twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

AYYYYMDFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

>14nm SOI FinFET
>SMT8 reduced to SMT4
>24 physical cores per die up from 12
>50% or greater uplift in throughput at equal frequency

I'm glad they stopped being so silly.

can it run doom?

Several hundred instances of it at once. Yes.

I want to curl up in a blanket that looks exactly like this.

it looks like a carpet

Dam that's the most awesome die I have ever seen

Pascal looks pretty neat too, although nowhere near as cozy as this.

well poomd will have 32 cores so whatever

looks like a dollar bill

I'll nut if I can buy a 2S POWER9 workstation.

MEMES

It's not for poorfags.

Why are you both jumping on my dick i was just talking how it looks.
Find something else to do fucking kids

X86 and POWER happily coexist in most of the market. POWER8 has a very specific niche in plowing the fuck through certain financial workloads faster than anything else, they have crazy FPU performance per core, even beating intel's latest Xeons here. Want a high volume trading machine or something for handling crazy NSA databases? Buy a POWER rack.
They're only drawback has been power consumption. Particularly when you account for the off die cache's power draw. The 14nm SOI process improves upon this considerably, and having more physical cores vs logical threads reduces time to complete a given workload, dropping net power.

Hope you've got $10,000 laying around, plus money for storage. For an entry level system.

It's like someplace in DC, but I don't see any masonic imagery hidden in it. I'm assuming these die shots are all false color. IBM chose a good palette.

>Hope you've got $10,000 laying around
Nice price you pulled straight out of your ass since IBM no longer makes POWER workstations.
>plus money for storage
What special storage do I need for this besides none?

Don't try to challenge people who know more than you, tech illiterate retard.
anandtech.com/show/9567/the-power-8-review-challenging-the-intel-xeon-/17

>Hope you've got $10,000 laying around, plus money for storage. For an entry level system.
That's actually not bad considering Tyan's OpenPOWER (8 based) reference system runs $2,700.

That's a rackmount server, you stupid fucking moron. And I still don't see what you think is special about the storage. That it's SAS? You know SAS controllers are typically compatible with SATA, right?

>this tech illiterate retard is still going

You go right ahead and hook up your shit tier consumer storage in your enterprise system. See how well that works out.
Enterprise grade storage is more expensive for a reason.

www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/?lnk=mpr_buit&lnk2=learn

I guess I found the poster boy for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Looks like a eerie map of Prypiat.

No, he's right. You're the one suffering from your five dollar word. IBM never made POWER based workstations, so that's beside the point. The do make POWER based servers just like they have always done.

>This guy knows more than I do
>better immediately get defensive and shitpost!

Yeah, you're most definitely underage. You made a childish post opining about your want for a dual socket system. I showed explicit pricing for a dual socket system. The form factor is irrelevant, enterprise pricing is enterprise pricing. They're not cheap. $10,000 was not a guessed figure.

Again, go on thinking you're going to throw a bunch of budget consumer WD drives in your enterprise grade system.

>No, he's right.
No, he's not. He's not right about anything.
>IBM never made POWER based workstations
Oh is that so, fucktard?
>The do make POWER based servers just like they have always done.
The fuck is your point?
I'm being trolled, right? No one can be this stupid.

I'll retract my statement about the workstations, but they definitely still make and sell servers. It looks like they killed the IntelliStation off around the same time Apple stopped using PowerPC.

fixstars sold a yellowdog linux powerstation when linux on the ps3 was a thing, but no more

>but they definitely still make and sell servers.
I didn't say differently.
>It looks like they killed the IntelliStation off around the same time Apple stopped using PowerPC.
They stopped production about 2009.

Cell and Apple's G5 were both based off POWER 4. According to Wikipedia there was a POWER 5 based model, but they stopped making IntelliStations after that.

>but they definitely still make and sell servers.
I didn't say differently.
True, but the guy you replied to never mention workstations. In fact, he was talking about racks.

He replied to my post about workstations, this was always about workstations and never about rackmount gear.

>muh imaginary dual socket workstation would magically be drastically cheaper than virtually the same hardware in a different configuration

Have you been officially diagnosed on part of the autism spectrum or what?

OK well then I'm lost on who is who.
disregard me senpai

It's a CPU.

(carpet processing unit)

does this mean that power8 workstation is obsolete before launch?

>storage
What the fuck do you think you need for a workstation? A goddamn 42U SSD array? Shit's not a big DB server, you can definitely get by just fine on one or two reasonably mid-priced SAS disks.

What is with Sup Forums's collective obsession with all things IBM and simultaneous fuck all knowledge about it? AIX and POWER practically started on workstations, and hipsters jerk it to "a e s t h e t i c" RS/6k CAD boxes all day long on this shithole.

Not until a POWER9 system comes out to replace it.

Those things weren't built for speed anyway, they were built for security, they can't hold a candle to the "real" stuff.

can it mine bitcoins?

But Sup Forums told me that IBM was dead

based on market cap, they're just as big as intel. you never really hear about ibm because they're busy actually getting shit done. ever use any bank ever? thanks ibm

the greater Sup Forums collective can't see beyond consumer garbage and thinks that's all they ever made

even hardware-wise, IBM is just back to where it was around the '70s; another word for "mainframe"

kek
youtube.com/watch?v=jOcD6bTdzZQ

They made a rat computer last year you dunce

What Power 8 workstation are you referring to? Is it from the Open Power initiative?

no one use power except sys admin that likes doing shit from scratch.

Do you have that picture with higher resolution?

More like RIP ARM and RIP MIPS.

He's talking about the Talos "secure" workstation board that's posted about on here occasionally.

So is this going to be introduced at $30,000 like their 8 core Power 8 or higher?