Honestly now, do you really use the homerow style of typing? Does it really improves your efficiency?

Honestly now, do you really use the homerow style of typing? Does it really improves your efficiency?

I for example always had more "funcionality" in my left hand so i cover and type more buttons with left hand than i do with my right. Also on right hand i only use my index and middle finger.

Is it time for a change? Should I force my self to learn the homerow style?

>homerow
>not hjkl

non-vim plebian has been detected

No, I just type however it comes out

How the fuck did you "detect" me?
I already told you how I type. That is some random pic from internet.

Can we have reasonable discussion about style of typing and efficiency?

Not worth learning a "proper" style of typing. I'm just typing with whatever fingers I'm used to and I can get up to and over 150WPM, it wouldn't be worth it and it would consume an extremely long time to get as good as you are right now.

Yeah I think you are right. But it always boggled me if it would be more faster eventually when you get used to that homerow style.

Don't know if it even will be faster, may be a little bit, but think about how long you have been typing as you are right now, it's probably an extremely long time and it would take even longer learning another style of typing I would imagine.

Don't you need your right pinky on the weird punctuation keys for programming?

>not using Colemak
Stay pleb

For me, the home row concept is stupid. I rely on modifiers a lot, and reaching the upper row with pinkies would require me to move my entire hand. I use my pinkies for modifiers, the enter key and some punctuation. I don't even put much effort into making sure that I press letters with the right hand. Home row makes little sense to me, because typing a letter like q (with a querty layout) isn't comfortable in any way. Even Sean Wrona (the fastest typist on the planet) doesn't make sure that he uses the appropriate hand to write letters.

Just type the way you find comfortable.

You're doing it wrong, user. You're supposed to have your fingers on the home row and reach both 'h' and 'j' with your right index finger.

I pretty much only use the index, middle, and ring fingers on either hand when i type. I remember in the 4th grade the school bought hella alpha-smarts and tried to teach us to type "properly" using home row and shit, and it never stuck. who the fuck gives a damn about how i type?

>homerow style of typing
actually, that's just "typing".

The homerow method is ideal as long as you have the muscle memory to pull your hands away from them and move them back instantly.

Personally, i hover my hands above the home row when I'm preparing to type. But in the midst of heavy typing, they are certainly placed down there, though rather lightly.

What are modifiers?

Control, alt and super (which most people refer to as "the windows key") are the modifier keys that you can find on pretty much any keyboard.

Holy shit, do you use alt for programming?

What fingers are you supposed to use for modifiers (left and right) and what do you actually use?

type however you want. if you can type at high wpms with good accuracy then who the fuck cares.
personally I'm in the 100-115 wpm range and I homerow.

it's useful for the console. alt+b and alt+f goes back / forward a word.

Err, yeah

I really don't see how you can type quickly and efficiently any other way

my typical technique is all over the place and i can easily do 90wpm. i still automatically put my fingers on wasd even though i haven't played a video game in like 5 years

Do you guys look at the keyboard at all?

I use 2 fingers and top out around 80wpm.

I don't really bother to type faster because I can't even compose text that fast.

I rebound my caps lock key so it works as another control key, and I hold my pinky on it, because the standard position for the control key isn't comfortable for me, and I use the control key a lot. Alt key works as a meta key in Emacs, and I press it with my left thumb. My right thumb is used both for all gr and the space key. I don't use the right control key, because it isn't in a good position for me, and there are some keyboards that have it in a different position, which would make it harder for me to use a keyboard like that if I relied on the right control key.

no. i accidentally bought a black on black stealth keyboard so i can't even see the keys unless i use a light. i got used to it after a while and now never look at the keyboard

>fucking HJKL
>implying that's the vi style

The vi way, kid, is jkl;

>accidentally

you "accidentally" bought the fedora of keyboards?

it was on sale for like $10 on newegg and i needed a new one so i just bought it after looking at it for 2 seconds like a moron

i'd switch but i really don't care anymore

>Unironically using colemak instead of Dvorak

GNU bash uses Emacs keybindings by default. You can take a look at them if you want to edit text in bash more efficiently. There's a way to set bash to use vi keybindings if you happen to use them.

C-r is pretty useful, because it searches backwards through the history
C-f and C-b move forwards and backwards by characters
C-p and C-n move by lines, which are the commands that have been run previously
C-a and C-e move to the beginning and the end of line
C-x C-e opens up the current command in your editor if you need it for some reason
There are some other commands that bash has built in and that I use, like M-c, M-u, M-l and C-t that I use in it (with things like negative arguments for commands that change the capitalization of words.)

C- means the control key, M- means the meta key (which should be alt, or the key that should be pressed with meta can be prefixed with escape.)

I don't type exactly how you're "supposed" to, but I do type primarily home row proper. I have a few center keys / spacebar that I use the "wrong" hand/finger for.

I type around 100-120wpm.

However, typing at that speed is pretty useless for the most part because beyond basic proficiency the delay is generally in actually thinking about what you're typing, not in the typing itself.

Even on Sup Forums I typically spend at twice as long reviewing my post than I actually spend typing it.

I don't understand that style of typing. To increase typing speed, decrease the amount of time in between keystrokes. Why would you intentionally double the time between strokes by pressing a key then returning your finger to the home row before pressing the next key?

who else never uses the right ctrl or shift buttons?

it just feels wrong

I don't. These keys can be messed up on some keyboards, and I want to be able to use whatever keyboard I have to use efficiently.

How do you do a capital Q or $?

i just always use the left shift with my pinky. for Q it's shift with pinky+q with ring finger, $ is shift with pinky+4 with index

yes i know it's retarded but that's just how my muscle memory works at this point

Not him, but I use my left pinky to hold down the shift key, and the ring finger to type the letter or digit key. I don't type any letters with my pinkies.

Wow.

Are you fast?

You push A with ring, then S with ring for "as"?

No, I use the middle finger for s.

i can't do that because my middle finger is curved to the right. i use my index finger on the right hand and middle finger on the left. I've been to typing competitions (didn't win, but I got a pretty good score) so I can tell you right now there is no 'best' way to type.

Cool. Dou you do the same for 1 and 2?

Can anyone else confirm that this is OK?

Do any of you guys have trouble typing the numbers in the number row?

How often do you guys need the F-keys? How do you know the location for them without looking?

I probably use the same fingers for keys on the same column, but in some cases I switch the way I hold my fingers on the keyboard if I type some word that would be inefficient with the configuration that I normally use. I can hit F keys without looking at them pretty easily. I learnt "touch typing" by just not looking at the keyboard when I type. I had some typing experience before that, but I didn't care if I looked at the keyboard while typing.

f keys are easy because of the way they're spaced. some keyboards have them in a row so they aren't spaced and that screws me up a bit

don't have problems with numbers

Yeah, I'm talking about thinkpad/laptop where "9" is in between F10 and F11

thinking about, i think the only thing i usually have problems with on the keyboard is alt stuff. i never got used to using right alt, so i use the left alt, but i use it with my thumb. it gets awkward.

I can't even use the right alt key, because it's used as alt gr in the layout that I need to use.

>unironically using dvorak instead of qgmlwb

I'm sort of considering moving to qgmlwb from colemak, but I haven't decided yet. Thinking of maybe doing it if I get a new keyboard.

I have no trouble with numbers, but the F keys are basically impossible for me. I have to look to hit the right one.

>Do any of you guys have trouble typing the numbers in the number row?
You use numpad for that. Huge number sequences are typed in seconds.
That's why tenkeyless faggots are retarded btw.

It's nice, it feels like it's less effort to type with it than QWERTY but that could just be the placebo effect.

Gamer master race rolling in.

I'm just using QGMLWY
Practically equally efficient, but moves around less keys.

I don't even know how I rest my hands generally. It's not "home row" bullshit, it's just kind of hovering.

All I really know about my habits(that stands out) is that I exclusively use right shift for capitalization and that my right pinkie is always hovering almost directly on top of it.

My hands have been deformed by playing PC games, so my resting position is two triangles on W, A, and D; and O, K, and the semicolon.