You guys done any cool stuff with arduinos? Looking to get into them

You guys done any cool stuff with arduinos? Looking to get into them

No, but same. Thinking about making a small, ghetto 3d printer using hot glue.
Do you know the difference between raspberry pi and arduino microcontroller?

They're really pointless unless you wanna make an expensive as fuck light switch or some useless shit like that

rpi runs a full linux, has hdmi and usb and stuff. Arduino just runs a C script in a loop and outputs or detects 5v on a bunch of ports, so you have to wire your own electronics and drive them.

I bought a big ass linear actuator and made an app to open my sliding glass door.

thanks for the info
and that's pretty cool mane

About to turn one of those wii guitars into an actual instrument with one.
Although I'm not sure if I should use an Arduino or a raspi

sounds like embedded system so arduino

It is embedded, however I'm afraid the single-threadedness will mess it up.
Also, raspberry pi would allow me to easily use premade instuments, whereas the arduino doesn't. I did find a Synth library but my musical knowledge is too non-existant, so I should find a pdf about that shit first, and I think it wouldn't give me much playing freedom. I also thought of playing from an sd card, but the reader I got only works when it feels like it.

There isn't much you can do with a classic Arduino, it's a very limited 8-bit CPU with a bare minimum of memory and peripherals.

Better get a Cortex-M0/M3/M4 devkit like FRDM series from NXP or DISCOVERY from STM if you want to work with bare metal, or a Raspberry Pi if you want Linux. (Avoid more obscure RPi-like devkits like Odroid since the software support is typically a PITA even for an experienced user)

I know jack shit about the internals of a Wii guitar, but Arduino is likely going to be useless for that purpose unless you're a recently unfrozen C64 era assembly demigod.

want to get into electronic projects myself. You can buy some cheap fake aurduinos from gearbest. The schematics are available so I think the only difference is quality of components

I'm running an odroid as my main shit server after replacing a rpi2.
The only problem I had was that when you install arch the audio is owned by root or something similar. Wasn't too hard to solve, and other than that no problems.
Heard they're trying to get kernel 4.7 to run on it, but haven't checked the progress in a while.

Data sent are most likely some random ints, works over i2c and already have the adaptors ready, just have to start working on it.
I'm just so afraid of breaking my rpi. I wouldn't care about breaking an arduino, but it has better onboard safety.

>There isn't much you can do with a classic Arduino
This isn't true, even 8b MCUs can be very useful to control other electronic projects. Often times you don't need too much more than a few PWMs, some GPIO and maybe some sort of serial data link.

There is also difference in where the money will go. All official Arduinos and derivatives use some of the money to fund the whole Arduino project. Chinese knock-offs just take it for themselves.

a digital reverb/delay

a synthesizer with some cool filters and FM
a distortion thing

I am getting into analog stuff tho

That's basically what I'm talking about, you can only barely go beyond basic discrete I/O. There are Cortex-M devkits that cost just a few bucks more and are pin-compatible with the same Arduino shields, but give you far better PWM, analog I/O and DMA, plus an order of magnitude more memory and processing power so you can do stuff like realtime audio synthesis.
Yes, Arduino is absolutely enough for tons of tasks, but if you just want to poke around with a microcontroller and do some cool stuff, why limit yourself? Plus, programming experience with a Cortex-M is going to be more valuable on the job market than with an ancient 8-bit Atmel (and Arduino's cute but extremely limited API)

I'd imagine sound generation (especially with wavetable synthesis) is going to be a far more complex task than getting data from the toy guitar. Well, if you're doing it yourself and not just using a premade library.

Not OP, but it should be pretty simple to write a small Karplus-Strong synthesizer in AVR assembly. Dunno if the Arduino can handle synthesizing that and outputting relatively high sample rate audio in real time though. An ARM processor like a Cortex-M0 would give him way more headroom and allow for better quality effects probably.

Classic Arduino can probably handle one or two channels with proper optimization, but it has no DAC at all, so you'd have to improvise using PWM and likely end up with Covox quality sound.

The now-discontinued Arduino Due had a proper DAC, but it was a completely different core (Cortex-M3) so the API was broken.

see this guy
buy STM discovery boards (32bit) if you're not into electronics soldering yourself. never buy olimex - the discovery board I have is already the seventh revision and its still not right (e.g. double pull resistors on reset line), and the documentation is bad in really evil way - like the pin numbers not matching up to the imprints on the board, the oscillator outputting 25mhz instead of 40 and such things

ps if you do buy any stm32 mcu or discovery boards, dont cheap out on the programmer, get a real stm usb programmer. anything else will give you headaches.

Dedicated DAC chips are always an option, and not too costly.

I bought one of those 90s under-monitor power switches (CPU, monitor, printer, AUX1 AUX2 etc) that I'm going to turn into a web-enabled power controller/router rebooter. The basic idea is to ping an address and if the response times out X times in a row, power-cycle the router.

After that I have a few goofy ideas about binaural beats and hypnotic blinkenlights but that's just offjerkitry.

I made a deployable motion sensor ala Battlefield. Now I'm working on making a throwable or at least somewhat durable housing and incorporating an orientation sensor to match to magnetic north so I can see about getting a government contract under SBIR bucks.

i had a different experience with olimex.

i own their maple knockoff, jtag(tiny-h), and their 20 pin to 10 pin converter. got it working fine with openocd, and crossworks. it has helped me many times to upload bootloader and do stepwise debugging.

then i bought a jlink. still messing with it, but it works great as well with segger software