Shit posting device suggestions

I'm looking at getting a cheap laptop/chromebook/anythingbook so I'm able to have a cheap device running Linux while away from home for basic uses. Is there anything you guys recommend? Struggling to find anything cheap and worthwhile. Definitely thinking about a chromebook, but I'm unsure if I'm gonna stitch myself up...

see pic related

So long story short, don't buy an iPhone

Its not even a phone thread...

Its only like 180-200 now
Update that image nugga

Bitch all you want about the paint, it looked incredible and it's basically the same phone as the iPhone 5/SE. Although you could also opt for a 4 for slightly less, still a great value

I'm not even mad

Grab an old ThinkPad. I got 4 T41s with Lubuntu installed for $40 on eBay

I own the Toshiba Chromebook 2 with Linux installed (the one in the picture).

It runs linux quite well, but consider that it only has 16gb internal storage. Since you are planning to use it away from home, you should consider that it might be unisuitable if you need large files/programming environments/whatever

I'm aware of the storage size, and when I say away from home most of that time will be at my partners house. So it's not an overly larger concern. Although you do bring up a good point.

I'm not too informed with Thinkpads, what are some other models youreself/others would suggest? Can't find too many of the model you mentioned and confused by whatever else I'm seeing

>be toshiba
>shamelessly copy the macbook
>sell laptop for 80% less than macbook
>become the people's champ

I run it w/ xfce, works quite good, although it is badly optimized (I use crouton so I have got Chrome OS and Ubuntu running simultaneously). Web browsers like firefox load quite slow though, and I prefer Chrome OS for surfing.

And the display is wicked good, it's a bliss having a good wallpaper or looking at pictures.

The keyboard though is quite... average and becomes really tiring to type on after some time. It has very little travel and a bad pressure point. It really can't hold up to other laptop's keyboards.

If you aren't familiar already, stick with T_ _ _ series. If you want a portable go for T60, T410. If you wan't a bigger screen grab a T510

Forgot to mention: It even runs Minecraft playable at 1080p with OptiFine installed.

Also the touchpad isn't too good to use with Linux - tapping to click takes half a second to respond, and the clicking itself takes way more pressure and energy than it should and is load. It is accurate though.

Also be aware that you don't have the F11 and F12 keys, delete etc. can be emulated though (by pressing search + del, home&end through search + left/right arrow key. Works really well.)

As silly as it sounds, I can be pretty fussy with the keyboards! Would be nice to see one in store (or any chromebook) to e able to get a feel for. Sounds like it'd be a decent investment for the price though.

Too easy, starting to find a few models now. Is there any benefit over buying a Thinkpad than a cheap netbook or laptop? Obviously with older specs, I'd be interested why people choose them over other options.

Build and repairability alone make them worth it. You can't feel any flex on the monitor even when trying to twist it, steel rollcage protecting the LCD and motherboard, cheap to buy online, upgradable CPU and LCD. They're the best secondary machines without making compromise, and being able to modernize them with new components adds to the value

I recommend the 2016 MacBook with Retina display.

Too bad Toshiba is fucking shit

Perfect

Oh wow! That actually does sounds pretty impressive. Might actually be something that will satisfy my needs.

Feels good, man

This is a chink tablet with attachable keyboard.
X5-z8300 quad core
4gb ram
64gb emmc storage
1440p screen
10,000mah battery
USB 3, usb2, HDMI, micro USB and microsd slots.
~5-6 hours at maximum brightness and close to 10 at low brightness. I've not gone over 25% brightness inside because it burns my retinas.

Downside: included charger a shit. Doesn't charge while in use and charges slowly when powered off. Bought a quick charge 3.0 charger and that's sorted now.

It's bretty eggselend so far. Just over £200.

Got one of these given to me. It is good enough for shit posting.

That is Windows Vista.

Dell chromebook 11, the new one. It is awesome, rugged, durable. I installed linux on it, love the keyboard.

>for Linux
CherryTrail isn't an option.

It also comes as dual boot windows/android but it sucks a bit. Ive read people got mint and reactos running though.

afaik none of the drivers work for it, audio wifi bluetooth power management..

T420 with 1 250ssd and 1T hard disk, and you are fine for the rest of you life