouTim

Wtf I hate Apple now

>iTerrorists will defend this

Wtf I hate apple now?

wtf i hate apple now!

I prefer bananas X)

What the hell? I really dislike Apple now.

wtf I hate apple now?

Well, that's my mind made up. Fuck Android.

My next phone will be an iPhone. You only get security from the top; with Tim in charge, that means my phone, tablet, computer and cloud storage are more secure than the competition.

I love Apple now.

/thread

Apple has never given a single shit about privacy except as a marketing tool. Only a deluded fantard would even think otherwise.

The thing you have to remember about alt-rightists and even just good old fashioned righties is they have repeatedly been the first in line to bend over for Americans 4th amendment rights to be violated in the new Millennium.

Digital privacy is arguably not covered in the Constitution either.

And just because Cook didn't want to hand over the keys to the kingdom, doesn't mean they won't curate and unlock the doors if asked by a judicial system authority.

egad I'm currently displeased with the apple corporation!

Fuck off Tim, nobody cares about your publicity stunt.

Based fucking Granny Smith

wtf I hate you now

wtf i hate apple now!

>attacking the alt right over this
>leftist administration actually put the order out

You're true scum

They have done basically the exact opposite in the past. If such a scenario were even hinted at, those two would offer their help before the public could even know about it.

Well, that's my mind made up. I fucking hate Apple and their poo in loo shills now.

>implying the left in the house gave out the order

Remember when blackberry were the ones fighting for better uszer privacy and even created their own encrypted metworks? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Remember when they gave up their encryption keys to fanatical fascist governments to sell phones there?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Apple supported it in part to have access to competitors' data. It was one of the benefits of CISA passing, for companies anyway.

The decision has been made for us

If you want a high quality premium product from a company that cares about your privacy, you choose Apple.

If you want run of the mill mediocre products from companies that do not give two fucks about your privacy, you choose another vendor.

>Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Are you from New England?

>Remember when they gave up their encryption keys to fanatical fascist governments to sell phones there?

Yeah people seem to conveniently forget that

if apple got hold of the kat admin's identity then that's a fuckup of the kat admin
>do massively illegal shit
>tons of LE is after ME
if you fuck up and leak your identity you're gonna get caught, simple as that.

He's from the 80s, or he watches Family Guy.

MS and Google have actually been fighting these battles for years against the FBI, only Apple has been fucking jew enough to try and pull a publicity stunt with it.

Well this is just completely false

Me too.

Remember when Apple gave up their encryption keys to the chinese government to sell phones there?

Yeah people seem to conveniently forget that too.

What's up with all the fruit hate in this thread?

No, you're going to need to remind us

>if you fuck up and leak your identity you're gonna get caught, simple as that.
Yeah, Appleshit are the worst for your privacy.
You will need a credit card, full name and full address before you can use an iShit device. iCloud is on by default as well.

>t. mactoddler

They haven't been fighting shit.

They put up token resistance and then cave.

The two companies who are in every single computing device made since the 90s couldn't spread word to their users and lobby officials to get them to stop?

Remember when Apple gave up their encryption keys to the chinese government to sell phones there?

Yeah people seem to conveniently forget that too.

qz.com/332059/apple-is-reportedly-giving-the-chinese-government-access-to-its-devices-for-a-security-assessment/

If you weren't living under a rock, you would know that this was all over the news.

Even if the Chinese government has the source to iOS, it doesn't mean it can break encryption on phones.

wtf i hate apple now!

Fuck, that really sucks shit. Welp, time to get a Xiaomi then.

Security-assessment doesn't mean giving encryption keys you fucking spastic.

based xiaomi indeed

It just means they have exploits to get the data they want. Which means compromised security.

if you use a smartphone for highly illegal stuff like that you already put 1 foot in jail

Not sure if serious...

Redmi Note 3 Pro here, fucking ace phone for the price.

That is such alarmist bull shit in that article. If it was anything like Microsoft's audit with Windows source code to the EU, the auditors have to consult the code on dedicated workstations and they are forbidden to bring in laptops or mobile phones. Sessions are limited and workstations are physically monitored. It's not as if the Chinks can grab the code and then compile their own version. kek

>carrying about privacy
>not buying apple

Its sad that you have to pay a premium for these things nowadays but that is how capitalism work.

If you dont want to have a crippled device and and you want to keep your privacy Apple the only way to go.

They want encrypted data?

wtf i'm unhappy with apple now

The FBI still cracked the iPhone on their own though

Remember when Google gave up their encryption keys to the U.S government free?

Is this a hot new meme?

big if true

Remember when Google gave up their encryption keys to the U.S government for free?

>Reminder that there were a sizeable amount of "people" (alt-right)
Fuck off you shilling, divide-and-conquer-lookin-ass nigger

Any time you read about major Hacking attempts in China, assume it's PLA Unit 61398 until verified otherwise.

So the data is sent unencrypted because of the security exploits they could develop.

They can't use the code dumbasses >56203507

Apple is really doing a good job turning privacy in one of their big selling points. Specially considering google is the main competition.

Depends, are you Seth MacFarlane?

Found one

Remember when Apple refused to help the FBI hack a shooter's iPhone but helped hack all of a torrent site operator's data for free within the same year?

I though this board was for tech literate people

I think both of these might be slightly inaccurate

remember when i hate apple now?

Inaccurate? But its apple we are talking about here. Everything they do is bad. Why cant you understand this? Even my fabricated facts are right because apple is bad. Only faggots use apple, you see?

Anybody know the name of that store in the mall with the small sausage rolls and expensive cheeses? It's on the tip of my tongue...

gtfo richard

Hillshire farm m8

Remember when Sup Forums was Sup Forumsood

breaking the iPhone's security != providing client IP addresses from your server logs

The KAT guy just sucked as opsec.

Remember when SUPER FUCKING MARIO!!!!!!!1

He really had no business buying a song from itunes in the first place.