NETGEAR Orbi

What does Sup Forums thing of the NETGEAR Orbi?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B012ZNMUL6
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_(telecommunications)
lightower.com/company/news/press-releases/rcn-metro-expands-network-into-concord-new-hampshire/
lightower.com/network-map/
windstreambusiness.com/shop/products/nh/concord
windstreambusiness.com/products/enterprise-network-services/dedicated-internet-services/ethernet-internet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just another shitty consumer grade AP.

It's tri band wifi?

The multiple access points seems pretty cool. Good for large houses. Seems like both pieces would work out of the box compared to getting two different routers and configuring a bridge or whatever.

>USB2.0

No one really uses their routers USB port right? I put an 8GB flash drive with some installers but no media.

Repeater mode APs are always a terrible idea It doesn't matter how many bands it uses.

>Lets rebroadcast traffic that's already all broadcast.

Did you see the picture? It uses the beam to get through lots of walls. Only then does the repeater broadcast to those connected to it instead of the main router

It's still just two routers.
The "beam" which isn't actually a focused beam is just the first router broadcasting on three channels all over the place which the second router receives and repeats. The 3rd and special channel is a 5GHz MU-MIMO broadcast the second router can receive that helps make up for the usual halved bandwidth you wind up with when you use another router as a repeater.
It sounds good but I am just skeptical of it because the special channel uses 5GHz, which has a harder time getting through walls and other obstacles than 2.4GHz.
The higher the frequency, the more a signal is going to reflect and be blocked by objects which is why satellite dishes have to be outside.

So the beam forming technology by 802.11ac is a complete hoax?

I'm about to move to a new basement in a couple weeks and I need something like a repeater, and now you have me worried.

That is a hellova house to have a single car garage.

Get OP related if the signal gets dropped in the basement.

Get a powerline adapter. They have lower lag than I could have imagined.

I need a one device solution that sits in my room and only my room. I can't go upstairs into the landlord's property and plant my tech up there. I also need the ability to convert the wireless point into a wired connection for my desktop computer, plus an extra port for a console or unpredictable emergency use.

See above, I can't go upstairs to the landlord's property to install some shit.

Does this make my to-be purchase more justified? Is it even a good one?

No it helps but it isn't nearly as drastic an improvement as something with a real directional antenna.

You would probably get the best performance from just using a router as your WIFI dongle, some can just do this but you may have to flash it with dd-wrt.
Best would be a router like setup this with a directional antenna attached.

If you want to spend 3x what you should be spending on a Wi-Fi router for the cool factor, eero is a better choice.

For one, eero actually does what it says it does (seemless high-power router-extender network with hand-offs between router/extenders).

If the landlord really won't let you just plug in the thing next to the current router and connect it I don't think you'll be able to have much of a healthy relationship with them.

Unless it has an actual directinal antenna yes

bruh

He's really nice but I don't like the idea of intrusion into property where I'm not really allowed into. I really don't want to call someone up when the power gets knocked out at 2am and wake the whole house up and ask them to sync the shit up. The point is, the setup needs to be independent. And who am I to know they have a socket free or willing to sacrifice a socket for me and sling a cable to it.

I don't see how this thing is any better than any other repeater

You could make this sweet piece of technology work.

amazon.com/gp/product/B012ZNMUL6

I don't know if it's better, why I was curious if it's even a good one. It's gotta be one device, plugs into wall (or USB powered), and have 2 connection ports.

Why are you trying to leech of his router?

You should have your own separate line. You're allowed to have a telephone line and cable television, yes? Same thing for Internet and cabletv

Just get your own line and have it fed to your apartment.

Yes, even a basement apartment.

BTW, basement apartments, while quiet, are bad for your psyche. If you lean in any way at all towards depression, look for something else.

Trust me on this. I learned the hard way.

Depression really? Lack of light or something?

Almost any router will do this.

I said

>hard way

Losing 75 pounds by simply not eating because of depression is an effective way to lose weight, but it's the absolute worst way to do it.

And had a heart attack as a result. Among other things.

So I mean it, I learned the hard way.

they usually have lots of mold causing upper respiratory infections

>more expensive
>half the speed
Gonna pass on that one.

What do you mean leech? It's a basement rent and it's a miracle that the affordable asking price includes internet with unlimited cap. There's no telephone line because I don't think anyone uses home telephones anymore, and there is probably no television cable because I don't even watch TV.

But is it portable? I don't want an actual home router.

>It's still just two routers.
You dont know what a router or the OSI model is do you?

>Lack of light or something?

Lack of light

Lack of anything cuing your circadian rhythm

It can fuck you up.

When normies say "router" they usually mean a multi-function device that provides several other functions in addition to routing.

>normies
>acting as an authority on technology
pick one

>they usually have lots of mold causing upper respiratory infections

Former basement dweller here...

They can. You must use a dehumidifier especially in the summer.

Never again.

And I'll never live directly under a roof either. Heat being re-radiated from the sun into your apartment at 2am keeping your apartment at 30-34C with weak-ass air conditioning is torture.

I mean that you should have your own line so you and your landlord don't have any conflicts about who is using up the bandwidth.

Internet is cheap enough.

Also, if the old copper is there, by law you should be able to plug in a phone and get 911 even if nobody is paying a bill. The phone co. has to support it. (which is why Verizon was ripping out copper without asking when they came to put in fiber for people).

You have the right to have communications to/from your apartment. Get your own line.

Not a bad idea but it isn't new or innovative, it has been done before. Ubiquiti and eero both did this before.

>I mean that you should have your own line so you and your landlord don't have any conflicts about who is using up the bandwidth.

Furthermore, if your landlord is resistant to you getting your own line, use the above logic. It will convince him/her.

If not, then you need to not sign the lease. Because there will be other, more irritating issues.

>and your landlord don't have any conflicts about who is using up the bandwidth
Not an issue, I just need a wall socket solution that can convert the house's wireless into wired for my computer, and have spare ports for a USB external drive and a console connection.

>Internet is cheap enough
How do you know where I live

I just want alternatives to the TP Link traveling mini router with repeater stuff before I buy that.

>How do you know where I live

Because internet isn't a luxury anymore.

Unlimited internet is close to $100. If I was made of money I wouldn't be looking for a basement.

>Unlimited internet is close to $100.

so don't get "unlimited" top-tier.

Duh.

I pay for a business account, which is 80 bucks where I live. I don't have to, but it's a business expense and I write it off, so I can have "come fix my shit now" service.

Post a url here of your local provider and maybe one of us will help you pick out the right one.

It's around $80-$85 for any plan with unlimited usage, add tax and it's $96. Not counting activation fees or needing to rent a jew router or buy a compatible router. I can't even tell if this is satire, all this shit for a problem that is not relevant to this in any way what so ever.

>"business class" cable/dsl
>fix my shit now
lol no you dont have a SLA at $80 a month, nor do you have fix my shit now. All you got was a line which doesnt have port blocking. Go look in to metro ethernet if you want a SLA, and think you can demand your service provider to fix your shit now. Then compare the prices for metro ethernet to your rebranded consumer grade service.

he's fucking right and you know it.
What do you call those modem/router hybrids that connect you to a phone line, provide DSL and route packets to your computers(since most of them have multiple ethernet ports)?.
we call then routers
everyone I know calls them routers, even people who work in telecommunications

>metro ethernet

Does not even exist here. At all.

The best service anyone can get here in Concord NH is to go with (un)Fairpoint, who will actually come out and fix it if you do indeed figure out it's the DSLAM outside and they will talk to you like a human being. Unlike Comcast, who will jerk you around and send you a tech that hits on your daughter (true story).

Even though Xfinity is faster, we will never have Comcast in this house ever again.

>i cant follow a thread
and its called a gateway
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_(telecommunications)

lightower.com/company/news/press-releases/rcn-metro-expands-network-into-concord-new-hampshire/

>lightower.com/company/news/press-releases/rcn-metro-expands-network-into-concord-new-hampshire/

They never did it. They never came to Concord.

RCN is not to be found here. I can look out my back yard and see the gold dome (with all the scaffolding on it since they're repairing the gold leaf) of the Capitol building. So it's not like I live out in the sticks or anything (the whole urban area is 3 miles across at its widest).

They never put in a goddamned thing. Because if they did, I would have gone with them. Because I've dealt with them in the past and had been good to me.

Just because there's a press release doesn't mean anything happened.

Their network map contradicts you
lightower.com/network-map/

And here is another provider
windstreambusiness.com/shop/products/nh/concord
windstreambusiness.com/products/enterprise-network-services/dedicated-internet-services/ethernet-internet

And ignoring that there are always T1s/T3s and other telecom services