With SSD/HDD running on sata power connectors and video cards using a 6 or 8 pin is there any reason to have a molex 4...

With SSD/HDD running on sata power connectors and video cards using a 6 or 8 pin is there any reason to have a molex 4 pin connector on your PSU?

Worst case scenario you can just adapt the sata power.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Genuine-DW209-DW002-Systems-Compatible/dp/B0096S9Q2A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nah, it's only there for the old farts who can't let go of their 20 year old floppy drives.

I needed it for my fans. Mobo only had one sys_fan port, so I used a fan splitter that used molex

You can split off the motherboard fan header.

Plus, only the cheapest, shittiest of motherboards will only have 1 fan header. Most half decent ones will have at least 2, which you can split to 4 and have the perfect 2 intake 1 exhaust setup.

Molex can be useful if you need decent current capacity in 12v, like the dodgy-ass molex -> PCIe or powering something not normally found in cases (speakers etc).

For 99.9% of users, though, nope. Molex is pointless waste of time and money.

Except my case fan was a 3 pin and the headers on my mobo are 4 pin. Turns out without the splitter I couldnt have connected my case fan normally anyways

>dodgy-ass molex -> PCIe

My impression is that if you need such an adapter you should throw your PSU into the garbage.

It is probably not design for such loads even if the wattage may seem right.

You can use a normal fan in a PWM header, bro. You just ignore the last pin that stays unconnected when you line up the plastic bits.

Molex ones are probably more common though.

It depends on what you're doing with it. You could've bought, say, a 460 or a 750 Ti and accidentally got one with a 6-pin, and all you need is to throw it another 10-15w to make it work.
Providing the PSU (even a cheap shit one) has a single 12v, it doesn't matter what cables you draw that through.

My example comes from running a HD6850 in an ex-business dell for a friend, it's 250w with a single 12v and been running fine for over a year now.

Floppy drive doesn't use Molex 4 pin.

Yes... They do?

They're called floppy connectors when people get autismal about the molex name.

Spot the user whose never self built his own machine but shit posts anyway. Kys

Don't they use the berg connector?

I used a molex to sata adapter when I bought an evo 850 and it caught fire and melted. The 850 was fine though. Anyway, adapters are a bad idea.

How can I drive two 770s in SLI off of a PSU with 750w but only 2 6-pin pcie cables? The 770s have an 8 pin and a 6 pin each.

I know they're a thing, but all the 3.5" i've personally seen have been molex or at least had both.

>750w
>only 2 6-pin pcie
Yeah, it's not actually 750w. Any actual 700w+ on the 12v PSU will have at the very least 2x 6+2s, more likely 4.

I've never seen a floppy drive use anything other than this, and it's clearly not the molex 4 pin.
I had a 5.25 inch floppy back in the day, but I don't remember what that used. Maybe it was a molex 4 pin. It's possible. But 5.25 inches haven't been common for a very long time.

Maybe this shit is regional, because i've yet to see a 3.5 here in aus that doesn't have a molex

Most mother boards fan heads are rated for 1A TOTAL and not per lead, documentation usually won't specify which one and you won't know until your board fries. Don't hook more than 3 fans to your motherboard.

Its this PSU

amazon.com/Genuine-DW209-DW002-Systems-Compatible/dp/B0096S9Q2A

You kinda don't.
You can use molex/SATA->6/8 pins but other than that you really don't.

Most fans use less than .20A, there's no real problem going 4 fans if you feel the need.
I personally don't see why you would need more than 2x intake and 1 exhaust, though. Assuming all 140mm, even ULV noctuas will provide enough flow for more or less any system.

this. feels good man. get a splitter and fan your shit up, hell you can even hookup a radiator water cooler or whatever the fuck you have like 4 more headers with a splitter.

Me too

I think what Im going to do is get two 6pin to 8pin adapters to power the 8pins, then SATA to 6pins for the 6pins.

Trying to SLI a free XPS630 with these two cards, one of which I also got for free. If I end up needi g a new PSU I'll go that route.

this is why I use a workstation board and have no such trouble running fans off it

Yeah, that's a cheap ~500w power supply dell are lying about.

You're lucky it is a standard ATX, though, so go buy yourself an EVGA supernova 750W and enjoy delicious 4x 6+2 pin and the knowledge it is actually 750w.

High quality server chassis with storage backplanes use 4 pin mollex connectors.

On the contrary your opinion is what's garbage. My 12 year old seasonic 500w is powering hardware that has connectors which simply did not exist when the psu was made. Molex Adapters are included with sata hdds new gpu and pci e add in cards for exactly this reason. Nothing wrong with this psu, hell ot was over engineered so much corsair re badged it as a 750w and sold it at a massive markup

I use molex to power an ancient overclocked 450, the power supply is short 60 watts of recommended, no housefires yet though.

I have 10 fans you a retard. You the type of fag who is for the removal of a headphone jack