Digital Art Hardware

This is a bit /ic/ but I believe Sup Forums knows their hardware better.

So I'll be buying a tablet for digital art. What would you recommend and how would I go about installing the softare?

Other urls found in this thread:

bongofish.co.uk/wacom/wacom_pt1.html
viziblr.com/news/2011/8/14/the-ultimate-guide-to-making-your-wacom-tablet-work-on-windo.html
youtube.com/watch?v=1wkwpntvyU4
community.wacom.com/inspiration/blog/2014/january/seven-tips-for-getting-used-to-a-pen-tablet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have your pic related. Good starting point. Install the software like you would any other software

Wacom a best.

Download their software from their website and you're set.

HUION GIANO
INTUOS Med

That's it, don't get any small shit

I started off with that exact tablet and recently upgraded to an intuos4 medium. The difference is huge to be honest, I would recommend skipping the lower end and going straight for the mid end
pic related some work

Huion h810pro is good but you have to bear with recharging the pen like once a week, and the chink drivers.
Wacom intuos M is great but costs 3x. Don't get a bamboo if you need to do serious stuff

Don't bother with none wacom brands

Best Wacom within your budget.
Bamboo has been relegated to meme tier.
Intuos line is good for entry level
Intuos Pro for extra features/if you're sure you'll be using it a lot
Cintiq if you're made of money

Ignore the Huion/Monoprice memers. Wacom owns all the good patents for this tech so they basically are the industry.

If you aint getting a cintiq, I'd recommend not getting a wacom just because they're total jews, monopolizing the market with their inductive recharge pens patent, and not renewing their products. Some chink tablets (like huion) have better digitizers nowadays.

There are still no decent replacements for cintiqs though.

Go with the best wacom on your budget, I had one of those for like 3 years, mostly amateur shit, but worked great, I used to drop it a lot, until once it fell and never worked again.

Is there a way to properly learn how to use these electronic tablets ?

I have a note 2014, it's like a mini cintiq, and also a basic wacom tablet; use them for note taking and every time my scribbles look far better on the note than the wacom, probably because of the disconnect between the hand and the eye.

Not really gonna go in depth into drawing, but if I can improve my penmanship, drawing concepts and explanations that don't look like shit would be better.

Have Wacom's tablets improved over the last years in any significant way? Haven't really been following the newer versions, but on Wacom's website it says their newest IntuosPro has 2048 levels of pressure, just like my Intuos4, which is 7 years old now (and still works perfectly btw).
I know there's touch functionality, but do people really use that? The touch on my old Bamboo Pen&Touch didn't get used much and I ended up just turning it off.

I finally ordered pic related and I wanted that for a long time now. man I can't wait.

waste of money

isnt there a huge matrix that you can stick on your large monitor to turn it into a large touchscreen though?

Yes, a homebuild. Enjoy fucking it up unless you have some knowledge of electronics, however.

bongofish.co.uk/wacom/wacom_pt1.html

i was thinking 40" or more famalam, like a thing you buy separately rather than stripping it out of a device.

Hey, Bamboo is great. Just make sure your version matches your screen dimensions. You can adjust it, but it's not nearly as good as native.

Bamboo Fun is even better, not sure if they make those. I like how stream-lined/rugged that was. There's not extra space wasted so it fits better on a small desk.

Upgraded to Intuos 4 from Bamboo and Bamboo fun. tbqh I don't really need all the extra sensitivity even when painting. Bamboo Fun imho was my favorite, Intuos 4 was a bit too sensitive but it's still great and I prefer its stylus more as well as all the different pen tips. I hardly ever use the extra buttons on the side or even on the top, I just use the keyboard but it's good to have as a backup if my keyboard needs to get replaced.

Software comes in a CD that you just install after you plug it in to your PC (wait for the generic drivers/update automatically first when you plug it in, then install the CD), or instead of using the CD there's the driver page you can download drivers and other software from the wacom website, just go to support/drivers and search for your model and get the latest drivers from there.

There's also included software that sets up your personal preferences like pressure sensitivity, key/button rebinding, and so on.

Also, if you're using Photoshop on Windows, it helps to remove the annoying stuff like lag/wasted processing power:
viziblr.com/news/2011/8/14/the-ultimate-guide-to-making-your-wacom-tablet-work-on-windo.html

There should be guides for Windows 8/8.1 and 10 as well, just do a search for something like 'make wacom work on Windows 8/10'.

Got myself a 13HD Cintiq right off the bat when I started drawing and I'm more than happy with this.

If your budget allows it, get the best right from the start.
First of all it's going to inspire you to draw because of the price and most importantly, this way you won't have to think about upgrading ever again.
You're not going to be wasting money jumping from a 100$ tablet to a 400$ one and then getting the +1k Cintiq.
But if you don't have the funds, just go with the one in your pic.
As long as it's Wacom, they're all good enough.

fun fact, wacom sat on their dicks for so fucking long that uc logic caught up and arguably surpassed wacom, wacom still has the tilt sensor and batteryless pen, but those tow features are minimal at best.

monitors its a different story, if only because wacom puts in a near 100% adobe rgb monitor behind it, whereas others use vga or 60% adobergb, that said, more recent version give wacom a run for their money there too.

-------------

that said im looking into a digital sketchbook, anyone have experience with the cube i7 or the dual boot chuwi H12 and are able to tell me what they can do and their limitations?

batteryless pen is literally the best feature a tablet could have

cube i7 is like 3 years old already chink companies need to step the fuck up

I got a Wacom Bamboo and I still suck at drawing. My father can draw near photorealistic pictures from sight and everything else in some cartoon style when asked. No training

I cant draw shit

when a pen under active use can have the battery last 2 weeks to a month, it's a non issue, nice feature for sure, but not a deal breaker the way it may have use to be.

no shit, but currently there are no real options for digital sketchbooks outside of some chink tablets, an old as dirt lenovo, or 2500$ wacom which is a non option as far as I'm concerned.

but the battery adds weight and disturb the balance and feel in a very bad way.

>but currently there are no real options for digital sketchbooks outside of some chink tablets, an old as dirt lenovo, or 2500$ wacom which is a non option as far as I'm concerned.

what about a fucking ipad pro?

There's like three still-good Note tablets
And apparently they have a new model coming soonish, all of them are real good for drawing

Started with the Intuos 2 A3; I had it for about 2 months before going "holy balls i can't draw like this anymore" (mad props to those which can draw not looking at their hand).

Bought the Cintiq 12WX afterwards, still use it to this very day.. Honestly i believe its still the best in terms of comfort and usability; its just a shame the colours/resolution are REALLY bad.

Upgraded then to the 21UX, basically a bigger better 12WX, trouble i had with this was the portability, i like to lay back in the chair, legs up with the tablet resting on my stomach, the 21UX felt like it was 20kg; so i didn't have it long.

13HD came out i had it for almost a year before upgrading the the Cintiq Companion 2; which is nice due to the mobility/better res/screen over the 13HD.
I did try a Surface 4 and thought it was fine for sketching; the lack of buttons it the deal breaker for me with this though.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Companion 3 or a 15" tablet comes out next year if you fancy waiting...
At the end of the day, if you can draw not looking at your hand and your poor.. get a Intuos 4; if you can stretch a bit more get the 13HD non-touch, as you can grab those for around the £400 mark second hand now.

on/off topic

how does the iPad pro/MS Surface compare to a real graphics tablet?

post yer drawing lad

pls respond

I am trying to get a Cintiq 13, but might end up with a surface pro.

Really want to get back to drawing directly on screen. My thinkpad x60t spoiled me bad.

Bamboos were the go-to entry-level tablets (e.g. the Pen & Touch, Create, etc. but now they've pushed those to the previous Graphire style ones (e.g. pen and a tiny space with no built-in eraser and shit), and the Intuos line are now the entry level artist tablets, with Intuos Pro being the professional line (unless they changed it AGAIN).

Battery-free pen is the #1 feature you want Wacom for, nobody wants a heavy as fuck pen that they forget to charge and then have to wait an hour to draw. Other manufacturers need to just cough up the cash to license their induction-power tech and get with the program.

>ipad pro
hahahahahahaha

Monoprice has great budget tablets. As for software, it depends on what you're doing. For basic drawing, Manga studio has the best brushes, Autodesk Sketchbook is excellent for beginners

what justifies spending 2X the price and getting the intuos? the wacom has a smaller active area and less hotkeys, i am very confused. the giano is only $135

probably the drivers or somethin suck i dunno lel

youtube.com/watch?v=1wkwpntvyU4

community.wacom.com/inspiration/blog/2014/january/seven-tips-for-getting-used-to-a-pen-tablet

> like you would any other software
So, apt-get?

>surface pro

Anyone know if these are worth it at all? I've tried tablets before but I just cannot get into the hand-screen disconnect. I've borrowed a friend's iPad and tried drawing using a stylus, and it was decent but not ideal. I'm wondering if the better software/drivers/stabilizers available on a surface would be good enough or do I just have to save up forever for a cintiq?

What's the biggest tablet good for entry level but also reliable?

Explain why the iPad Pro is a joke. It's significantly cheaper than a good graphics tablet, and is a good portable computer while also being a fair graphics tablet.