/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B005HGM1D6/ref=pd_bxgy_267_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CQEWGNT8Q6WR5GX8M5M2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What are HD600 alternatives at that price point?

Looking at the 400is and wondering if I should open my wallet or not.

>Wireless is frowned upon.
shit thread, report and move on

Let me repeat myself:

I'm looking for wireless in-ear headphones that I can use longer than 8 hours. More like 12+... I don't want to fucking recharge my headphones during the day.

I work in a lab (boring work) for about 8 hours and would like it not to be straight out empty when I come home.

There are none, a battery life of that size and duration would need you to carry a battery brick everywhere.

People have advised me to buy a short extension cable to prevent my headphone cable from breaking.

This doesn't exist. There is no reason you can't use wired headphones.
Even BT dac/amps with huge batteries last 8 hours or less.

KKYS.

I was told here on /hpg/ that HD600 is the best headphone ever made and there is no upgrade, only sidegrades

and when was the last time Sup Forums was right about anything?

I was talking about this. A higher quality iem lets you replace the cabels if they break.

Contrary to what the rest of /hpg/ might tell you, the LG Tone models have quite the battery life to them. Some of them sound quite nice as well.
They are more bulky, and they have that neckband fit style.

>What are HD600 alternatives at that price point?
>Is the 400i better than the hd600s? About to open my wallet.
DT880, K612, K702, K712, Shure SRH1540, HD 650, X2 and many others.
There is always some sort of compromise to a headphone and some sort of flaw to them. Pick the one that bothers you the least and make the most of it.

DT 880, Fidelio X2, HE400S

what do you guys recommend for earbud?
I had some skullcandy, the sound was good but they always broke after 6 month.
Have any idea of a good pair for 40$?

e10

damn my skullcanyd earbuds have been going strong for 2 years now.

gonna take the e10c since it's for listening to music and audiobook at work
Thanks dude

Got 3 pair of earbuds from skullcandy
1 titan, right bud died after 7 months
1 ink'd died after 3 months
another ink'd with a dead right bud after 5 months
I used them 9 hours per day while moving tho

Shit OP for a shit thread.

Is there a speakers general? I need some speakers for creation and music mainly.

I'm around the $300 range

There's speaker threads sometimes and if you posted there they'd recommend you a jbl lrs305
Look into them

Does it come with a sub and will it need an amp?

JVC marshmallows, get 4 pairs of them and replace when necessary
Use real monitors for real audio

Mackie MR5/6/whatever size you want
If you're creating music then you would rather have a large monitor (like 8") setup than small monitors+sub. Powered monitors are the only speakers you should be looking at for that price point so you won't need an amp

Opinion on KRK RP8G3-NA Rokit 8 ?

If you could go to $500, I would say the Emotiva Air Motiv 6 is a solid choice. Since the 6 is $500 I wouldn't recommend the smaller sizes because they're not much cheaper considering how much less powerful they are in general.

I've used them for a while at a small studio, they're pretty good for more bass-heavy music listening. If you're mixing on them you may end up with mixes that are slightly lean but you can adjust the bass on the units until you're confident you know where they are in relation to neutral speakers. This was with the Generation 2, not sure what is different in the new ones.

They're actually great, but they're just overpriced yellow memes

I'm looking for something with a decent amount of bass, not too much though.

And need some crisp sounding stuff.

Current headphones (DT770 pro 32ohm) have hair in driver than I cant get out, chip in cup liner and a jack that ive had to replace. Ive repaired her ~4 times over the past 6 years and love her to death but Im thinking it may be time to have a second on deck when the dark finally takes her.

Budget: $200
Source: No DAQ, computer or phone
Preferred type of headphone ---
Open or closed: Closed (Work in loud lab & create content in quiet invironement so need good but isolating)
Comfort level : extream (im used to dt770pro cloud cushion lvls
Preferred tonal balance: As balanced as possible
Past headphones:
1st SteelSeries Siberia: fuck plastic: fuck built in mic, mmm i like big pads
2nd & current: DT770 Pro 32ohm:
Love the sturdy construction, wish the cups were made of a stronger material because they chipped where the pads attach to the cups (still usable).
Love the material and feel of the pads
Hate that hair gets in the drivers so easily
Dislike that the cable is not detachable (ive modded mine to be detachable, would do it on next pair if needed)
Like that they keep my ears warm
Like the sound of them but know little else
Like that they isolate well
Like the comfort of the leather wrap on the metal band but dislike that it gets oily & mats my hair down (I do clean them on the reg)
I dont really care about the lay down flat feature but I will be getting a hard case for my next pair.
Overall id give the DT770 pro a 9/10, wish hair didn't get stuck and wish the cable detached.

Looking for another headphone lover.
AKG K553 pro is on massdrop atm but Id be fine going elsewhere to get what would suit me the best.
Thoughts?

>Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
>Wireless is frowned upon.
>Headset requests are frowned upon.

But why?

Just... don't

I legitimately don't understand why that's in the op.

What's wrong with headsets? I'm using an LG one that's really good for the price.

What's wrong with wireless? I don't notice a difference in audio quality with my speakers when I use Bluetooth or an aux cable.

I am genuinely confused why it's "frowned upon "

I'll pretend you're not baiting for a moment. Just ignore them because you can ask whatever you want that's headphone related here, ok?

Don't buy ATH-M*0Xs. They're utter shit. They sound as flat as if you placed a couple of layers of printing paper between your ear and the drivers.

If you want bass get a pair of V-MODAS if you want neutral get a pair of Sennheisers.

Why do you start this shit in every thread?

anyone care to throw some info in?

Alright, well, my earphones are frayed as fuck and I'm looking for a cheap wireless in ear replacement since it'll have less wire, so it'll be less likely to fray.

Do Bluetooth earphones under 30 usd sound decent? How about Chinese ones like meizu?

This is my first time asking though? I'm genuinely curious why op included those lines.

Both wireless and headsets don't focus on audio quality as a primary focus.

Audio quality shouldn't be the only factor you consider when buying earphones.

You can buy $5 chink earphones that sound just as good as $50 earphones but with significantly inferior build quality.

Plus wireless has other conveniences too. It being wireless so it can't get caught in nearby objects, or having 10m range from your device for example.

Headsets have much better microphone quality than regular shitty headphones with a tiny microphone, and are better value for people who need something to use at a computer for voice chat or recording shit than a dedicated microphone and headphone.

there is really only two things i would consider. for soundstage, akg k702. For something that splits the difference, beyerdynamic dt880. But for outright low distortion, you will not beat an hd600.

besides the akg, MSR7 (not sure about extreme comfort) or HP50. Both aren't exactly neutral, but relatively balanced. Slightly over $200

Or maybe you can get an HM5 or XPT100? Neutral, comfy with huge pads, kinda big though

Just know the 770 has more bass than those mentioned above

How good is sennheiser ie800? I need something close to hd800 for road trips and when I am at work. I am listen mostly heroic orchestra (TSFH, Audiomachine, etc.) And like crisp sound not mudded shit like in hd600. Would ie800 work?

That jackass tries to pick a fight every thread.

That's like saying why have a Koenigsegg One when you can have a 1990 gold plated Volkswagen bug with a fog horn and light up rims for the same money.

You're fucking retarded.

That doesn't even make sense.
Have a cookie sandwich

Does this look fake to anyone else? The wire can't be removed

>That doesn't even make sense.
Not the same user but it makes perfect sense if you pulled your head out of your ass. Headphones exist for one purpose: to reproduce sound.

Google any of those cars and you'll understand what I mean you illiterate.

My desk space is small as fuck, If I were to keep Rokit 8's behind me on some stands would that be fine/comfortable? or would it be better if the studio monitors to be in front of me and on my desk?

How is that retarded?

When the fuck did this wireless faggotry even start popping up in these threads? I don't remember people defending this crap even a few months ago. Fucking wireless, low fidelity garbage makes me cringe.

Soon enough we will have people legitimately defend Beats because they need a pair of headphones that's ''socially acceptable'' or some shit like that.

If all you care about is sound reproduction, why aren't you using powerful speakers instead of tiny headphones?

Fact is, there's more to consider than just sound quality. Funnily enough though, modern wireless headphones can support lossless audio with aptx. So even if your argument is sound quality, that's an obsolete argument

>When the fuck did this wireless faggotry even start popping up in these threads?
A week or two ago. We had this one jackass who ignored every argument and citation who filled multiple threads with shitpost after shitpost.

>If all you care about is sound reproduction, why aren't you using powerful speakers instead of tiny headphones?
You assume I don't use both? Speakers at home and headphones when not at home?

>I want to substitute raw power and speed with bells and whistles and useless shit that no sane person cares for
>That doesn't even make sense
These are the people that are arguing for wireless headset shit.

So you don't see the convenience in having 10m range with your headphones or not having a 1.2m wire dangling of the side of your head?

>he thinks Bluetooth is still significantly inferior
What is aptX

Maybe I'm going to catch flak for this but:
I have two sets of Vmoda headphones, the M100 which are in great condition that I currently use (got for $140 new on amazon)
Vmoda crossfade LP (or LP2 or M80, I forget) which are overused, but functional.

I'm thinking if reselling the M100s for ~$140-$170, and trading the old LP2s for an$85 coupon on vmoda.com, then using that sum + ~$90 to pick up the Crossfade Wireless.

I'd use the Wireless for the same reasons I use the M100s, primarily comfort, gaming (bluetooth with two sources would be really convenient), for mobile use (in between classes), and sleeping.

I use MSR7s + DAC/AMP for best SQ, so don't grill me on the importance of SQ.

Worth it? How do the Wireless compare to the M100s?
Wireless are hybrid so can be wired as well, figure SQ will be the same as M100s in that scenario.

Show me a headset or any bluetooth crap that can rival HD800s or planar headphones that Audeze has to offer. Till then, fuck off.

You want to spend money on something that _might_ be as good as the wired version and assume all the added burdens that comes with wireless?

I'm new to this, what do these wires do? i'm seeing them in the customers also bought section when selecting my speakers.

amazon.com/Hosa-CMP-159-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B005HGM1D6/ref=pd_bxgy_267_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CQEWGNT8Q6WR5GX8M5M2

I can't follow who is pro wireless here and who is not. I can't even follow who is being serious when arguing against wireless because of the terrible fucking knee jerk reasoning and analogies that don't work. Everyone calm your autism and quit intentionally shitting up the thread.

It's literally the first thing in the amazon description: "This cable is designed to connect an audio device with a mini stereo phone output to pro audio gear with unbalanced phone inputs. It is ideal for connecting an iPod, laptop, or similar device to a mixing console"

They provide connection between stereo plugs and a 3.5mm plug, e.g. hooking up your smartphone to your home entertainment system.

Yeah but these are very small and thin compared to normal audio jacks that I put into my phone and pc

>might be as good
From what I've read, the difference is fairly close.

>added burdens
In most scenarios where I'd use them, SQ isn't the only factor, meaning I don't need the best SQ for that pricepoint. But here is my list of pros and cons so far
Pros:
>Battery life is 12 hours so not bad.
>Makes moving around the house while listening to music way easier.
>Don't need music source close to bed
>Easy dual-source setup. BT connection to TV or PS4 or receiver (for game sounds) + wired to DAC/AMP (for music).
>if wires break, not fucked. (I go through cables too quickly)
>gym life is easier (wired in ears worked fine for me except for shadowboxing, but with over-ears sweat will be a much bigger problem)
>Mobility

Cons:
>interference
>extra components prone to failure (Vmoda has lifetime warranty so this will be inconvenient but not costly)
>Wireless means can't use my own DAC. If onboard DAC is good (mine isn't high end) maybe negligible
>wireless means compression. Not sure how noticeable this will be.

That's where I'm at right now.

>What is aptX
Something that you have to pay extra for which means lower audio quality.

You're an idiot

>>Battery life is 12 hours so not bad.
Battery a pro?

>Makes moving around the house while listening to music way easier.
Enjoy your interference. I get the odd stutter with my bluetooth adapter and that's with the source two feet away from the adapter.

>I go through cables too quickly
Why?

>comparing a shitty Bluetooth adapter to vmoda wireless headphones

What kind of DAC and receiver do you think Vmoda uses in their wireless headphones? Something similar if not the exact same as you can get in a wireless adapter?

Literally anything better than your piece of shit adapter

>Battery a pro
No, what I meant is that at 12 hours, the battery life won't be limiting.

>interference
This was my biggest concern, and I'm not sure how bad it is with these particular headphones and the BT sources I have, I figure I'll use the wireless with my phone or smartwatch.

>cables
I'm a clumsy person, due to a medical condition.
I went through three cables in a few months.
Slammed plug into a car door, snapping it
Bent another plug with my ass.
Dropped laptop on it's side while plugged in, snapped another plug.

How old is your image? I don't think you can find a 4.1 BT adapter with an antenna. At least not one made outside of China.

>convenience
like the convenience of crouching next to a wall socket every time the battery drains on my wireless headphones?

Like the convenience of watching my phone battery run dry because of the massive bitrate that it's sending through bluetooth?

Like the convenience not even being usable with my Fiio X3?

I just want to fucking slap you.

>No, what I meant is that at 12 hours, the battery life won't be limiting.
Less of a con isn't still a con?

>I'm a clumsy person, due to a medical condition.
Then perhaps you might go with a cheaper route and buy an adapter and a short cable (or just a male to male plug for your wired vmodas. IIRC they use a typical 3.5mm plug for the detachable cable.

You're an idiot

Feel free to fuck off if you're just going to shitpost.

You too, idiot

>less of a con
As far as I know, the battery only affects how long I can use it wirelessly without a charge. Since 12 hours is max, I'm going to estimate I'll get 9 hours. Since these would be my secondary set, MSR7s being primary, then I won't use them for 9 hours straight at any point. Fast charge is 30 minutes for ~3 hours of use, so I don't consider battery a con in this case, because the negative (limited use) is not, in my case, applicable.

>adapter
Considered this for sure. Concern is that adapter is clunkier and possibly of lower quality. But I'll look into it.
>short cable
I actually just bought another short cable, but the M100s have a recessed jack so if the housing for the plug is greater than 6 mm, the cable doesn't fit. So I need like..shitty beats or something.

Cost-wise, $10-$25 for an adapter + $7 for cable that fits (harder to find) or ~$12 for cable with mic/volume control = $17-$39 total out of pocket. Possibly have to replace cable/adapter in the future.

Alternatively, $85 trade-in value from unused LP2s + $140 from M100s +$90 for versatility of wireless plus included cable. $90 out of pocket, in this case don't have to worry about replacing the cable.

Don't get the adapter, they have worse sound quality than legit Bluetooth headphones for some reason.

Noticeably worse

>As far as I know, the battery only affects how long I can use it wirelessly without a charge.
The battery is another thing to break and an extra cost.

>of lower quality
Manufacturers of wireless headphones are not going to spend any more money on the circuitry for wireless headphones than it takes to adhere to the standards they advertise. The same holds true for adapters.

>Possibly have to replace cable/adapter in the future.
Aren't you just as if not more likely to break the headphones than a cable/adapter?

Source: My ass

Your ass has some very nice sauce you're spreading on this thread ;-)

>thing to brake
Not a monetary cost, Vmoda repair is free.

>Manufacturers
I agree with you, this is generally true. But I'm asking about this pair specifically.

>break the headphones
Scuff or otherwise nick them, yes. Not break though, especially not V-moda build quality.

>Not a monetary cost
Why do you think you are paying an extra $90 for?

>Vmoda repair is free
I wasn't aware Vmoda sold headphones with a lifetime warranty.

I'm going to be in Japan in a couple of months. Any recommendations on what I should pick up?

>Budget
$200USD

>Location
Japan (travel)

>Source
Probably pick up a nice DAC / amp combo while I'm there as well.

>Preferred type of headphone
full sized.

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Doesn't matter.

>Preferred tonal balance
Warm.

>Past headphones
At the moment... some crappy wireless in ears.

I just bought myself HD 598, can my titan-x run this at 24000hz?

No, but seriously. I bought some HD 598 because I wanted open cans with huge soundscape and good overall performance without the need of an amp or something.

Now I knew these are not bass heavy, and I'm not a basshead, so I thought I would not mind it. But they have no sub bass at all. Like literally zero. Like, the part where the bass should come, it's just the background and no bass.

Are they broken? Can I do some EQ magic to fix it? Do I really need an amp for 50ohm cans? Have I fooled myself by going from sony mdr-xb500's to HD598's and thinking I wouldn't miss the bass?

How would you fix this problem? Or is there even a problem? Please help... This was a huge investment for me and I kinda regret it.

Last time I was there even their domestic consumer goods (read: Sony and Audio-Technica headphones) were more expensive than you can get them in the US. Though you can go to any department store or electronics goods store (like Yamada denki) and have a good selection of headphones to audition.

Yeah, I've bought some in a Yodabashi camera before. The rack of headphones is pretty nice to try out.

If you didn't get the SE 598's that means you're probably using the long cable, get a shorter cable or get an amp.

Nope, not the SE version.

Can the cable leangth really have that much of an impact on it?

Thanks anyway. What would you say is the cheapest bass boosted amp that would do the trick?

I recently got the SE and it has the long cable and short 1.5m cable or w/e, and i definitely noticed that it sounded very differently.

but who knows i could be an idiot.

Nice double-dubdubs

I'm currently reading myself into amps and stuff too see what fits my needs. But I think more than 50€ will kill my budget :/

>extra $90
Full price breakdown. Extra cost=EC

Problems to solve
>mobility
>dualsource
Dual source is PS4 + DAC. PS4 spotify streaming is garbage, and the headphone jack through the controller is BT anyway. I've done PS4 optical into receiver, then output from receiver + DAC to headphones with a splitter cable. Got nasty feedback. Currently, I have no configuration that doesn't give me feedback using MSR7s. M100s have two jacks, so I could use two lines (receiver one side, DAC on the other) with presumably no problems, with another cable.

Solutions:
>$7 audio only cable, fit for M100 is nuisance to find but w/e

>$12 3-button control, inline mic and volume

Limited in mobility while dualsourcing. Likely a repeat purchase given my history. Cheapest upfront.

>BT adapter ($12-$30)
Can't find one that fits the M100. Moot point until I find one.

>Crossfade Wireless (~$90)
Most convenient. Wired to DAC for analog SQ with music, BT to PS4 for game sounds, OR analog to receiver for no SQ loss anywhere. Comes with cable with volume control on the headphones.

>lifetime warranty
it's 2 years all-inclusive (particularly manufacturer defects) , but mechanical repairs outside of warranty are free.

Ideally, I'd find a way to setup MSR7s with both the ps4 and dac but whatever.
In any case, I'll need to acquire a 3.5mm cable that fits the M100.

So EC for the Wireless is $90-$7 = $83, or $76 if considering mic + volume control cable instead.

If I want the mobility of wireless, adapter is $15. I can functionally forego a cable if I get an adapter so minimum cost here is $15.
EC is $75 against the adapter, $68 or $63 if I want a cable as well.

Based on what I am in the market for, extra cost is max $83 and min $63. Unique to the headphones solution is I make use of the trade-in value of my old headphones, which are otherwise worthless, custom engraving/color scheme from vmoda included, lifetime repairs, max comfort, remove need for replacement cables.

Why are you trying to justify your purchase to Sup Forums? It sounds like your headphones are a great choice for you. They suit your needs! That's awesome, seriously. So keep using them. Fuck

Haven't purchased them yet. Wanted to know if there's something about them I don't know/if someone here has experience with them.

Then I tried to be as clear as possible about it because "wireless" triggers OP.

If you're a gym guy you should definelty go with some blutooth

Sound magic e80 ($55) or hifiman re-400 ($60) for a neutral IEM? I would get the hf5 but they are out of my budget. It seems like the re-400 might sound better, but it is it worth dealing with potential build quality issues?

Why are headset requests frowned upon?
What's wrong with headsets?

>Can't find one
You cannot find a BT adapter that connects to a standard 3.5mm stereo plug?

"Gamer" tax
Fragile
Usually shit drivers

Did you miss where I mentioned the M100s are recessed so anything with >6mm housing doesn't fit?

The 770s are awesome, I have the 80 ohm version I love them. The 880s are better for mixing but for close headphones the dt770s are really solid