Hey Sup Forums, without using memes, can you tell me where the future of programming is ?

Hey Sup Forums, without using memes, can you tell me where the future of programming is ?

I am trying to decide where it's best to focus for a future career

JavaScript seems to be taking the spotlight at the moment but as tech moves more and more to IoT and native apps , will it still be that relevant in 5 or 10 years ?

Go seems like a really nice language especially for network programming... could that be a good niche to get into?

What do you think Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

androidauthority.com/we-compiled-fuchsia-os-710491/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Hey Sup Forums, without using memes, can you tell me where the future of programming is ?

Neural networks and machine learning is the new "it" right now.

>JavaScript seems to be taking the spotlight at the moment but as tech moves more and more to IoT and native apps , will it still be that relevant in 5 or 10 years ?
It will still be relevant, but a specific language is hardly a "future". Any good programmer is able to learn a new language and/or framework. You shouldn't be focusing on specific programming languages, you should be more broad than that.

>Go seems like a really nice language especially for network programming... could that be a good niche to get into?
I'm a network programmer, and it's fairly fun. I use mostly C or C++ though, Go is still pretty new but worth learning alongside those two.

>I'm a network programmer, and it's fairly fun. I use mostly C or C++ though, Go is still pretty new but worth learning alongside those two.
What was your path? Did you get a CS degree? Is it incredibly complex compared to, say, front-end web dev?

If you want maximum flexibility with minimal effort, go into C#. NET stack. As a multipurpose language, it's being used in pretty much all industries, and Microsoft (and others) keep updating it to be useful for new stuff as it becomes available.

Gaming? Monogame, Unity, UWP.

Cloud? Azure.

Web? ASP. NET, ASP.NET core, even some C#-to-HTML5/JavaScript compilers

Windows Desktop? Console applications, WPF, UWP

Macintosh? Mono,.NET core, Xamarin

Linux? Mono,.NET core

Android? Xamarin

iOS? Xamarin

Windows Phone? UWP

IoT? Windows 10 for IoT, .NET core

VR/AR? Unity targets all current VR platforms, HoloLens, Windows 10 holographic API (demo'd on Google Project Alloy)

Future use? You can bet the will be some kind of C#.NET development for it at some point.

Are you paid by Microsoft?

>c#
use java instead, it's pretty much the same
the language is a tad bit worse but jvm is way faster than C# CLR. more jobs in java too

>What was your path?
Master thesis in network related stuff.

Worked full-time as a back-end web developer while doing my masters, because of financial reasons.

Now I work as an embedded developer for a company that makes networking probes for IPTV networks.

>Did you get a CS degree?
Yes.

>Is it incredibly complex compared to, say, front-end web dev?
No, it's all a matter of knowledge about the field.

rust

elaborate?

>>Is it incredibly complex compared to, say, front-end web dev?
>No
Say whaaaat

It's the best modern programming language for software that needs to perform. It doesn't have a garbage collector and prevents exploits like buffer overflows.

I've had an RSS feed of IT-related jobs going for a few months now

not a single Rust job anywhere

>Network programming

Could someone elaborate on what exactly this means?

What kind of software does a network programmer write?

>...future of programming
If you want a job right now, go for Java, C# or JavaScript. Rust is not yet mature.

The future is in Dart.

androidauthority.com/we-compiled-fuchsia-os-710491/

>The first thing we can glean about Fuchsia OS is that Dart will play an important role. The current distribution doesn’t include and C compilers or other high level languages like Java, however Dart is there and working.

I'd say figuring out what is worth building (and orchestrating people to do that) is more valuable, rarified, and protected from pajeet-incursion than any kind of actual code-writing. but you'd need a background in programming (and other things) to be able to do it well

>Say whaaaat
It isn't, in essence it's basically just bits on a wire in a specific order. Of course, it's a little more complicated than that, but if you're able to read RFC's and understand how protocols work and you're able to read specs and have a basic knowledge about Linux, libpcap, POSIX sockets and C++, you're able to do what I do for a living.

It's not rocket science.

Javascript is hot because it's the only language which can be truly full stack on the web; so all your code is in one language, whether it's on the frontend or the backend.

Javascript certainly isn't the best language to be using for a backend server, but the combination of a single language stack, and the fact that every new startup is using it means more and more people will learn JS/Node.

This may change with webassembly or whatever, allowing other languages to be compiled for the frontend, but I'm not sure it will catch on, or that people will use JS significantly less.

Overall, JS is a pretty good language to know if you're at all interested in the web. Even if you're mostly doing backend stuff, you might still end up dealing with AJAX or something. Also, check out QT, which uses QML, a language based on Javascript for UI.

>What kind of software does a network programmer write?
Anything from network traffic analysers to network equipment firmware to distributed applications.

Yes, a web developer can technically be called a network programmer, but the term generally refers to system level programmers.

No one really knows. C isn't going away for a long time.

A lot of startups are using Ruby on Rails.

I think Go will be relevant in the future. But you can't call yourself a programmer if you don't have any knowledge of C and Java.

Dart is already dead, dude.

A lot of startups switching from Rails to NodeJS or Phoenix.

>le "dart is dead" meme

Even rocket science is not rocket science if you're being that reductive

bump

>A lot of startups switching from Rails to NodeJS or Phoenix.

We'll be paying that technical debt for the next couple of decades, just like with Java.

Deep learning, big data and IoT

.NET Core is the bomb. Really hoping they keep pushing it and making the tooling better, so we can all drop this Ruby on Rails and Node.js crap for stuff that actually works.

>Go
>Dart
>Angular

Are you faggots really going to put your chips into ANOTHER Google technology, just to have it killed for no reason in a year?

>Deep learning
I don't know enough math for this.
>big data
I don't know enough statistics for this.
>IoT
What technologies would one need to learn to "get into" IoT?

My brain says to not rely on Google but I fall for their memes every time... I really don't want to be their fanboy but it's hard to resist the temptation.

What technical debts?
Say what you want, Rails is very well designed.

I'm rather afraid of all that PHP and JS floating through the internet.. It's not necessarily bad, but it's easier to write bad code in PHP or JS than in an Rails app.

Dart and Angular, sure, but Go is already supported in GCC. Also, it may even be an *improvement* if google stopped dictating go's future, desu.

>deep learning
The core math needed to understand this is worth learning. This really is the future of programming and has already revolutionized several fields, so you may want to give it another shot.

>Getting into IoT
Ideally, IoT should take the same skills as embedded systems--OS design with decent hardware experience.

Realistically, "IoT" is basically 3d printer + shitty android apps. It's a field by retards and for retards.

Rails may be well designed, but no app has ever been written in Rails that you could call 'well designed'.

I would say gitlab is well designed.

Found you Pajeet

>implying a pajeet will know about more than one application for a tool

I actually do network programming in go and make 6 figures.

You be the judge

Until you do an upgrade or it crashes and fucks up the permissions

Do whatever language you will actually take the time to learn. Getting bogged down with where to start is stupid. Learn the basics, learn how to adapt to what you need, find the internal motivation and just do stuff.

>Hey /o/, without using memes, can you tell me where the future of driving is ?

>I am trying to decide where it's best to focus for a future career in pizza delivery

>Priuses seems to be taking the spotlight at the moment but as tech moves more and more to full electric , will it still be that relevant in 5 or 10 years ?

>Tesla seems like a really nice car especially for stop&go milage... could that be a good niche to get into?

>What do you think /o/

No you don't

Half a dozen anime figurines doesn't count as six figures, user

I actually do network programming in ASM and make 9 figures.

You be the judge

I create custom anime toys and I make over 100 figures a year.

Nope. Fuck Microsoft for pushing some technologies then killing them. They've gotten better though, but some things still sting. I developed some awesome shit in Silverlight that's simply not feasible to do in HTML5. But that's dead and gone; moved out over to WPF and accepted that is not going to run in the browser.

You make a good point. Java and C# are similar enough that you may as well learn both and double your usability. I would argue though that their runtime speeds are comparable enough that it likely won't matter for 99% of scenarios.

I also don't buy an absolute assertion that the JVM is faster. C# and 64 bit RyuJIT runtime have a lot of mechanisms for optimization. Of course, it's easy to write shitty code in both languages and have it run like shit, then blame the language and runtime.

perl6

>9 figures
>$100,000,000

fucking idiot

Not Go, thats for sure.
2SLOW 3BLOATD M8

Go has potential, much more than NodeJS for sure, and it already has a serious following.
Golang is easy to pickup with the readable syntax

If you want a mature, popular, easy, useful language, go with Python.
C++ and Java are great, too