/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-vintage-military.html
full30.com/video/1f5255d06a679679eb78c7da923fbfb5
panerai.com/en/collections/watch-collection/radiomir-1940/radiomir-1940-3-days-automatic-acciaio---42mm_pam00655.html
panerai.com/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor-1950/luminor-1950-regatta-3-days-chrono-flyback-automatic-titanio---4_pam00526.html
youtube.com/watch?v=4z2OaWxYZ_U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for watches.

Is it a video? Might be able to read the name in video more easily.

Could be a vintage Waltham. I've seen them do the whole "2 4 6" numerals with odd makers being applied circular indicies.

Gorgeous can you tell me more about this watch?

Actually the name looks shorter than Waltham possibly. Maybe a maker like Benrus would be a better guess. They often has some sort of design or logo accompanying their name on the dial, but sometimes it was alone.

that feelerino when you dont live near any stores who sell brands you want to try on before buying.

I don't need to try on that fossil to know I don't want it.

steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-vintage-military.html

Without sounding too much like a shill while I do.

Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military.
-2824-2 Elaboré movement.
-Sapphire Crystal
-Screw down caseback and crown
-All solid bracelet and end-links
-120 point rotating bezel
-300m WR
-316L Stainless steel case
-Super Luminova hands + dial
-£315/€350/$400

That's the thing in a nutshell.

2 pet peeves about mine.
-The engraving on the caseback rips holy fuck out of my arm when I rotate the bezel.

-End-centre link is squared off, and produces an aesthetic flaw.

But otherwise it's nice enough, wears smaller than my Vostok by a notable margin, but a fair bit larger than my Orient Marshall.
Bezel has nice heavy clicks to it and locks in well.

The AR is near completely useless though. Sat in work the thing might as well be a mirror when I go to check the time, though I am right beneath a fair number of lights, which doesn't help the situation.

Really nice watch for the price though. Only thing that comes near is the Obris Morgan Explorer 2. Which I'm pretty sure is sold out on pre order for the next 5 batches. Wouldn't be surprised if not more.

full30.com/video/1f5255d06a679679eb78c7da923fbfb5
Around 3:35 mark,I have small screen so if you have 1080p you may be able to read it.
watch is possible from the same era as the gun.

It's got pushers for changing the dates and such. From my understanding though you're not really supposed to fuck with a perpetual calendar once it's set. There are certain times of the day where if you even try to change the date you can mess up the movement. The JLC has a little indicator on the dial that tells you the hours when you're not supposed to try and set anything.

you could just ask him
ian answers comments on full30

>mfw I start thinking the people talking about paid Steinhart shills might be right

FYI, ToxicNATOs, despite the crime inducing name, makes the most comfortable NATO or zulu straps I've ever tried by a wide margin.

Clearly a better nylon material than Timefactors, Maratac, Cheapest NATO Straps, or NATO Strap Co.

No matter what the first reply of this thread is people are always going to have a problem with it. Be glad it was at the very least a good looking watch and not an invicta or some fossil-ised dog shit.

*Cringe inducing name, fucking autocorrect.

Contrary to popular believe Ian actually does not waste time on things like this.
I was only interested in it because he never wore watches before and it seems like this may be from the same era and/or some relation to Mauser historically or whatever.

Like vintage American to me with a short name like Benrus or Elgin. Didn't catch a good look in that video

that's something i'm sure he'll answer
it's a new video and i've seen him give time to dumber questions.

who doesn't like talking about their watch?
what the fuck are these threads

He seems like a man who can appreciate quality engineering. So wouldn't be too difficult to think that perhaps he may have a hidden interest in watches.

Could also just be that he takes his watches off before a video as to more easily handle some of the weapons without rubbing off or scratching them against his watch causing damage to both.

FFS and this shit probably cost $25k.

So I just noticed that the second hand on my new quartz GS is misaligned by a tiny fraction of a millimeter. Is it time to kill myself?

into the trash it goes

Could be a miss-beat.
Keep an eye on it. See if it falls in line on the other indices.

Considering my King Penis hands fall precisely on each index, and this shit cost me $180 vs. $1800, I would expect the GS to be absolutely flawless. Take it back to Seiko and tell them to fix it.

>tune into live show
>pretty good until Archie started talking about Trump v. Clinton
FFS wtf Archie...

>the second hand is fixed permanently to the center pinion
Just get the movement out and align it yourselves, jeez.

I think if you pay $2k for a watch, you should not be expected to open it up and fix workmanship deficiencies on your own.

Bring the h8 on faggots.

What hate? We actually pity you, you know the watch is shit yet you are dumb enough to buy it anyways. Enjoy your watch...

>$70 velcro band on ebay
please someone tell me what is so special about this band?

Looks uncomfortable imo

Because it's all NASA-y and shit. I'd get a real Omega strap myself. They've got NATOs for only $200.

Really? Black and red? Are you fucking 13 years old?

No, just not >65. Coincidentally there are 4 other tag watch owners sitting directly around my at work. It also matches my motorcycle.

>lol red and black Tag
>motorcycle
Someone is compensating for something...

>unusable tachymeter scale
>hour sub dial only goes to 10
>hideous

I don't like your watch.

I always have to stop myself from pronouncing it Tag HueHue.

Put your dad's dress shirt away and stop trying to show off the watch your u clean got you for your 13th birthday.

Also, Sup Forums is an 18+ site.

The design is a good start but IMO they should have used apertures rather than too noisy sub dials. A simple YYYY-MM-DD would have been far tidier.

J U D A I S M
U
D
A
I
S
M

Your watch may be the absolutely ugliest POS I've seen in these threads. Novelty quartz watches on Ebay look better than that.

Going on vacation soon and I want to make a good impression on my future in-laws. Ordered a custom pressed suit with initialed cuffs from Ralph Lauren, now I need a watch. I am trying to decide on these two because its the two I always wanted.

Omega - $2000-$2500 used

Sinn - $1000-$1250 used

Of course the Omega is more but I am expected to spend $7-8k on this vacay anyways. What do /k/?

>Ralph Lauren
you fucked up already.

Look into Steinhart.

-ETA 7750, the same movement found in IWC's version of this very same watch
-Sapphire
-better finished than the Sinn
-great customer support that Steinhart is known for
-731+30 shipping if you are in the US

Overall a better value than both.

Are they all a bunch of niggers who are only impressed by material goods or something?

dang they look expensive

you shouldn't wear any of those with a suit.

They are ~$15 each but the material is so much Goddamn nicer than the other companies that I'm actually pretty blown away.

A Speedmaster is for life.

For a dress watch I would recommend a white face, it is clashes less with your white shirt which of course is so starched you can cut yourself and white enough to come with a pair of shades.

wtf?

If it were a

>Ralph Lauren
>good impression
Pffffhahahaha.
Don't wear sport watches with a suit, wear a fucking dress watch.

Look man its on sale, and it looks decent. The same one from Armani would have been $3500.

If they aren't watch people they will probably only be impressed by a Tag Heuer or Rolex. For sure the average joe isn't going to be impressed by Sinn since it's basically an unknown brand. Sadly even if you buy an Omega they probably won't even know the brand.

Omega is pretty strongly marketed with James Bond. People who are somewhat brand-aware may know it. And they got their shit all over the Olympics.

But yeah, in general if you want to try to impress non-watch people it's all about that Rolex coronet.

I agree the Seamaster is a well known watch due the bond movies. However few people will recognise a Speedmaster.

Also even though people will recognise the Seamaster, they only know it as "that watch bond wears" and won't even know the actual name of the brand.

>keeping track of which watch you wear during a specific lay
>keeping your watch on during sex
This guy.

>not taking off your watch like a gentleman

Why do you have to wear a suit on fucking vacation?
Get a Zegna one, Armani si shit.

I know literally 0 about vintage watches and recently I've started to search around.

1. Is the Seiko Sehorse a good watch?
2. Any other models to look after?

Need to have a split second chronograph for timing sex events

Just for a few nights, and the Polo is done at a discount outlet.

I smirked a little.

>custom pressed suit
How do you press a suit so it's considered custom?

What kind of vacation is it? Don't get near the pool still wearing that Speedmaster.

Custom pressed meaning it needs to be pressed/ironed every time I wear it. And I only plan on using it twice this vacation.

Also no I will not get whatever watch wet...

Seiko has a whole bunch of vintage watches from the 60's-70's that are pretty good

Seahorse being one, skyliner, sportsmen, lord matic, lord marvel, A heap of King seiko

Just don't buy from India or Thailand. A good place to start might be a king Quartz, pretty cheap, a quartz so you won't have to worry about servicing it when you get it and above all the are very reliable and accurate, old mechanical watches can be a pain sometimes

The AR is designed to help it read underwater only IIRC the OVM has the same AR as the Seamaster so saying the OVM is useless is like saying the Seamaster is useless. I do agree with you in that its a nice watch for the price, were else can you buy a custom Swiss made watch for $320(us buyers only).

A gentleman will need cufflinks.

>custom Swiss made
The shilling just keeps getting more and more funny.

>custom
>somehow able to set a date on a watch with no date
Okay Haans...

>Germany
>Haans
>not Mohammed

Germany is not located in the middle east in case you some how got confused. Its the country where all of the high quality cars like Mercedes and BMW comes from.

For someone to not know anything about Germany is kinda sad.

that's €320
it comes out to just under $400 with shipping for US buyers

how can one be this oblivious

I've really gotten into Panerai recently.
This thing is fucking beautiful:
panerai.com/en/collections/watch-collection/radiomir-1940/radiomir-1940-3-days-automatic-acciaio---42mm_pam00655.html

The Luminor Regatta is amazing as well. Shame it's fucking enormous and I've got tiny wrists.
panerai.com/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor-1950/luminor-1950-regatta-3-days-chrono-flyback-automatic-titanio---4_pam00526.html

He could have just googled Germany and know where its located.

Why not just comment in the youtube video and ask frigging Ian?

youtube.com/watch?v=4z2OaWxYZ_U

They have to pay for the omega they use in the advertising picture

I guess they don't realise that it takes air from the other side of the filter as well

Why doesn't anyone ever tried to make a Damascus Steel watch? Is it because it would have been too expensive to do so?

My condolences.

I don't stop myself.
Look on

jesus christ dude, come the fuck on

That literally look like crap, no wonder...

Have you ever tried this thing called Google? It's pretty fucking sick, you can find all sorts of stuff using it.

Proving to them you are a try hard won't work in your favour.
Try /fa/
Seriously though they won't give a shit about you as long as daughter dearest is happy and not living in a crackhouse

They did ask me if I had a suit, however a part of me is considering saving money and getting an Orient Gold Bambino for those nights. And I'll use my Turtle for everything else, if I lose the $350 Turlte or $130 Bambino its no big deal.

I work at an american engineering firm and this is the trend I have noticed. The >$200 watches that young people between 20-30 year olds are basically all Tag Heurers. I've talked to some of them and they basically bought them for the brand and don't know anything about watches. They are also mainly Chinese or Indian that have been living here for most of their life (not FOBs). Some of them don't even know that their watch is mechanical and assume it's quartz. The older folks generally don't care about watches at all and just wear Seiko quartz, Casio G-Shocks, or random mall quartz watches like Michael Kors. The only older person I've seen with an expensive watch wears a Breitling chronograph.

>used to work for Ben Bridge over the Christmas break
>people buys a watch a few days before xmas
>comes back on the 26 saying that they are disappointed that their Aquaracer is not working
I think at this point the manager decided to only carry Quartz Tags. I am kinda disappointed though its a great watch, and after explaining things to the customer they seem to like it even more.

I usually never post about it because /wt/ loves to shit on them but I really like and own a Panerai.

Holy shit that case shape is disgusting.

How much of a fucking faggot can you be to be scared of posting the watch you own and like in the watch thread you lurk?

For serious enthusiasts rightly so. They were the start of the gaudy oversized watch trend and they had an image rebrand when a new ceo took over. All the pretty much did was Jack the price up to give it the appearance of luxury

I'm not being pretentious, I personally don't mind them, but I could definetly see why someone would dislike them