/pcbg/

General thread to discuss the building of PCs.
If you want to build a PC, get in here.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/TTWVcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/YFsy4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/L8QF8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/MTm4d6
pcpartpicker.com/list/y9FBcc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_OS
pcpartpicker.com/list/HpMqpb
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M91P-Tower-Core-i5-QC-2400-3-1GHz-Win-7-Pro-NO-OS-/272349611594
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T1500-Mini-Tower-Quad-Core-I5-3-20GHz-4GB-500GB-Win-7-Pro-COA-/351814087303
microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
pcpartpicker.com/list/3bQF8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/kGNK3F
pcpartpicker.com
logicalincrements.com/
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This pizza laptop better only be used with Tor and other IP masking software for CP purposes. Or just a dedicated pizza ordering laptop.

Anything else and you've wasted a good pc.

How often should you be upgrading the motherboard?

When the capacitors of the motherboard are specified as being polymer, does it still matters if they are Japanese or Taiwanese?

As infrequently as possible. Like, when you need to replace all components of your PC, or only when it gets completely unusable due to obsolescence.

People needs to replace motherboards when they wear out, not due to performance, normally.

Use the op copypasta damn it.

I don't know where the fuck it was, I needed a /pcbg/ so I created one.

Did you try finding an archived /pcbg/?

No, I was bored of waiting more than 10 hours for a /pcbg/ being created, so I got angry and created one right away.

Worth giving a fuck about Skylake CPUs or should a 4790k suffice for the next couple of years?

You'll be fine

How.much overclocking can you get out of it. I've the non k version of that cpu that I got cheap and just wondering

Skylake has maybe a 5% performance increase, uses a little less power and supports ddr4. If that doesn't sound impressive, don't upgrade. Honestly you can get 5+ years out of that haswell chip easy.

Yeah I was hesitant because LGA 1151 mobos have stupid prices, adn apparently the 6700k is neck to neck with the 4790k. I guess I'll just keep my z97 mobo and upgrade from my i5.

PC Building General

What laptop can match these specs, or beat them?

Anyone else waiting for Zen? Still on a Phenom II x4 here.

what are some common mistakes that people make when building PCs? i saw someone get upset in another thread for putting two sticks of ram on one side of a mobo, is that valid? what are some other instances?

Wrong , this here is the only real PC Building General. That another you linked is fake.

>putting two sticks of ram on one side of a mobo
How would be that?

There would be one stick in each channel, so it couldn't run in dual-channel mode.

Irrelevant, dual-channel does no makes any difference for common users.

It's a small difference, but there is a difference. No reason not to run it as dual-channel.

It's small, so there is no reason to worry about running as dual-channel, or not as dual-channel.

>try to squeeze the most performance out of your budget
>don't bother to do one thing for free

pcpartpicker.com/list/TTWVcc

any suggestions? haven't built a pc in 10 years and im trying to keep it under 2k

looks ok. 850W might be overkill, and I'd rethink MSI for the GPU but should be fine regardless

Get rid of the sound card, get a pcie wifi card, get a case without a window.

You don't need the 12g tube of thermal paste. The cheaper 3.5g one will be just fine, and you probably won't use that one up before you lose it.

You don't need that powerful of a PSU.

I'm not sure about the keyboard and mouse.

>get a case without a window

why does Sup Forums hate windows?

Yes I'm still on my i5 2500k

Saved up about a grand gbp so hopefully can build a decent PC when it drops.

They look obnoxious and make cases more expensive.

Running out of GBPs, but I'm working on earning some actual money.

I initially had a 650 but thought that wouldnt be enough. Sounds good to me

thanks!

I want to upgrade my mother board and cpu to Intel. How exactly would that work? Will i have to reinstall Windows?

Also should I wait for the next gen of processors? Currently using a phenom ii x4 955 here

HI SHOULD I BUY 1 8GBR AND THEN MAYBE BUY 1 LATER OR BUY 2 4GBR?

>bother to do useless things

"they look obnoxious"

lol

DON'T SHOUT!!!

At this point you may as well wait for Zen. It might be terrible, it might be good, it might even force Intel to cut their prices.

You might just have to re-activate windows.

Either one will be fine. Just get 2x8gb now if you can afford it.

Like make that post?

You're taste a shit

>Like make that post?
It's not useless to point that things are useless. I can prevent people from worrying about irrelevant things, while forgetting to do important things...

Hi guys, what do you think of this build?Will 500w be enough? Any suggestions?
pcpartpicker.com/list/YFsy4C

You need a z170 motherboard to overclock.

where's your case?

why not MSI?

pcpartpicker.com/list/ better?

the one I'm getting is not in pcpartpicker

pcpartpicker.com/list/L8QF8K i'm retarded

Any fat I can trim off? I'm looking for a gaming computer that can handle heavy loads like Runescape 4k with high frame rates
pcpartpicker.com/list/MTm4d6

which one is it though?
its not bad, but you can get a EVGA or even Gigabyte for the same price

But why get those instead of MSI?

How much do CPU's actually bottleneck modern games ?
As long as the CPU has at least SSE3 it should handle out fine by my logic.
So 4 core Athlon at 2 Ghz is around 50$
+ 30 $ AM1 mobo and a gtx 970
should total to around 320 $
Is that worth it ?
Alternatively an athlon x4 860k would add about 150 $ to it due to the mobo socket

if you can get the capacity in a single stick, go for it. You won't suffer even if you never upgrade in the future.

pcpartpicker.com/list/y9FBcc don't listen to what Sup Forums says. SSDs are not a meme. So much fucking faster. Use the SSD for OS and the HDD for storage.

Are you sure there are not any Celerons or Semprons with SSE3? If there are any, you are wrong.

I haven't build a pc since forever and I'm planning on doing so soon. How do I get win 10? Is buying it the only way to get it?

>How do I get win 10?
Why purposefully get malware?

muh gaming and DX12, i'm ok-ish with it, it's a gaming and working only pc

Gaming on Steam?

steam mainly, yes

Why don't you use this instead?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_OS

Can any of you cool guys take a once over of my big dick oil prince build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/HpMqpb
I can probs cut down to a 650W power supply, and I may forgo 16GB of ram and get it later on down the line (i plan on using multiple vm's for some work stuffs)
Is the motherboard good? I want to ask the same about the GPU too, I don't remember which companies are reputable for not being shite for different parts

SteamOS is terrible, linux has no real games.

a regular linux distro would be better than that,
but still falls way behind the library / user experience of steam on windows.

you would simply be wasting your time.

Buy a used workstation instead and add a new GPU.

www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-GX790-Mini-Tower-i7-2600-Quad-Core-3-4-GHz-4-0Gb-500Gb-DVD-RW-/252508082273
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M91P-Tower-Core-i5-QC-2400-3-1GHz-Win-7-Pro-NO-OS-/272349611594
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T1500-Mini-Tower-Quad-Core-I5-3-20GHz-4GB-500GB-Win-7-Pro-COA-/351814087303

Make sure it's at least a sandy bridge CPU (2xxx), not SFF (small form factor) so you can actually add a full-size GPU, and uses a standard ATX power supply.

>linux has no real games
It even has Steam, fucker.

>SteamOS is terrible
No explanations given, no fucks given.

>a regular linux distro would be better than that
That's why it's a gaming distro, not a every-purpose distro.

>user experience of steam on windows
The fuck is that?

>you would simply be wasting your time
He would be playing games without wasting all it's freedom with Windows 10.

My steam library on linux has only 1/3 of the games I own available, and most of them are shitty indie bundle games.

So, this means you can't choose properly which games to play...

Fuck off already.

The selection of games on linux is limited, yes. It's slowly getting better, but some of the publishers don't give a fuck. Some of th old ones run in DOSbox for fuck's sake, you're telling me you can't have an intern "port" that shit in an afternoon?

You chose convenience over freedom. Don't blame others for doing this. The choice was yours. All is lost now. You could prevent this.

microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

>The selection of games on linux is limited, yes.
This means that more boycott is necessary to make this change.

>It's slowly getting better, but some of the publishers don't give a fuck.
They can go fuck themselves if they want to enslave me.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/3bQF8K
i'm about to pull the trigger on this build today. any changes or suggestions while keeping price and case the same?

I already know that, I want to know if I can pirate it

>caring
Just see what motherboard has the best reviews wtf

Whaddaya think about my server build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/kGNK3F

Get a case with at least 3 5.25" bays so you can add a 4-drive hotswap bay. What are you using your server for where you only need 6tb of storage?

say, that computer is breddy snazy

so am i good to go? pls respend

Looks alright. I'm sure someone will recommend against MSI.

Some of them don't have reviews...

>linux has no real games.
So GNU/Linux is the new 'PS3 has no games' now?

It's useless to worry about what other people do

No, I have an obligation to change the world for better.

>fall for the "build a pc meme"
>alright lets get it started
>added a 1TB SSD, Titan X, a motherboard, 16 gigs of ram and were already at $1500 don't even have a case, processor, power supply yet

haah nice one liv 2 meme

Noone forces you to be incompetent...

Ok, so the reason I have never had a decent gaming pc before when I was living with parents is I didn't really have the space to accommodate. I have moved out and so I now have room.

I have money and I know how to build a computer. What I don't know though is what is the latest and greatest on pc parts since I haven't really been following such news. Like I really don't know at all which brands are considered best right now and shit. I'm also trying not to fall for any memes.

What parts would you guys recommend? Like I said I'm pretty good on cash, although at the same time I'm not going to waste money on useless shit. And no shilling pls

>its a no you have to go to my probably illegal chinese website that takes 12 weeks to deliver with no warranty episode

I haven't said that you need to do this.

I think you should ask each part a time, not all at once, it would overwhelm your helpers.

>picks a motherboard before he picks a CPU
>adds the most expensive shit right away
Not sure if you're retarded, trolling, or both

i7-6700k
Noctua NH-D15
ASROCK OCF
Samsung SSD 850 or 950 @500GB+
32GB RAM DDR4-2133 (faster doesnt help )
GTX 1080 custom of your choice (read tests)
600 Watt Enermax Platimax Modular 80+
Case of your choice (remeber lenght of GPU and hight of CPU-cooler)

save money on cooler, get a Noctua NH-D15
The MSI card is shit - read tests, get something different
NEver buy EVGA PSU... get a real brand, Enermax, Bequiet, or anything that starts with an S
Swap mainboard for ASROCK
Swap ram for 32GB (2x16GB) 2133 kit.
Don't buy WD buy a hitachi
Check if case will fit Noctua NH-D15
Buy bequiet silent 2 fans

with the saved money change that i5 to the i7

Why does it matter.

"its lego it just snaps together!" right?

Of course I want good parts, if I didn't I'd just head over to Best Goy.

you must have a real meme machine pal

Leaning towards retarded.

This thread seems to have at least stabilized. I fetched the Copypasta from an archive.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.

- Always state the purpose of your PC and your budget. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

what is the general opinion on liquid cooling around here? is it 100% meme?

The silly closed-loop coolers are total memes.

The custom systems with water blocks for the CPU and GPU and a giant radiator are good but too expensive to be memes.

What is the problem with choosing the motherboard before the CPU?

I can't see how was it unstable before, can you please show me?

I pretty much have a job but it doesn't pay so well, but I have some good low price stuff to work with to make a good gaming PC