Looking for new Monitor

I got a new GTX 1070 and I was looking to upgrade to a better monitor. What is Sup Forums's opinion on the Dell S2716DG? I saw it on sale at BestBuy for $450 and I can't decide if I should get that or the Acer XB240H. Initially I was going to buy a cheaper 24" 144hz TN panel now and get a nice 1440P IPS Panel around Black Friday. Should I pull the trigger on this 1440p Gsync TN panel or get a cheap 144hz TN and get a nicer 1440p IPS later?

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?id=bb5293502&skuId=5293502
ebay.com/itm/Acer-1440p-144hz-27-Inch-Monitor-1ms-Response-Frees-Sync-/291852592338?hash=item43f3c524d2:g:FVgAAOSwgZ1Xum88
ebay.com/itm/BenQ-XL2720Z-27-144hz-1ms-GTG-Gaming-Monitor-for-eSports-Refurbished-/161793533715?hash=item25aba56713:g:frUAAOSwAvJW~CiF
bestbuy.com/site/acer-xb240h-24-led-hd-gsync-monitor-black/5515004.p?id=bb5515004&skuId=5515004
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025112&nm_mc=BAC-Criteo&cm_mmc=BAC-Criteo-_-Monitors - LCD Flat Panel-_-LG Electronics-_-24025112
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>TN

Never, ever.

so it's a bad idea to get this Dell? ANy info if the Acer XB240H is good? BestBuy got it for $300 right now

Its a 144hz gsync dell gaming monitor the only bad thing is the price.

Its a badass monitor.

only bad thing is that it's a TN. The price isn't bad for a 27" 1440p Gsync monitor but since it's a TN it's flawed.

Said It's a good monitor, but after experiencing TN I vowed to never buy one ever again. Personal preference though.

The price... For a TN is pretty shit. IPS would've been a different story.

That Acer you posted is good, but for $600, I'm not sure. I'd search for sales, monitors are always getting deals, it just seems like it's actually rare to get a monitor for $600 unless it's ultrawide

Best buy has it on sale for $300 thought. I'd never pay that much for a TN panel lol

>g-sync
>+
pick one and only one.

If you want a monitor for primarily playing games, TN is what you want. Don't let autistic idiots who have no idea what they are talking about tell you otherwise.

If you're going with the Acer get the AOC G2460PG instead. They have the same panel but the acer suffers from really terrible backlight bleeding on the bottom right corner

that's $390 currently. At that price might as well buy the Dell for $60 more

Can you give me the dell link?

It's excellent. I have one and several of my friends picked one up after checking mine out.

The TN naysayers are retarded. As said, TN is what you want.

bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?id=bb5293502&skuId=5293502

Pretty nice. Shame it's an TN panel, but IPS G-SYNC monitors cost upwards of 700€ so you can't get both for 400 or even 500 (unless it's a used monitor, maybe)

On another note, do you have a PC capable of running games at 1440p? Because 1080p will look blurry as shit in a 1440p screen

I have a GTX 1070 FE with i5 4690K 8GB DDR3. I'm upscaling games like Overwatch and getting 120fps

Bump for interest

TN is shit desu senpai. Never ever buy TN.

Literally just for poorfags. Fuck off.

>1070
>upscaling Overwatch
Fucking what? You can get ~140FPS on Ultra preset at real 1440p.

I have a 24" IPS Ultrasharp lad.

Yea but doesn't mean shit since my monitor has 60hz refresh

Good for you. TN is still shit and has been deprecated since decent IPS panels stopped having ghosting issues a few years ago.

If you want faster refresh rates, stick with TN. If you do more things with your monitor, and want better colors, go IPS.

Haters hating on anything they dont have is stupid...

Give me a good 1440p 144hz IPS panel for less then $500. Go on, I'll wait

If you pay more than $500 for a panel you are getting memed

>less then $500
And we've looped back to my thesis.
>Literally just for poorfags. Fuck off.

Bought a VG248QE last year for $200 when it went on sale. 144hz is baller as fuck, but colors are always shitty. Told myself to wait for a 1440p 144hz IPS. Just bought a used PG279Q for a good price, it's so much better.
I'd hold out OP, a good TN is still TN

I'm not poor, I just won't buy into the Gaymer ROG and Predator bullshit. Difference being poor and pissing money away on junk

TN Panels are not deprecated, IPS is not the end all be all for every scenario. If you are mostly playing games, you want a TN Panel for the vastly superior response times. If you are mostly doing photo or video editing, you will want an IPS display. If you are doing both, you might want to look into a VA panel or just get separate displays for each task.

Every panel type has its advantages and disadvantages, there is no universally superior panel type. Until OLED takes off anyway.

>you want a TN Panel for the vastly superior response times.
Modern IPS G-SYNC panels have very similar response times to TN panels

The IPS panel in this situation actually has less lag than the TN panel (PG279Q and 278 respectively)

I find it hilarious how the PG278Q, being a TN panel, costs about 700€

That is input or signal lag, not response time. The pixels on TN panels are able to switch faster and smoother than IPS can ever manage. Even if they don't have outright ghosting anymore, they are still slower and feel less responsive when playing games. Its something that is incredibly apparent when you play around with two displays in person. A good TN panels just feels better to play games on.

>paying $100 extra for sync when the competition does it for free

So I want to get a 4k monitor, thinking of Samsung U28E850R but its a TN. Would you guys suggest spending the extra £200 for a BenQ BL3201PT which is an IPS? I don't really do graphic design on a daily basis

If you want to get a 4k monitor for primarily playing games, don't. GPU performance just isn't there yet.

I do a lot of music production so the higher resolution will help me have a lot of shit on at the same time. Alternatively I could go for a second monitor but I figured I might as well future proof myself. I would also like to game at 1440p so the alternative is getting a monitor that will support that

>repeats dumb shit he reads on Sup Forums

kek, fucking faggot.

1440p on a 4k display doesn't scale right, it ends up looking blurrier than 1080p. However the productivity boost from 4k is very real, much better than dual monitors for me personally but I'm just autistic like that.

>for free
Freesync is significantly cheaper, but it still costs more than a normal monitor

>1440p on a 4k display doesn't scale right
that's a shame, how res do you normally play games on? Also any comments on the IPS vs TN?

REALITY CHECK TN RETARDS
YOU AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO FACTOR IN THE RESPONSE TIME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TN PANEL AND A GOOD IPS PANEL

A TN PANEL WITH 1 MS RESPONSE IS STILL INFERIOR TO AN IPS WITH 4 MS RESPONSE BECAUSE TN WILL ALWAYS LOOK LIKE SHIT COMPARED TO IPS AND ONLINE GAMES ALREADY HAVE LATENCY SO THE FUCKING RESPONSE TIME IS MOOT UNLESS YOU ARE USING SOME SERIOUS KOREAN TRASH

1080p scales perferctly to 4K though and doesn't cause blur like scaling 1440p to 4K. Side effect is huge, stretched pixels obviously

I see thanks for the feedback user. I think Im sold on your productivity comment

>IPS
Good: Best Color Accuracy and Picture Quality in general, perfect viewing angles
Bad: Slower response times, don't perform as well in contrast ratio, and tend to suffer from more backlight issues

>TN
Good: Best response times and motion quality, also tend to have more even backlighting.
Bad: Colors won't be as good as a comparable IPS panel, and all TN panels no matter how good otherwise will always have garbage viewing angles

You also have VN panels, which are sort of a best of both worlds situation. They have good color accuracy and picture quality, good viewing angles, outstanding contrast, and better response times than IPS. However they are extremely hit or miss and tend to have really weird random issues like banding in solid colors, temporary image retention/persistence, or ghosting. I've never seen a perfect VN panel, they all have some random thing wrong with them.

Monitor
-Dell Refurbished UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2414H
$143.50 + 10.05 tax (Dell.com 6/28/15) = $ 153.55

That's the monitor I have lad. Its great but I want more than 60Hz refresh for my GTX 1070 so I'm selling the 2414H to my gf and getting a new monitor with 144Hz refresh

if you're in the US you still have to pay taxes on best buy. it comes out to 485$ not really that great a deal

>non-ironically wanting to pay the g-sync tax

why shouldn't i buy this?

ebay.com/itm/Acer-1440p-144hz-27-Inch-Monitor-1ms-Response-Frees-Sync-/291852592338?hash=item43f3c524d2:g:FVgAAOSwgZ1Xum88

>Used
>Shipping price gouge
>21:9

you're right.

Ugh why is it so hard to find an 144hz IPS monitor? I'd even use 1080p if it was adequately priced

Ok, how about..

ebay.com/itm/BenQ-XL2720Z-27-144hz-1ms-GTG-Gaming-Monitor-for-eSports-Refurbished-/161793533715?hash=item25aba56713:g:frUAAOSwAvJW~CiF

Of course, I plan on getting 2x.

That's it lads, I'm getting this and getting a good 1440p IPS in November

bestbuy.com/site/acer-xb240h-24-led-hd-gsync-monitor-black/5515004.p?id=bb5515004&skuId=5515004

I've heard mostly good things about BenQ's gaming focused stuff.

>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025112&nm_mc=BAC-Criteo&cm_mmc=BAC-Criteo-_-Monitors - LCD Flat Panel-_-LG Electronics-_-24025112

what about this one? ips, freesynce, 60hz?