Is there any real reason to use Linux other than "it's free"?

Is there any real reason to use Linux other than "it's free"?

What can I do on Linux that I can't do on windows or osx?

you can use it instead of getting used by it. it's not gonna serve you food.

name?

Would you, could you?

low resource usage

there's more for other people but that's it for me

I asked for a real reason, not your dankest meme.

Detrina, don't know any other name

Yes and no

So it's better on older /weaker hardware?
That sounds like a nice plus.
Also thanks for being the only person ITT with a real answer

Linux is built by enthusiasts. Intelligent people who respect your freedom but don't know how to make something user friendly so there's a learning curve

Windows is built by businessmen who give you things for free so that they can sell your activity to advertisers. They hire people to make it easier to use than Linux so they offer convenience where Linux can't.

OSX is built by idealists who don't live in the real world. It's the best operating system in terms of user friendly-ness and I'd rather give my nan an iPad than bloated cheap windows PC that tries to trick her constantly. Freedom doesn't come with OSX but lots of free software will run on it because of it's roots.

How much do you care about freedom and privacy?

Package managers
CLI that isn't garbage
Package managers
Repositories
Package managers
Programming without wanting to kill yourself. Ultra compatibility with many compilers and interpreters
Package managers
Desktop Environments
Package managers
Installing without worrying about xy keyboard drivers not working
Package managers
Updates without needing to reboot (if you don't use systemd)
Package managers
Knowing what the fuck your PC is doing
Package managers
Superior Sigkill
Package managers

I forgot about workspaces. Those are neat too

>I asked for a real reason, not your dankest meme.
Go back to primary and learn how to read

>Poor mac
>If it would try a bit harder

How retarded are you?

Don't be so mad, user. Ability to read and comprehend is not hard to achieve

Exactly, so how retarded are you?

Windows isn't easier to use than Linux.
It's just more accessible, since Windows is pre-installed and configured on the PC you buy, whereas you have to install and configure Linux yourself if you want it.
You can use it by pushing buttons same as in Windows, and you do advanced stuff in the command line, instead of editing non-descriptive registry keys.

Exactly. Don't be so mad, user. Ability to read and comprehend is not hard to achieve

Nothing. Don't listen to the no life neckbeards convince you otherwise, Linux is objectively inferior to both Windows and MacOS.

You can have total control over it instead of having it totally control you.

>Windows isn't easier to use than Linux.
The fact that it pre-installs things and has some stuff already setup makes it easier to use for non technical people.

Sure. Ignore my post.
Though you deluded winc*cks probably have that shit filtered

>for non technical people

In 2016 this only includes retards and rednecks.

Ubuntu comes with a LOT more stuff set up and basically gives you a ready-to-use full featured desktop system out of the box, including office.

The only problem is that it isn't pre-installed when you buy a pc, and the 30 mins it takes to install is too much for 98% of the users.

She looks like shes going to get hairy as she ages

>street shitter
>not hairy

(you)

Poo in the loo, pahjeet

Looks spanish, more south american desu. Street shitters have jet black hair.

You'd be surprised at how tech illiterate many normies really are

She's from portugal actually

>So it's better on older /weaker hardware?
It can be, depends on what you're using.
It can also be a royal pain in the ass on older hardware because of a lack of drivers. For example, if you're using a Core 2 Duo era or earlier laptop with ATI graphics, may the gods help you if you want to run Linux properly.

>Package managers
>workspaces
As of Windows 10, Windows has these as well. First party, that is.

Figured that out, but Portuguese women aren't this dark though. I wonder if her family migrated to portugal from brasil or something.

Multitasking in Windows is a joke, you can't even use a window on top, that's just pathetic.
The virtual desktop feature of Win10 is a cheap knockoff of Gnome3's implementation.
Touchpad drivers are subpar on Windows (Synaptics), they are buggy and slow POS, that's the main reason I switched to Ubuntu on my laptop.
The update system is simply superior, it takes little time and it updates your entire software collection.
Bash is a part of the system, not a hacked together mess like bash for Windows.
Font rendering becomes a big issue if you work with computers, Cleartype will never compete and MS doesn't give a crap about it since Metro apps still have broken font rendering.
Installing a programs is copy+paste 3 lines of text.
No adware, no toolbars, it just works.
>muh adobu or muh office
Virtual machines are great, you can freeze your work so you don't have to close and reopen programs, plus snapshots are great.