Motherboard companies create 'CPU Unlock' settings to turn AMD X3 chips into four cores

>Motherboard companies create 'CPU Unlock' settings to turn AMD X3 chips into four cores
>AMD does nothing

>Purchase Pentium G3258 for cheap BCLK overclocking
>Intel makes microcode updates in the BIOS and in windows to crash your overclocked G3258

Why does Sup Forums defend Intel and their bullshit so much? they make fast chips, but they're dicks.

Other urls found in this thread:

communities.intel.com/thread/77391
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Using Windows 10.
>Updating your BIOS when you know it's gonna gimp you.
>Buying dual-core CPU in 2016.

The Jewishness of Intel is the least worrisome thing about this post.

The G3258 isn't even anything I'd ever consider, but apparently it OC'd well and Intel had to gimp it, because god forbid you get anything for your dollar.

Those old Phenom X3's were made using binned quad cores that had a single busted core. Unlocking that core rarely did anything of worth performance wise, a lot of the time it would just prevent the system from POSTing. Yet idiots lapped that ship up and went out of their way to try and hit that silicon lottery, when they could have just bought a real quad core for marginally less money and saved a whole lot of time and effort.

AMD did nothing because it gave their brand an artificial sense of bonus value. Same thing happened with the early Radeon 6950s which you could "unlock" into 6970s with a bios flash.

What did you OC it to? I hot mine to 4.1

marginally more money**

I have those unlocked 6950's. It worked most of the time for the reference models.

It only worked 100% for a handful of cards, the very first batch where you had some fully functional 6970s relabeled and sold as 6950s to meet demand at launch. After that you were dealing with binned 6970s, and the flashed cards tended to die in ~6-12 months from overvolted memory.

>Intel makes microcode updates in the BIOS and in windows to crash your overclocked G3258
[citation needed]

I never defended Intel. They clearly block basic features like OC behind premium $200+ CPUs just so poorfags and wisefags don't dare to get similar performance to idiots that build expensive pre-builds and overall have no idea wtf they're doing. BUT it doesn't change fact that AMD is 5 years behind Intel and 2 years behind Nvidia and I'm not fucking retarded enough to sink my money into garbage products just because morally it's the right thing to do. It's like sending your money to kids in Africa to build wells just so those wells can be destroyed or poisoned year later by another bunch of rebels. Africa is an endless money sink just like AMD.

4.6 core / 4.2 uncore at 1.261v/1.9v with stock intel cooler and 50 dollar board, cores never go above 69c (unless running prime)

I was somehow "prime stable" and IBT stable at 1.245/1.8v but GTA5 would BSOD occasionally all the way up to 1.26v, and the game would crash when driving fast bikes through the city until I upped the VRING(uncore) +.1v

If you have a "weak board" with 3/4 phase delivery just up the input voltage (VRIN not VRING) to 1.5x VCORE but stay below VCORE+0.6v, this will guarantee you wont drop below nominal voltage under load (1.8v)

I dont recommend running prime if your temps go above 80c, the pentium is a small die so the cores will transfer heat to other parts of the chip faster than other cpus

If you get a good chip you can easily best the latest i7s in single/dual core workloads, not bad for 60 bucks

You're defending intel right now you stupid bear

>intel makes your g3258 crash

the fuck are you on about fuccboi?
my g3258 runs stable on a mitx z87i pro at 4,5ghz and no crashes of any sort

what's your deal?

>Can enable ECC on any AMD processor past athlon in the OS configuration.

>the pentium is a small die so the cores will transfer heat to other parts of the chip faster than other cpus
What? It literally is the same die as the i3/i5/i7 consumer chips.

confirmed OP doesn't know what he's talking about

>2 core 3mb

communities.intel.com/thread/77391

Didn't it also work with flashing a 7970 bios on a 7950? Heard a lot of people doing that.

Is it a surprise that win10 is literally shit?

Anything else and it works fine and dandy, try 8.1

Yup. And 480 4GB to 8GB.

AMD did nothing because they couldn't so anything, after that they lasered off the disabled cores

He is just saying that they are the more logical decision for performance, not saying that they are a good company or anything.

>cpu starts dying en masse
>not only lose i3 sales but forced to replace millions of cpus

>If you get a good chip you can easily best the latest i7s in single/dual core workloads

umm no

My cpu score> yours
i7 6700 non-k btw

>Part OC:d to 4.0 GHz vs part OC:d to 3.5GHz
>No data whatsoever on the RAM
>Somehow debunking the idea that part OC:d to 3.5 GHz can be overclocked to the part OC:d to 4.0 GHz if it's OC:d more
I see Sup Forums decided to pay this thread a visit with it's usual levels of stupidity...

They're absolute assholes but if you're shopping above the budget market there are no other options.

>I was somehow "prime stable" and IBT stable at 1.245/1.8v but GTA5 would BSOD occasionally all the way up to 1.26v, and the game would crash when driving fast bikes through the city until I upped the VRING(uncore) +.1v
Prime and IBT aren't much good for assessing Haswell stability, I assume that's because of the AVX voltage fuckery that goes on. I found the OCCT test to be much more relevant in general.

You have no idea what clocks the cpu is running at besides in the reference

This is a skylake comparison the RAM frequency makes no difference it's a processor comparison you retarded piece of shit, it will bench same score at 2133 than it would at 3000

Well my pentium scored 2133 on the single threaded test, any idea why are you scoring so much higher than the reference 6700K?

I am locked into 1400mhz on this platform but I also used cheap LV budget memory and never tried raising the system agent and IO voltages to see where they take me (can't budge from CAS 10)

Strange thing about the memory is that they were bought a year apart and have the same part number (KVR16LN11) and specs all the way down the line, but the first chip was low profile and the other is normal sized

because it's overclocked to 4.4Ghz

it can pull much higher score than even that at higher clocks especially in multithread i can push it to past 10K whether that will be stable or not depends on the motherboard and setup

Assuming the clocks are the same the 6700K should still be able to beat mine though

Any such unlock gimmicks for Phenom II x6 processors

So you are using base clock to overclock right? you should probably enable HPET in the BIOS and then force it in Windows after a reboot, I heard of people having audio and phantom timing/scheduling issues with LAPIC

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true

Run that elevated

thx user I just did that and reboot and yeah there definately is an performance increase, my bios does have that feature enabled, I thought it would of been enabled by default in windows 10 but seems it's not

Thanks but I am done with stressing, its only my htpc after all. The main thing I took away was that stressing under full load is not the whole story (and it never was but haswells fIVR allows some crazy overclocks with less-than-optimal power delivery)

It's a good thing the G3258 doesn't support AVX because I would need some overpriced aftermarket cooling which throws the whole economy of the chip out the window

np, you may also want to disable core parking and C-states above C2 (in BIOS) if you want rock bottom latency (disabling C1E is getting into meme territory)

@echo off
powercfg -setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 100
powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 100
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor ea062031-0e34-4ff1-9b6d-eb1059334028 100
powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor ea062031-0e34-4ff1-9b6d-eb1059334028 100
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 4d2b0152-7d5c-498b-88e2-34345392a2c5 5000
powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 4d2b0152-7d5c-498b-88e2-34345392a2c5 5000
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 893dee8e-2bef-41e0-89c6-b55d0929964c 100
powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 893dee8e-2bef-41e0-89c6-b55d0929964c 100
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor bc5038f7-23e0-4960-96da-33abaf5935ec 100
powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor bc5038f7-23e0-4960-96da-33abaf5935ec 100
powercfg -setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 3b04d4fd-1cc7-4f23-ab1c-d1337819c4bb 0
powercfg -setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_processor 3b04d4fd-1cc7-4f23-ab1c-d1337819c4bb 0
powercfg -setactive scheme_current

I'll start buying AMD cpus when they stop being shit

I'm curious does speedstep still work with your baseclock modified? if not you can safely disable EIST at BIOS level for a further drop in latency

Yeah I already got C states disabled completely
don't think so I also got it disabled but haven't tried it

That's good advice but I think core parking is set another way in Windows 10

What the fuck, you can't OC the G3258 any more?

You can, but you can't update your motherboard bios, or get a certian windows 10 update that makes it BSOD if its OC'd.

>be a cuck
>let people do whatever they want, fuck running a stable business amirite, we're mostly center-left here anyway, punks not dead
>fail

>be normal intelligent person
>realize making money is the top priority because none of the other goals can be reached without dough
>succeed

Doesn't that specifically apply to non-z motherboards?

All my motherboards are z97. So I should be fine.

But the G3258 is officially unlocked.

Keep sucking that Intel cock, user. Good thing we didn't have this microcode bullshit back in the Q6600 days, where you could OC the shit out of that or get an Allendale Pentium and get really good single core out of that too.

nah, some of the 4 core amds could be unlocked to 6 core, but that was because they were using the same die, kind of like why some 2 and 3 cores could unlock to 4 core, they only made one die fits all.

Naw dude, successful unlocks are pretty common. I know two dudes with them and it's not like I ask everybody if they have unlocked a Phenom II X3.

Regardless of it being a lottery, AMD didn't fuck you over if you managed to unlock a fully working quad core that was sold as an X3.

>build wells just so those wells can be destroyed or poisoned year later by another bunch of rebels.
you mean like the trillions spent on iraq? or the trillions being spent in afghanistan still?
your tax dollars hard at work :^)