Can an HP connect to wireless in any way if you remove the RF Module / Wireless Card?

Can an HP connect to wireless in any way if you remove the RF Module / Wireless Card?

I took this out of an hp, want to make sure that it's unable to physically connect to the internet. Am I good?

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2015/07/researchers-hack-air-gapped-computer-simple-cell-phone/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lol no

Really? What do I do then?

no

no, it can't, or no it still can?

no

I'm asking because I can't seem to find a way to search online that answers this question. Every question is about replacing a card or achieving connectivity. I want the opposite.

'No it can still connect', or 'no it can't connect now'?

Sorry, I should have worded my first question more clearly.

Bump

Can, or can't it still connect? Some people please answer this. Thanks.

no

holy shit go back to

I'm not trying to troll or whatever. It's an honest question. A simple answer would be cool.

Yes it can, that's a Mini-PCI card which is pretty standard for most older laptops

There's a 3G modem in the chipset.
Remove it.

Thank you.

How can it still connect then, and what could I do to remove its physical capacity to connect at all? It's an HP Envy laptop if that helps.

Spray wd-40 on the motherboard to block the integrated bluetooth.

Not sure where to find this. Currently trying to find any info.

bump

with the card removed, it says no connections available. where exactly is this connectivity?

no

HP has whitelists in the BIOS which limits the cards you can swap in.

That's what you get for buying non-free hardware.

>Going to far as the remove your wireless card just so you can enjoy your CP

For fuck sake man just move somewhere it isn't illegal

It's not anything like that, it's to do with spyware that has connected my computer even when I have airplane mode on.

I like to have a work computer that doesn't connect at all.

Yeah, it doesn't need to connect.

This was proven years and years ago, all you need is an infected PC (your other ones that do connect) and a USB stick you use to transfer the files and you're fucked.

More importantly, why are you using a laptop at all if you're concerned about this?
Build a desktop with a clean store bought win7, install minimum drivers and buy a couple 100 packs of DVDs. Only transfer off the desktop, never on.

Not trying to swap anything, just want anything that allows a connection to be removed or off.

pull the plug

Wait, any USB stick can connect it? Or external harddrive? Like does having an external plugged into usb fuck me? How?

I will probably do what you say there when I have the time. In the meantime, what can I possibly do?

Can the power adaptor carry a connection? Because the comp doesn't have an ethernet port at all.

no

>This was proven years and years ago, all you need is an infected PC (your other ones that do connect) and a USB stick you use to transfer the files and you're fucked.

How does this work and how do I get around it?

>Can the power adaptor carry a connection?
I think you are too dumb to be using computers.

>Can the power adaptor carry a connection?
microwave time 2.0

I'm sure it doesn't, obviously. Listen, I'm not tech savvy - I just haven't taken the time to really learn much about tech. I wish I have now, fwiw.

Install temple

oh you better be careful then someone could hack your hairdrier through its power cord

please answer this. thanks man.

so does lenovo

Being this autistic about preventing malware isn't the right approach.

All you need to do is not open random fucking files off the internet and you're protected from 99.9% of viruses that affect people

Turn off the fucking "hide file extensions" option in Windows

If you download a song and it turns out to be an exe, don't fucking run it

That's it, you're golden

You're not anywhere near important enough for a hacker to bother hacking you

And even then the only reliable way one could get access is if you're dumb enough to run an exe from an email attachment you get from a stranger

practice common sense, don't download random shit, use an adblock program to remove false download buttons off filehost websites, and you're good

I don't know why I'm talking about this, you're just going to ignore me and ask if someone can upload malware to your laptop by flashing a light at your webcam or some shit

Disabling all forms of access does not learn you how to properly use a computer or safely use the Internet. You're only curing the symptoms, not the disease.

It's not that. I've been dealing with a guy who has been stalking me for a while, and I believe he got malware onto my work computer that I never have connected as a rule, and that data was being pulled off that computer. As a result, I've been looking to make it so that that computer couldn't connect physically at all.

If there are nearby computers yes it can. How? By emiting specific audio tones unaudible for humans through its components to another computer. This is top notch malware and theorical but possible. Also like the other guy said some have 3g modems integrated, they still need an antenna but really makes you think

Just fucking wipe it.

can confirm had to install mac osx because it fucked up my win 7 install
i didnt even know my PSU had auditory receptical components in the serial hyper bus
RIP Nanami

>I believe he got malware onto my work computer that I never have connected as a rule
How did he do that?

Have you got the police installed?

>You're not anywhere near important enough for a hacker to bother hacking you
>And even then the only reliable way one could get access is if you're dumb enough to run an exe from an email attachment you get from a stranger

Sure, I'd agree, but basically I was a member on the guy's web forum some time back, and he got a grudge against me, and since he had admin ability to see my IP etc, at some point someone started popping up fucking with me, and pretty soon I learned it was the guy. I called him out on it, and since then he's basically harassed me online ever since, probably as an attempt at intimidation so I don't publicly call him out or something, not that I ever had the desire to. It's not something I ever expected to happen, but as for the reason for the drama with the guy, well, these things happen.

Get a new IP, or just don't use a static one

So I guess removing the antenna and then just not having another nearby by, say, 5 feet or so should do the trick?

Possible it as a 3G radio in it.

Haven't gotten the police involved because he's in another country, and it would be a hassle and expense. I have gathered a lot of evidence though so I could make a good solid case in many ways if I had to.

no you need to also enclose it in a soundproof room or box lined with aluminum foil as an anti-RFID measure

The guy you're replying to isn't bullshitting.

Malware on an airgapped PC (not connected to a network) can send data by spinning up the CPU fan at specific intervals, and a listening microphone can parse it into binary data

This requires physical access to load this program onto that PC, so it's not super viable, but it is certainly possible

Also I guarantee nothing like this is happening to OP

Wipe your drive, reinstall your OS, get a new IP from your ISP, no way in hell he'll be able to reach your computer again unless you fuck up and just download more malware for some reason

I find it more likely he merely has logins to other shit you use online rather than having access to your PC, consider changing your passwords or not using the same one everywhere

sigh

I'm not especially tech-savvy, but...

>RIP Nanami
To think it wasnt w10 this time ;_;

I've done all of that. Several times. It's gotten pretty fucked up.

you want to be safe or think youre safe?

Something you're specifically doing is giving him access. There's literally NO way he can keep getting your IP if you did that shit

You overestimate the ability of hackers on the internet

Almost every time, they do dumb shit that only idiots fall for, which works because most people are idiots

Consider your internet usage habits in relation to

I just want solid results.

The shitty thing is that the guy has a lot of money, he comes from a wealthy family and runs an advertising design firm or something, so he can put a little money into continually getting a foothold.

you want an airgapped computer?
>buy new laptop
>take it out of box
>open it, take out the wireless card
>never use usb anything to put data into or out the machine
>if you must only get data out
>do not connect said computer to peripherals, keyboards, mouse, printers, scanners

honestly I don't know a decent procedure to put data in without risking it.

All this would be useful if you are Iranian and working on a nuclear facility, but I don't think you are either of those.

OP if you're dealing with the NSA your best bet is driving to a remote place, cover your laptop with aluminum foil to block electromagnetic signals and get a spare drive that you can be as sure as possible is untouched since they can implant persistent malware hiding in the hard drive firmware. Better yet use a read only and clean dvd for whatever OS you use.

Literally impossible unless YOU are giving him that info by running the same malware every time

Stop using a static IP, even if he had an insider in your fucking ISP it would make it too much of a pain in the ass to keep having to target a new one

>This was proven years and years ago, all you need is an infected PC (your other ones that do connect) and a USB stick you use to transfer the files and you're fucked.

^I'm still curious about and would like an explanation on this.

adding to this buy a shit ton of cheap USB's never NEVER reuse them from laptop -> whatever

Literally went to a new ISP, ordered a new computer, and the guy got on within days as far as I could tell. Think I had changed all account passwords too. *shrug*

Hi Laura.

>plug usb into infected pc
>malware copies to USB
>malware hides itself
>plug infected usb into computer
>circle_of_life.jpg

An infected computer can write malware onto USB sticks that are plugged into it, which is then loaded onto other computers the USB stick is then plugged into later

Even then, 99% of the time it still relies on you actually running executables from them, which windows doesn't really help prevent since it hides file extensions and does autorun by default

Seriously if Windows didn't do that shit most malware wouldn't be a thing

yes, but how could the computer without a wireless card then connect, I mean?

How do you know he got on? What does he do? What do you do on your PC within those days before he gets on? You're being too vague for any useful advice

so you copy something from a networked computer into a new usb, put that into the airgapped one and you are fucked? do tell how having those is useful? Honestly want to know more.

OP, you seem to be doing something wrong by yourself. You are doing stupid shit online or you already did and the very same work files or personal files you have are the source of your problems. As another user said earlier people does stupid shit, everybody make mistakes, this guy seems to be taking advantage at that, he is by no means a master hacker or some nonsense like that.

There has to be constants, something you are doing every time. Downloading the same email attachments, shit like that. Think.

no

read

the guy likes to pop up wherever I go online and post up shit related to things I've been doing, places/sites I've been. will sometimes come into an anonymous thread and quote an user post i did addressing me and referring to things I did or said or read earlier. and he has done this related to things on my supposedly 'unconnected' computer.

Is this another person suffering from CO poisoning?

Yfw NSA can hack airgapped computers using magnets and shit

wired.com/2015/07/researchers-hack-air-gapped-computer-simple-cell-phone/

No, you're only fucked if you bring data back out from the airgapped pc, not into it

Meaning, if you wanted to be 100% damn sure, once you've plugged a USB stick into the airgapped PC, you must never plug it into any other PC again

But, as per and and shit I really don't think this is his attack vector

>everybody make mistakes, this guy seems to be taking advantage at that, he is by no means a master hacker or some nonsense like that.
agreed. I am not particularly tech savvy or knowledgable as I've repeatedly said, so I should definitely finally get around to learning the ins and outs. but the guy puts in quite a bit of extra effort. it's really, truly shitty.

You ignored an important part of the question

>What do you do on your PC within those days before he gets on?
Something you are doing is giving him your info.
Literally the only possible way.
100%.

You are somehow installing something within those days that connects to him and sends him browsing history or keylogs or whatever the fuck.

You also say that your laptop is unconnected to networks. How the fuck are you posting up shit online then?

plot twist: user is stalking himself
>notevenyourself.jpg

agreed. I had really thought it through, may try to go over that and see where the flaw was.

Explain "pop up", this is what I mean about being too vague
Are you getting popups on your computer?
Or is he just posting on threads you post on?

the computer in question is another computer, not the one I'm posting on. this is my internet computer, which I've totally just given up on.

I had ordered it fresh, got a new ISP, etc as I had described, and well, here we are.

Check the service manual and look at the MB, hp laptops are nice for how they label it out compared to other brands...

I know that something would get latched to the usb you plug to the infected computer. My question is, can you use a usb stick in any way that it's reliable and/or secure to move shit from a networked computer to the airgapped one? I think there isn't a way.
I do believe if you use a fresh usb stick on the airgapped to take data out and you only use it once and then use a new one for the next transfer that would be safe.

yeah that's what I thougt.

It sucks but you need to rethink what you do. Start going the extra mile by not using windows for example if that's your current OS. Get a fresh usb stick and make a live linux stick with that on a friend computer and try to check your files. Go through your media files, music, pictures, etc. Make sure those are actually media files and not executable files. Do the same with your work files.
You will throw him off by not using windows at least for a while and maybe you will find out whats wrong on your side.

>connected fucked up computer to new IP
hurr durr how does he know my new IP???!!?!

What have you done on it after you received it and before he showed up again?

What have you installed or downloaded within that timeframe?

This is the key. There is nothing outside of this timeframe that could give him access if you really got a fresh OS and ISP.

literally turns up nearly everywhere I might go online, but particularly on Sup Forums because he can be creepy and threatening here under anonymity, while addressing me in a way that will communicate knowledge of things from my day, quotes from conversations, etc, that will make me know I'm still being stalked.

there should really be stronger anti-stalking laws for the internet, I've come to realize, and international ones.

Maybe you just have a webcam or microphone hidden in your room or some shit.

oh user thats just yandere love
you just dont know it [spoiler]yet[/spoiler]

Addendum: Are you loading on any files from previous computers (music, photos, word files, etc)? if so where are they coming from? That source must be compromised.

I think he actually already had info of my new ISP I had paid for, and was waiting for my new computer to pop up on there before I even came online with it. somehow had seen me set up the payment or something (not done at home, but y'know, might have compromised it somehow) and got info from them.

I know that something would get latched to the usb you plug to the infected computer. My question is, can you use a usb stick in any way that it's reliable and/or secure to move shit from a networked computer to the airgapped one? I think there isn't a way.
I do believe if you use a fresh usb stick on the airgapped to take data out and you only use it once and then use a new one for the next transfer that would be safe.

I'm not sure your intent.

Do you think the airgapped computer is compromised?

If so then you should not be getting any data out from it, period. Wipe it clean.

Are you trying to prevent a virgin airgapped computer from being compromised?

Then that makes sense. But, most likely your airgapped computer is not giving the attacker this information.

well, stupidly, I had moved files from my internet computer to my 'offline' work computer with harddrives, thumbdrives etc (I know) before I ever suspected there might be ways for malware to make that comp go online without my being able to see it

live and learn.

>but particularly on Sup Forums because he can be creepy and threatening here under anonymity, while addressing me in a way that will communicate knowledge of things from my day, quotes from conversations, etc
You need to remember if the shit he says is shit you said personally to someone, on the phone, sms, on your computer. Once you narrow that down you know that the faggot in question has access to something in particular and you can narrow down what are you doing that let's him do that. Again, he is no fucking genius, guy has no life and is kind of desperate pulling this crap on you because he probably can do shit anywhere else, this seems to make him feel in control of something because he actually lacks control on a lot of shit in his life. He seems a needy bitch.

What other devices are on your network? Just your laptop? Consider routers and switches. Not likely but possibly your router is compromised and is phoning home every time. That would be a convenient place for him to get internet history from too.

Give it back Jamal

u cant connect unless Ethernet

Why is your un-networked PC relevant, if the issue is him following your ONLINE habits?