/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Back from the dead edition.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.

- Always state the purpose of your PC and your budget. If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price, or improve specs or build quality.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xHvF8K
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Vwtgbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZmFFtJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/nwvy4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/mCFW3F
pcpartpicker.com/user/Interrobang42/saved/y6hP6h
pcpartpicker.com/list/X3ZfvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/4j278K
pcpartpicker.com/list/LDjpHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/F8ZfvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNyk9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/Jf278K
pcpartpicker.com/list/9v278K
pcpartpicker.com/list/PxjpHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/jhb8r7
pcpartpicker.com/list/Dpk2VY
pcpartpicker.com/list/CTHPVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/Xdsk9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/KQFGLD
pcpartpicker.com/list/PNXv3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/htdK3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/vFYGqk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pcpartpicker.com/list/xHvF8K
Oh Great Falcon, I summon thee.

Don't let this one die Sup Forums

As I wait in agony for anyone to get a 480 in this damn country for my new PC I have started to look at other options.

Managed to find a 980 for a couple of bucks cheaper then a 480. Do i Wait or take the 980

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Vwtgbj
How is this for gaming? I will use a lot of storage as I hoard stuff

A 980 will kick ass at 1080p and do respectably at 1440p. It doesn't hold up as well in dx12 though.
If you've been waiting a long time tho just buy the 980 and play some damn games.

>It doesn't hold up as well in dx12 though.
Well shit that was exactly what I didn't want to hear

You should get a 650w or 700w power supply at most.

it feels good that i made the first /pcb/ and now it's self-sustainable. whatever happened to the avatarfag?

Meant to reply to

600W seems excessive for that setup.

For gaming, 32GB of RAM is excessive. 16 is perfectly adequate, and you'll likely never even top 10 or 12Gb used at once.

Rate, suggest equvalencies that will save me a few bucks.
PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/ZmFFtJ

>CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg)
>Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
>Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.39 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
>Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($439.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.69 @ SuperBiiz)
>Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1364.40

If your build is only rated at 423W, why are you getting a 650W power supply instead of a 500 or even 550W one?

Why, do you play hitman and literally nothing else ever?

pcpartpicker.com/list/nwvy4C
my first build, where did I fuck up?
Been revising it for a long time so hopefully it's good enough to run runescape.

Futureproofing, mostly. That and the modular ones I looked at were about the same price, +/- $5.

Power supply is overkill unless you're gonna future proof like the other user. Also, get a 1 or 2TB HDD, idk what the hell you're thinking 120GB is gonna do for you.

Gotcha, nothing else really comes to mind then.

Yeah, pretty much what said. Get a lower wattage PSU. In terms of storage, trade out your liquid cooler for a noctua or something and use the difference in cash to buy a $50 1TB HDD. Or just spend the extra $50.

pcpartpicker.com/list/mCFW3F

Gonna be using this for digital design, three monitors. Some gaming.

I'm hoping that I'll have excess wattage if I ever plan to SLI or do... whatever else would significantly increase the power draw
Besides at $70 after rebate, it's overkill that costs as much as non-overkill
And that drive is actually for my laptop, so I can swap out the 500GB Intel 730 SSD that's in it now. I want an extra HDD for backups but I can buy that anywhere at anytime once the computers all together

Oh shit wrong list
pcpartpicker.com/user/Interrobang42/saved/y6hP6h

Hey Sup Forums, I'm currently using a 7950 graphics card. I like it, I've had it for 3 years now, it still plays games well, but it's always been loud.

I just want something a bit quieter. I was thinking about getting a 1060 or 480 soon, but I'm not sure what to get. M-Maybe someone can help.

I'm not going to be using SLI. I was leaning more towards Nvidia. AMD drivers haven't been a huge problem, but I've had more driver crashes with AMD in 3 years than I had with Nvidia in a decade.

What would Sup Forums recommend?

>$200 CPU
>$100 cooler
Seems kind of an odd combination. Even for games, you'd probably get better performance if you just get 6700k and a cheap cooler. It also seems a bit odd to get a cheap SSD when you have $1200 budget, but then, apparently the difference between bad and good SSD isn't all that big in normal use, if you just use it for OS and often used programs or so I've been told.

pcpartpicker.com/list/X3ZfvV
I just received the parts, I'm going to assemble it tomorrow.
How bad did I fuck up ?

How bad I'm doing? I want a compact near-silent computer for work mostly, not many games other than Civ 5 @ 2560x1600

pcpartpicker.com/list/

Is the 6700k worth an extra $100? I'm just playing games and processing audio, the h100i cooler is really just there to fill up my case honestly (not sure which aircoolers would fit in the mATX case though), and I have a better SSD ready to be swapped when the time comes

I hope you made sure that laptop drive will work with what you have there.

If that 300W estimation is accurate, 550W also seems excessive, but idk if you planned on futureproofing.

I'd say nvidia, but I'm just some guy.

poweeeerrrr

Those parts are overkill for just "work" depending on what that is. If you're set on them, good call on liquid, that'll be much quieter.

If you have the extra $100, the 6700K is a solid gaming processor.

>poweeeerrrr
?

For audio processing, it should be good bit faster, since I'm pretty sure that can use all the threads. For video, it's not much better but it does show an advantage in many games.

Your power supply is almost double the rating estimates for those components.

620W is fine for his build. I went a little above original reqs for my build but I ended up adding 4 HDD's and more powerful fans about a year later.

Yeah, wasn't saying it was bad, since I assumed expansion.

Just a few nitpicks to save you cash
>it doesn't seem like you'll need the noctua unless you're overclocking
>you could buy a slightly cheaper mobo or case if you want
>wifi adapter is for what purpose?
Other than that you're golden

Get a more efficient PSU, get a gold+ rated one. Maybe also 16GB of RAM?

Should have upped memory and gotten a better rated PSU.

fix your link

Fuck I'm an idiot

pcpartpicker.com/list/4j278K

Switch to a 500 or 550W PSU.

Consider a better case. Small crunchy cases like that will get hotter faster than a proper ATX.

>upped memory
What does that mean ? More ram or faster clocked ram ?

Yeah boy!

pcpartpicker.com/list/LDjpHN

kys

pcpartpicker.com/list/F8ZfvV

I already have the 750 Ti, HDD, and case.

Total cost for the other parts is 325 dollars through local stores.

Should I go for it????

good to go, do it.

750Ti is pretty deprecated by nowm and will most assuredly be the bottleneck of that system. Why not at least get a used 9xx series?

Are ADATA SSDs any good, or is it worth spending a little extra for a 750 EVO

Agreed. A refurbished gtx 960 can be found for like $120 on a good day.

Whats the smallest case and PSU I can use with this mobo for under a $100 total?

Just using 4gb or ram and 1 SSD

ASRock Mini N3150B-ITX

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNyk9W

did this for a friend who wants to max out AAA graphics at 1440p at 60fps, and bring it to local multiplayer parties occasionally. not sure whether the mobo includes an SLI bridge. will it have heat or space issues?

>"alright, let's take a look at the proce-"
>xeon

You're no friend of his in the 1% chance you're serious. Otherwise, try harder next time.

why not? it's $120 cheaper than an i5 and the performance is the same as an i5-6500, according to cpubenchmark.net.

Xeon's are SHIT when it comes to gaming, because most games don't use more than one core. Xeons are designed for workstations that utilize all of them for intensive tasks like rendering.

Remove the other 1070, get that i5 or even a 6700k, and an LGA 1151 mobo for starters. I'm not sure your friend was smart to trust you with an expensive build like that.

>xeon

I'm going to upgrade to a 960 or rx 470 eventually. i don't really game enough to justify upgrading my card right away.

>with two 1070

>Xeon's are SHIT when it comes to gaming, because most games don't use more than one core.
No they aren't. The IPC is the same and the clocks are only slightly lower. And all new games do, in fact, use multiple cores, even if they're bad at taking full advantage of more than one or two.

games don't bottleneck on the CPU hardly ever AFAIK; how does it make a difference? I have a Q6600 and a GTX 660 and the GPU is always the bottleneck in games.

>Q6600

Any comments on this build? Haven't build a PC in a long time.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Jf278K

Rate/comments? Will be using for gaymen, future overclocking, and running 5+ VMs for testing work stuffs
pcpartpicker.com/list/9v278K

Buy a z170 motherboard

Ram is overpriced. If you're doing 5+ vms simultaneously, you might be one of the few people to actually use 32gb + of ram. Psu is kind of nuts but hey go for it.

So something more like pcpartpicker.com/list/PxjpHN ?

Im on mobile right now, so i don't know if that specific PSU is good or not (rest of the thread welcome to chime in), but yes that seems better to me.

Thinking about it now, I probably won't use any 4k resolutions. 4k doesn't seem all that impressive unless you're using a huge screen where you could make out pixels more easily. And I can't really see myself making use of a hueg screen in my bedroom.
So probably will stick to with a 1080 resolution, but I won't turn down 1440 resolutions.
Also better framerates, which is nice. Although I don't see much point in going past 60fps.

More memory, sorry. Preferably 16gb

If you want a miniATX case, switch to a PSU that has a fan. Excess heat inside an enclosed case like that is a no-no.

Not sure if this is a joke or not. If it isn't:
>change PSUs. Seriously. Go for a 550W.
>take the PSU money and get a decent GPU
>get better priced memory sticks
>dunno about AMD processors, but I'll assume you fucked up there too.

Get a gold rated PSU, that's about it.

Change the processor, cpu fan, motherboard, memory, all of it. Seriously? 1/10, try again.

You don't need $110 ram or a titanium-rated PSU. You could probably save $100 between the two. Otherwise, you're gucci.
>wait, I read the posts
Yeah, switch out the ram for 32gb and you're good, if you're running 5 VMs

>More memory, sorry. Preferably 16gb
I don't have enough money to buy 16gb right away but I'll buy an extra 8 gb in 1-2 months.
Any other tip ? It's the first PC I'll build, I don't want to fuck it up too much.

How much longer will ddr3 be around, do you think?

What brand/s do you stick to, /pcbg/? Which do you avoid?

pcpartpicker.com/list/jhb8r7
Any advice is appreciated.

Following blindly ANY brand is no bueno. Just research each product before you buy it.

>Following blindly
I didn't quite say that. I mean like, if you have a whole bunch of newish parts, no substantial reviews on any of them yet, which brand would you grab?

One of them for me is Gigabyte when it comes to mobos. Maybe because I'm used to them, maybe because I didn't have one die on me yet or on one of my friends.

Summons received. All good. You have checked reviews for the case, and are ok with it?

Until Zen.

A bit unbalanced. I definitely suggest a better PSU at least. Is this for gaming? If yes, reduce the CPU (maybe by half) and improve the GPU.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Dpk2VY
Not for gaming; also would like to know what size monitor you guys recommend if im sitting a normal distance away from my computer

pcpartpicker.com/list/CTHPVY

1st build was tired of getting 12 fps on a shitty 500$ laptop

Just for browsing? The i5 is overkill and might not even be better suited than a higher clocked i3 since most desktop programs have no need to be multithreaded.

f-future proofing?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Xdsk9W

update: I decided to downgrade the CPU and mobo a bit and reinvest the money in better graphics. will this have heat issues?

What are you planning to use this for? You have a pretty strong CPU, average RAM but then a weak GPU, so if you need processing power for like rendering video or something that's cool, but it'll suck for gaming. Also
>buying Windows

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Xdsk9W
If you wanna build in a small micro itx tower you will need blower type coolers (like the reference cards) on those GPU's. Long story short that shit is gonna get hot as fuck probably unsusable.

What's the best I can get under 350$? Assuming all I need is: cpu/mobo/ram/gpu

>2 (two) 1080s

But why?

pcpartpicker.com/list/KQFGLD
Something like this.

>Core 2 era Xeon
It might not have heat issues, but it will have performance issues up the ass.
Your build is retarded.

I'd highly suggest to up the budget to 400 though and get something like this.
pcpartpicker.com/list/PNXv3F

I figured. It's why I'm kinda waiting to see what Zen is really capable of and for possibly any other price drops and when, exactly, Zen is coming out maybe.

pcpartpicker.com/list/htdK3F

So I used the choosemypc site listed on the wiki since I'm not sure what the hip shit is right now, and just made modifications based on other shit I read on LI. One of my concerns is just the case and cooler. My google-fu is probably weak but I haven't found a definite answer on whether or not they'll work together. I feel like the PSU might be a bad idea too, and I'm too retarded to understand why this is the case.

Trying to build a
>gaming
pc primarily though, which is why I'm going with SLI 1080s.

>SLI 1080's for just gaming
>$2500 rig
holy fuck look at mr moneybags.

Okay, first of all you DO NOT need two 1080s. I have a "gaming rig" and I never spend more than 600 AUD (so ~450 USD) on a card. SLI and Crossfire are both inherently worse than just buying one good card, since they introduce room for microstuttering, compatibility issues etc. Lastly (on the side of the GPU at least) you will not find a single game that's currently out that a 1080 cannot handle on its own, and there probably won't be a game that can push that card for another 3+ years.

Other issues
>core i7
Not needed, video games use very little actual processing power. Just get an i5.
>liquid cooler
Wouldn't recommend it, unless you live in a desert. Minimal temp reduction for both an increase in price and that slight risk of water damage.
>Seagate HDD
I've heard horror stories of their reliability, I myself just stick to Western Digital drives.

Everything else otherwise looks okay, you just seriously must hate money with those CPU and GPU choices.

Mid/Full sized Case Recommendations?

I've got a Fractal Design Define R4 case for my build, but unfortunately, some components went missing a while back and it's a bit of a pain to put back together, so I'm looking to look for a decent replacement and actually put it together properly, either full-size or mid-size. Here's my build-
pcpartpicker.com/list/vFYGqk

My limit is around 130 bucks, and USB 3.0 ports somewhere on the front. Other than that, I'm not sure what I want in a case. Don't really give a crap about water-cooling or anything of that level.

I decided to get some new RAM yesterday and I double checked the clearance on the DH 15's heatsink, so everything's okay there. However, I underestimated how much higher the fan would have to sit above the RAM, and it resulted in me not being able to put the case back on top so I've had to change the fan layout to what it is in the picture. Will this have any negative cooling effects or will it do about the same job? I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a third fan 120mm fan that'd fit over the RAM, what do you guys think?

I have i7 920@4Ghz, should I change for better CPU?
My budget is about 250$ for CPU.

Is this PSU decent? i got a $50 deal for it wich is the cheapest on the third world country that i live

EVGA make fine CPUs, and at 600W you won't be lacking for power unless you're looking at running power heavy cards in SLI whilst overclocking everything with a million fans installed.

I meant NH D15, not DH 15. To clarify the fan setup, the center one is pulling air from the right heatsink and blowing to the left, and the left one is doing the same blowing it out to the exit fan on the case on the left.

I remember reading poor reviews about their older SSDs. I don't know if their new stuff is good or not.

>I'm wondering if it's worth picking up a third fan 120mm fan that'd fit over the RAM, what do you guys think?
Nope. The heatsink isn't dense enough for it to make a difference past margin of error.
You'd likely even see the same temps with just the middle fan.

I use (and recommend) the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, if you want a cheap quality full size case.

You cannot get a new i7 (or even i5) + good mobo + DDR4 RAM with your budget. If your current CPU is ok with your typical tasks, keep it till you have a higher budget. If purely gaming, and you are fine with downgrading your multi-threaded power, you can get a modern i3+mobo+RAM with that budget.

Push/pull is most efficient. However, at most, you will lose maybe a few degrees of cooling. You are perfectly fine.

Alright, i mostly going to use to power my i3 6100 and a gtx 950.