Shut Up

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>he complains about a useful feature which doesn't exist in any Windows Version in 2016
>he doesn't use keyboard shortcuts

I bet you can disable this, but you are too lazy to do it.

WTF even is the reason for this "feature" ???

>what is this

You can disable it.

I actually like this feature, but actually this is actually on windows 10

it works if you touch the power button (not holding ofc) instead of clicking shutdown.

Wanting to reopen windows that you aren't done with..?

dude how good is stranger things though

Pffft.... not useding keyboard shortcuts for everything.

That's what MAKE Macs amazing.

Try CTRL-OPT-CMD and Eject

Then go fuck yourself for being a stupid noob.

9/10

good taste my dude

not op, but my macbook doesn't have an eject key. is it just the power key in my case?

f12 is eject nigga
Got a hackintosh and the macshortcuts are godsent

ITT: Damage control

isn't that just sleep/hibernate?

Uh, no? It reopens software when it boots back up.

Easily the best television show since Twin Peaks. Hopefully Stranger Things season 2 will happen just before Twin Peaks season 3 and I can enjoy the best year in television ever in 2017

CHANGE MY PITCH UP
SHUT MY SHIT UP

does it restore state? then it's just hibernate with some screen effect

I'm pretty sure this is on Windows XP dude.
If not, it's 100% on Windows 7

>does it restore state?
Restore what state? It opens up all the software you had open. If you have Safari open with 10 tabs open, it'll reopen those 10 tabs in Safari after you login.

no and no
It's also not on win10 afaik

>tfw using Ctrl+F and Ctrl+B to move the text cursor forward and backward without having to move my hand all the way to the arrow keys

feels goodman

>I'm pretty sure this is on Windows XP dude.
Absolutely not.
>If not, it's 100% on Windows 7
Nope.

Not in Windows 10, either, unless it's just off by default.

So it restores the state? Is this new tech to macfags? LMAO.

it's new tech to windows users it seems, you fucking retard

>So it restores the state?
Sure, call it whatever.
> Is this new tech to macfags? LMAO.
Who said it was new? It's existed since Lion.

is this a thread for retards wtf?
op posts an unfunny shoop and people are talking about hibernate like both osx and windows haven't had it for years.
seriously wtf is going on?

>hibernate/sleep
>new to windows

LMAO iFags are so deluded

I'm very confused myself.

>people are talking about hibernate
No one is talking about hibernate.

>Pffft
>useding
>capitalizing words
>noob
>go fuck yourself
you must be over 18 to post here kid

I'm on windows 7
When I press the power button, it does that "waiting for programs to close" thing

>When I press the power button, it does that "waiting for programs to close" thing
And then they don't reopen the next time you start the computer.

Don't get it..

Anyone explain please ?

So you're talking about hibernate? Okay different shit then. OP's pic is very confusing

Windows 7 has hibernate...

I guess it's like a hibernate that doesn't require writing the entire contents of RAM to the drive and survives a reboot, sure.

Windows doesn't do it, though.

>pitch
Detected the highschool-educated neet

So how does OSX do it?

what did he mean by this

OSX got cut and paste like two years ago, it's not very unlikely that they didn't have such advanced features like hibernate before.

Pitch and volume are two different things

look at the shits i give
im not even a native speaker

Probably just some autistic version of this.

Recap of this thread:
>OP makes an unfunny shoop
>second poster is retarded and thinks OP is pointing out the checkbox
>people start discussing that feature and how it compares to hibernation
>only a few even notice the shoop

Well it has to be writing shit to disk else it wouldn't survive a reboot

How is this any better/different than hibernate again?

>Macs are so intuitive
>keyboard wizardry for doing shit that's hidden or buried in the GUI eclipses the arcanity of tiling window managers

I love option+cmd clicking my way around just to change the screen rotation too

It's different

cause it actually turns off? Are you literally that retarded?

Hibernation turns off the pc too. That's the whole point. Otherwise it would be called Suspend

Hibernate turns off. Are you actually I retarded?
I can hibernate, rip out the hard drive, throw my pc into a river, and theoretically boot it on another machine with the same exact specs with no effect.

So does hibernate

This just writes sparse metadata instead of the full contents of RAM though, and relies on applications supporting it. Not all applications will resume with the exact state you left, but with hibernate, they will.

It's worse hibernate for a time when hibernate didn't exist

So basically this thread is praising a feature that is shittier version of something Linux and Windows have had for more than 10 years?

Yeah basically

They probably think finder's folder metadata is anything but a pain in the ass too

Imagine Windows shitting up your startup folder with everything you have open on shutdown. That's pretty much Apple's retarded version of hibernate.

It’s a shoop…

It doesn't restore state from sleep nor hibernation you idiot. It restarts the machine and cold boots to OS. Then it reopens all applications and all files you had open last session. Is it so hard to comprehend? PID counter start from 0 all over again.

>Who doesn't want to tell their computer to shut up sometimes.

sleep mode bruh

Windows also takes a fraction of the time to start up

>Then it reopens all applications and all files you had open last session.

So basically it restores the state that was saved before shutting down, like hibernation.

I don't know the specifics.
>Well it has to be writing shit to disk else it wouldn't survive a reboot
Yea, that is what I said.
>How is this any better/different than hibernate again?
See my previous comment. If you can't understand then I can't make you understand.

Except hibernation requires more disk space and will not survive a reboot.

>So basically it restores the state that was saved before shutting down, like hibernation.
Nope.
All that happens is that the applications and their docs would be reopened. Changes are saved but the state is not preserved.
EG A movie would start from the beginning rather than from where you left off.
If you want to preserve state use Sleep.

I don't know what you want.

>and will not survive a reboot
what the fuck does this even mean?
just scroll up in the thread dude, hibernate CAN survive a reboot. christ, you macfags are so painful to even teach. how did you even manage to fucking pass high school?

And how do you select both restart and hibernate?

this pic pretty much answers every question in this thread

I don't understand how you think that survives actually rebooting. Will hibernate save your session when you update the computer, for example?

Why are you so obtuse?

because I've done it many times. yes

you mean acute?

confirmed idiot retard fag

You are really dense... Go do this: hibernate your pc, go pull the plug then plug it back in and turn it on. Is your session still there?

Yes, that's not the sort of thing that would be undoable with hibernate in Windows.

wow i really hate this board so much.

yes, that's what I've been saying. Hibernate isn't sleep/suspend. They are two different things

install linux and be done with it. or are you too much of a FAG with your games? need to suck that dick so bad eh? well guess what? you're fucking GAY. get over yourself. drink that cum your faggs.

is it actually?

I use linux, I'm just trying to explain to this isolated macfag how windows hibernation works. Do you understand how painful this is? I'm saying the same shit over and over again and he's just not getting it.

You're an idiot, fuck off. Hibernate in Windows will NOT survive a reboot. It's just a fact. Go kill yourself.

yes it fucking does. wtf?

>imply reboot means reset

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)

Literally available since Windows 95.

>Hibernation (or suspend to disk) in computing is powering down a computer while retaining its state. Upon hibernation, the computer saves the contents of its random access memory (RAM) to a hard disk or other non-volatile storage.

>had a power outage the other day, had to reinstall video drivers
>everything works fine now, except the laptop (I unplug the battery to preserve its lifespan when I don't plan on taking it somewhere else in the house) hibernates when I close the lid instead of sleeping
>power settings still set to "Sleep" on close

What the hell?

>ITT Macfacs trying to act like their unique

It's literally Hibernate.
When I hibernate my computer, it's OFF.
Screen's off, Fans are off, HDD's don't spin.

God damn, this is as hilarious as the "New and unique Samsung S-Pe- I mean the Apple Pencil!"

WHAAAAM NA NA NA NANA.

The OP was just about the phrase "shut up" though, there was nothing else mentioned about anything. It should be shut down, not shut up - as in be quiet.

Typical shills automatically got offended by it and started their defense mechanism, which was countered by opposite side shills. All the posts after OP were off topic since people are horrible.

Holy crap, I never knew this shortcut existed.
For those that can't try it, it starts the shutdown process (at least on OSX 10.5).
TFW Transmission asks if I want to quit while having active transfers.

Hold down Option when shutting down to suppress this prompt.

what is this engrish?

windows has 2 low power modes

sleep lowers power usage but keeps data in volatile memory, wakes up quickly, if you lose power you lose the session

hibernate writes RAM to disk and shuts down. when you power it back up it reads the saved RAM file back into memory and puts you back in your session. unplugging the pc would not stop this from working.

>does it restore state?
No. That's why it's a fucking joke.

Windows SLEEP: Like the name implies, a short term pause. Write RAM to disk and enter low-power mode. When you lose power you're fucked

Windows HIBERNATE: Write RAM to disk and shut down entirely. On boot, the crap gets read into RAM again.

Windows SLEEP HYBRID: Sleep + hibernate, meaning it behaves like sleep, but if you lose power you ain't fucked

Apple "special as in special education" iStarbucksBreak" method as understood, explained in Windows terms:

- make temporary saves of opened files and websites
- shove saves and links to some temporary "startup"-like folder
- shut down
- read said folder on system start
- move folder to trash
- move mac to trash
- get a real computer

sleep (suspend) doesnt write ram to disk.
It just keeps ram powered so it can resume like nothing happened.

HYBRID writes the ram to disk before suspending, so that it can resume like a normal suspend if power is OK, or it can reboot from hibernate if the power is lost.

Only benifet from hibernate is that it may resume faster. Still takes just as long to get into that mode, and uses battery/power to keep the ram up.

the point passed your cranium at an altitude greater than your height

I've watched three or four episodes now. Nothing has happened, kids are fucking annoying -specifically that toothless retard but the main kid is a fucking whining faggot too, oh and the black kid is unbearable as well.. and that high school teen love plot is fucking stupid.

When this series kicks off? Will the kids be killed off?

that sounds painful as fuck
install vim

>Will the kids be killed off?
lolol