/de/ Desktop Environments

Which Linux DE's does Sup Forums use and why?

I for myself use Xfce4 cuz low RAM usage

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/flat-round-system/512/archlinux-128.png
youtube.com/watch?v=SOXeXauRAm0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

budgie: beta, next-gen polished
cinnamon: stable, polished but fugly
lxqt: beta, next-gen lightweight
xfce: stable, lightweight, needs a lot of tweaking

thats my current conclusion after years of hopping, switching, trying, experimenting... i cant keep count of the combinations of distro and de ive tried

feel kinda the same

lately tried Pantheon - nice and clean but slow

I just use a TTY because GNU/Linux only really excels as a server, I use a real desktop operating system for my daily computing and work rather than a bastardized server OS.

i agree with "linux is a server os" but theres so much wrong with windows from the filesystem through the core to the gui that a server os is a better desktop os than windows is

LXDE
does the job right

Windows kernel runs native linux binaries faster than Linux can though so it can't be that bad.

Cinnamon

last time I used cinnamon it was an unstable mess
never again

GNOME. It is solid as a rock, fast and super fucking easy to customise.

I don't?

I only use openbox and tint2

Gnome Master Race.

What a coincidence. I had the same experience using your mom.

that was uncalled for now wasnt it :(

GNOME master race

Might switch to unity 8 though if it's good and I can somehow emulate the desktop management and get rid of all the title bar buttons (don't need min and max).

>1716x928
nice vm

Xfce. It's simple and stable.

LXDE is nice but a bit too basic (PCManFM lacks custom actions, for example).

GNOME is prettier, but most GNOME applications are absolute shit.

Some KDE applications are great but using KDE is a crashing mess.

>install LXDE
>install Thunar
>remove PcManFM

KDE is an over-engineered mess. Tooltips popping up everywhere, bouncing ball launcher feedback, etc. who the fuck comes up with this stuff?

I'm more of an XFCE guy myself

>for example

exactly. every time you click on an item in the system settings, you get an hourglass cursor for 0.5 seconds. or if you change settings, there's a popup "Applying settings" for 2 seconds.

Why use XFCE when MATE and LXQT exist?

your computer must be pretty shit or you've only used older versions, plasma is incredibly snappy for me

What terminal emulator is that?

Because I want to stick with what I know. Is Mate really better? I've heard that it's less customizable

looks like standard gnome-terminal

I wanted to use Fvwm2 but am way too lazy to learn to rice it to my liking, so I just installed Xfce and found a classic Mac OS theme

Ratpoison does barely 1mb of RAM usage and is comfy so that's what I use.

Unity, because it looks like Windows 7, and it has a nice design. Flat shit is so boring, I like shades, shadows, gradients! Not a 3 minute Paint job with a fill bucket.

>Using a WM developed by an SJW cuckold

Where is your bull?

Mah nigga.

I really don't like most of the desktop environments. I understand the nice themability and interoperability benefits, but I really like this deal with starting out from barebones and building up just what interactions I need as I need them.

It would be nice if I could find a better file manager than SpaceFM though.

KDE Plasma, because my PC is not 20 yo and I can spare some resources to have good UX and great apps.

Come at me.

is that the snes simcity opening bg?

Not sure, here is the wallpaper though

i dislike mate because the espanol names for everything es stupido

and lxqt is beta

hmm, doesnt seem to be. thx though, gave me an idea

>2016
>not having the menu that can search all files
>tfw only unity and kde has this
btw KDW on Manjaro master race

how into this panel on the bottom side + this cute Arch icon?

Are you having fun today? You are good at trolling aren't you?

Haha, okay buddy, have fun. Just remember you have school tomorrow but in 2 more wake-ups we get to go to the McDonalds Playland!

I'm thinking of switching to KDE, but everyone shits on it non-stop. What's the deal?

I usually use XFCE, but want something more easily tweakable and modern. Trying Gnome right now, not digging it.

The biggest thing for me is customizing the aesthetics. I need to be able to make every aspect of the display the exact right color, and every icon the exact right icon. Even the color of highlighting words.

I was going to try KDE or Cinnamon or something next, but there seems to be hate on for KDE, and Cinnamon I've tried before but the some of the colors I could not figure out how to change.

decent computer with ArchLinux, tested it last week.

have you tried Xfce? now that's snappy. I don't need bouncing cursors because everything opens instantly

Testing KDE atm. Gnome is better.

Massive dependencies and regularly updated. Bandwidth.

If you have interntet or don't care then it is decent but full DEs like that are for normies

I found the Arch icon from here:

cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/flat-round-system/512/archlinux-128.png

For the panel I'm using the following plugins:

Audio Mixer
Power Manager Plugin
Notification area

You can see the icon theme in my screenfetch

Not some GTK shit.

I use Cinnamon.

I like the Menu, I like the panel, I like the little animations when switching between workspaces it runs more stable on my system and uses less RAM than something like GNOME or KDE.

Yeah but I dont know how to make my own DE so it doesn't look like donkey vomit.

>1819MiB/7848MiB

Wew

you should at least give it a test run, just don't use the kubuntu version it's shit
kde has great default apps and everything can be tweaked, most of it through gui menus
i've used both, xfce is definitely faster but everything on my kde install (ssd) opens pretty much instantly as well
it does take longer to boot though

I was going to get pantheon. How slow is it compared to others?

HTOP reports a more accurate 2.5G

If I turn off Chromium it goes to like 700 M

Unused RAM is wasted RAM though user. Still have 6 gigs to run 2 lil virtual machines running their own lil qt distros with chromium opened (who in their right mind would do that though)

I'm in love with Gnome, but at the moment I use KDE. I enjoy these two, and use them both. Xfce in my opinion feels stagnate. I've messed around with the "hip" tiling wm's of the gnu-community, but it's so hipsterish... Mate is OK enough, like an old friend. I used to prefer gnome 2 over kde 3, but today, mate is to me like a revived corps. Mate is a zombie.

>lappy

xD

Xfxe with material design themed WM/icons looks clean if that is your thing. I wish someone would make a nice theming tool for one of the frameworks.

A tiling WM has less of this problem if you can get over the learning curve (pretty easy by comparison to other Sup Forums standards)

Hahaha, mind if I save this?

it's all yours my friend :)

hahaha, great pic

>230 MiB is low

Can you post that wallpaper?

does bottom panel auto hide? can you get top panel on the bottom?

thunar never done me wrong.nemo is alright too

is this the RAM management thread?
could someone explain all these spawned processes eating up RAM?

press T

is vm bad?

youtube.com/watch?v=SOXeXauRAm0

does Linus use GNOME ?

I'm having a really hard time adapting to linux, there's too many desktop types (or DE's i'm assuming they are called) to pick from, all having something that I like.

I like Elementary OS for how "simply" and "OSX"-like it is, but I don't like the fact it wants me to not use the desktop or the tabs that go directly to where I was when I closed out.

I like MATE, but it's a little too technical to set up how I want it.

I like Gnome (or rather the Gnome classic option I got at log in), but I couldn't figure out how to put things on the desktop or have a dock like like if I could get this theme with a few clicks then I think we'd have a winner.

What do, Sup Forums?

pic very unrelated

With Linux, there a lot of things to fuck around with. You could try docky or cairo dock with something like Ubuntu gnome. Learn how to install applications through the terminal...

It's Streets of Rage for Genesis

post wallpaper my dude