/gcg/ - Graphics Card General - "Do I have to keep making these?" edition

Talk about anything graphics card related here. Questions, e-peen measuring, etc.

>Tonight on /gcg/:
I fell for the 3.5 meme lads. After debating if I should shell out 350€ for a 480/1060, I ended up grabbing my cousin's old 970 for 200€. Was still a win/win though, I got an huge boost from my previous 280x, as most of what I play favors nvidia designs, and he got the leverage to upgrade to a 1070.

if dubs everyone gpu runs 30º hotter from now on and forever

If I plan to play GTA and Forza, should I go AMD? or Nvidia?

Intel iGPU

How long will a GTX 770 be sufficient for 1080p gaymen?

Sup Forums

It has never been.

no...

NOOOOO

You know that Sup Forums is not really a tech board like 8 chan's /tech/ right?

I mean with the daily "generals" for the most stupid shit ever like you can find on reddit it really didn't ring a bell yet?

Forza runs a bit better on amd, and gta heavily favors nvidia, you have to decide which one you play the most.

Nvidia's advantage on gta is larger than amd's on forza, fwiw.

Any opinions on the palit 1070s? They are there only OEM not charging founder edition prices for their cards

Palit/gainward are pretty decent cards, fairly high clocked on oc versions. Even better if you like the looks of cards with beefy coolers.

is back plated gpu a meme?

>>Sup Forums

Problem with double Chan is that it's dead

No.

The 970 I mentioned in the op is an msi one that sold without a backplate, and sagged like a motherfucker. After installing a coldzero backplate the thing sits now as straight as it can be.

>backplate is an acrylic one
>considering remaking it in aluminium sheet and adding thermal pads

According to reviews, Palit's Super Jetstream and Gainward's Phoenix Golden Sample cards are among the best you can buy. They're cool, quiet and have the highest boost clocks.

What kind of performance are we gonna get with the upcoming GTX 1050?

I was going to get the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID when it comes out as I need something that can do very heavy workloads and stay cool and quite in a case with not a ton of airflow. Am I just the worst at making decisions?

Why not using what you save on an air cooled 1080 to buy a better case?

>I need something that can do very heavy workloads and stay cool and quite in a case with not a ton of airflow.

>Am I just the worst at making decisions?

yep

The case I picked is low key to keep people from thinking I have something worth stealing. Also it will be shoved in a corner next to my desk which will mainly be the cause of the low airflow.

Okay. Now how about something of substance? Like why this card will fail at doing such a task?

1080ti when? I wanna upgrade from my 1070

Call me crazy, but i'm waiting for Vega, even if i don't get one, i'd just like something to compare against the 1070/1080

I just grabbed a Nitro+ RX 480 8GB for 287€ as soon as I saw it not being out of stock and not overpriced.
Can't wait.

I would like to see AMD go mental and make a 600mm2 behemoth on the 14nm node. It would be a monster in more ways than one.

Me too, I can't believe how well my GTX 660 handles games. Playing forza at 1080p with 60+ fps

You realize that you need airflow to cool things? That radiator won't just make the heat disappear.

There are a lot of good cases that look unsuspecting. Fractal Core and Arc series immediately come to mind for instance.

Source: I own an Arc Midi R2, only thing that might stand out is its size.

>It has never been.

I did BF4 in ultra @ 60fps when I had one

Can confirm, it runs gta 5

I didn't say no airflow. I said not great. There will still be airflow just not as much as would normally be ideal which is why I am asking if the water cooling will be enough to offset that. Fuck you guys are shit at reading comprehension.

The 200R I have picked out should be fine but from what I can tell it's airflow isn't perfect.

>Fuck you guys are shit at reading comprehension.
You're the retard here. How is "water cooling" going to offset anything?

just ordered a second 1080 for sli, hope i can finally run deus ex MD on ultra with 60fps

What determines how much of a housefire a gpu is, is it the temperatures it gets or the power consumption?

Yeah the 200r falls a bit short on temperatures for some reason. Might sound like shilling, but I can't recommend the Midi R2 enough, which does a lot better here. Sadly Portugal is a very warm country and even with the case I have some trouble cooling my parts, an msi 970 shouldn't reach 75° while gaming for instance, so adding to finally getting an ac this winter (now it's not a good time to buy one), I'm planning some part moving.

>remove both 3.5 cages to maximize airflow, add 140mm fans
>move the ssd to the back of the mb tray, mount the 3.5 hdd at the bottom of the case, drill mounting holes if necessary

The original meme came from the gtx 480's core temperatures.

bump

No one knows, there aren't even official specs out yet.

From Gtx 570 to a 1070 or a used 980ti?

Price of used 980ti?

bullshit...its quite active over there.

they simply only focus on software and refuse to discuss hardware.

also the /k/ board is better IMHO...but for tech Sup Forums is better.

Best card price/perf for 1080p at the moment?

Retard

Seems Ivan and friends have updated their deus ex benchmarks. Seeing some gains on the AMD side.

The original meme came from fermi burning down someone's house.

>bought my fury x a year ago
>everyone made fun of me for doing that and "hurr durr 4GB"
>card is still going stronk, even beating 980Ti is several games now
KEK

L O V I N G
E V E R Y
L A U G H

Yeah but the fury x is no 290x. An overclocked 290x is capable of rivalling (and sometimes besting) a stock clocked 980ti. Consider that the 290x existed to best a 780 the performance gain is absolutely massive.

>buy a gtx 1080 thinking it'll be play most games at 1440p 60fps+ ultra settings, which it does (older games)
>this game comes out a few days later

Why is this allowed? This game seems to be more demanding than Quantum Break.

>buy r9 290x for 150us including a lepa water cooler and a hg110
>runs completely fine at stock
>"all right lets oc this baby"
>get artifacts at 1050mhz

W H Y
H
Y

rx 470

MOAR VOLTAGE NIGGA.

Want to buy a 1070
Thinking of going for MSI Gaming X since it matches my mobo. Is it a wise choice?

Only heavily oc'ed 290x to 1200Mhz at 4k almost on par with stock 980ti. Not besting it.

Had my Tri-X 290 do that

Felt batman

Doubt it helps

Round the same as a new 1070

1070 then

>Not a single fucking store in the country has a 480 in stock
No wonder that nvidia rules the market so much

To make it worse there like 10 billion version of a nvidia card while there are only 5 version of a amd card.

I got a R9 390 with a bit of an OC, did i fuck up

Because nobody wants AMD garbage mostly.

just get the cheapest you can buy.
I have Jetstream 1070 with default clock. Can OC up to 2100 boost and never go below 2000.
Run cool with active fan.

Well I don't want to spend the money on a 1070 (and that card is a bit overkill if you are only going to game on 1080p) so I'm stuck with the 480

You sure about that?

Don't think so, it's a catd that still seems to hold up well.

My 1080 does it at 4K max settings at 120FPS.

Why can't peeps buy the best shit and be done with it?

>in 4 year old games

Because the best shit is the most expensive shit

Well. upgraded my card from 290x to 1070 which on par with 980Ti. The fps diffrence at least 20 fps in most benchmark.

firestrike score 14000 for 290x oc to 1100/1525 while 1070 around 21000 OC to 2100 boost/4700.
Constant 60 fps on Metro 2033 redux at 1440p while 290x with frequent drop to 40fps.
290x still a really good card for 1080p though. Even batter than RX480.

You'll find in most DX12 games as of right now a 290x isn't far behind a 980ti - certainly close enough that the average overclock will catch it.

480 nitro finally started appearing in the shops here
going to buy one at the end of the month
Now i'm going to be memory/CPU bottlenecked out of the ass with 8320/PC3-12800 RAM

Overclock your cpu as far as you can.

An overclocked 980 ti still kicks your fucking teeth in and performs in par with a stock 1080.

Doom isn't 4 years old.

Doom doesn't run at 120fps on nightmare settings at 4k. While there is no 1080 in this picture it would have to be twice as fast as a factory overclocked 1070 (which a 1080 just isn't no matter the clocks).

Any gigabyte 1080 g1 gaming here?

Are you OCing with the following software?
And how high are you able to go?

I haven't OCed yet but it seems the gpu lies around 1999mhz @ 73c during max load.
Not sure if it's worth OCing for an extra 100 or so hz if the temp is already this high.

73c isn't high and people pay hundreds of dollars for an extra 100mhz.

Only Fury line rival with 980Ti/1070 on Dx12 and Vulkan. 290x will catch up with 980Ti when NVidia stop optimized the driver on latest title.

The 1342mhz OC edition? Cant wait to find it to buy this shit

I was talking about Forza before, I get a solid 75-80 FPS on Nightmare settings. My i5 4670 screams more than my GTX 1080.

You seem to think that hawaii doesn't catch the 980ti already in DX12.

Does anyone know of any 1080's with a white PCB? I am tired of waiting on Galax to release their overpriced Hall of Fame line for 10x but see no alternative.

My Palit Dual 1070 died after not even 1 day.
Getting a Zotac one now.

Just buy a fucking Nvidia card already if you want Nvidia tier performance.

Every fucking thread for the past years you post your 5 slot 290x consuming 600w and try to convince people it's good as Nvidia counterparts when you know it isnt.

It's bloody miners man. They're all stocking on 480s like it's no tomorrow. I was enquiring some local stores about availability, and two of them came back with how many do I want. They honestly expect mining orders.

is inno3d any good?

Get a screwdriver and some white spray paint.

>overclocking to get a higher tier performance is bad

Woah slow down there horsey. If I wanted gimped performance I would've bought a 780ti not a 290x in jan 2014.

I don't want to risk retarding my 700 dollar toy up though.

>I was enquiring some local stores about availability, and two of them came back with how many do I want

I'm not sure what to feel about this

Fucking miners why do we let them exist

I'd pitch in for you get a 1070 if you promise to shut the fuck up. You can probably sell your black screening 290x to some idiot for $150 and you would only be $200 away from a fast and efficient 150w 1070.

I ordered 1070 amp! Extreme instead of gaming x. Did I fuck up?

Why are you so angry? No seriously I want to know so I can help.

It is high, but not "lethal" high.

They also abuse the RMA after running the cards 24/7, which makes retailers drop warranty for them in general. Real gamers get shafted on all fronts.

IIRC mining is why XFX stopped doing lifetime warranty.

So not only do I have to wait 2 weeks before I get my card but there is also a chance ny warranty will be dropped.

And here I thought the universe haven't found enough ways to shit on me this summer

From my interpretation this amd slide claims Polaris should be 2x pref/watt than Maxwell.

But look at these lying scumbags at TPU!

How can Nvidia keep getting away with it!