Hey Sup Forums i bought an alienware m14x r1 laptop off craigslist and i am really disappointed with it...

hey Sup Forums i bought an alienware m14x r1 laptop off craigslist and i am really disappointed with it. it cant even run the original far cry, which is a far cry from the game i wanted to play with it, arma 3.

i did all the fixes i found on the internet such as a bios update, driver updates, changing my power settings for performance and switching the default gpu from the internal card to the nvidia card. and it still gets really low unplayable frames on farcry.

the specs are
>ram 6gb
>cpu dual core intel i5-2430m at 2.40ghz
>gpu nvidia geforce gt 555m
>os windows 10 home

i know alien ware is hated but i bought it second hand for $500. any help you can lend would be really appreciated thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-555M-vs-Intel-HD-5500-Mobile-095-GHz/m8224vsm16570
videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GT 555M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>555m

Jesus Christ. How much did you pay? Because you could have got a Lenovo Y50 with a 960m for $600, and that absolutely rapes the 555m.

Why would you even buy a second hand Alienware?

oh i forgot to mention its a 700gb HDD not an SSD

thats because the dgpu is as powerful as a 5th gen iGPU

gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-GT-555M-vs-Intel-HD-5500-Mobile-095-GHz/m8224vsm16570

i spent $500 on it and i bought it because i'm not living and English speaking country and it was easier to get this than to try and communicate with someone who i don't understand about computers.

do you know if you can upgrade the hardware on alienware laptops or am i stuck with this?

>do you know if you can upgrade the hardware on alienware laptops or am i stuck with this?

You bought a gaming laptop.

Used or not, you were fucked from the start.

External GPU nigga.

Aren't alienware one of the most upgradeable newer laptops out there?

How can you upgrade a soldered on GPU?

If its got USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt you might be able to use an eGPU, which has the potential to rape any game you throw at it provided yo got a good card.

>How can you upgrade a soldered on GPU?
Oh

Yeah OP, just listen to this user

videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GT 555M

>it cant even run the original far cry,
>GT555m
I would suggest you look at reloading the machine.

I have a Precision M6300 (T7600/4GB/Quadro 1600M) that runs Far Cry just fine.

In order, I'd:
- Make sure fan vents are clean
- Run memtest for several (3 at least) passes
- Update BIOS on system
- Check to see if Optimus is enabled (and disable it if you're just gaming)
- Run MHDD on spindle (or replace with SSD)
- Re-install OS & drivers

>Wasted 500 dollars on a pre 2010 technology

No words.

I have a same era XPS with the same CPU, RAM and a 525m. I'm able to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas on it. You really fucked up buying it to play games. CPU performance might not have gotten that much better but the GPU performance for laptops has been exponential. That CPU and RAM configuration is the baseline too, we essentially have the same hardware underneath.

>mfw my t420 has a better cpu and more ram and cost not even 1/2 of what yours did.

okayi did most of those other than the memtest which im downloading now and running MHDD on spindle. im not really sure what spindle is, could you elaborate?

also wouldn't optimus give me better gaming performance?

so it is upgradeable?

Did you read what he said?

Optimus is probably a power saving thing so no, and a soldered GPU means it's not upgradable. Install MSI Afterburner and you can overclock the GPU. Not very much though.

>spindle is, could you elaborate?
The hard drive, because it's not an SSD.

> also wouldn't optimus give me better gaming performance?
No. It would give you better battery however. It's designed to run the integrated GPU for most things, and the dedicated as needed. The R1 and initial run R2's has... issues with it.

This.

>6GB ram
>dual core i5
>gt 555m

That's not a gaming laptop.

Alienwares historically have upgradable GPUs but you will need some experience with taking laptops apart and successfully rebuilding them.

He can upgrade it you idiot.

Yes.

Alienwares aren't soldered on last time I checked in my m18x

M18x is a workstation laptop. OP's 14" is a rehashed Dell.

Oh.

You fucked up.

>also wouldn't optimus give me better gaming performance?

No piece of driver optimization or shitty adware you download will make your piece of shit laptop magically run any faster. Face it: You bought a piece of shit for way too much money.

Save up a bit, sell it and buy a better one with researching first and save yourself the trouble of going through 5,000 different "hacks" or shitty "upgrades" that will earn you nothing and cost a shitload of time.

I bought my t420 with dual core i5 2.5 GHz, 8 gb ram and 128 GB SSD for around 268$. Sell this ayy lmao shit.