/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.ca/3704788
ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
koolaid.drink
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hello world

obvious samefag is obvious

So I want to try Linux, but there are so many different Linuxes to choose from. Which one is the BEST? Please help.

the one I'm using

So few IP addresses...

>"I'm a noob, I want something that just werks"
Ubuntu or one of the variants (Kubuntu, Xubuntu...) They're all the same, except for a different desktop environment.
>"I wanna do everything myself and be bleeding edge"
Arch or Gentoo
>"I wanna be bleeding edge, but I don't wanna built it myself"
Fedora
>"Who gives a shit how current it is, I want something that doesn't break or change"
Debian stable, CentOS

I noticed there are always two instances of systemd running here (one for the user and another for root). Is that how it's supposed to be or is it wasting resources?

yes
no

Try killing one to see if it's important or not.

you have one that mongles your system and the other mongles your user session

Been siting on this for a few days now.Attempting on building firefox from source.
Link is the backtrace and below that is the build options.

I couldnt find anything relating to libthread and libxul
pastebin.ca/3704788

Looks like you're infected with Trojan:0pointer.vir a common keylogger.
Run this command:
cat ~/.bash_history
If you can see some resent keystrokes, you're infected.

Was my Linux hacked by the NSA? I dont remember installing this.

I read that microcode is teh devil and that it contains backdoors. True?

install gentoo

He can also just type `history`. Scary!

Why are no Xorg terminals anywhere close to as fast/responsive as the TTY? I tried weston-terminal on Weston and it was just as fast. Is X just inherently sluggish, or is it some setting (perhaps to do with keyboard input)?

Terminal emulators try to emulate a lot of old features to be as compatible as fuck (which is basically a good thing). If you want speed, try something suckless like "st" or write your own emulator just using the basics.

First off, those backticks are seriously evil since they will execute the whole history.
Second, those backticks are seriously evil, deprecated and suck. Use $() instead.

I do use st. It's not significantly faster than urxvt, xterm or gnome-terminal. If those 3 are like 90-100 on the speed scale, the TTY/Linux console or whatever it's called and weston-terminal are like 200.

I see no difference in speed on my machine

A friend of mine want's to try "Linux" and I suggested Manjaro. Did I do it right?
>Ubuntu: canonical marketing cancer
>Mint: insecure crap, old packages
>Fedora: being red hats testuser (cuck)
>Arch: noncomfy installation, bloat
>Debian: noncomfy install for newcomers

breddy good first step, but it's always a good idea to switch (maybe later) to a base distro, in this case arch

How many days will this take?

I don't think someone who doesn't know shit about distros besides memes should be giving advice on the topic.

>pastebin.ca/3704788
Maybe start by just trying to build firefox from your distro's source package and go from there? What distro are you using?

microcode is often software that is fed to a piece of hardware while initializing it and often contains the firmware the device runs during the rest of its operations. Manufacturers like intel like to design certain parts of what their hardware does using microcode to make it possible to fix errors later in addition to the reduced cost of not needing an extra ROM chip.

This is considered a grey area by GNU and other free software groups because this microcode is often provided without source. While the code isn't actually run by the kernel or the operating system (and, for the most part, CANT because it's not anything like machine code that these levels can understand) it is still software that you use without access to the source.

You probably haven't been hacked, but you now have to make an ethical decision about how much you care about protecting your freedoms.

Y'all distrohoppers basically just need to install four distros:

Ubuntu: Debian that doesn't suck, made by faggots.
Profit: Know how Debian works and why Canonical is niggers.

Manjaro: Arch that doesn't suck, made by people who tell their users to turn back their system clock to fix problems.
Profit: Know how Arch works and why it doesn't deserve any of it's fame when even kids like Manjaro devs can make it better.

Fedora: Know how RHEL and all the other "enterprise" Linux crap works.
Profit: Not really.

Gentoo: Know the heavenly skillz of portage and how it feels like to have a completly customized system to your needs.
Profit: Workkout while packages are compiling and get /fit/

Thanks for listening.

If he isn't a complete retard Manjaro is a good choice, otherwise the #1 babby Linux is always Ubunutu.

When I boot it says my USB ports are drawing too much power with nothing plugged into them

Fugg

I forgot to add it doesn't do it on a fresh install, only after installing updates.

>Manjaro
opinion discarded

Hi /fglt/, I'm using Ubuntu and since it's based on Debian, is it possible to turn it into a Debian Sid witout problems? Would changing the sources.list just werk?

I want to install Debian Sid. According to the Wiki, you can either install it directly using the Mini.iso installer, or install a minimal stable system, upgrade, then install everything else you need.
>1st attempt:
>run minimal.iso
>installer fails and stops half way through

>2nd attempt:
>install minimal system
>upgrade
>use tasksel to install the tasks I want
>tasksel fails and fills the screen with error messages

What do I do now?

no. Ubuntu =/= Debian
mixing the two is 100% guaranteed to break your system.

>debian
found your problem

Basically, rule over the thumb, you can install any Debian version. Then you edit your sources.list and change it to unstable. That's basically it. Oh, and dist-upgrade.

if I want to run something other than stable, I install stable, go into /etc/apt/sources.list, change it to what I want, then apt update && apt dist-upgrade.

the installer and tasksel and such don't really get much ongoing testing in unstable until the freeze before a release, they tend to break in my experience

see

I see. Is this what people call "frankendebian"?
I keep seeing this term.

So if I want Debian, I need to do a fresh install? If so, could you point me to the correct iso so I can have Debian Sid?

read the thread nigga, there is no debian-sid distro, you need to change your repos

No, that's not Frankendebian

ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

but see

Frankendebian is when you add Ubuntu, Kali or Mint repos to your debian install and basically fuck it up.

Thank you!

I don't like this method at all.
The upgrade installs a gigabyte of additional packages, throws a lot of "can't remove folder X cause it isn't empty" warnings, and leaves a lot of orphaned stuff behind.
Left me in a working system afterwards, but it just feels wrong.

/fglt/ approved distros (updated now):

newfag? Ubuntu

autist? Arch

oldfag? Gentoo

oh and if you use mini.iso, you need to hit the "advanced options" menu entry before installation to select unstable.

apt-get autoremove

also it's the development branch, of course it's not gonna be properly cleaned up. Testing is usually better.

well-adjusted, employed individual? OpneSUSE

testing sucks, I want security updates in-time

it's the upgrade to Testing that does all this.
Upgrading from Testing to Unstable is a short and painless process. They're similar.

>unironically using OpenPEPE

Why the hell do people prefer Funtoo over Gentoo?

>well-adjusted, employed individual?
No need for /fglt/ approved distro since they wouldn't come here anyway.

>not letting KEK run your computer

>well-adjusted, employed individual
Windows 10 users are not welcome here.

Hoid dei Fotzn, elendiga Saukrippel.

Which DE should I use alongside i3? Or should I just use the WM? I've been running i3 w/ Xfce for a while now but I'd like some change, especially given how Xfce hasn't had updates in years.

KDE because thumbnails.

Shouldn't you be prepping your wife's refugee bull?

I can't stop distro hopping, I want to try everything to see what kind of oob experience they give. I easily get pissed when I'm not able to change the default DE and just delete everything

>ubuntu
>debian that doesn't suck
Only problem woth deb I have are outdated packages and the shitty process of changing to testing or unstable and the fact they keep telling you how dangerous that is, every single step

>manjaro
really pretty default theme, but the installation always fucked up the clockpart and never managed to set it up properly which makes it impossible to update or install anything over pacman. I also wasn't able to change the time because it kept bugging out

>fedora
there's not a single thing I like about ot,any normal person needs to add rpmfusion right at the start and the distro always felt slow overall

>gentoo
the infamous installation isn't hard, but long and tedious. Only tried installing it once on a laptop which had a broadcom wireless card that required proprietary firmware. After setting up the kernel, it wouldn't even detect the card even though I made sure to enable it in the kernel. Never got past that point because no internet

>that "shit" spike at 2.6.32
I understand completely.

What was bad about it? I wasn't using Linux back then

>debian
Oh c'mon. Chaning one word in a txt file isn't difficult.

>manjaro
didn't discover such problems, could you be more specific?

>fedora
tbqh who is even using fedora...

>gentoo
why didn't you try the vanilla kernel?

>tbqh
What is this new meme about?

>While the code isn't actually run by the kernel or the operating system (and, for the most part, CANT because it's not anything like machine code that these levels can understand) it is still software that you use without access to the source.
>You probably haven't been hacked, but you now have to make an ethical decision about how much you care about protecting your freedoms.

Are you aware that your "freedumbs" argument is full of shit? What do you think the CPU is? It's proprietary. Its code is (mostly) hardwired. Microcode is just an extension of that.

If you don't want microcode, don't fucking use proprietary chips, period.

This distinction between a proprietary drivers that run on top of proprietary hardware that you have no source for is fucking stupid.

2.6 was filled with ancient legacy code. The switch to version 3.0 was a clusterfuck. Tried lots of Kernels from 3.0 till 3.2 and none worked for me. I think it started working again at 3.4.

His clearly said the microcode isn't being run by the kernel

yea I'll admit the deb one, I might've fucked something up the last time I tried it

>could you be more specific
from my understanding, one should use NTP for time sync if he's dualbooting, so that"s what I did. For some reason manjaro kept fucking up the time, kept setting up the hour incorrectly(an hour behind) even if the timezone was correct. The same also transfered over to Windows as well, on every boot Windows would have the same incorrect time until I synced it. It stayed fine as long as I didn't boot to Manjaro again

Now the problem that comes with this is that you can't update or install anything because pacman can't sign the keys and update the keyring, since the time is incorrect

>vanilla kernel
what do you mean? I followed the gentoo handbook guide and as far as I know I had to edit the kernel to at least enable support for broadcom cards

>Arch that doesn't suck
Nope, actually the memes are real. Their keyring fucked up my system yesterday, had to re-install manjaro.

Another Debian question:

--no-install-recommends
Yes or no?

I only get this error after I install and do the first round of updates, before then I can reboot just fine.

Meh, usually you end up installing most recommendations anyway. The muh bloat meme is kinda retarded.

>yes
something won't work properly
>no
bloated system

How do i close all ports on linux except the ssh port and the port 80?

How do I into system wide audio processing Sup Forums?
I know about the eq plugins for Jack/Pulse, but I want a parametric equalizer and sofalizer, ffmpeg can provide both (and I use both with mpv) but I don't know how I could make that system wide

#ufw deny from * to any port *
#ufw allow from * to any port 22
#ufw allow from * to any port 80

I noticed ubuntu server offers dns server package, why would i want to ran my own dns server?

Oh neat that works exactly like .htaccess

You don't select it if you don't want it

It should work theoratically, check your settings

No i want to know why would i run my own dns server? like what is the point?

You should mail Shuttleworth and tell him to remove it from the repos, since you don't need it.

I don't think he phrased it properly see

The people who actually run the DNS servers need an OS, too.
That OS is probably Linux.
Debian packages pretty much everything available in the Linux world.
Ubuntu gets its packages from Debian.

Let's say you are a sys admin in a cult town, where to prevent the corruption of the cult memebers they have no internet and only use intranet.. now the cult memebers want to have their own websites but nobody wants to go to websites by typing 192.168.1.50 that is fucking retarded, so you can set up your own local dns server and then the cult internet goers can simply use koolaid.drink instead

Is it possible to change a 32 bit distro install into a 64 bit? basically i changed the cpu in my computer for one supporting hw virtualization so i can now run 64b guests and i don¨t want to have to reinstall the entire distro and have to configure that shit again

Dhaka?

I work in PC repairs, and want to incorporate more linux, but I don't know linux versions for many of the tools I need.

Can someone recommend me a HDD testing tool (scanning for dead sectors), and a way to efficiently make and flash disk images?
Being easy to use is a huge plus.

Thanks, friends.

Install Gentoo

So, small update-
I managed to log in.
I'd like to thank the anons who gave me some tips on helping me out, such as checking password mispells, and whether I installed a testing version.

Loaded it up, pword didn't work, rebooted, went into GRUB console, set pword as 1234 and then rebooted once more.

New set one didn't fly, but the old one I set in actually worked.

Weird, ain't it?

Also, the other thing I find weird is that there's not a handful of links out there with this kind of error.

Okay so i finished the ubuntu server install, but it never asked me for a root poassword, does that mean anyone can now login as root because its password is blank?

The root password is probably "root"
but yes, that's essentially the same.
Change your password.

wot? the root acc is locked by default you pooper

How do I backup/snapshot my fresh install?
My lsblk
Is like this
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 255M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 29.3G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 432.5G 0 part /home
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.8G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

>sda4 1K
triggered

Interesting with GParted, sda 4 is listed as 3.8G not 1K.
I think it's related to SWAP.

I got this after trying the infected Classic shell from fosshub under WINE.
How do I fix this? And how did it mange to do so in the first place?
Doesn't this require elevated privileges?

that would have been so much better if you had to complete a small text adventure to continue the system boot