/wt/ Watch Thread The Kike returns edition

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Picked this up on eBay for £16. It's from 1976. The strap is obviously aftermarket, but feels alright. I have no real need to replace it for now.

Loving that blue Vostok. How much did you pay and what is it called?

>The strap is obviously aftermarket

I wouldn't be worried much about the strap as more to it being a Citizen with a badly repainted and a movement that was cobbled together in an Indian shit street.

And it's a 420059, one of the most common of the newer Vostok's around.

Book of Samuel? Try reading the New Testament ahi

I just wanted to say that, I don't wear a watch.. I just check my phone

I bought it in the UK and feels genuine, though I am no watch expert. Can't go wrong for £16, though.

Thanks for the info.

I have that same Vostok.
Worked flawlessly for 5 years (except the bezel ring is loose now).

>2016
>reading fiction

The odd influx of Philipino specials and Indian specials in the UK is somewhat known by now.

As far as genuine goes, i sincerely doubt it can be called like that anymore. More along the lines of a reasonably talented Indian with a paint brush and some diarrhea to lubricate the movement.

Essentially, you're wearing Indian shit on your wrist.

You can remove the bezel and adjust the copper wire so it'll turn tighter.

How can I make sure?

>How can I make sure?
Avoid the extremely easy to spot repaints, like the one you got.

The SARB017 has been growing on me.
First I found the green dial too much but the more I look at it the better it looks.

What strap(s) should I get for it? Read that the strap it comes with is kind of bad.

I'm feeling it

Check the guide as well.

Otherwise, a Fluco Hunter racing or a Rios1931 shell cordovan.

I've seen a couple pictures of the Alpinist on mesh bracelets and I think it looks really good.

it would be hilarious
the "sport" really adds to the aesthetic

>2016
>being edgy

I was searching for updates on Buzz Aldring and his Omega Mars watch design. 10 days and I still cannot see anything.

Has anyone else seen anything more specific?

First for practicality.

Has anyone bought a perlon strap from StrapCode before? Seems a bit pricey.

I can't see how they could be any better than Eulit which are pretty expensive relatively speaking themselves.

I need one in 22mm for my Pelagos.

Oh yeah Eulit doesn't make those. But are you really complaining about a $30 strap for an almost 4 fucking thousand dollar watch?

Get an Eulit Palma while they are still available.

About to buy a NATO strap for my trusty Casio F-91W. What should be the size? Also what's a good online store to buy one from, considering I'm a Eurofag?

eBay.

Ideally as thin as possible or just get a black perlon.

Here's my hmt rajat I bought for $14 five years ago.

Its supposed to be an automatic but the fly wheel broke within a week. Thankfully you can still manually wind it.

Going strong for five years. Have to wind it everyday but love it. Accuracy is +20 secs per month.

Citizen BN0000-04H on gunmetal grey nato

Leather Nato, or mesh.

Just have it repaired. It has a Miyota 8205 clone movement, which is babymode for any watchmaker.

full ross?

>+20 seconds per month
>+20 seconds
>20 seconds
>per month
BULL
SHIT

>Day window
>No day wheel

S H I T
H
I
T

You know, I am not a fan of Steinhart in fact I don't even own one. But I think its a better watch than the Citizen, especially since it has a ETA 2824-2 which is the same movement used in Tudor watches. It also has sapphire which could have benefited you seeing all of the scratches. And 316L stainless steel which is more durable and scratch/rust resistance than what Citizen/Seiko uses. I am also pretty sure its cheaper as well.

what about the width?

18mm is the exact width, 20mm if you can find a thin one.

>You know, I am not a fan of Steinhart
Yeh.
We can tell.

>steinshit

That's like comparing apples and oranges...the citizen is an affordable watch with a quartz movement, not really designed to be a luxury mechanical like the Steinheart. Also, what scratches user? I see none

No

Should I go for it /wt/?

Of course! That watch counters -5 charisma and gives +52% robbery resistance.

>The horror, the horror
Please, no.

Also if that is fully lumed you will never be able to sleep.

And once again I must ask if the watch makers have lost all sense of good taste.

Yeeeeaaaa boiiiiiiiiiiiii

Tell me more about the Seiko on the right!

Shaky car photo..

>
>>The horror, the horror
>Please, no.
>Also if that is fully lumed you will never be able to sleep.
>And once again I must ask if the watch makers have lost all sense of good taste.

Welcome to the 70's user.
Not full lumed, they made them that colour on purpose

Seiko SNDC99. I love that watch.

>that guy with the entry level quartz tag
You should get a trip anonfriend...

>Lume
Radioactive diarrhea at best.

I like it user

I see many fully lumed faces but never full face tritium illumination. These can be made very thin so why isn't it in use?

It would be ... awesome!

Because it would be stupidly expensive.

I see large vials for less than 20 USD. Not too expensive, at least for me.

This would be genuine innovation.

>Put glowy shit all over it
>Innovashun!

>You should get a trip anonfriend...
Please explain?

oh shit, I'm sorry

>own glorious german watch AND gun
You must live in Germany or something.

Just get a trip man, please...

That's pretty based. Steinhart's return policy is a gun to shoot yourself with.

It will be in the best possible taste, user.

Specifically: the day/date fields are not lumed (that I can see) and would not help either after midnight since uncharged fields would be shifted into the apertures and be dark. With full face tritium this would not be a problem anymore.

>bought a $500 Movado
>bracelet already scratched
Fug, what do Sup Forums? Can I polish it out somehow? How do I get the fine uniform brushed finish?

Just copped my babbys first watch. Opinions?

You know the drill /wt/.

This time without my username in the background.

Can't go wrong with an OVM, with all of the features of a Tudor its pretty much the best watch from $0-$2500(especially compared to Sinn snakeoil). Your next step might as well be a Rolex.

It begins.

There should be an option to filter out results from India in ebay.

Pretty sure there is.

throw it in the trash and buy a watch instead of a pile of shit

Solar, RC, solidly built, £80. Do I jump?

Not that I know of. Best I can find is sort by nearest.

You can round it down to
>Nation
>Continent
>Global
Let's be fair here, the first is all you need to ensure it's not a rusky frankenwatch, or some shitstained pajeet school project.

At least matches the date ring to the dial.

Diving watch and alcoholic drinks? OK.

You get one point for a moon phase. Can a digital one be called a complication? Still, not nice. Don't jump. Save for a Speedmaster.

Actually Steinhart intentionally did that because if you look at the 9 O'clock markers its a bit rectangular. This gives the watch a slight symmetry.

>At least matches the date ring to the dial.

That Tag is a multi-kilobuck watch so that's only to be expected. Though you'd be surprised how many companies still fuck that up in that price range.

Super reliable watch

Noob here, I'm getting a bambino with a grey dial, what strap do you guys recommend go with it? Thanks

The Bambino comes with a superb strap. Any strap you buy will likely be a downgrade from what comes with it.

You've obviously never worn an actually good leather strap because the one on the Bambino is mediocre at best.

Why not a 5610 instead?

You can say that about anything if price isn't an issue.

>there will never be an affordable watch with a 100% in house movement

g-guess i better start saving up for a Nomos...

American**********

Ever heard of a little company called Seiko? They are one of possibly even the most vertically integrated watch manufacturer there is.

If leather, you'll want to spend at least $50 to get a decent one. Otherwise you're better off with what comes with it. Also don't buy any strap that is labelled "genuine leather". Make sure it's at least top grain and idealy full grain. Hirsch, Crown and Buckle, and Le Luca are probably your best bet.

Orient?

Recommend me a good watch under $30 that's good for running and one that's good for everyday wearing.

He might not consider Seikos "in house" because their movements are not exclusive to Seiko watches. A lot of Chinese Seagull watches have technically in house movements but you wouldn't consider them to have the prestige of say even a Montblanc with an in-house movement.

All Swiss watches have 90% Chinese made parts. Assembling them in Switzerland is the main cost.

Seiko and Vostok

May as well just buy a Chinese watch with an in-house movement then.

IIRC a lot of $10k+ watches uses Seiko Mainspring. But I guess you know better than Luxury Watch companies.

literally on every surface light is illuminating

What's your budget? You can get Longines column wheel chronograph in-house movement fro around $1700. There are cheap Frederique Constants with in-house movements too.