/tpg/ thinkpad general

X320 meme screen edition

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch (embed)

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1 (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.lenovo.com/pt/en/documents/pd100192
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD3208651&cm_re=lenovo_thinkpad_x220-_-9SIA1ZD3208651-_-Product
howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Replacing_T430_screen_with_a_better_one#T440p.2FT440s_1080p_FHD_IPS_Panel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw gf wants me to help her buy a Thinkpad to replace her old trash

I've brought the meme to real world interaction

>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
Get rid of this!

Dock guys here. So, I was thinking about getting a dock but am worried about the position of the fan. The thing on the left side of the dock seems to be blocking ventilation.

Where can I get a list of "whitelisted" Wifi cards I can use on my Thinkpad? It sounds risky to flash BIOs.

>The thing on the left side of the dock seems to be blocking ventilation.
It does nothing of the sort.

It absolutely partially blocks the fan. I don't have any issues with it normally but when I play CSGO I take it off the dock.

Runs maybe 2 degrees warmer on the dock under normal conditions though, definitely worth the functionality still. No doubt lenovo fucked it up though.

What is the cheapest thinkpad one should get?

x201 master race!

My Nipponese keyboard is in the US so I should get it soon!!

Can someone recommend an SSD for my T60?

I recently bought a new battery for my T410 and I now get five to six hours instead of a mere 1 hour.

What are some tricks to keeping that number high? I haven't owned a laptop in a while and when I did I just used it at home. This thinkpad is both a plaything for me and a work computer for college and personal projects.

Which model is t420 of dell/hp alternatives? And say if you got them instead of t420 how much are you losing?

I am asking for future reference, because I might have to buy them or some new one instead.

I've been in a similar situation too, user.

Anyone know where I can get s T420s and a T420 black skin for cheap? There are some on eBay but overpriced.

Thoughts on the thinkpad 13?

Was considering the version with 1080p + 256ssd.

1 in the pink, 2 in the Think eh my dude?

>SSD
>In a T60
You will be limited to SATA I which 1.5Gb/s which is dogshit.
Build a Frankenpad if you have the 15" 4:3 model

If you need the SSD, any will do, and will serve well in case you upgraded your laptop.

850 evo or whatever you fits your budget

You again? I didn't reply in the last thread, but you should stop being so fucking obnoxious. Don't care about the other laptops? Make a rude remark at whoever's talking about them and move on, just like the rest of us.

Choose your model in the list and download the pdf:
support.lenovo.com/pt/en/documents/pd100192

ADATA SP550.
If it were a T61 you could use a real HDD.

>Real HDD
Real SSD.

>evo
>buying tlc drives
>ever

Virtually useless. The x220 screen is the perfect resolution and this would just be much easier to crack

What exactly is the mod? Is it a mod to an x220 or x301?

screen and bezel mod for the x220

There's a $70 T520 on eBay. No hdd etc

Will my t420 hdd caddy, ram, batteries, dock, i7, all work on a t520? Might be a convenient upgrade.

What's a cheap ThinkPad, no need of a big screen, gonna use external VGA, preferably i5 in order to use Sap netweaver

X201

Does any 1.8 inch msata work well with the X220 or X230 or are there specific brands that should be avoided due to firmware issues etc?
I was thinking of getting a Toshiba or Mircon one

X220

>tfw gf replaced me with a black magnesium rollcaged dildo with a thinkpad logo

>tfw I reviewed her new dildo in /csg/

>Will my t420 hdd caddy, ram, batteries, dock, i7, all work on a t520?
Yes. Not entirely sure about the batteries, I -think- they're the same, but everything else is definitely compatible.

Nobody?

No one wants to see your dumb picture as the OP you should have used the picture from last thread OP, idiot.

look nigger, how did you fucking mount these dell speakers under your monitor?
I got the same speakers and my thinkvision monitor doesn't have clips for it, not mentioning power socket ;_;

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD3208651&cm_re=lenovo_thinkpad_x220-_-9SIA1ZD3208651-_-Product

is this a good buy if I just want to install manjaro so I can learn linux

No info on generation of i5?

I just stuck it on with some 3M command strips and duct tape :^)

X200 or X200s? I'd like a roll cage and I don't care about WWAN.

Are the lenovo batteries on amazon good?
Lots of bad reviews,people complaining that they went from 6 hours to 2-1.5 in 7 months.

HP Elitebook 2710p
250€
128gb ssd
8gb ram

More details of the SSD?

Post that OP wallpaper. I haven't seen it in years.

Feels great to be a part of the master race.

>spyware 10
>master race
ayy lmao

Which part of this is master race ?

I'm looking at the same one right now. Only issue I'm worrying about is the wifi adapter. I think it's the thinkpad trash one instead of intel. Should be easy to replace though.

>w10
>Kingston ssd
>50Hz monitor

>kingston hyperx savage MLC
>best kingston ssd on the market
14 inch screen + quad core + dGPU

>150:1 contrast ratio
>housefire CPU in a laptop that isn't meant to keep it cool
>sorry excuse for a dGPU that's barely faster than an iGPU
what did he mean by this

>barely faster than an iGPU
It can actually handle GTA V at high settings and stable 30FPS.
>housefire CPU
Less overheat than T440p CPU
>150:1
Like I give a shit. Kys

Whats the thinkpad with the best screen for reading?
or just overall best screen

>stable 30FPS
>30FPS
In other words it can't run it.

>housefire CPU in a laptop that isn't meant to keep it cool
Not him but everyone said the same for the t420, then my t420 quad core runs with almost the same temps as the i5.

Fucking magic man.

Yes, the magic of repasting.

Yeah, especially when both were repasted.

Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2016 edition

What are the pros and cons of cloning your operating system and files from a HDD to an ssd? Is it better to just do a full reinstall onto the ssd and just reformat the HDD?

Defrag then clone to SSD

If you're not having any issues other than boot time, a clean install vs cloning is indiscernible

I got myself the e560 did i fuck up ?

The only issue is boot time, plus I don't trust the hard drive since it came with the computer, the ssd on the other hand is brand new.

Just clone it then, fast dirty easy

>X320
It took me a minute of googling to realize that this doesn't exist and then I looked at the picture and noticed it was modded.

How?

I don't have to do any platter aligning or stuff like that? I read somewhere that you need to do that when cloning from HDD to sdd.

not op but i reverse google searched. like you should have.

Oh wait, it's called 'aligning sectors' apparently.
howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/
I've been reading this guide, but it feels a bit outdated. Are all the steps really necessary?

How well do memepads work with external GPUs?

i bought a t420 a while ago, the only problemi'm having is that the when to two fingerscrolling down when i lift up my fingers it shoots up, do i have a bad touchpad? the ebay seller had perfect reviews so i doubt he was trying to jew me

very well

Just got an X230 and did a clean install of Windows 7. The Laptop was reconditioned, so there was Windows 7 on it, but without proper drivers or Lenovo software.

What now? I've never done a clean Windows install before - I'm used to Mac OS X and Linux which just werk.

How do I know what I need to install? Does Windows figure out its own drivers, or do I need to manually install everything relevant from the Lenovo support website?

And what is security like these days - recommended antivirus, etc?

What adapter are you using for it?

The ExpressCard version of the EXP GDC.

Thanks, may get this and a rx 460-470.

Btw just found out some 460's don't have pin for a PSU and power off of the motherboard. I'm assuming this wouldn't work with a laptop?

Well you need to use an external PSU for the EXP GDC so i don't see why it wouldn't work.

Bump. It's a stupid question maybe, but I can't seem to find an answer on Google.

You're a better man than me.
Tried to get my girl to do the same as well and she ended up with a Macbook Pro in spite of all my well-meant advice. Feels batman.

WHATS THE LATEST AMD THINKPAD T OR X? I keep asking this yet no answer. I have a x100e and I need more power for my 1080p furry SFM videos

>bought a T450s
>tried playing some games
>it's trash
Will it be able to run CAM and CAD software or did I just waste my money on a meme machine?

Basic components should work out of the box, with stock Windows drivers. Have a look on Lenovo website for their software.

I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or Malwarebytes. Don't use Norton or McAfee.

>T450s
>s
>new thinkpads

lol

You bought the wrong thing for playing games, I'm not sure the thinkpad has ever been memed here as a gaming laptop. Sell it and buy a T420

Disturbing lack of IBM logos ITT

CAD runs fine on mine.

What's the thinkpad model that you can turn the keyboard and use like a tablet with a touch screen?

Solidworks?

Yoga

What's the difference between that and the X220t?

In other words it's a typical console experience.
Seriously, kill yourself.

Thanks. Normally run Linux, but want a working Windows install as well for Office and Matlab.

Kinda. They're not really bad computers, they just aren't really ThinkPads.

Ok well i will take the plunge and try it myself.

can you post your wallpaper?

9/10, nitpick on not having a glass of whisky and white IBM keyboard instead of the overpriced black keyboard so that everything is matching.

Oh come on..

sorry tired af. scrolled past it :/

Is it correct that only the X1 Carbon got 14" + 1080p and that the T430/440 only got 900p max.?

>templeOS
oh shit!

Anywho, what OS do you use? Lenovo Power manager has some advanced features under the battery tab and you can limit charging thesholds on your laptop. So in theory you can leave it plugged in and it won't overcharge the battery & go off of AC power

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Replacing_T430_screen_with_a_better_one#T440p.2FT440s_1080p_FHD_IPS_Panel

"t430 1080p" first google search

Batteries should be fine.
T520 has the caddy placed on bottom, but you could use the rubber rails.

No idead about Kaby Lake ThinkPads if thats what you are asking.
I've heard ThinkPads may skip a processor gen... idk

They are no different from the 3rd party ones on eBay.
Also I wouldn't doubt those are dumbasses buying & reviewing them, who probably leaves the AC adapter plugged in 24/7 when not in use.
Stick with anker, they have a reputable warranty (i personally just buy genuine refurb'd batteries on ebay when I find a 'deal')

>didn't get an IPS modded FHD display
granted I can't upgrade my T430s to quadcore or dGPU.

Rigght and a $3000 18" Gaymen laptop DESTROYS it right?

I am guessing that someone from 51nb probably works at a place where they make those cables/display/motherboards and happens to get some experience from messing with motherboards.

I mean as long as you lookup the pinout for the screens, you can use them.
Kinda like how a W500 can drive a 15" IPS T60 display.

I like my FapBook Pro with Rectal Display
And my Tblazeit
Also my Elitebook

What's your complaint? You don't appreciate a good business laptop?