/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EhwOZyfjon0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(software)
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2691
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1615
github.com/graysky2/profile-sync-daemon/issues/103
dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/openrc/projects/openrc/ticket/132.html
dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/openrc/projects/openrc/ticket/200.html
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=739703
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=736384
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>faenza icons will never get an update

>implying

Those windows icons looks just as shit, you are just used to it

There really isn't.
What can Gentoo do that Ubuntu can't and vice versa? And I mean can't. Not what'the default is.
You can literally install every package that Ubuntu by default has on a Gentoo machine and vice versa.

Gentoo has ports
*buntu has PPAs

automatically resolve dependencies of source code packages?

laughingGirls.png

Are you serious?

That image is satirical if you haven't noticed. It evolved from this one after some hurt Windows fan edited it.

And what makes you think that you can't use PPAs on a Gentoo machine?
If you install the necessary packages (and hey, you can run apt on it), then one can also install packages through PPAs on Gentoo.
And even if you have to compile the necessary pacakges yourself to be able to do that. You are still able to. Same goes for ubuntu.

That's not something Gentoo itself does. It's something that portage does.
Running portage on a Ubuntu machine would do the same.
Again, I'm not talking about what the default is but really what is IMPOSSIBLE to do on Gentoo and what's possible on Ubuntu and vice versa.

I legitimately am.

>Running portage on a Ubuntu machine
So your argument is that you can build a frankenstein monster out of Ubuntu minimal that roughly approximates a Gentoo system and therefor Gentoo is equivalent?

Alrighty then.

>Running portage on a Ubuntu machine
What defines a "Ubuntu machine" if you start using some other distro's package manager and sources?

>one can also install packages through PPAs on Gentoo.
Don't think so, most PPAs on launchpad detect the version of Ubuntu you are using. Thus apt only installs compatible builds (Xenial builds, Trusty builds etc). Just because you can run apt, it doesn't mean PPAs would work indefinitely

I got a security question.
If I make a linux bootable USB flash drive, and I work and browse on that. Will there be any traces left on my main harddrive?

No, unless you actively mount that hard drive and write to it.

Used a live ISO of Ubuntu Mate for a few days to get a feel for Linux. I feel disappointed.
I always see you guys posting these comfy looking setups that have me feeling jelly and shit. So I decided to convert my old laptop to a Linux comfy station.

Navigating Mate was no problem. Learned the ins-and-outs in about an hour or two. Was surprised that Linux could make full use of all my laptop's function keys and shit. I only had problems with the WiFi not being detected and had to use Ethernet. But I didn't care, because it had my shitty Vista oven laptop running cool and super fast.

The disappointment came from the customization. Panels, even with the tweak tool, have no real customization. I felt like I was doing something wrong. I know most of the customizing comes from the themes, but I've seen tons of vids and post about how much customization Linux has from a vanilla install.

Did I pick a poor distro to be a ricefag with? What distro would you recommend as a ricefags dream.

Also, the icons and panel look way better and cleaner on the welcome installer screen than in the actual live ISO. What's up with that?

youtube.com/watch?v=EhwOZyfjon0

redpill me on systemd

>redpill
>>>>>>>

redpill is a reference to the movie matrix and thus has no direct relations to Sup Forums.
please do not shitpost

>snowflake is triggered by a movie reference
Go back to your leddit safespace.

You picked the wrong Desktop Environment to rice.
Mate was created to preserve the look and feel of early 00's Gnome. Customization doesn't matter to its users, they simply want what they're used to.

No need to reinstall the whole OS, just install a different DE.

>I don't like [new thing] cause it's new and doesn't work the same way as [old thing] which I liked cause I was used to it.

that's mostly the fault of MATE, as other user said, it's not so customizable and I was pretty disappointed in that as well.
No need for another distro, just find another DE, install it like any other software and look up how to replace the default DE. Some display managers let you choose which DE you want to run when you're at the login screen

>dead thread

List of /fglt/ approved distributions(WIP):
>Void Linux
>Exherbo
>Funtoo
>Devuan
>Bedrock Linux
>Source Mage GNU/Linux
>Slackware

If you need systemd:
>Debian
>Gentoo

If you want something out of the box:
>Ubuntu
>Manjaro
>Linux Lite

If you want to be an edgelord while simultaneously being the laughing stock of the Linux community:
>Arch

If you want to be a living meme and a lab rat:
>Fedora

>memes, myths and misconceptions: the post

Your idiocy made me cringe so hard, now I have wrinkles all over my face.

GET
THE
FUCK
OUT,
FUCKING
MEMEPOSTER

ok

no

>>dead thread
>recommends dead pieces of shit hipster distros
Kill yourself, stupid NEET

>it's da hacker again

> pieces of shit hipster distros
not an argument

>he thinks his cringe post deserves argument

>cringe post
not an argument

What are you arguing on?
>Mom look I found some half assed obscured shit distros that I don't or won't ever use, but this is what I think /fglt/ approves
Go back to .

> half assed obscured shit distros
nice opinion
>that I don't or won't ever use
nice presumption without any proof

>go back to Sup Forums
still not an argument

shitty tier. openSUSE has by default SUSEfirewall2 enabled. Can't go wrong with that

1. Are you seriously implying void, sourcemage, funtoo are not obscure? Are you seriously implying Epson/AMD/NVdia/HP/broadcom gives a HINT.OF.SHIT about your garbage distors? What distro are you using? Are you using it as your primary OS or just you toy laptop?

No one uses most of those garbage you posted.

2. What makes you think your recommendations are "/flt/ approved"?

3. What makes Manjaro ANY different than Arch?

4. What makes you think Fedora is a living meme?

5. What makes you think only the 3 distros you put "works out of the box"? Define "work out of the box"

6. How many years have you been using Linux for?

Don't bother, the newfag only knows about Linux from Sup Forums memes. I think he never even heard of Linux before coming here

I'll think about continuing this discussion once you calm down. Don't want you to get a stroke

still nothing but presumptions

>I'll think about continuing this discussion once you calm down. Don't want you to get a stroke
So you are out of argument when you are presented with one. If you can't act like an adult get the take your blog and fuck off back to your natural habitat Sup Forums where underage fuckwits thrive, walking lump of shit.

Why would it matter if Epson/AMD/NVidia/HP/Broadcom give a shit about my distro?
Drivers are written by Linux kernel developers. It's the distro maintainer's job to make them available.

>Drivers are written by Linux kernel developers
Free ones, fucking retard

Yes, and? Proprietary drivers are written for the Linux Kernel also. The companies don't write a seperate driver for every single distro.
The distro maintainer needs to make sure you have access to the proprietary drivers that exist.

Will Epson printer manager work with your piece of shit distro?

you even fail and refuse to realise that this is /fglt/ (friendly GNU/Linux thread) and not /flt/, so why should I bother ?
Not to mention most of your arguments always end up being: "THIS HERE COMPANY DOESN'T USE THIS DISTRO, OBVIOUSLY IT SHOULDN'T EVEN EXIST" or "HOW IS THIS HIPSTER OS ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE OS I USE, WHY USE IT IF IT'S BASICALLY ALMOST THE SAME".

1st - I don't give a shit if NASA uses OSX or elementary linux, it affects me in no way. If you are worried about drivers then you also fail to realise most of proprietary ones are written for debian and ubuntu

2nd - why does it matter? If this is your argument then why don't you use Debian or Red Hat since the large majority of all other distros are just derivates of it?

Can you rate my first selfmade theme? Based on Arc.

Cups handles printing in Linux.
And OSX.
And it handles Epson printers just fine.

ahmed, pls

if you want a macintosh, buy a fucking macintosh

Like the minimalism.

Window manager buttons need to be grey, blue and white.

7/10

>lol I don't care and so shouldn't you :-DDD
>lol it affects me in no way, who needs printers XDDDD #NEETPRIDE
Why do you think hipster NEETs such as youself represents all /flt/?

>/fglt/, not /flt/
God, are you even from last year?

>If you are worried about drivers then you also fail to realise most of proprietary ones are written for debian and ubuntu
And?
Also, Fedora has drivers as well

Give me ONE reason to use ANY of your garbage primary recommendation over a real distro such as Ubuntu.

No, actually give me ONE reason to use ANY of your garbage primary recommendation over a real distro such as Arch or Fedora.

CUPS doesn't scan anything

well if you want only one, not being a systemd cuck without having to butcher your OS sounds pretty good

Here we go.

I like how vegan pieces of shit end up parroting the spiciest anti-systemd meme every fucking time they get cornered.

So here's my challenge, as always,
Give me 1 (ONE) practical reason why I should remove systemd from all my machines, if that's so bad

You can start by giving me examples such as "you can do X in openrc/sysvinit/anything but with systemd you can't"

woah guys lets keep it friendly, but shouldn't it be more of an alarm that there are proprietary drivers on linux at all, yet alone are (as debated) tuned to a specific distro? kinda defeats the whole purpose, not that i don't get companies will do their shit but its sad when linux turns into M$ acolytes.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(software)

Recommend me a distro!
I've used mint, almost every *ubuntu, antergos and arch.
Arch was the most fun by far, so maybe debian?

>red green orange circle window buttons

I can't count the amount of times an acceptably looking theme was ruined by that shit.

>pure white
I'd rather not have my eyes bleed.

Can someone explain systemd to me simply?

It's a program that starts my other programs automatically, right?
Why are people calling it bloated?

Err, stick with Arch?

it's a set of system management tools, in addition to being an init

don't worry about it, people call GNU bloated as well (GNU is also a bunch of basic tools)

But I wanted to try something new, to familiarize myself with moar distros. It's on a spare netbook that I use rarely anyway, so there's practically no commitment.
I'll just install devuan.

how would my life be different without systemd?

It does what initd did, which was starting programs.
However, it does a lot of other stuff too, to the point that even user level software (like Unity) now depends on it.
This goes against the Unix philosophy of one small tool doing one job well, so purists are butthurt.

slackware

How will installing another Deb flavor teach you anything? If distro-hopping is your thing, at least go for uniquely different ones:

Debian
Arch
Gentoo
Slackware
OpenSUSE
Fedora
Sourcemage

Ignore all the derivatives, they do the same stuff basically.

>Arch was the most fun by far,
Do you like AUR?
Use Gentoo then

Arch people like Gentoo, Fedora or BSD, they never bring themselves to like Debian

>2.88 megabyte .png
>on metered connection
> /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ?????????

You can shutdown/halt an OS without systemd without having to wait for it to do it's '''''jobs''''' which never fucking end properly which makes it kill it after 2 minutes of waiting anyways

#systemctl reboot -f
So hard right, also
Cntl Alt Del
Sooo hard

>metered connection
Tell me your story

I like Arch and Debian.
Arch does well what Debian sucks at and vice versa.
Although Debian sucks at more things than Arch.

what distros let me install 32 and 64 bit versions of packages alongside each other?

>a stop job is running...
literally can't even shutdown properly, nice fucking meme

Void Linux

>wanted to try something new
> familiarize myself with moar distros
> on a spare netbook

Sounds like you're ready for Kali, and actually use your netbook more regularly for pen-testing and hardening your own environment. For amusement, slum around for wifi connections and see what you can get into and use. I've got about 20 locations along my regular haunts where I can just park my car and leech off a McDonalds or Starbucks.

No ... it isn't much of a trick to access their networks. The trick is how you can use that access while remaining under the radar.

I call it 'distributed surfing.' My activities from home are very, very plain vanilla. Different places I use for different activities where I don't risk my ISP taking notice and getting pissy.

Are you seriously implying other inits don't kill jobs before rebooting?

Renting old house for six months. AU$X00's to get fibre or phone line.... Nope.jpg

Shit linux

>faster, stable Arch
>shit

epin

Seconding this.
Pretty much all of them have multiarch support. In debian it's as simple as
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

>""faster""
hahahahahahahaha are you going to post some FPS comparison like those dumb Sup Forums children now?

you're fucking retarded

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2691

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1615

No faggot you are fucking retarded. Do NOT imply there are no bugs in your init. Do NOT imply it takes everyone 90 seconds to reboot

/sqt/ is going through a management crisis so I'm here now

I got an old android phone with root access but no play store
I want to use this phone to block ads on my home network
Help me?

On you router, block ad domains

Okay, how?

Googling it brought me to life hacker and their article says I need special firmware? I'd rather use the phone desu senpai

at least the others shutdown properly and cleanly, I haven't noticed any other bugs. After all, according to you, if it werks for me that's all that matters ,right? ;^)

in fedora I get conflicts when I install both

>at least the others shutdown properly and cleanly,
LMAO NO
github.com/graysky2/profile-sync-daemon/issues/103
dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/openrc/projects/openrc/ticket/132.html
dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/openrc/projects/openrc/ticket/200.html
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=739703
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=736384

Do you people derive some sort of sick pleasure from using obscure OSs.

How did you install them?

werks for me lmao

>Do you people derive some sort of sick pleasure from using obscure OSs.
why the fuck does it matter? compile shit yourself, it's not hard.
that is, unless you use shit software that doesn't work without systemd

>gnu/linux
>most used operating system in the world
>obscure

>replying to bait

GNOME, Wayland, Pulseaudio, Networkmanager are moving to systemd

I was talking about this , not Linux in general.

It's just one newfag that installed Linux this year. No one takes him seriously

See

It proves that a single person on Sup Forums pretends to derive some sort of sick pleasure from using obscure OSs.