Freedom from systemd

What's a good bleeding-edge distro without systemd, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-Mount
systemd-free.org/install.php
distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=systemd&pkgver=&distrorange=NotInLatest#pkgsearch
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's so bad about Systemd, and why should I care?

Void Linux, tough only 7k+ packages in their repo.
It's very similar to Arch Linux.

Nothing, it's actually pretty good.
Don't.

Sup Lennart.

>keeps bloating up.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Systemd-Mount

Enjoy your systemd/linux

Why is it "bloating up" bad?

One daemon to rule them all.

What's wrong with that.

If you have to ask, then you deserve all the bad things that will happen to you for using systemd.

>why is reinventing the wheel bad?

I've been using it for a while now, on Debian, Ubuntu and Arch. I don't even know exactly what it does, and haven't noticed any difference to Linux with SysV Init.

So why should I care?

That is a good question. Many Void users on Sup Forums recommend that. Using Devuan myself and shiton of packages.

Monitoring this thread.

The don't care about it and avoid engaging discussion about it, if you - as you say - "don't care"

>all these tech-illiterates using Linux

Fuck, Linux has become mainstream. Time to switch to BSD!

Last time I checked, cars don't drive around on solid wheels with iron bands around them and an axle that has wood grinding on wood lubricated by axle grease.

So reinventing the wheel can be quite nice.

Except those are systemd shills paid by Red Hat. Ignore, report and hide.

Except if it adds an exoskelet you wonder why, when the car provides a solid base already.

Escape the vendor lock-in of systemd, Red Hat doesn't own all distros.

Remember they have trolls on every forum to shitpost when anyone mentions alternative distros.

PCLinuxOS is the only choice, OP.

I didn't say I don't care. I'm asking why I should.
But if the answer is "because it doesn't work the same way as its predecessor that's been around for 20 years did", then I guess I don't.

Wait, I can get paid for this?

Get back to work, Lennart, you have tons of bugs to fix.

See It adds features that are already there and etablished. It's a parasyte digging deeper and deeper to the Linux system.

Explain how Red Hat would even profit from Ubuntu users being locked into Systemd.

Then explain how independent developers of Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, Suse, and several fucktons of other distros would be forced to use systemd if it was as shitty as you claim.

If you are really asking why to care about systemd, the vendor lock-in should be enough reason.

There you have it. Now shitposters, leave this thread.

When you invent a better wheel, not when you invent a worse wheel that's also a radiator, a gas tank and an electronic lock.

I get that.
But what makes everyone on the developer side, including Linus embrace it, if it doesn't provide any benefit?

Leave.

Uh, vendor lock-in isn't really a thing if it doesn't make you money.

Make me, fagit

Funtoo.

Devs actually hate it, for being complicated through it's speghetti nature.
I am no dev tough, you might check out google for an adequate, educated answer.

Like Internet Explorer, right? Oh wait...

You are implying they don't make to decide what software to deprecate or which packages get maintained, and its worst in the long run.

Leave.

Funtoo but it isn't bleeding edge more stable, you could always go Gentoo/Slackware

Systemd is overall a good thing. But here is why some people hate it.
- It's led by Lennart who says retarded things and is associated with the collapse of audio on distros when his Pulse Audio was adopted too fast.
- Some applications are locked in with systemd now (e.g. Gnome 3).
- Some distros adopted systemd without a good enough discussion on alternatives (e.g. Debian and Ubuntu).
- Systemd is huge and is still growing so it doesn't follow The Unix Way meme.
- It's heavily developed by Redhat who some people think is trying to harm other competitors.
- It breaks old expectations of a normal Linux desktop (e.g. closing all processes that don't specify to survive logouts when someone logs out).

Udev and other tools that used to be independent are now a part of systemd.
In the near future those essential tools may not be separatable from systemd easily.

My biggest gripe with this whole thing is, why does all of it need to use the "systemd" moniker? Couldn't the exact same system be implemented in parts using more descriptive names and by doing so, avoid the fallout of people griping about "muh Unix"?

And since it's supposedly modular, why develop and release it as a whole package? Each individual piece of it could just be a self-sufficient package, no?

That's not true. Systemd is fucking good to program around. But the lock in is bad.

The GNU coreutils do the same thing and nobody bats an eye.

I think he mean programmers of systemd others than Red Hat and not others like say distro maintainers. The code of systemd is known to be a hairball , in Eric Raymond's words.

Contrarian hipster kill yourself. You only installed Linux just because you wanted to be "cool". Fuck off

Good
No need for fucking polkit, autofs or udev bloats now

I like arch Linux too much right now to switch to another distribution.

Except nobody but a few left-wing Lisp-tards really likes GNU.

Give me one good distro that avoids systemd

Sure, kid.

fuck off already, every fucking thread gets derailed because of this question and you know this, yet you still post it.

OP asked for distros without systemd,now post some or get the fuck out.

Devuan(or manually remove systemd from Debian), void, gentoo, in Arch you can use OpenRC, slackware

Struck a nerve, didn't I?

This. GNU sucks terribly.

PCLOS.

Manjaro has a version with OpenRC. Also you could try systemd-free.org/install.php

But systemd has heavy integration to prevent anyone from switching inits.

Not really no.

>PCLOS
Shit

I like my network manager and pulse audio. I'd move to GNOME when wayland comes out

You need to pay programmers money to make them do the boring testing and debugging required to actually make a program good.

Freetard model with dozens of programs that exist to do the same thing except none of them do it well and 95% are abandoned deserves to die.

Bring on the RedhatOS.

If GNOME fans hate PCLOS, then that must mean it's great.

Arch without Systemd:

systemd-free.org/install.php

>Freetard
This is the true face of RedHat. Vendor lock-in and their version of Microsoft's "embrace extend extinguish".

Shhhh, it's OK, user.
Not everyone is out to get you and ur waifu.

Thanks for the link, I'll try arch Linux without systemd

You're*

If you don't like my response then stop your shilling and leave.

Is Alpine any good?

Yes, it's just poorly documented.

it's a fucking botnet

I'm not sure how many packages are available user, its supposed to be a minimal server distro.

yes.

The Mail program, that is. Not the distro.

>Lock-in
>Free and open source software

You're literally complaining because the professionally developed software they offer up under the GPL is too damn good for GNAA/Freetard hackjob shitware to compete

Redhat isn't wasting vast quantities of time and money making backwards compatibility shims and compatibility layers to appease the feral freetards who foam at the mouth at the free and open source software they're given.

Systemd's new features mightn't be terribly important to a server box that sits 99% underutilized in a basement but dealing sensibly with VMs, containers and vast fleets of cloud systems is what Redhat's customers demand.

kek

explain pls.

>Freetard hackjob shitware
We don't need you and your flamewar here.

Leave,

>is too damn good

Holy shit, the paid shilling is real!

lul

no.

And locking in Gnome 3.

Make something better then.

Yes.

>I know jack shit of software quality, development and operating systems: The Post

Just a regular day on Sup Forums, tbfam h.

Tell me the wonders of the GNU userland that everybody is switching away from as fast as possible

Anti-GNU shilling is driving people away. Is only logical some companies try to push shitty licenses instead.

previous inits werked just fine, they still do

systemd is harmful is just a meme.

teh drag and drop files!

Lennart pls go

Leave.

>not using mint

I've found a way to get distributions without systemd from distrowatch, here distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=systemd&pkgver=&distrorange=NotInLatest#pkgsearch

You're conflating GNU and the GPL.

I don't care about systemd. Does it make you feel bad?

I'm using it. Has it no systemd?

systemd is actually beneficial in the long term growth of linux. There is nothing wrong with it. It makes sense to use it for the foreseeable future.

funny how not a single distro with more than 5 users is listed.

Kek, it's worse than I thought.

17.x uses Upstart.

Sarah has systemd.

tnx user

This was not a thread about systemd but about distros.

Your opinion is bullshit anyway.

>they come in packs

sometimes software turns into shit and you have to take it to the trash
with something like systemd this is very difficult as more and more other pieces of software start to depend on it

Yeah, it's actually a great source for software design anti-pattern samples. I love it, can't stop using it in my software engineering course.

Needless to say, I don't use Linux. Wanna bet what OS I use?

>using a shittier version of gentoo

Why?

objectively wrong

Thank you. 90 replies in, this was the first sensible answer to a legitimate question I had.