Overheating/thermal limit r9 290

My r9 290 seems to be reaching its thermal limit (94c) very easily now, and thus throttling performance which hits FPS horribly.

I cleaned it from dust and all, which seemed to help just a tiny bit, but it still happens.

I don't remember it being like this, used to top at like 85c.

What could it be? Summer?

Other urls found in this thread:

mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-XFX-Radeon-R9-FURY-X-Hybrid-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1007341.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also fans are literally 100%. It's not really loud or anything with this model but still, I got nowhere left to go.

Get a GPU that doesn't max out at 275 watts of housefire power.

It used to not be like this

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES
AYYMD HOUSEFIRES EVERYWHERE

Game on lower settings, console peasant level.

Get a new hobby, a suggestion is reading fantasy and science fiction.

leave case open

change the thermal paste
/thread

/thread

Use a manual fan profile in MSI afterburner. See mine.

Okay OP here

It's literally the fucking game I was playing, Overwatch

I just tried playing Battlefront, which looks 1000 times better, and it never even reached 80c

Set gpu fan to 200%

Take the cooler off, give it a good cleaning, remove the old thermal paste, apply new thermal paste, and put it back together.

Are you playing with vsync off and trying to max out your FPS? Try turning on vsync and limiting the FPS to 60 (or even 30) to see if it helps. But suggesting to keep it at 30 permanently, just to test.

Can you undervolt that model?

Summer definitely doesn't help as ambient temperature is ultimately your baseline cooling, but I assume you've played in summer before without issue.

You can also go all the way and take your case side panel off and get a desk fan blowing directly on it. (lol)

>XFX
You dun goofed, should've gone with sapphire. I recall the XFX 290 being as bad if not worse than the reference card.

overwatch really seems to stress the gpu. I reached 71c while playing crysis 3 but it's at 78c with much higher fan speeds when playing overwatch (390x nitro)
you can try to limit your fps to something like 150 on all low settings so you're not hitting 100% load.
seems like your card hasn't changed, OW is just a bitch.

Open up the card carefully - and I mean actually undo the screws properly. Take the cooler off and clean it from the inside out. Also, use some isopropyl alcohol (minimum 90%) and clean off the old thermal paste. Apply new paste LOVINGLY. (GPU's need FULL coverage, unlike CPU's. Do a full X shape.)

Should fix it right up for you.
100% no troll with this. Promise.

And yet wasn't the XFX pretty well received for the Fury series?

you should've seen the xfx cooler on the fury. basically the same huge ass shit as the sapphire version. tons of heatpipes etc.

I don't remember, honestly. I got a Fury X and eventually ended up ripping off the AIO cooler and replacing it with my own custom loop.

Yes, Overwatch torches GPUs. It's due to the high framerates you can achieve. Try using the frame limiter.

Replace the thermal paste.

Delid it, remove the thermal paste there too.

>delid
Absolutely do not do this.

>Delid it
memes

A GPU can't be delidded.
Otherwise correct.

I have an XFX Fury and its cooler is huge. It's even bigger than the cooler of the Sapphire R9 390.

It keeps the card nice and cool. It's just a shame that I can't unlock the shaders or even OC the card much. It also has very annoying coil whine.

Damn, you got one you can't unlock? That's why I'm really, really hesitant to buy a Fury to make my system MGPU.
Fury X prices are still quite high, but Fury prices are like half of Fury X now. (well, a little over it, but not far off.)
Its annoying because if I could be assured it'd be able to unlock to full Fury X tier, I'd totally get one, but I have my doubts.

Replace thermal paste properly, get something like arctic silver 5 or gelid
Look up a tutorial on how to do it, also cover the whole gpu die, its not like with the cpu

Yeah, mine has a hardware lock. The shaders seem to be okay, but there's no way to unlock them.

I got it for only 270€, so I'm still happy. Gonna try and sell my old 390 for 200€ on ebay.

Have you tried flashing the BIOS? Or is that specifically what you mean with a hardware lock?

The XFX Fury X is only 400€ new. Cheapest Fury X you can get.

>mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-XFX-Radeon-R9-FURY-X-Hybrid-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1007341.html

Damn. I wonder if they'll ship to the UK.
Over here, the cheapest according to PcPartPicker is £493.20 (XFX)
Sadly, I can't read German.

Yes, that's what I mean. Flashing a 4096 shader BIOS does nothing. Tried it with both BIOSes.

From what I read on forums, the Asus and the first Sapphire Fury model should mostly be unlockable. The new Sapphire model and the newer XFX cards can't be unlocked anymore.

Shame to hear. I mean, the performance difference isn't huge, but 5 or so fps can sometimes be that little bit that tips it over from under 60 to over 60.

WTF OP

That is fucking high. I just built a system with a FX8350 paired to Power Color r9 380x 4gig 1002 gpu clock.

The 8350 uses a Cooler Master Evo 212. With the side panel off...

Ambient room temps 74
Overwatch settings maxed
Tv 46"1080p
Windowed mode refresh locked to desktop

60-70 fps, ZERO STUTTER regardless of on screen action

64-66°c never going above 67°.

Id say take the card out and carefull remove the cooler, clean old thermal paste off, reapply quality thermal paste. Put back in. Play with settings, report results.

OP, have you considered that your case might be shit?

My 390 used to go slightly over 80ºC while playing Witcher 3 (1080p, all maxed except HairWorks). When I got a new, bigger case, with 2 front intake fans, a rear output fan and an additional output fan on top, my temperatures dropped around 10ºC in pretty much everything, runs Witcher 3 same settings under 75ºC at all the time. Old case had only a single output fan on the rear and was much smaller.

>NMS

kek

Lol yeah, i dont even own it but the screen caps from this game are amazing.

1. Go into Radeon Crimson Settings
2. Click on Gaming
3. Click on Overwatch
4. Enable Frame Rate Target Control
5. Set it to your monitor's Hz.
6. ??????
7. Profit!