LINUS TORVALDS WORKING WITH MICROSOFT

LINUXFAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/nixcraft/status/768696964871356416
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2166123/microsoft-contributed-code-canonical-linux-2632
theregister.co.uk/2013/09/16/linux_foundation_kernel_report_2013/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are you sure thats not Sam Hyde?

fuck him, i never like linus tech tips in first place

What's wrong with that?
He's accepted Microsoft code for Linux in the past too.

Are you just trying to rile g up?
How bored are you?

No, they are working on WINDOWS 10

FreeBSD is already taken over by Microsoft too

Everything is fine.

This is fine.

0. Microsoft holds 12345 software patents. Keeps quiet about it. Doesn't enforce them.
1. Microsoft contributes code to Linux and FreeBSD
2. Microsoft waits a year or two
3. Sue the living shit out of Red Hat, Novell, IBM, Intel

Nah, Linus is keeping that m$ fag hanging.

LINUX PURISTS ABSOLUTELY BTFO

>Linux finally gets the corporate backing that every Linux user wanted
>Oh em gee, wtf are you doing Linus, you weren't supposed to let people use our hipster OS

Bunch of idiots.

Linux has had corporate backing for a long time. Most kernel dev is paid for

In the professional market, yes. In the consumer market (which is where it matters for the average user), no.

Bash on windows 10 is working great so far, it actually came in handy when I was studying for my C exam and when I needed gpg and tar xf a file quickly.
Don't need linux besides some tools here and there, but I need windows only tools like visual studio much more often.

Would there even be a reason to boot in to linux instead of windows if they manage to integrate bash flawlessly in windows?

>inb4 muhh botnet

Submarine patents. Once the unlicenced user-base gets big enough the submarine surfaces.
This is what will happen to users of FLAC etc. The people behind xiph.org don't indemnify their users, they just promise not to sue. But nobody knows where the submarine is.

Linux is open source.
All the corporate-sponsored kernel development is available to the consumers, too.

If all you're after is bash, no.
However, bash isn't the main reason many people prefer Linux.

There are a limited number of people who can tolerate Linux. Like people who eat Dutch Licorice. You'd go broke trying to sell Dutch Licorice to the general populace.
In before the enraged Dutch Licorice eater.

>muh kernel

The average user doesn't give a single fuck about the kernel. People don't use windows because of its kernel, stop memeing.

Why isn't he shown in Op picture?

We were talking about the kernel.

was referring to Linux, which is the kernel.

If you're talking about the OS, it's called Gnu/Linux.

>If you're talking about the OS, it's called Gnu/Linux.

>However, bash isn't the main reason many people prefer Linux.
Fair enough.

Gnu fags need to kill yourselves

dumb redditor

JUST

linux is only free if your time is worthless

That's Gnu/Fag, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Gnu+Fag.

Linus has infiltrated the enemy and gained their trust. Now he'll move onto Phase 2 of his plan.

Context?

Are fags arround confused and think that Linus Torvalds = Stallman the retard?

he is not fanatic
he never was
he already won when he sees and laughs microsoft putting linux virtualization layer in to windows 10

Embrace
Extend
Extinquish

>Microsoft decides to embrace Linux by porting pretty much the entire fucking .NET stack to Linux
>"Oh no, Linus Torvalds is working with Microsoft!"

Any judge worth their salt would immediately throw such a case out. You cannot claim patent infringement on code you wrote and gave license to distribute verbatim.

Stallman must be furious about headlines like this.

>talking to MS people is working with MS people
How about you kids come back when you have a brain capable of rational thought?

Linus works for Microsoft now

True freetards don't fraternize with the enemy.
They code alone in their basement and complain why nobody uses their software they wrote for themselves.

On a side note, i don't know why most loonix purists hate MS so much
They have contributed to the kernel for a while now, even 5-6 years ago they were the top contributor
If anything, Apple is the real problem, not MS.

>he doesn't care about Spyware in his licorice

"Got some updates from Linus. He said, got a free coffee from MS & it was bad. They talked about a man who survives Ballmer's flying chair..." twitter.com/nixcraft/status/768696964871356416

No custom desktop environment on Windoze. No official package manager on Windoze. Fuck all on Windoze

Dutch Licorice fucking rules.

What you're calling licorice is actually GNU/licorice

I THOUGHT LINUS AND STALLMAN WERE ON THE SAME SIDE I FEEL BETRAYED

>Windows can run Linux binaries natively, no virtual machine or dual-booting
>releases Powershell for Linux, open-sourced
>porting .NET to Linux
>tfw Microsoft is doing Linux better than Linux does

what the frick?! ... I hate Linus now...

they aren't integrating
its continuation of embrace, extend

this is a bad idea

>GPL? What's that and how does it work?

>No custom desktop environment on Windoze
Good. I don't have to adapt to some autist workflow based in muh tiling wm and also I don't have to suffer the rootkit formerly know as X.org
>not official package manager
It's sad, but there's hope Microsoft will implement one. Meanwhile we have chocolatey. And backwards compatibility, is superb.

>source: me
They have the fucking restrictive shit called GPL protecting them anyways

>Good. I don't have to adapt to some autist workflow based in muh tiling wm and also I don't have to suffer the rootkit formerly know as X.org
Honestly, I agree. I never realized how much of a pointless timesink customizing WM's was until I forced myself to stop and use the default WM. Going back to Windows, I think the WM it has is actually quite good. It's simple, easy to use, and handles tiling and expansion decently.

Also, package-management is an official part of Windows now. It's just kind of empty because most maintainers and developers don't use it for standard software, where you'd need it the most.

Everyone who wants to port to Linux has an easy time, cause it's open.
Trying to write stuff that emulates Windows is a lot harder since MS doesn't help you.

>handles tiling and expansion decently
this
>split two windows 50/50
>when you drag to resize in the middle both of the m resize
why is this so difficult for Linux WMs?

No. Microsoft's business model is finished. They don't have the power to extinguish anyone anymore.
50% of all devices run Linux now, and Win10 is the last of the numbered versions. It's all incremental updates at no cost from now on. And in that game, they're 5 years behind Google.

Underrated post

>everyone who disgrees with me is a poorly drawn caricature with a punchable face
Take the ad hominems back to

X.org?

Install i3. Tiling wm that you want without the need of customization. All I did was remap some keys and it good to go. Honestly, Linux hasn't been timesink or ages now.

Except failure to protect your copyright and patents when you've clearly been aware of the existence of infringing material for a while is the same as forfeiting your right to protect those same copyrights and patents. They can't sue them years after the infringing implementation has been made public and expect to win big. Atleast, that's how I think it's supposed to work. You own patents, you're made aware that there are material infringing on your patents, you contact the related parties and if you fail to come to a mutual understanding, you sue. You can't wait for years and jump straight into suing.

no, sunshine, do this for me
Snap two windows side by side
Then in the middle where they touch resize them.
On pretty much every linux DE/whatever I used it only resized one of them
On Windows 10 they both resize

>without the need of customization.
>All I did was remap some keys.
Anyways, in all seriousness: too late. I have no interest in wasting my time with learning WM's. What I have works well, and I have better things to do when I'm working and funner things to do when I'm not.

lmao desu

i3wm,sunshine.
Try this for me, snap 3 windows horizontally, and split thebleft window into two.

Technically I could take the source code for Linux, write some weird-ass extension that'll make apps written with this extension in mind only work on my version of Linux, release that, and technically have a product "superior" to Linux by your standards.

Good for you. I am not trying to convince you to use anything.

sure, now give i3 to the regular user and see how that works out

You mean linus shit tips

>linux virtualization layer
you are misinformed. microsoft implemented linux syscalls in their own kernel, in order to support linux programs and make Linus' life's work obsolete.

Soon we will have "sysadmins" who are very familiar with BASH and Linux programs without ever having installed a single line of Linus' code.

>Install i3.
>I am not trying to convince you to use anything.
okay.png

I'm going to stop responding to you now then.

>Any judge worth their salt would immediately throw such a case out. You cannot claim patent infringement on code you wrote and gave license to distribute verbatim.
Not in the land of the free, home of the brave.

>linux syscalls in the kernel
For what purpose? NT supports subsystems, they don't have to mutilate their kernel to do shit a la Linux, only implement a subsystem,

Great point, thanks for giving me an argument. That's the beauty of this OS, everybody can find his preferred way of doing this. I am much more productive with i3, so I use it. Regular users don't need it, so they can use KDE, Mate, Cinnamon or Gnome.
I was replying to your argument that Linux wms are timesink.

>They have contributed to the kernel for a while now
Uh, they contributed some code so that linux works better on their virtualisation platform. Not anything most people give a fuck about.

>Going back to Windows, I think the WM it has is actually quite good. It's simple, easy to use, and handles tiling and expansion decently.
so did xerox parc wm, so did apple
microshit have provided nothing other than a licensing lock-in

>WSL provides a Linux-compatible kernel interface developed by Microsoft (containing no Linux code),
damn, turns out you're right
I always though they just ran straight up linux up in there

>Uh, they contributed some code so that linux works better on their virtualisation platform. Not anything most people give a fuck about.
nope
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2166123/microsoft-contributed-code-canonical-linux-2632

a couple of years ago they were one of the top contributors
theregister.co.uk/2013/09/16/linux_foundation_kernel_report_2013/

The article says exactly what I said.
They were a top contributor by LOC, but that code was for that virtualisation platform.

fuck off

>Corporate code contributions do make up the majority of Linux kernel development these days, and have done so for some time.
Richard Stallman on suicide watch.

more sophisticated than winshit
what apple managed to adapt

>Microsoft contributing more Linux code than Linux-only companies.

Actually no. This just proves Stallman's odeas that FOSS can work and can make money.

What timezone are you in? You're obviously not a native English speaker.

>measuring contribution in LOC

& they weren't consistantly messing around with their interface, to try to 'market it'
the interface was a solution -- something microshit haven't managed to do, so far
nobody knows what their WM is supposed to be. Microshit have no idea what their WM is supposed to be. It's low grade, unsophisticated. No design/class. A morass of broken code from the 90s

I hate that they're doing more than others are too. Maybe it's just that they have more money? It doesn't make sense. Linux is free to develop, work on, and contribute to, so why is Microsoft leading the way?

You have replied to two different people. Also, is it that weird for Amerifats to realize that there are other countries and languages in the world?

ITT Neets.

I'm speaking to both of you, lad. Just trying to figure out whether you're actually very angry or just naturally have stilted English. Please, relax a little bit.

Microsoft is not leading anything. As I said, they added para-virtualisation support for their Hyper-V hypervisor, i.e. something 99% of linux users doesn't care in the slightest.

You're misinterpreting Stallman's ideals. If he could have his way, no corporate involvement would be allowed.

>not leading anything
>leading contributor

kek

They stopped being in the top 20 in 2013

>timezone
>a native

>speaking to both of you.
Let's not nitpick on English.

Irónically, Stallman did create his version of FOSS with an anti coorporative spirit.

MS is not the leading contributor, it was some year.