If you were designing an OS/ Desktop environment, what would it be like?

If you were designing an OS/ Desktop environment, what would it be like?
Pic related

Cinnamon with KDE-like file picker

Like this

>2011 was 5 years ago

Instead of wasting my time, ill just use MATE.

Pretty much the same. Windows 7 does have the best desktop environment.

I'd have the interface be miniature and by default have the taskbar to the right. The desktop would display various information, whatever you want, like time, temperature, performance, etc., all at the same time.

pic somewhat related.

Aqua with some NeXTSTEP features.

Basically a cross between Unity and Gnome that includes an improved version of KDE Connect. It would be nice to have a dark mode on the Android app.

You are really nice letting the user have a wallpaper and an active visible input line.

Personally I would make it with lower resource demands and dramatically improve battery life by just having the display turned off. As that stuff on the screen is just pretty distractions from serious computer work anyway.

Exactly that, Win7. Is as good as it can get.

Cinnamon Qt

i really hate aero, dont underwtand people who dont use the classic theme. fucking transparent everything, especially that alpha effect upon alttabbing

looks like shit, if you want my opinion. but if you like it, it's fine, i guess..

I was just memeing, I think if they removed some gradients and stuff win7 did have best UI but Microsoft cannot keep shit consistent

Thanks for your constructive input on the matter.

But I think that I will go with the Gnome filosofi and tell you that is aginst the design goals of this project. But if I do implement it I might just break the API for the turned off display just to fuck with people.

How can you like windows 7's DE? Its GUI is trash on so many levels.

i don't like flat, transparent ui looks great imo.

It'd be Windows 8.1 w/ Classic Shell

Yeah I like that but for things like if you hover over an icon on the left I think it looks kinda cheap. Also I think the active graphics for task bar icons are overdone too

Some kind of Tor OS that was based around web hosting and managing proxies. Would come with built in tools, proxies, etc to do seedy ass dark net shit. Itd also come with a hidden back door and keylogger so that once there was enough users I can just give the Fbi access to the back door and all that keylogged shiet, putting a bunch of pedos away lol

>Russian keyboard
>Metro
>S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Slav confirmed.

because "yuliya" didn't give it away right?

You forgot AIMP. tsk tsk

Christ, use a fucking "."

I kind of like the win10 UI but I hate how there are so many different looking context menus for no reason

You could say I designed this desktop,but its pretty much what a common Openbox+Tint2 Desktop looks like

Why would the search box open when you press the Windows key? Hit Win+S for the dedicated search box.

What I meant is that it could be hidden away, why do I need to see it 24/7?

It also looks like shit.

>text at location bar is not aligned with the search bar

LEE NOOOKS

Just use a printer for output and punch cards for input.

You can hide it. I have both the search and the multi desktop thing hidden. Or you can turn the search into a button instead of a huge bar

> Pic related
Yes.

Yeah I have it hidden as well, just saying. I also am annoyed at the anti-ailised X but the rest aren't

No, most OB+T2 workspaces also have LXappearance installed so they can pick something other than the GNU clone of the MS widget toolkit.

Someone reverse engineer Red Star OS so we can have the desktop environment from best korea.

This looks nice. What is this?

I mean, this.

This is just Finder.

I mean, the column file manager view automatically makes it better than any else FM

Gnome 3 with a nice wallpaper.

a candidate DE that I'm working on for a project. It's hardly functional.

I don't believe you that this is gnome three...

Post more of the UI.

The idea is to install the DE on any machine, can you do that?

non-functional

Burger desktop refined

Looks pretty cool. What's the goal here?

Something stupidly simple a macfag could use it

Windows 7 like but opensource.
KDE5 with some themes comes pretty close.

Can you link the project somewhere? I'd like to follow it.

>Search bar should open when you press Start
It does, you fucking retard. Just start typing.

Did Krunner crash ?

downloaded it, turns out it uses rpm and should have this as package

I tried it. I hate the spacing and thet they're huge. Fuck it takes half the screen for that menu. Most irritating are the two control panels, you're being moved from one to another every now and then.

What?

I like it. Easier to see which is open. Better than that line on 10.

monitoring for results

I don't need to. I already have Arch and i3.

No, just had menu open to show what it looks like.

I was referring to that "something crashed" icon in your system tray on the right.

windows 7 UI desgin, updated slightly to fit modern use cases and applied consistently throughout the OS, running ontop of a *nix system with the same overall level of polish as windows. id also take the odd hint from KDE with the stuff it does better.

the look of windows 8/8.1
but with the start menu of the last windows 10 build
aero = cancer
transparency = cancer

I would put a terminal in the background instead of a wallpaper.
It would make it possible for you to improve your workflow a bit by constantly having a terminal open.
Also flat/material design.
I don't know why, but I dig it.

>guys look how hip and cyber i am

osx but with the ability to customize everything like kde

>useless area, I have no ads
You can, by a simple drag and drop, reduce it's size to match the number of tile you have in your start menu.

>two control panels
They really should've made a separate touch screen edition of Windows instead of the current hybrid disaster. By attempting to please everyone with a half touch-based UI & half traditional desktop UI, they've made a shitty mess that worsens the experience for both camps.

Not to mention the more blatant telemetry/privacy issues, being forced to use Defender "we'll turn this back on after awhile" (and similar settings), stupid built-in bloat services like Cortana, and a general lack of new features.

Good things about Windows 8/10: Bash4Windows, some very minor conveniences (right click the start menu for utilities, command-line copy/paste, resizing split windows inbetween), sharp window corners, and the flat design (I like it, fuck off).

Windows 8/10 has no worthy functionality over Windows 7, it only adds more restrictions and a new inconsistent UI.

>Good things about Windows 8/10: Bash4Windows, some very minor conveniences (right click the start menu for utilities, command-line copy/paste, resizing split windows inbetween), sharp window corners, and the flat design (I like it, fuck off).
Add to this Hyper-V, performance improvements, better compatibility with modern hardware, and better resource management.

>Windows 8/10 has no worthy functionality over Windows 7
This is a lie. But most of the good parts come from Windows 8.1, with 10 having fairly little over that. Additionally, 8.1 doesn't have any more restrictions than 7 does.

What does opensource have to do with desktop design...

Just that freetards can't into design.

What good parts are you talking about?

For one I'd have title bars on the right or left side of the windows instead of on top to save vertical space.
File and folder names would be non-case sensitive and the system would have an option to display them all based on a standard. This way "picture of something.png" would automatically be displayed as "Picture of Something.png" or "PICTURE OF SOMETHING.PNG" depending on the configuration.
Every piece of software would be installed and configured using files inside the installation folder, not anywhere else (There would obviously be exceptions, though). This would be a good way to prevent a program from creating cryptic files all over the system.

honestly just give me classic theme with a black background and we have a deal familio

does setting an image to Stretch still slow desktop responsiveness?

like this

3d, usable ONLY with a headset... voice-recog driven.

No

If I was designing an OS system interface, I'd do at least the following:

> no asynch signal catching and especially reentrant signals. this is a dogshit API that's virtually impossible to use both safely and meaningfully
> find something more elegant for gracefully and safely making blocking calls inside a demux event loop, as a replacement for EINTR and so any higher-priority message can preempt the wait
> make systems calls inherently async, with trivial syntactic sugar for immediate sync waiting
> files/handles can be either byte streams or record streams
> sanitized and non-redundant system calls. e.g., only one demux and not select/poll/epoll_wait/pselect/ppoll/...
> security model based on compartmentalized access rights, and tracking which processes have been exposed to data from different sources, which gets checked before new IPC channels are allowed to open. binaries need their privileges pre-signed, and exceptional actions need signed user approval

probably a bunch of other half-baked shit too, but there's not a major OS API that's not a complete clusterfuck by this point in time.