What is the absolute worst version of windows in history?

What is the absolute worst version of windows in history?

Vista. Next question.

I wanted to put this picture originally

1.0 was pretty bad

Windows ME.

Anyone who argues otherwise is a child and/or never used it.

1. RT (ReTard)
2. ME (MEtard)
3. CE

Ahh, so you're just an anti-windows 10 shit poster. Carry on.

Depends on who you ask.
I've heard people say Windows ME, yet it's the best of the 9x series for me. I've heard Vista is the worst, but it works fine post SP1 if all you use are programs updated for its new security model.

For me, I'm going with Windows 10. It loves to generate hard drive activity and network traffic. And it drops my second hard drive with "surprise removal" messages in the Event Viewer. There's more, but that's enough for now.

I've used it. ME is crap when an OEM installs it. Try a clean installation without 3rd party drivers.

It's the fastest booting of the 9x series on my VMs.

RT wasn't bad per-se. It was half decent for what it was and fairly stable. It was just utterly useless. I don't know if I could consider that "worst", though that depends on a purely subjective take on the word.

OP here, I actually unironically use (and like) botnet poo in loo 10.

Gonna say vista for me, skipped winME though...

Fair enough. In my experience, in the short year I used it, ME gave me more blue screens than the rest my entire career with Windows.

That's a hard choice between Vista and 8

Agreed. I had 3.1, 95 and 98 on my first two hand-me-downs, but ME was on my first brand-new PC that was all mine. What a fucking test of patience and willingness to learn.

windows me. vista was better than me.

me was a memory leaking pile of shit.

for starting the legacy of Windows

These.

Nothing wrong with 8.1 to be quite honest, is faster than win7 and you can disable anything related to metro anytime.

There is everything in the world wrong with having to install third party software to get the start button back. Windows 10 is a hundred times better.

Where's the Start Menu though? I'm not installing 3rd party software for that, and Win-X is not a replacement for launching programs.

Worst: Any Vista, followed by 8/8.1
Best: Windows 2000 Professional

I'm sorry but vista had nothing on ME

ME was were the blue screen meme came from...

The Win98 beta demo by Gates himself was where the BSOD meme came from.

I went through an OSX stage after XP. Other than the system requirements, which were said to be steep, what was so poor about Vista? From my minimal exposure, it appeared to be better than the abortion that should have been 8, and Tidus. I find it difficult to believe it was worse than Windows 10 even. Was the initial release botched?

What happened to Windows 9, anyway?

The 9th version of windows was known as windows 8.1

10 sounds better than 9. Seriously.

It was skipped.

MS are a bunch of dumbshits and were too lazy to search specific versions of Windows (95, 98, etc) in their software, so they had to skip Windows 9.

wrong

See pic

ME, only version of the OS that would boot and lock itself up in 3 hours, all services off, no 3rd party programs, etc (exactly 3 hours, could set a watch.)

On the plus side, it was the last version I owned that could play all my old games and all the new XP games I bought.

I liked vista64. Was slow to start up but great once running

looks comfy. Cinnamon?

10 sounds better. That is the only reason.

Windows 98.

Not sure if 98, ME or Vista
98 was giving me BSoD few times per hour, ME was fucking shit, Vista had really shitty USB compatibility

without a doubt 10

98 was GOAT

it's a close call between Vista and ME, with Vista "winning"

millennium edition + vista both were shit together

7 is equally as shit because no dx12 support, ever

yeah sure vulkan but still...

>Having to even ask

KEK

Windows 98 crashed on me more than any OS. I even managed to find a strange crash where the audio driver was conflicting with the video driver. As soon as the sound was going and the cpu up it went black screen. This took me so long to figure out as a 16 year old kid. To this day I don't know how I did.

98SE was slightly better but 98 in general was a crash-fest you had to reinstall every few months to keep it functional.
I got into Linux in the 98 days because even though it was a slight hassle to get the wifi working, once you did it was amazing to use something that didn't randomly crash everyday.

Sounds like you had both cards set to the same IRQ.

God yes.
Always some driver issue and everybody fucking with the registry and installing RAM managers and running program killers to try and play a game or something without having the computer crash.

I cut my teeth in a repair shop in the 98SE days.

You kids don't know how easy you have it.

What happened to Samsung Galaxy Note 6?

You're probably around the same age as me.
I was repairing people's VCRs and TVs at the time, hadn't gotten into the computer repair shitfest yet.

Man, you could almost set your watch for the customer rush. Big storm rolling in? Better order extra modems for the 500 fucking people who didn't unplug their shit during the storm.

windows 10 is since i updated to AU

Windows ME was pretty shit too.

I had a pushup pole with a huge TV and bunch of scanner antennas on it so the lighting would hit that and fry my antenna rotatory but I was constantly just upgrading my modems trying to get maximum 56k V.92 performance.
I must have gone through 10 modems before I found a US Robotics external modem I felt was about as good as it gets.
I did pretty good with the VCR repair thing for a teenager and the hopeless ones I used the components from to build a cable tv de-scrambler from scratch I was constantly working on. Those scrambled titties you'd catch glimpses of were just too much of a challenge for me as young lad.

>tv de-scrambler

Fuck, those were the days. My dad used to buy them $20 a pop from a guy he worked with and he'd trade them around to people for favors.

I had zero connections to any of that so I had to learn electronics from the little engineering books Radio Shack used to sell and the big HAM radio ARRL book which had a big video circuitry section.
I did have one of those satellite FTA boxes for awhile though when I got a little older that I bought from some creepy hole in the wall "computer shop", where you just had to download a new bin file when they'd change the encryption codes.

I never got that into things. You've got me beat by a mile.

I remember reading that 9 is synonymous with bad luck in Japanese, so maybe Microsoft skipped 9 just for the Nips. Then again, Japan has a smaller computer population than Ethiopia, so I have no idea if that's true.

Server 2012(w/o R2)

All I mostly did was build the de-scrambler and my versions of the cool spy stuff they would have in the back of magazines like parabolic super microphones that I didn't have money for.

While I learned just enough to get by at the shop and spent all my free time smoking weed.

You still got me beat, friendo, though I did start using slackware pretty early because of that.

I was always interested in Slackwear but it seemed like such a hassle to me that I wound up using Debian. And then Ubuntu when it was just Debian with easy wifi setup, but I went back to Debian.
Actually the thing that got me into alternative operating systems was BeOS which worked good once you figured out which modem commands you had to manual enter in but it always had the lack of software issue with random shit being ported over for it, kinda weird to see it almost exactly the same as Haiku all these years later.

>it seemed like such a hassle to me that I wound up using Debian.

Dude who ran the servers also worked in the shop with us, took the big clients. He taught me how to linux on the down time.

7 8 9

7. Both 8 and vista are better.

Windows 10

Nope they were different.

CE/ME/NT

Win Xp and Win 7

Fuck off, I loved the shit out of ME after using 98 for years.
Also 2000 is fucking better than XP.
XP is fucking shit.

This. 2000 and Vista were better.

To me personally windows 8. It's when microsoft took a huge turn and started developing windows into this weird, half tablet/half desktop awkward shit which doesn't really make sense. It also uses so much system resources for some reason. Windows xp was honestly microsoft's magnum opus, they should've kept it and just updated it instead.